Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Walking Dead (S8E08) -- Mid-Season Finale -- "How It's Gotta Be" -- 12/10/17

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Walking Dead (S8E08) -- Mid-Season Finale -- "How It's Gotta Be" -- 12/10/17

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-17, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead (S8E08) -- Mid-Season Finale -- "How It's Gotta Be" -- 12/10/17

Originally Posted by windom
So we know that a zombie bite doesn't give one the "zombie virus" since everyone is already a carrier and will turn when they die whether they got bit or not. Theoretically, a zombie bite only leads to a quick death due to all the bacteria they carry. Maybe the one that bit Carl was relatively bacteria free and he could live if he got the right meds? A freshly "born" zombie wouldn't have that much bacteria. Or are they saying that any zombie, old or new, automatically has something in their system that causes death in all cases?
The only way they could write themselves out of their established canon is if it wasn't a zombie that bit him ..... but I'll stop at that idea.

I was going to say his dizziness during the battle could be the beginning of the infection showing but he also just had something explode a few feet in front of him.
Old 12-11-17, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead (S8E08) -- Mid-Season Finale -- "How It's Gotta Be" -- 12/10/17

helicopter takes Carl to a secret research lab and they do a Z-Nation Murphy arc with him. It would totally destroy the show but that's about the only way Carl can make it through this.
ETA: They really should have just had Negan kill Carl or almost kill Carl if they wanted this shock. It's horribly done.
Old 12-11-17, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
The kid just bought a house in Georgia so he could work on the show, then found out he was being killed off.
I think that same thing happened to Ian Somerhalder on Lost when they were filming in Hawaii.
Old 12-11-17, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus
Needs more slow shots of everyone's faces. That's what it needs. Could have easily stretched it out to two hours.

Actually, I think it needed to be shot with a few fewer lights. I couldn't see anything that happened. I've been trying, in vain, all day to find some kind of recap or something
Old 12-11-17, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Oh no, I CLEARLY remember the show getting a lot of flack during S3 for killing those characters too quickly. Neither Mazzaro or Kirkman have ever spoken about the reason for the firing, but the big rumor was Glen M. wanted to push the Prison story forward quicker while AMC wanted to be cheap and continue using the set they built for some time. They milked the hell out of the governor arc.

Most of the actors/actresses who were close friends to Darabont were killed off or left on their own, which isn't a coincidence either.
Really? As you mentioned in your earlier posts both of those characters were pretty widely despised and I don't remember anyone (fans) lamenting their loss. I totally buy that there was a lot going on behind the scenes that may have driven the sequence of events in the show, but I thought the audience reaction was generally one of relief. I guess I just don't remember it the way you do.
Old 12-11-17, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by chowderhead
helicopter takes Carl to a secret research lab and they do a Z-Nation Murphy arc with him. It would totally destroy the show but that's about the only way Carl can make it through this.
ETA: They really should have just had Negan kill Carl or almost kill Carl if they wanted this shock. It's horribly done.
These are the same writers faked Glenn's death. I'm thinking they'll do it again with Carl. Dream sequence. human bite. non-infected bite. Maybe Carl runs away before he dies and disappears.... only to re-appear during the season finale (or some future season) unharmed.
Old 12-11-17, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
With all of time Negan spends standing out in the open running his mouth, you'd think someone would shoot him.

It's like he knows he has plot armor.

It's getting ridiculous, he gives them so many opportunities to end the war, and nobody takes it. Remember when Rick ripped that guy's throat out with his teeth? I want that Rick back.
As I said, I couldn't see it, but I'm guessing there was a confrontation between Rick and Negan and Rick wussed out AGAIN.

I want the old Rick back, too. That man was a force to be reckoned with.

And I should have known Carl's stupid stunt with the walker's souls would get him killed. I'm sad, but he really brought that on himself. He's too smart for such stupidity.
Old 12-11-17, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by smorbie
Actually, I think it needed to be shot with a few fewer lights. I couldn't see anything that happened. I've been trying, in vain, all day to find some kind of recap or something
When Simon shot the gun near Maggie's car we assumed he meant to shoot someone, but then quite literally no one could see any evidence of it because everyone in the car was invisible. So we figured it was just a scare tactic from Simon to intimidate Maggie. When Maggie said something about wanting the casket for Neil, first we laughed because that was the first sign that someone had actually been murdered after all. Then we laughed because, "Who the hell is Neil?"
Old 12-11-17, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by SkullOrchard
Did the cameraman forget to take the lens cap off before he filmed this episode?

Maybe I'm losing my sight. All I saw was 90 minutes of darkness. I couldn't make heads nor tails out of most of what was going on.
Welcome to the club. Occasionally, I would get a glimpse of someone, but mostly, it was like watching thick maple syrup.
Old 12-11-17, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by DarthVong
Stupid idea to do this. There's so much left of his story in the comics that I was looking forward to seeing play out. Regardless of how they are trying to spin it this is purely for shock and ratings value. Plus I feel that now there isn't a good reason for Rick to spare Negan at the end of the war. Way too much of a departure IMO.
People have been complaining that not enough "real" characters were getting killed. This was Gimple's "screw you" to the fans.
Old 12-11-17, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by DarthVong
Stupid idea to do this. There's so much left of his story in the comics that I was looking forward to seeing play out. Regardless of how they are trying to spin it this is purely for shock and ratings value. Plus I feel that now there isn't a good reason for Rick to spare Negan at the end of the war. Way too much of a departure IMO.
He's going to spare him because Kirkman loves Negan, and Gimple loves JSM. The reason given will be the quote from the koran and because that's what Carl would have wanted him to do.

