Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The X-Files (S11E01) -- Season Premiere -- "My Struggle III" -- 1/3/18

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-18, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
The X-Files (S11E01) -- Season Premiere -- "My Struggle III" -- 1/3/18

THE TRUTH IS CLOSER THAN EVER ON THE ALL-NEW SEASON PREMIERE OF "THE X-FILES" WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 3, ON FOX

Episode Written and Directed by Series Creator Chris Carter

Picking up after the last event series' cliffhanger, Mulder and Scully learn that they aren't the only ones desperately searching for their long-lost son, William. The very fate of the world may depend on it in the all-new "My Struggle III" season premiere episode of THE X-FILES airing Wednesday, Jan. 3 (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (XF-1101) (TV-14 D, L, V)

Cast: David Duchovny as Fox Mulder; Gillian Anderson as Dana Scully; Mitch Pileggi as Walter Skinner

Guest Cast: William B. Davis as Cigarette Smoking Man; Annabeth Gish as Monica Reyes; Chris Owen as Jeffrey Spender; AC Peterson as Mr. Y; Barbara Hershey as Erika Price; Robbie Amell as Agent Miller; Lauren Ambrose as Agent Einstein; Anjali Jay As Dr. Joyet

10 episode 11th season

According to Carter, there will 2 Mythology episodes and the rest will be Procerdural.

http://ew.com/tv/2017/08/08/x-files-...s-next-season/

My guess is the premiere and finale will be the serialized episodes.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IRdrt8nPyy8" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-03-18, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Re: The X-Files (S11E01) -- Season Premiere -- "My Struggle III" -- 1/3/18

Duchovny looks oddly bloated in the face. Anderson looks as hot as ever.
Old 01-03-18, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya

10 episode 11th season

According to Carter, there will 2 Mythology episodes and the rest will be Procerdural.

http://ew.com/tv/2017/08/08/x-files-...s-next-season/

My guess is the premiere and finale will be the serialized episodes.
Thank God. The premier is a train wreck so far....
Old 01-03-18, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Had no idea this was starting already. Will watch on Hulu in the morning!
Old 01-03-18, 08:24 PM

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

UGH! This was like a bad episode of fan fiction!

Agree that Duchovny looked horrible and Scully looks less Scully than ever. She should lose the Veronica Lake hairstyle which makes her look long in the face.

Watching this was like admitting to myself that the X-files I enjoyed in my youth was never as great as I thought it was.

Maybe it was the horrible direction, pacing, writing which only further proves that Chris Carter should hand the reins over to those with more experience and talent.

I guess there is a reason that all the best X-files episodes were the ones directed and written by others.

This didn't even feel like X-Files. With Duchovny's voiceover throughout the episode it was more like a bad episode of Red Shoe Diaries.

I'm sure a lot off X-files fans love the mythology episodes featuring the 'alien conspiracy' but they have always proven to be the worst of the series, storylines that didn't go anywhere, without resolution, basically just throwing anything out there to see if it stuck.

I don' t even understand what this episode was trying to do. Were they saying that the last episode of last season was all just a dream Scully was having of things yet to come? What kind of ret-con bullshit is that?
Old 01-03-18, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with you bluesix, it was a mediocre premiere. I'm a huge X-files fan and love the mythology stuff, but this and Season 10's mythology was bad. Pacing was terrible, direction, Duchovny looks bloated, I don't know, I hope the MOTW episodes will be better but not holding my breath.
Old 01-03-18, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Yeah, the "it was all a vision" cop-out has to be the new benchmark for terrible writing in this series... and that's really saying something. The once compelling mythology is now a tedious, muddled mess to sit through. It's been that way since at least season seven, but they keep piling on with the nonsense. The whole premiere was hot garbage.

I went through the entire series just before the last movie was released in '08 and thought everything through season six still held up remarkably well. Sadly, that Mulder and Scully magic is long gone at this point. Duchovny looked tired or hungover in every scene. He doesn't appear to give a shit anymore. Anderson seemed a bit more committed, but they're both just going through the motions here. I agree that her hair (both length and dye job) aren't at all flattering.
Old 01-03-18, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

The X-Files shit the bed when Mulder knocked up Scully.
Old 01-03-18, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
The X-Files shit the bed when Mulder knocked up Scully.
Spoiler:

Or did he?

Spoiler:
Old 01-03-18, 09:23 PM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I call bullshit on that reveal. Why would anyone trust what CSM has to say?

By the way, who was that guy supposed to be who tried to kill Scully? Mulder said he looked familiar.

I can’t give this show up it’s like a bad habit.
Old 01-03-18, 09:55 PM
Banned

Millenials really are that stupid. CSM could be lying you fucking imbeciles.

--
Old 01-03-18, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awful, as unfortunately expected.

I said it last season, but they would have been much better off just saying Cancer Man and his syndicate managed to stop colonization and now were pursuing their own means. You would have had the same overarching story-arc for the revival, but with the added benefit of not shitting over everything that had came before (which is irreconcilable with the new take on the mythology) and you wouldn't have had to waste so much time with the ridiculous, even for X-Files, convoluted exposition and retcon attempts. But here we are.

