Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Counterpart (Starz) -- Sci-Fi Spy Thriller starring J.K. Simmons -- Season 1 Thread

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Counterpart (Starz) -- Sci-Fi Spy Thriller starring J.K. Simmons -- Season 1 Thread

Old 04-02-18, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts
re: Counterpart (Starz) -- Sci-Fi Spy Thriller starring J.K. Simmons -- Season 1 Thread

Well, that stood the show on it's end.

It appears the same people are in charge of both worlds. Management seems to exist outside of both worlds controlling events. Maybe the experiment that created the alternate world is still going on. "management" are observing the experiment, creating crisis like the plague and sleeper agents to see what happens. Could be a game to see which side wins, "I call your plague, and raise you sleeper agent assassins".
Old 04-02-18, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Re: Counterpart (Starz) -- Sci-Fi Spy Thriller starring J.K. Simmons -- Season 1 Thre

Yeah, there is a lot more going on with management then we've been led to believe. Maybe neither of these worlds are the "real one" and these are both offshoots of another reality where management really is?
Old 04-02-18, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Counterpart (Starz) -- Sci-Fi Spy Thriller starring J.K. Simmons -- Season 1 Thre

I don't think this has come up in the thread, how do we know which of the two worlds is the original and which the duplicate? As viewers we relate to our world so assume it's the original. In the show both sides probably think they are the original. There's no way to tell.
Old 04-02-18, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Terrific finale. The thing with management was very cool. There are some logical issues but I do not dwell on them. I like the setup they have done for next season. I was worried that there would not be more story to tell. Will definitely rewatch before next season.
Old 04-02-18, 12:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well that was interesting. The stuff with the "4th floor" was odd in a retro SF and are these guys on yet another world sort of level?

Smart moves by Howard Prime w the assassin.
Old 04-02-18, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

I was underwhelmed. I found it pretty unsatisfying for a season finale. The logic gaps are hurting this show with me because it makes the character actions appear almost random at times as their motivations sway in the breeze. It becomes a series of cool scenes and great acting that at times feel only vaguely interconnected and thus the story lacks a sense of satisfaction when plot corners are turned. For instance, Howard kills Pope, so what does that mean? Could be anything, could be nothing.
Old 04-02-18, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
It appears the same people are in charge of both worlds.
Impossible! The device in the meeting had red lights on it in the non-prime world, and blue lights in the prime world.
Old 04-02-18, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Impossible! The device in the meeting had red lights on it in the non-prime world, and blue lights in the prime world.
All that indicates is that they were different devices. It was obvious that both meetings occurred simultaneously and both sides were being directed by the same person(s).
Then there is the fact that both sides had identical devices (color of lights aside) provided by management.

Management must be outside both worlds. Possibly those who were in on the experiment and not affected by it. They weren't duplicated. Management may be like the time traveler who returns from the past to find the future altered and is the only one who remembers what the future was like before it changed.
Old 04-02-18, 05:09 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 254 Likes on 192 Posts

I was also underwhelmed outside of Howard killing Pope.

You could see that Emily was going to appear to wake up coming from a mile away.
Old 04-02-18, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Dug the finale and the season. I doubt there is a better new show this year.
Old 04-04-18, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Awesome finale. I figure "management" is in something like a third alternate dimension communicating with both sides, Their involvement with both sides starting when Prime accidentally opened the portals to the alternate worlds.

I wonder if any recognizable actors will be brought in to replace the few characters we lost daring the finale.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 04-04-18 at 01:51 PM.
Old 04-04-18, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

All I know is that Peter Bishop better be one of the "new" characters.
Old 04-04-18, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Timber
All I know is that Peter Bishop better be one of the "new" characters.
September would be a better fit. Plus the actor is no longer needed on Gotham.
Old 04-04-18, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

When the show first started epguides.com had all ten season two episodes listed by episode title. Had me wondering if 20 episodes had been made and they were sitting on the second 10 for a year.
The season two episodes have been removed but still states 20 episodes to the series. Normally it would state 10+.
Old 04-04-18, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

I liked the finale, but it did seem like nothing was pushed forward in regard to plot. I will definitely be back for a second season.