What a waste of a character.
Old 12-11-17, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Now let me say something good about the finale:

I like where they have taken Dwight. That was another plot development they could have drug on forever, but they did not. At this point of the show, for me Dwight is probably the most interesting character.
Old 12-11-17, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/walk...le-1202635962/

Riggs father is pissed at Gimple and AMC.
I don't blame him. They jerked the kid around. He took a year away from college and bought a house to live where they shoot, and this is how they treat him.

GIMPLE NEEDS TO GO
Old 12-11-17, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by chowderhead
Carl could have bit Negan, who kills him and then realizes that Carl was actively infected.

But that would have been cool.
Old 12-11-17, 03:19 PM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

The only way they could write themselves out of their established canon is if it wasn't a zombie that bit him ..... but I'll stop at that idea.
I haven't read them, but I know enough about the comics that this could actually be possible, no?
Old 12-11-17, 03:21 PM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Question, the crazy trash lady wrote the letter A on the dumpster or container that Rick was being held in. Does this go back to the letter carved in the trees or was that mystery already solved?
Old 12-11-17, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Carl could become a zombie but keeps his smarts. He organizes the zombies into an army and becomes their leader. Teaches them to use weapons. Like Caesar in the Planet of the Apes movies.
Carl to Rick, "Leave us alone, we'll leave you alone. We don't want to have to kill you."
Old 12-11-17, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by jwb0323
Question, the crazy trash lady wrote the letter A on the dumpster or container that Rick was being held in. Does this go back to the letter carved in the trees or was that mystery already solved?
The A's in the trees were carved in GA and it was Terminus. I think the wolves also carved something in the trees, but if you blinked, you missed them.

and Rw2516... that would be hilarious. And a very interesting situation, actually. You should go write for them.

Last edited by smorbie; 12-11-17 at 05:47 PM.
Old 12-11-17, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Honestly the show feels like an 80’s Horror B movie. Now many will argue that point and say it’s a zombie show! I’m not a fan of this genre but loved the show because it really delved into the characters and it wasn’t a B Movie, but now this is something that would be interesting if I saw it on Mystery Science Theater and the 3 characters ripping on it.

And Tara has sort of grown on me since they turned her into the Sarah Silverman comedian of the apocalypse.

Last edited by mcnabb; 12-11-17 at 07:05 PM.
Old 12-11-17, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus
Needs more slow shots of everyone's faces. That's what it needs. Could have easily stretched it out to two hours.
I instantly thought of Sinead O'Connor and her album cover
Old 12-11-17, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Would they really openly spoil episodes that won't air until February? I find these interviews a little suspect. I'm thinking it's just a misdirection and Carl won't end up dying. I mean they're literally saying "Carl is dead" in interviews. When has that ever happened on this show?
Old 12-11-17, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 867 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by jwb0323
I haven't read them, but I know enough about the comics that this could actually be possible, no?
Now that you mention it, yes, yes it could.

Carl did look more pasty (and clammy) than normal though.
But, until he turns or dies, I'll believe it when I see it.

Here is the Carl & Siddiq fight that it probably happened at. Around 1:30

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XZgGUiCFxrQ?rel=0" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-11-17, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

I wish I hadn’t watched that clip Molson. I was willing to just accept it and move on, but that clip shows it is Glenn-level bullshit. Yes, a few points where it could have happened ... and a few moments where you could retcon Carl’s reaction to tip it off, but overall? No. No f#@king way that is how he reacts if he has just been bitten.

I was really trying to like most of the episode, there was some good and a few flashes of the TWD of old. But this is pushing me down the wrong path. Eight episodes called “All Out War” and the only (potentially) meaningful death is from somebody f#@king up and scraping themselves against a walker’s teeth. No. Bullshit Gimple.

Maggie comes back and wants to make a point by executing a prisoner, but it isn’t Long-hair McAssHat who should have been executed after Maggie says “no tolerance” and moments later he tries to grab a gun? Bullshit Gimple.

Rick. ‘Nuff said. Bullshit Gimple.

Enid knows they need to take an offering to Oceanside, but then accidentally shoots Granny Oceanside? Bullshit Gimple. The Oceansiders don’t kill Enid and Aaron on the spot? Bullshit Gimple.

Old 12-11-17, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...-a8102821.html

Speaking about Gimple's justification for Carl's death, Riggs elaborated: Scott was trying to figure out how to bridge the gap between Rick not wanting to kill Negan and Rick also really wanting to kill Negan, which he does right now [in the show's story]. Scott's way to get around that was to make Carl this really humanitarian figure and person who could see the good in people and see that people can change and not everyone out there is bad.
Old 12-11-17, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Seriously, that is his Twitter handle?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.