Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Mosaic (HBO limited series) C: Soderbergh -- choose your own path series -- 1/22/18

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Mosaic (HBO limited series) C: Soderbergh -- choose your own path series -- 1/22/18

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-18, 09:54 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Km_u51OE3VA" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fUdbzRifJ2E" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BIVGh32dVnE" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A twisting tale of passion, intrigue and deception, conceived and directed by Steven Soderbergh. Mosaic focuses on the disappearance of a high-profile resident of picturesque Summit, Utah and the four-year effort by law-enforcement and civilians to discover the truth behind the crime.

Steven Soderbergh’s Mosaic, which will air on HBO on January 22, is an app that allows users to choose their path through the story. As a story, Mosaic is a classic murder mystery. As a medium for entertainment, it’s like nothing you’ve ever seen before.

Here’s what people are saying:

WIRED magazine’s Angela Watercutter sees Mosaic as an “ambitious experiment, but in the hands of Soderbergh, it’s one that looks as slick as anything you’re likely to catch on cable this month.”

The Boston Globe says the app marks a paradigm shift in the way we watch entertainment. Critic Michael Andor Brodeur notes, “The most forward-thinking experiment I’ve encountered in TV comes via an app.”

In an interview with Soderbergh, Casey Newton from The Verge finds a connection between the narrative structure of Mosaic and our contemporary political culture: “...at a time when unreliable narrators and questions about authenticity dominate the national news, Soderbergh says he does hope the interactive experience gives viewers an opportunity to reflect on the holes in their own perspective.”

TechCrunch’s Josh Constine sees Mosaic as part of a new and necessary frontier in video entertainment: “If television and film are going to keep up with the worlds of web video and gaming, they’ll need to evolve beyond the strict broadcast format. When you have a hand in how the story plays out, you feel more emotionally tied to the outcome.”

CNET’s Patrick Holland puts it succinctly, “Mosaic is part of a new wave of interactive content driven by technology and creativity.”

Download the free Mosaic app in the App Store or Google Play and begin the story.
Old 01-15-18, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
re: Mosaic (HBO limited series) C: Soderbergh -- choose your own path series -- 1/22/18

Soderbergh is so sink or swim with every project. I'm definitely gonna give this one a try.
Old 01-21-18, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
re: Mosaic (HBO limited series) C: Soderbergh -- choose your own path series -- 1/22/18

Looking forward to checking this out tomorrow. I had thought it was going to air tonight.
Old 01-24-18, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Mosaic (HBO limited series) C: Soderbergh -- choose your own path series -- 1/22/

Where is the choose your own path component of this show? My DVR cuts off during the 51 minute mark and thats it?
Old 01-24-18, 12:31 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts
Re: Mosaic (HBO limited series) C: Soderbergh -- choose your own path series -- 1/22/

Originally Posted by starseed1981
Where is the choose your own path component of this show? My DVR cuts off during the 51 minute mark and thats it?
There's an app for that. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mosa...294357111?mt=8
Old 01-24-18, 04:39 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

Here’s a pretty good article on the app and tv version

https://heavy.com/news/2018/01/hbo-m...rst-different/
Old 01-24-18, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by MrX
Here’s a pretty good article on the app and tv version

https://heavy.com/news/2018/01/hbo-m...rst-different/
Thanks for the link!
I wasn't clear on the best way to watch this series and/or app - and while it was starting to border on "too much work" - that stressed to watch the series and then play with app (if you wish).

Perfect.
Old 01-24-18, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Just watched the first episode. That was weird and confusing and I didn’t get it. Don’t know if I will stick with it.
Old 01-25-18, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The app component isn't really as advertised. You aren't choosing the narrative or where it goes. Just a different edit of it with research documents.

Still, aside from Soderbergh's natural lighting filled cinematography, I'm enjoying it. I don't know why HBO felt the need to burn off all five episodes in a week but whatever.
Old 01-26-18, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked the series and would watch a second season. That being said the finale sucked. The was the most unsatisfactory ending I've seen in years.
Old 01-27-18, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

So what was up with the tattoos? They focused on that at least 3 separate times, but it was never explained (unless I just totally missed it).
Old 01-27-18, 01:34 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dino88
So what was up with the tattoos? They focused on that at least 3 separate times, but it was never explained (unless I just totally missed it).
I missed it too. That sign was also on a truck or bumper sticker or something like that. Also, what was up with the expensive painting in hispanic woman's house? Was that some kind of payoff? Was it ever explained?
Old 02-26-18, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

We watched it and liked it with the exception of the ending*. Also agree that the tattoos going unexplained or even acknowledged better in some way is inexcusable unless they are for sure doing a 2nd season.

*Will forgive the way S1 ended if they are doing a S2.

One potentially obvious plot hole, if they aren't doing a S2, is that Nate believes that someone drags Eric's old crime partner back out for a reason. Why are they doing that if it is Joel? It makes no sense as Joel would not have the means or wherewithal to do something like that.