Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Mad About You -- revival series (Spectrum) -- Paul Reiser, Helen Hunt -- premieres 11/20/19

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Mad About You -- revival series (Spectrum) -- Paul Reiser, Helen Hunt -- premieres 11/20/19

Old 12-26-17, 05:48 PM

Received 988 Likes on 666 Posts

The rumored Mad About You revival is moving closer to becoming the CONFIRMED Mad About You revival.

Multiple sources reveal to TVLine exclusively that Sony, which produced the beloved NBC sitcom, has begun informal talks with leads Paul Reiser and Helen Hunt about bringing the series back for a limited run. Reiser, who also co-created Mad About You with Danny Jacobson, is allegedly leading the charge to resurrect the show. A Sony rep declined to comment for this story.

According to an insider, the new episodes would likely revolve around Paul and Jamie grappling with empty-nest syndrome in the wake of now-17-year-old daughter Mabelís admission to college.

Earlier this fall, Reiser foreshadowed Mad About YouĎs possible return while doing press for his role in the second season of Stranger Things. ďIf we can find the story to tell, and anybodyís interested, Iíd be open to it,Ē he told People. ďTo me, itís interesting when I see my kids are growing and leaving the house. Itís like, ĎOh.í Itís like that moment when you get married. Itís like weíre in a new world that we donít know the rules of.Ē

Resier admitted he had long been opposed to the idea of a revival, partly because the original series ó which wrapped its seven-season run in 1999 ó concluded with a flash-forward set 22 years into the future. ďOur thinking at the time was, ĎLetís make sure we never get tempted to come back ó letís tell them what happens,'Ē he noted.

Although NBC would seem like the logical home for a quasi-eighth season of Mad About You (particularly in the wake of the Peacockís success with Will & Grace), Iím told the network is not currently involved in the discussions.
http://tvline.com/2017/12/26/mad-abo...er-helen-hunt/
Old 12-26-17, 06:07 PM
Premium Member

Received 284 Likes on 228 Posts
re: Mad About You -- revival series (Spectrum) -- Paul Reiser, Helen Hunt -- premieres 11/20/19

I’d love to see a revival of this show, it’s one of my favorites. As long as they do a Rosanne and disregard the epilogue with their daughter saying what happened to them.
Old 12-26-17, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Mad About You -- revival series (Spectrum) -- Paul Reiser, Helen Hunt -- premieres 11/20/19

I despised this show when I was a teenager. I never understood why Helen Hunt kept winning Emmy after Emmy for this deeply unfunny show.
Old 12-27-17, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My wife and I really enjoyed this series while it was on, and thought both the leads were perfect. But I honestly don't remember that ending. I do wonder how many of the other actors they would try and have return given it's kind of a stretch that they would still be around this long after the series went off the air. But hopefully at least cousin Ira.
Old 12-27-17, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

This is why broadcast is dying. All we get now are reboots and revivals. It's all the broadcast networks really have left as it's nearly impossible to launch a "hit" or anything that gets talked about even a fraction like Stranger Things.

I really hope a streamer picks this up. Paul Resider has had shows/been the cast of on Hulu/Amazon/Netflix. Don't go to broadcast. Please.
Old 12-27-17, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 1,344 Likes on 832 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
My wife and I really enjoyed this series while it was on, and thought both the leads were perfect. But I honestly don't remember that ending.
Old 12-27-17, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Thanks. Been so long I honestly can't remember if I watched those or not. I don't see anything in those that makes a reboot a problem.
Old 12-27-17, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

I'd rather watch this...

Old 12-27-17, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Defiant1 View Post
I despised this show when I was a teenager. I never understood why Helen Hunt kept winning Emmy after Emmy for this deeply unfunny show.

