Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Toys That Made Us -- Netflix docuseries -- 12/22/17

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-19, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts
Re: The Toys That Made Us -- Netflix docuseries -- 12/22/17

Why does it take so long to produce these shows? Any word on when season 3 is coming out?

Meanwhile I've still been really enjoying Toy Galaxy's channel on youtube. Especially since he covers niche toy franchises that would never get an episode like my personal favorite Dino-Riders

Old 10-17-19, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

Season 3 is coming out on November 15.
I can see these taking a while to make actually, considering that each episode has a bunch of different people interviewed specific to the toys they are talking about. So that is probably a lot of work for each episode to schedule all of the different interviews, then editing them all together cohesively and in an appropriate running time.

I just hope The Movies That Made Us won't be taking away from Toys. I'm sure Movies will be entertaining, but we see a lot more documentaries/interviews about movies than we do with toys.
Old 10-17-19, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
Why does it take so long to produce these shows? Any word on when season 3 is coming out?

Meanwhile I've still been really enjoying Toy Galaxy's channel on youtube. Especially since he covers niche toy franchises that would never get an episode like my personal favorite Dino-Riders

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z44LEqZ2oFE&t=143s
I actually have no idea how this franchise hasn't come back around. Gigantic dinosaur toys with robot parts that you can ride on seems like something kids of any generation would be up for. But I'd think the same for something like M.A.S.K.
The following users liked this post:
tanman (06-23-20)
Old 10-17-19, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I actually have no idea how this franchise hasn't come back around. Gigantic dinosaur toys with robot parts that you can ride on seems like something kids of any generation would be up for.
My kids have tons of the dinosaur toys in the Fisher Price Imaginext line, which have the same concept as DinoRiders. They've been out for years.

https://media.entertainmentearth.com...04b8e553lg.jpg

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1CErrCrq0L.jpg

https://trgccw5gap-flywheel.netdna-s...ex-300x254.png
Old 10-17-19, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Originally Posted by GuessWho
My kids have tons of the dinosaur toys in the Fisher Price Imaginext line, which have the same concept as DinoRiders. They've been out for years.

https://media.entertainmentearth.com...04b8e553lg.jpg

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1CErrCrq0L.jpg

https://trgccw5gap-flywheel.netdna-s...ex-300x254.png
My kids do too (though I think they're out of rotation). It's actually a great line of kids toys, they go pretty deep into the licensed characters even and have some pretty cool (though simplistically articulated) stuff. I mean we got a Super Friends Hall of Justice and Hall of Doom, and a gigantic Power Rangers megazord.
Old 10-17-19, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts

Love all the Imaginext lines... and also the very-very similar Playskool Heroes with a good Star Wars line that seems to have just faded after the "Solo" figures.
Old 10-17-19, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

I got the impression from recently watching the entire series that it's an extremely low-budget series. Netflix isn't breaking the bank producing it. It also appears the series creator takes on many hats making each episode. I don't think a huge team is producing the series.

Old 10-25-19, 05:06 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

The hit series “The Toys That Made Us” is headed back to Netflix for its third season, with the brand new four-episode season set to begin streaming on November 15th.

In Season 3, you’re invited to take a deep dive into the origins — and creative battles — behind Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Power Rangers, My Little Pony and wrestling figures.

Additionally, the creators of “The Toys That Made Us” present brand new series “The Movies That Made Us” this November, dedicated to the movies that defined the ’80s.

Get the real story behind the blockbusters that defined a generation. Actors, directors and industry insiders lead the way on essential deep dives.

The debut season of “The Movies That Made Us” will cover:

Die Hard
Home Alone
Dirty Dancing
Ghostbusters

The Movies That Made Us” comes to Netflix on November 29th!
https://bloody-disgusting.com/tv/359...7z_CsGbewVtN2w
Old 10-27-19, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

All this time and just 4 episodes again? I'm looking forward to it but just would like more output. I guess I've been spoiled by youtube channels.
Old 10-27-19, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

Excellent, though I’m not excited about the movies spinoff as I should be. Maybe because there is a lot more coverage of movies (behind the scenes documentaries, disc extras, etc), as opposed to toy history coverage.

TMNT was my favorite kid show and toy line, so I’m really looking forward to that episode.
Old 10-28-19, 02:45 PM

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by MLBFan24
Excellent, though I’m not excited about the movies spinoff as I should be. Maybe because there is a lot more coverage of movies (behind the scenes documentaries, disc extras, etc), as opposed to toy history coverage.

TMNT was my favorite kid show and toy line, so I’m really looking forward to that episode.
Yeah, to me the main appeal of this show is that they're covering material no one else is. But mini-documentaries about 80s movies are everywhere.
Old 11-15-19, 06:45 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Season 3 is up today.
Old 11-15-19, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Watched the Ninja Turtles episode and thought it was pretty good. Loved the story that when Eastman got his first royalty check for a million dollars that he went out and bought a tank It sucks that the season is only 4 episodes though. I always end up wanting more when it is over.
Old 11-15-19, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

I haven't watched the episodes yet, but I like the toys they picked. I'm looking forward to checking it out.

For anyone who has watched, does the lady with the random office sex doll show up again?
Old 11-15-19, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just finished the TMNT episode and thought it was good. My favorite show as a kid and of course, favorite toy line.

