Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Walking Dead (S8E08) -- Mid-Season Finale -- "How It's Gotta Be" -- 12/10/17

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Walking Dead (S8E08) -- Mid-Season Finale -- "How It's Gotta Be" -- 12/10/17

Old 12-11-17, 11:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead (S8E08) -- Mid-Season Finale -- "How It's Gotta Be" -- 12/10/17

Originally Posted by DthRdrX View Post
Oh no, I CLEARLY remember the show getting a lot of flack during S3 for killing those characters too quickly. Neither Mazzaro or Kirkman have ever spoken about the reason for the firing, but the big rumor was Glen M. wanted to push the Prison story forward quicker while AMC wanted to be cheap and continue using the set they built for some time. They milked the hell out of the governor arc.

Most of the actors/actresses who were close friends to Darabont were killed off or left on their own, which isn't a coincidence either.
WHY is AMC so cheap? Look at what other productions can do if profit is reinvested properly, like 'Game of Thrones.'
Old 12-12-17, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 335 Likes on 235 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead (S8E08) -- Mid-Season Finale -- "How It's Gotta Be" -- 12/10/17

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
I wish I hadn’t watched that clip Molson. I was willing to just accept it and move on, but that clip shows it is Glenn-level bullshit. Yes, a few points where it could have happened ... and a few moments where you could retcon Carl’s reaction to tip it off, but overall? No. No f#@king way that is how he reacts if he has just been bitten.
Yep, and if look at his shirt after his struggle with the walkers in the same spot he was shown to have been bitten at the end of the episode, you don't see any shirt tear or blood in that area.
Old 12-12-17, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

This show seriously needs to get over itself and decide if it wants to be character-driven zombie show that MAKES SENSE within the context of that premise or a cash cow trying to hard to be artsy and randomly killing characters for shock value rather than to advance the story.

This episode was largely unwatchable because it was too DARK to see anything... the entire episode. It looked like they gave a high school kid a camera and no directions. Add that to the extremely annoying slow face shots. Just ugh...

I'm not going to say i will quit watching because I will soldier on with the show and hang in there to the bitter end...

watching as Rick falls for trash lady and they spend their days speaking in one word sentences,sculpting and playing with their pet walker. They get identical haircuts! Everything is wonderful. Michonne comes to visit! Rick is sooo hap-p-p.......
Old 12-12-17, 06:18 AM

I'm almost at a loss for words. I really don't know why I keep watching this show. It's bad. The writing and storylines are absolute garbage. It must be because the comics are really good and I still care about the overall product, but just barely. Last two, or three seasons have been crap. How many times will they have a chance to kill Neagan and not take it? If he's not to die, then don't frikkin put the group in a position where they could take him out.
Old 12-12-17, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 179 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post

Seriously, that is his Twitter handle?
Nothing like pimping your kid out. As soon as I read he was upset about it I knew it was because now the money stops.

An I still think this is all a big swerve...but that would be giving them too much credit.
Old 12-12-17, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Luds View Post
I'm almost at a loss for words. I really don't know why I keep watching this show. It's bad. The writing and storylines are absolute garbage. It must be because the comics are really good and I still care about the overall product, but just barely. Last two, or three seasons have been crap. How many times will they have a chance to kill Neagan and not take it? If he's not to die, then don't frikkin put the group in a position where they could take him out.
I think it's now become very clear that the comics are great mostly because of the fantastic storytelling of Charlie Adlard. If Kirkman is signing off on this television stuff, I just don't understand his brain.
Old 12-12-17, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Interview out with Gimple this morning.

What was the conversation like when you told him?

Two or three years ago, I figured out that I should never get into the private conversations that we have about this stuff. It’s so personal. I wouldn’t want to talk about what happened behind the scenes like that. It’s very much about what happened on screen.
I might actually have to watch the next episode of Talking Dead, if Gimple shows up. They always discuss this stuff.
Old 12-12-17, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hitmanjules View Post
WHY is AMC so cheap? Look at what other productions can do if profit is reinvested properly, like 'Game of Thrones.'
AMC has a history of this. They were making cuts on Mad Men at the same time.
Old 12-12-17, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Year-to-year, the Season 8 TWD fall finale was down a harsh 34% from the Season 7 “Swear” episode of November 27, 2016. To add a bit of perspective, that Season 7 fall finale was the worst TWD had done since its Season 2 fall finale. To add further perspective, down from the Season 8 average, this year’s fall finale was the second-lowest demo result of Season 8 so far and the third least watched.
Old 12-12-17, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

The only way they could write themselves out of their established canon is if it wasn't a zombie that bit him ..... but I'll stop at that idea.
Exactly my thought as well. Any other comic readers out there thinking along those lines?
Old 12-12-17, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by leeta View Post

This episode was largely unwatchable because it was too DARK to see anything... the entire episode. It looked like they gave a high school kid a camera and no directions. Add that to the extremely annoying slow face shots. Just ugh...

It felt like we were watching a sequel to Blair Witch Project.
Old 12-12-17, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 824 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool View Post
Exactly my thought as well. Any other comic readers out there thinking along those lines?
Actually, I mentioned before that they could make Carl survive the bite and be basically the anti-body for whatever it is that turns people into zombies. They can have Carl getting sicker and sicker the next episode and then surviving.
Old 12-12-17, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
Actually, I mentioned before that they could make Carl survive the bite and be basically the anti-body for whatever it is that turns people into zombies. They can have Carl getting sicker and sicker the next episode and then surviving.
that would be an awesome plot twist. It wouldn't be a "Glen under the dumpster fake out" and it could lead to the development of a cure, if they could get Eugene into a lab with Carl's blood it would be an amazing story arc.