Start at 3:57.
Old 12-27-17, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 150 Likes on 126 Posts

I loved the first few seasons of this show, but it jumped the shark about as hard as any show I've seen. I'd give the revival a shot out of curiosity and nostalgia.
Old 12-27-17, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

I only saw this as either late-night or mid-morning reruns when I was working off-shifts. I was fairly ambivalent towards it, mostly just watching it because it was on when I had nothing else to do. Based on my impression, I'm kind of surprised this had enough of a draw to think about reviving it.
Old 12-27-17, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 161 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
I loved the first few seasons of this show, but it jumped the shark about as hard as any show I've seen. I'd give the revival a shot out of curiosity and nostalgia.
Yeah, that pretty much sums up my view. Although I don't remember if it was a jump-the-shark moment, or we just got tired of it. It's been a long time.
Old 12-27-17, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
Yeah, that pretty much sums up my view. Although I don't remember if it was a jump-the-shark moment, or we just got tired of it. It's been a long time.
Yeah, it's been a long time, but as I remember it, the baby was the big turning point.
Old 12-27-17, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 23 Likes on 5 Posts

I don’t think this show is available on any streaming service, is it? Netflix, Hulu?
Old 12-27-17, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 772 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by sherm42 View Post
I donít think this show is available on any streaming service, is it? Netflix, Hulu?

https://www.starz.com/series/34375/episodes

Surprisingly Starz has it. All 7 seasons.
Old 12-27-17, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 365 Likes on 281 Posts

I didnít watch much of this but from what Iíve seen itís okay. I donít think itís something that most people are pining for a revival of though. Thereís starting to be a lot of these revivals some of which are cool but others that just feel like desperate attempts by networks to rope people back in with even the slightest bit of nostalgia.
Old 12-27-17, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I assume Sony is interested because Reiser got back in the public eye with Red Oaks and especially Stranger Things.
Old 12-27-17, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

For some reason I hate Paul Reiser with a fiery passion. Even as a kid I rooted for the Alien to kill him.
Old 12-27-17, 04:18 PM

I didn't really watch as a kid but had a crush on her so her Emmys made sense to me
Old 12-27-17, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 161 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Yeah, it's been a long time, but as I remember it, the baby was the big turning point.
I completely forgot about the baby, so there's a good chance that was the turning (off) point.
Old 12-27-17, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I don’t see the nostalgia for this.
Old 12-27-17, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Eric F View Post

Start at 3:57.
I am such a George Costanza.
Old 12-27-17, 09:44 PM
Premium Member

Received 284 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
I completely forgot about the baby, so there's a good chance that was the turning (off) point.
I remember what almost turned me off was when they started having marital troubles and a few episodes got pretty dark. That was right before the series ended but before they had the baby.

Originally Posted by starseed1981 View Post
I donít see the nostalgia for this.
Hell why not. Rosanne is coming back and Full House is back. Seems like thereís now plenty of room for this one.
Old 12-27-17, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
For some reason I hate Paul Reiser with a fiery passion. Even as a kid I rooted for the Alien to kill him.
I like him as a comedian, though I don't watch sitcoms and didn't watch Mad About You. But even though I like him as a comedian, we're supposed to dislike him in Aliens. He played the role well.
Old 12-27-17, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 368 Likes on 268 Posts

One of my favorite comedies. Great and lovable characters, solid humor that didn't rely on your typical tropes and a decent group of secondary characters that were fun to have around.

Always had a thing for Hunt as well. She somehow managed to make sweatpants and a t-shirt sexy.

I'd be up for revisiting the Buchmans. I say bring it on. Although Reiser has to be a bit hesitant after NBC begged him to come back and do "The Paul Reiser Show" and canceled it after two episodes.

Makes sense. Teenagers don't have good tastes anyway.

Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
I remember what almost turned me off was when they started having marital troubles and a few episodes got pretty dark. That was right before the series ended but before they had the baby.
They had the baby at the end of season 5. The marital troubles were right at the end of season 6.

The baby wasn't the jump-the-shark moment, IMO. I haven't watched it in awhile but I don't recall a ton of baby-centric episodes. Mabel was almost an afterthought, IIRC. It was the marital troubles. A baby is a natural progression of a marriage. But to take tv's most perfect couple and essentially break them up out of the blue and have them cheat? I mean, that was a big slap in the face to viewers and just a huge wtf.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.