Search this Thread

Old 01-09-18, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,506 Posts
Re: The Toys That Made Us -- Netflix docuseries -- 12/22/17

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
I like to see episodes in future seasons on :-

American v Japanese toys
Oh yeah, Mattel Shogun Warriors vs. Popy Jumbo Machinders, Mego Micronauts vs. Takara Microman, etc. That would be awesome! (but unlikely). Hell, just an episode covering all the cool toys that Japanese kids got in the 70s and 80s would be fantastic. All the Godzilla toys, the amazing Star Wars toys that Takara put out in 1978 that never saw the light of day outside of Japan, etc.
Old 01-09-18, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
It's kind of a trip how they tanked themselves by limiting production of the primary characters and overdoing it with the secondary and inconsequential characters that no one cared about. You went from 250 million in one year to 7 million the next. Yikes.
I vaguely remember that I always wanted to buy some He-Man figures as a kid, but when I went to the store I could never find Skeletor, He-Man or Man-At-Arms. I also remember there were a lot of those bumble bee guys.

In the end, G.I. Joe got my allowance money.
Old 01-09-18, 08:10 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
I watched the SW episode and it was great. Anyone else get the idea that Lucas deliberately held off on the prequels until he could get the toy deal restructured? They didn't say what specific year the original 5% contract ran out.
Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
My understanding was the contract ran out after Hasbro brought Kenner, and didn't realize (or care) they needed to pay LucasFilm ten grand a year in order to keep the agreement valid.
This tidbit actually bugged me about the Star Wars episode because it was completely incorrect. The way it was worded and presented in the documentary made it seem that Hasbro didn't make any Star Wars toys until the first prequel came out and that after the figures didn't sell as they expected, then they came with other Star Wars line of figures like Power of the Force. What really happened was that Hasbro re-negotiated the deal with Lucas in 1994 and then in 1995 the Star Wars Power of the Force figures were released. The first set of figures had weird, buffed sculptures, so the main characters were re-released again with their bodies more to the likeness of the actual characters. Also, Hasbro started to release, on purpose, variants of the figures, including Boba Fett among others to take advantage of the hot toy collector market that was driving sales at toy stores. All of this was mostly to revive the franchise name in the toy section after Dark Horse had revived the Star Wars name with their Dark Empire series and Disney/MGM done the same with the Star Tours ride. Hasbro continued the toy production for the next several years before the prequel in 1999 with the Shadow of the Empire toy line and new releases on the Power of the Force line.

Also, the documentary skipped over the Droids toys released in 1985 that tied in with the cartoon series

All of these is pretty basic stuff in the Star Wars toy history and really wonder how they screwed up the timeline in the documentary
Old 01-09-18, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Yeah, that kinda bugged me too. They made it seem like it went from ROTJ in 1983 to the Phantom Menace in 1999. The 1994 Power of the Force line rejuevenated the dead franchise. There were some other toys (Micro Machines, BendUms, the 12" "Suncoast" figures, the 12" dolls, etc) that kept SW fans going during the dead years. They really could have touched on that quite a bit more.

To be honest, Star Wars toys/merch could generate a full length documentary and not just a :45 minute tv episode.
Old 01-09-18, 08:35 PM
Banned

And honestly, this flub made me question the accuracy of the other 3 episodes. I understand that they are trying to dumb down collector's information for the general public but there is no reason why they should be inaccurate in what they present.
Old 01-09-18, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock
Plus that creepy naked lady chair/sculpture that kept showing up in the background when they interviewed the one female Mattel exec (I think it could be seen in the MOTU episode too).
How the hell did I miss this? Oh well, I needed a reason to watch these again.

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Yeah, that kinda bugged me too. They made it seem like it went from ROTJ in 1983 to the Phantom Menace in 1999. The 1994 Power of the Force line rejuevenated the dead franchise. There were some other toys (Micro Machines, BendUms, the 12" "Suncoast" figures, the 12" dolls, etc) that kept SW fans going during the dead years. They really could have touched on that quite a bit more.

To be honest, Star Wars toys/merch could generate a full length documentary and not just a :45 minute tv episode.
There is: Plastic Galaxy.

Could they have skipped that since that was Hasbro, not Kenner proper? I know they touch on the Hasbro buyout, but that could have been used to illustrate another mis-step.
Old 01-10-18, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,496 Posts

Originally Posted by funkyryno
I vaguely remember that I always wanted to buy some He-Man figures as a kid, but when I went to the store I could never find Skeletor, He-Man or Man-At-Arms. I also remember there were a lot of those bumble bee guys.

Weird because the 200x He-man line kind of died because there was nothing but He man on the shelves. And then the online only toy revival a few years ago made some of the main characters like Teela almost impossible to get. Does the documentary go into that, the collectors line that you had to subscribe to, getting dozens of unwanted figures to complete the collection?
Old 01-10-18, 10:36 AM

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Hiro11
I've only watched the Star Wars and GI Joe episodes as that stuff is right in my wheelhouse. I thought they were both great documentaries: tightly written, well directed, funny and informative. These are more documentaries of the toy making business than they are about the cultural impact of the toys or simply "remember this guy?" nostalgia. I love a good business documentary so this series was right up my alley.

Can't wait for Transformers.
Watch the Barbie episode. It's more about the business than the doll itself. It was funny too.
Old 01-10-18, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by funkyryno

Skeletor always seemed hard to find back in the day.
Old 01-10-18, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
How the hell did I miss this? Oh well, I needed a reason to watch these again.
How in hell indeed? It was very distracting!

