Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams (Amazon) -- Sci-Fi Anthology series -- 1/12/18

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-18, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams (Amazon) -- Sci-Fi Anthology series -- 1/12/18

Based on various writings from author Philip K. Dick, each of the ten standalone episodes are set in a different and unique world - some which lay in the far reaches of the universe, and others which are much closer to home. While the stories may be worlds apart, central to each is the poignant and warm exploration of the importance and significance of humanity. From five to 5000 years in the future, each compelling tale will both illustrate Philip K. Dick's prophetic vision and celebrate the enduring appeal of the prized sci-fi novelist's work.

Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams features an all-star cast, including Steve Buscemi (Boardwalk Empire), Bryan Cranston (Breaking Bad), Greg Kinnear (Heaven is For Real), Maura Tierney (The Affair), Janelle Monáe (Moonlight), Mireille Enos (The Catch), Anna Paquin (True Blood), Terrence Howard (Empire), Timothy Spall (Mr. Turner), Liam Cunningham (Game of Thrones), Richard Madden (Game of Thrones), Holliday Grainger (The Finest Hours), Mel Rodriguez (Last Man on Earth), Vera Farmiga (Bates Motel), Jack Reynor (Macbeth), Essie Davis (The Babadook), Benedict Wong (Doctor Strange), Geraldine Chaplin (A Monster Calls), Juno Temple (Vinyl) and David Lyons (Revolution), among many others.

Each episode is inspired by one of Philip K. Dick's renowned short stories and has been adapted by leading American and British writers and directors, including Ronald D. Moore (Battlestar Galactica, Outlander), Michael Dinner (Justified, Sneaky Pete), Tony Grisoni (Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas), Jack Thorne (Harry Potter and the Cursed Child), Matthew Graham (Doctor Who), David Farr (The Night Manager), Dee Rees (Bessie), Travis Beacham (Pacific Rim), Jessica Mecklenburg (Stranger Things), Francesca Gregorini (Humans), Alan Taylor (Game of Thrones, Mad Men) and Peter Horton (Grey's Anatomy, The Shield).

10 episode season

The is from Ronald D. Moore, the creator of Battlestar Galactica and Outlander.

Premieres today (1/12/18) on Prime video

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/470TG3AdA1A" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That's a pretty amazing cast that they've assembled for this.
Old 01-12-18, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts
Re: Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams (Amazon) -- Sci-Fi Anthology series -- 1/12/18

This is a surprise ...
Old 01-13-18, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts
Re: Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams (Amazon) -- Sci-Fi Anthology series -- 1/12/18

I watched the first episode last night and it was good but I have no memory of how it ended. I'll have to go back an rewatch it before I continue. For a minute there I thought it was going to continue on, but remembered that it's a standalone series anthology.
Old 01-13-18, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I watched the 1st episode (in Amazon's order, but 5th in the British order) titled "Real Life".

Wow! This show starts off great. It's like having another "Black Mirror"-ish anthology series to watch.
Old 01-13-18, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, went back and watched it again and also the 2nd episode. They were great. I'm on episode 3 - the one with Bryan Cranston.
Old 01-14-18, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm about to watch the final episode. Yeah, this is a terrific show and I hope it gets renewed for a 2nd season.
Old 01-25-18, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 392 Likes on 280 Posts

Saw "real life" and enjoyed it. Will probably watch more. Any reason to watch in order on this (british vs American?) I presume as they are stand alone it wont matter either way but I caught that this was episode 5 abroad..
Old 01-25-18, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Real Life and AutoFac were pretty good. I’ll knock out a couple of eps per weekend for the next month.
Old 01-31-18, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 392 Likes on 280 Posts

I'm finding this to be very uneven.. I couldn't finish episode 4, got about 20 min in and just lost interest. Found episode 5 to be kind of meh too. First three were pretty good, but I find Im in no rush to pick the show up again...