Looks like Carl will die then...
Old 12-12-17, 11:49 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 317 Likes on 194 Posts

How come no one has even mentioned the fucking helicopter we saw a couple of weeks ago? They have to realize that it didn't belong to the saviors.
Old 12-12-17, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by jpcamb View Post
that would be an awesome plot twist. It wouldn't be a "Glen under the dumpster fake out" and it could lead to the development of a cure, if they could get Eugene into a lab with Carl's blood it would be an amazing story arc.

Looks like Carl will die then...
I think that would be a cool idea, but TWD creators are well past anything like that these days. They have seemed to disregard any macro (big picture) issues for this show that would create some type of endgame (even if it didn't work out like getting Eugene to DC). Right now the only thing they focus on every season is who is the enemy of the group, and then they divide the group up among people who are war-hawks and doves. And then they all do a 180 the next season. TWD has turned into that comedian like Chevy Chase, Eddie Murphy, or even Jim Carrey, where once they became so big they stopped caring and became totally unfunny.
Old 12-12-17, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 579 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer View Post
An I still think this is all a big swerve...but that would be giving them too much credit.
That thought has entered my mind, particularly based on how quickly Mr. Riggsí comments came out after the show aired. Chandler says they found out in June (I may need to double check that) while rehearsing for Episode 6.

It could all be a big shoot (wrestling term) just like removing Stephen Yuen from the credits. Mr. Riggs could be a part of it.
Old 12-12-17, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
I think that would be a clear cut, jump the shark moment for the show though.

Now, what if they meet up with a government group that actually has a cure? That helicopter being shown does bring up an interesting point. What if it is the same one Rick saw in Atlanta during S1.
Old 12-12-17, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Or it's not a bite and was done by something that looks like a walker, but actually isn't a walker.

And how many people watch shows where they put the heroes, and even some of the main the villains, in mortal peril almost every episode but everybody knows none of them are going to die? Seems hypocritical to accept those and bitch when Rick and Negan always make it out when everybody should know by now that neither of them are going to die anytime soon.
Old 12-12-17, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think it will turn out that Gimple bit Carl and in a flash back we find out he was the original source of the Zombie infections.

I can only hope that Gimple is fired soon although sadly this will not change the second half of the season which I assume has already been filmed.

More face shots incoming I guess.
Old 12-12-17, 01:28 PM

I think that would be a clear cut, jump the shark moment for the show though.

Now, what if they meet up with a government group that actually has a cure? That helicopter being shown does bring up an interesting point. What if it is the same one Rick saw in Atlanta during S1.

The show jumped the shark when Glenn died. I'm not saying I didn't fight that idea. I did. But, I've come to realize that's when it happened. Maybe it wasn't Glenn's death. maybe it was just that negan's arc has been so botched; I don't know. But, jump the shark, it def. has.
Old 12-12-17, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by gcribbs View Post
I think it will turn out that Gimple bit Carl and in a flash back we find out he was the original source of the Zombie infections.

I can only hope that Gimple is fired soon although sadly this will not change the second half of the season which I assume has already been filmed.

More face shots incoming I guess.
I agree. Simple has overstayed his welcome. It's time for him to go. I hear they are still wanting cleanup workers in Fukishima.
Old 12-12-17, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,672 Likes on 1,227 Posts

http://ew.com/tv/2017/12/12/the-walk...tainmentweekly

While the ratings are still good for cable, it's the lowest mid-season finale ratings in 6 years.

The show is 8 years old and ratings were bound to drop, but I have to wonder if AMC is concerned that the show has lost almost 10M viewers since season 7 episode 1 in just about 1 year. That's a pretty freaking huge collapse.
Old 12-12-17, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by smorbie View Post
The show jumped the shark when Glenn died. I'm not saying I didn't fight that idea. I did. But, I've come to realize that's when it happened. Maybe it wasn't Glenn's death. maybe it was just that negan's arc has been so botched; I don't know. But, jump the shark, it def. has.
I disagree. I think it jumped when Glenn didn't die. That was the first time it became undeniable that the show had fallen in love with itself to the point that they felt it was OK to openly mock their audience.

The show still has an underlying premise that can make for fascinating television. But they need to do some honest self-scouting of where things have been going, and decide what kind of show this is going to be. If they stay the current course that would be unfortunate, and likely fatal in the not too distant future.
Old 12-12-17, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
The show is 8 years old and ratings were bound to drop, but I have to wonder if AMC is concerned that the show has lost almost 10M viewers since season 7 episode 1 in just about 1 year. That's a pretty freaking huge collapse.
That is what happens when an audience starts to realize that a season and a half has gone by and (leaning back) not jack shit has happened. Plus they know that will likely continue for at least another half a season. Hope AMC (leaning back) had their shitting pants on when those ratings came out. And they better keep them on when when S8E9 airs. If they think people are going to flock back in droves just to see them ruthlessly milk Carl's fade out they are miscalculating by a fantastical amount, especially considering the audience knows that afterwards the show will coast for at least another six episodes.
Old 12-12-17, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wanted to get opinions from comic book readers here. I donít read comics but I was talking to a friend today who is a big comic book reader.

He is not as down on the show as I am (but admits thatís itís not as great as it was). But he said the show has definitely gotten more to itís roots of being more comic book-like. He also watches Z Nation but admits itís a guilty pleasure show and that is sort of how he feels about TWD now. He thinks the show just isnít made for the masses anymore (people like me) and will find a more niche audience in future seasons.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.