I was popping in to mention the same thing, that's a very good Star Wars toy doc.
Old 01-10-18, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
This tidbit actually bugged me about the Star Wars episode because it was completely incorrect. The way it was worded and presented in the documentary made it seem that Hasbro didn't make any Star Wars toys until the first prequel came out and that after the figures didn't sell as they expected, then they came with other Star Wars line of figures like Power of the Force. What really happened was that Hasbro re-negotiated the deal with Lucas in 1994 and then in 1995 the Star Wars Power of the Force figures were released. The first set of figures had weird, buffed sculptures, so the main characters were re-released again with their bodies more to the likeness of the actual characters. Also, Hasbro started to release, on purpose, variants of the figures, including Boba Fett among others to take advantage of the hot toy collector market that was driving sales at toy stores. All of this was mostly to revive the franchise name in the toy section after Dark Horse had revived the Star Wars name with their Dark Empire series and Disney/MGM done the same with the Star Tours ride. Hasbro continued the toy production for the next several years before the prequel in 1999 with the Shadow of the Empire toy line and new releases on the Power of the Force line.

Also, the documentary skipped over the Droids toys released in 1985 that tied in with the cartoon series

All of these is pretty basic stuff in the Star Wars toy history and really wonder how they screwed up the timeline in the documentary
Droids was covered but deleted from the episode. Some of the footage of the rare Vlix figure is on the Facebook page. It seemed as if they wanted to focus on the early 80s and not the mid 90s revival.
Old 01-10-18, 08:57 PM
Banned

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fthetoysthatmadeus%2Fvideos%2F390317108094341%2F&show_text=0&width=560" width="560" height="315" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>
Old 01-11-18, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Maybe I was just having a bad day when I watched it, but I found Plastic Galaxy to be tedious and amateurish. I'll have to try it again.

As for the Droids figures (and series), some things are best left forgotten.
Old 01-11-18, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I loved all 4 episodes. The only thing I wished the GI-Joe episode should of covered too was Sgt Slaughter. I remember it being a big deal that a famous Pro Wrestler was added to the Joe cannon. An interview with Slaughter now would of been cool too.
Old 01-11-18, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Not really. The main reason as to why Kenner/Hasbro(who had already bought Kenner) renegotiated the rights was because Lucas said that he was getting ready to do the prequels. The Power of the Force came out because they wanted to get product out while waiting(same with releasing toys for Shadows of the Empire) and Lucas kept releasing Star Wars related stuff to keep building the interest up until Episode 1 was done(Empire, the Special Editions) so it wasn't inaccurate as it was portrayed.
Old 01-11-18, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig
Weird because the 200x He-man line kind of died because there was nothing but He man on the shelves. And then the online only toy revival a few years ago made some of the main characters like Teela almost impossible to get. Does the documentary go into that, the collectors line that you had to subscribe to, getting dozens of unwanted figures to complete the collection?
I don't remember the documentary mentioning the collectors line. Basically the huge drop in He-Man sales was blamed on flooding stores with weird characters no kids wanted, while neglecting the popular characters. I suspect there might be other reasons for the decline that weren't mentioned, though.
Old 01-11-18, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ringmaster
I loved all 4 episodes. The only thing I wished the GI-Joe episode should of covered too was Sgt Slaughter. I remember it being a big deal that a famous Pro Wrestler was added to the Joe cannon. An interview with Slaughter now would of been cool too.
I think the whole Sgt. Slaughter involvement may have been the peak of the G.I. Joe cartoon and toy line. It was all over television.
Old 01-11-18, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

The He-Man ep did mention the current toys. Said they found their niche selling to older collectors. Even showed the new $300 castle greyskull.
Old 01-11-18, 09:28 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Haven’t watched this yet, but today I stumbled upon a show called something like Mark Hamill’s Pop Culture Collector. Only half watched the first 6 or so episodes but it seemed decent.
Old 01-12-18, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Trevor
Haven’t watched this yet, but today I stumbled upon a show called something like Mark Hamill’s Pop Culture Collector. Only half watched the first 6 or so episodes but it seemed decent.
I think it's something he put together for YouTube.
Old 01-16-18, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock
Plus that creepy naked lady chair/sculpture that kept showing up in the background when they interviewed the one female Mattel exec (I think it could be seen in the MOTU episode too).
I came back to this thread to post this... WTF was that?? How did it make it thru post-edit and also, WTF??? I've never been more creeped out watching something; especially with my 9 year old there with me.
Old 01-16-18, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,496 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
The He-Man ep did mention the current toys. Said they found their niche selling to older collectors. Even showed the new $300 castle greyskull.
Argh I still need to find time to watch this show.

I have that new greyskull, still boxed, not because I want it mint but because I have no place to put it and I'm hopeful there will be some kind of revival that can get my son into it. The original greyskull was one of my favorite toys as a kid, down to the combined swords making the key to it.

The collectors line definitely went after the old collectors, as you can see with the earlier post about the convention exclusive that was basically prototypes. They learned early on that in order not to have the normal problem with pegwarmers, and to save money, they had to keep inventory super tight, and then the only way you could guarantee you'd get the main figures was to subscribe to a year long sub where you literally had no idea what you were going to get. It was expensive too, and shipping was horrendous. They started putting a ton of secondary characters and she-ra characters in, and I finally had enough. Because I started late, I never got teela, and I have no idea how they didn't go back and reprint such an important character in the line.
Old 01-16-18, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I never got into He-Man... but this episode was great because the guys they interviewed were brutally honest, funny and reminded me of how my dad would have behaved / spoken back in the day. Really insightful.
Old 01-16-18, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
I came back to this thread to post this... WTF was that?? How did it make it thru post-edit and also, WTF??? I've never been more creeped out watching something; especially with my 9 year old there with me.
Yeah, that was super bizarre.
Old 01-16-18, 02:50 PM

Haha. I had to pause the show on one of those scenes so I could show my wife the chair. I imagine that woman paid big money for that thing (I assume it's some kind of sculpture).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.