I still remember taking Leonardo out of the package and one of the swords immediately broke. I was so sad
Old 11-16-19, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
For anyone who has watched, does the lady with the random office sex doll show up again?
Briefly, in the TMNT episode. The camera even does a quick zoom-in on the doll as a gag.
Old 11-17-19, 01:16 PM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

The Wrestling episode is interesting for anyone who is a big fan as it delves into the rise of the business in the 1980’s with Hogan to the WCW vs WWF Monday Night Wars of the 90’s.
Old 11-17-19, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

All this time and just 4 episodes again? I'm looking forward to it but just would like more output. I guess I've been spoiled by youtube channels.
It's got to be difficult finding enough information to fill an entire show. How much is there to say about Stretch Armstrong or the Easy Bake Oven?

I really enjoyed the first season and what I saw of the second. Tried to watch the Lego episode from season 3 and found the editing style annoying. I know some things need filler, but Lego has a pretty deep history.

Old 11-17-19, 08:05 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
It's got to be difficult finding enough information to fill an entire show. How much is there to say about Stretch Armstrong or the Easy Bake Oven?

I really enjoyed the first season and what I saw of the second. Tried to watch the Lego episode from season 3 and found the editing style annoying. I know some things need filler, but Lego has a pretty deep history.
I don't understand why they glossed over stuff with Legos and now with TMNT. There's more stuff out there about these 2 topics and they didn't cover them properly. The TMNT one basically skipped the stuff from the late 90's and glossed over the stuff from 2000 and on. It's also weird to see them talk very positively about the latest reboot when in fact it has been really panned by fans and critics alike. It's apparently so bad, that Nickelodeon is already going back to the drawing board to make another reboot.

Still, there was something very interesting in the doc that I don't believe it has been discussed anywhere else. Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird had kept very privately the dissolution of their business and friendship. I had the privilege to have had dinner with both of them (separately) and talked to them about Turtles and other stuff but out of respect, never brought up their situation in any of my conversations. Today, while watching this episode, I found out that:

1- Peter Laird had sole control of the Turtles since the late nineties and was the sole owner when he sold the property to Nickelodeon. Until today, I thought Kevin Eastman was part of the sale and half of the money from it.
2- It was Kevin who basically ruined their relationship and became estranged from Peter for years. Everyone knew there was a fallout but no one knew why.

Both of them are really great guys and I hope they can really make amends and work together in the future.

I was a little disappointed that the wrestling episode basically focused on WWF/E and WCW with a little sprinkle of ECW. They basically dismissed the REMCO wrestling figures which have become as popular in the collector's market as the old WWF ones. REMCO had an amazing lineup of figures that includes a who's who of AWA, NWA and other territories. I remember getting the Ric Flair, Larry Zbysko double pack as a kid as well as the Road Warriors. I also have the hard to find Carlos Colon vs Abdullah the Butcher double pack too. REMCO was also the first one to release Rockers (Shawn Michaels and Marty Janetty) action figures. They also didn't talk about how much money the WWF wrestlers made out of those LJN toys. The royalties from these figures was so great that it became a recruiting point for Vince to entice wrestlers from other territories to come work for him.

As for future episodes, they can tackle Marvel and DC toys separately. DC has tons of stuff going back to the late 30's. Marvel has stuff going back to the mid 60's. They can also do an episode about happy meal toys.
Old 11-17-19, 08:08 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

There's this too about Mickey and Disney, but I doubt Disney would allow it since it would be shown on the competing streaming service.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/mick...120434682.html
Old 11-17-19, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wouldn’t mind seeing an episode about Toys R Us
Old 11-17-19, 09:14 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The toy stores that made us
Toys r us, playworld, child world, kaybee...
Old 11-17-19, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts

I watched the LEGO and the Transformer ones and they just don't have the same amount of love and effort put into them like the first season.

I think a Toy Store documentary would be awesome, but I'm hesitant this crew could pull it off at this point. Imagine being able to touch on all the various crazes over the years (Cabbage Patch Kids, Pound Puppies, Beanie Babies, Elmo, etc) Surely there's footage out there of all the mom's going crazy in thsese stores.
Old 11-18-19, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Geddlo
The toy stores that made us
Toys r us, playworld, child world, kaybee...

YouTube has got you covered.
Old 11-18-19, 05:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

That annoyed me too but after seeing an interview Brian gave it kind of makes sense why some of the seasons are so short. He said it's hard to track down a lot of the designers who worked on the toys so it basically becomes a case of talk to this person who remembers this person who hopefully remembers this person, and it takes awhile to track these people down.
I binged the season and overall I thought it was pretty good. Probably stronger than the second season.

Ninja Turtles: Had a lot of good information about the rise of the line. I loved the story about Eastman buying a tank after getting a royalty check for a millon dollars. Enjoyed them talking about the cartoon and also the fall out between Eastman and Laird. Overall it was a good episode. 4/5.

Power Rangers: This was the most fascinating one. Whether it was talking about Stan Lee's involvement, how it took Haim Saban 8 years to get it to a network, that Bandai basically did the props for the show in Japan to make the toys easier to make, Bandai America trying to name the show similar to Ninja Turtles, how they were so desperate to get affiliates to air it they offered them a percentage of the toy sales, just a lot of great information. The only thing that is lacking is maybe talking about how big of an impact the toys had. It was pretty much the last great action figure line in terms of popularity. 5/5.

My Little Pony: I thought it was good and entertaining but did not leave much of an impact on me. 4/5

Pro Wrestling: Thought this was entertaining. The story of how Galoob tried to get the WWF license and were stabbed in the back by MCA Universal who just bought LJN, Talking about how the figure came to be the way they were, how valuable Hulk Hogan was to getting WCW another toy license and how the competition for the toy licenses heated up during the Monday Night Wars. Good episode whether you are a wrestling fan or not. 4/5

So a great season. Hopefully we get a season 4 finally focusing on comic book toys, Thundercats and Real Ghostbusters. I just hope The Movies that Made us does not take away from this show.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.