That said, I did enjoy s10's MotW, and I'm definitely looking forward to see what they've got planned in that regard for this season.

Originally Posted by jwb0323
I call bullshit on that reveal. Why would anyone trust what CSM has to say?

By the way, who was that guy supposed to be who tried to kill Scully? Mulder said he looked familiar.

I can’t give this show up it’s like a bad habit.
That was Cancer Man's Rival's goon that Mulder had followed to South Carolina.
Old 01-03-18, 11:39 PM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by atxbomber
Awful, as unfortunately expected.

I said it last season, but they would have been much better off just saying Cancer Man and his syndicate managed to stop colonization and now were pursuing their own means. You would have had the same overarching story-arc for the revival, but with the added benefit of not shitting over everything that had came before (which is irreconcilable with the new take on the mythology) and you wouldn't have had to waste so much time with the ridiculous, even for X-Files, convoluted exposition and retcon attempts. But here we are.

That said, I did enjoy s10's MotW, and I'm definitely looking forward to see what they've got planned in that regard for this season.

That was Cancer Man's Rival's goon that Mulder had followed to South Carolina.
Seriously? Geez how did I miss that.

By the way, was Spendor supposed to be dead? I don’t remember how his story ended up. I’ll google it later
Old 01-04-18, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk God

Confusing and really convoluted. Probably the worst episode of this “My Struggle” mythology.

Plus, there was no payoff to the season 10 cliffhanger. It’s like they retconned the entire final act of that episode.

And I was like WTF?? With that reveal. and Reyes is working with CSM too? Man, Chris Carter is really the worst staff writer on the show.

I’m curious how they are going to segue to the self contained procedural episodes out of this.
Old 01-04-18, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jwb0323
Seriously? Geez how did I miss that.

By the way, was Spendor supposed to be dead? I don’t remember how his story ended up. I’ll google it later
After seemingly being killed off in s6's "Two Fathers/One Son", Spender returned in s9 horribly disfigured and unrecognizable after being subjected to Cancer Man's experiments. He dosed William with magnite (the kryptonite to the alien colonists) which seemingly made William a "normal" kid. After that, Spender showed up in the finale to testify on Mulder's behalf, where he also confirmed -- as much as anything ever is on the X-Files at least -- that Cancer Man was Mulder's real father.

I think this is the first time we've been told that Spender hid the kid, but I could be wrong on that.
Old 01-04-18, 01:42 AM

I read that Gillian Anderson is done playing Scully after this season. Chris Carter stated he has no desire to continue with the show if she's not involved. Probably for the best...

There was a rumor that it was the network's idea to include the new agents played by Lauren Ambrose and Robbie Amell. This was so Fox could potentially do a spin-off with them if Duchovny and Anderson didn't re-sign. Whether or not that's true, I'm not sure Miller and Einstein went over well with the audience. I know I have zero interest in watching a new series with them.
Old 01-04-18, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

and Reyes is working with CSM too? Man, Chris Carter is really the worst staff writer on the show.
Wasn't Reyes already working with CSM last season? I don't think it's something new.
Old 01-04-18, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

I'm a true, life-long Phile but this episode was just AWFUL.

Luckily, Sepinwall said in his review that the MOV episodes this season are above average, and much better than last year...so there's that..
Old 01-04-18, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by windom
Wasn't Reyes already working with CSM last season? I don't think it's something new.
Yes, she showed up working for CSM in My Struggle II, where she revealed via flashback (how does a flashback in a premonition/vision work?) that she's been working for him since basically immediately after the original series finale. She claimed she agreed to join CSM/the Syndicate in order to sabotage the plan from within, but who the fuck knows at this point.
Old 01-04-18, 12:32 PM

The overnight ratings took a big dive. 5.2M viewers, down from 16.2M for the season 10 premiere.

https://www.thewrap.com/x-files-prem...-race-ratings/
Old 01-04-18, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b
The overnight ratings took a big dive. 5.2M viewers, down from 16.2M for the season 10 premiere.

Looks like people jumped ship after season 10.
Old 01-04-18, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by joe_b

Yeah but it had an NFL game as it's lead-in 2 years ago. A massive inflation of viewers. Plus it was coming back after being off the air for 14 years.
Old 01-04-18, 01:27 PM

A better ratings comparison is probably the S10 finale (7.6 million) vs. the S11 premiere (5.2 million), which is a 32% decrease in viewers.
Old 01-04-18, 01:27 PM

Yeah but it had an NFL game as it's lead-in 2 years ago. A massive inflation of viewers. Plus it was coming back after being off the air for 14 years.
Sure, but even the the least viewed season ten episode (Babylon) pulled in 7.07M viewers. That was a new low for The X-Files at the time, but 5.2M for a season premiere is very disappointing. Not sure where it will sit after DVR and streaming data is factored in, but history has shown viewership will likely drop off from here -- and probably quite a bit considering what a mess last night's episode was.
Old 01-04-18, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

There was almost zero pre-hype for this compared to the previous season.

I wouldn't have even known about it were it not for this thread!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.