Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Dark - Netflix Original (German w English subs)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 12-01-17, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 108 Likes on 81 Posts

This just appeared on Netflix Canada (hopefully US too) and I'll probably binge it this weekend:

Netflix’s Dark is hard to watch, and impossible to stop watching

The service’s first original German series echoes David Lynch and David Fincher, but finds its own queasy, compelling ground.

Netflix’s mesmerizing new German-language series Dark certainly is aptly named. A great deal of the new 10-episode season takes place in dim rooms and unlit garages, in an ominously oppressive forest and a shadowy cave, or under sickly, faltering lighting that suggests a kind of heavy moral decay falling over the world. The series is conceptually dark, full of cheating spouses, ugly secrets, grotesque killings, and dead birds falling from the sky in a hail of limp, twisted bodies. But more noticeably, it’s as physically dark as an early David Fincher movie, and it carries the same level of ominous weight. It’s a series meant to be watched late at night, with the lights off, experienced like a ghost story around a campfire that’s burning down to its final embers.
(Warning, the rest of this review may contain spoilers)

https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/1/1...reaming-series
Old 12-01-17, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
Re: Dark - Netflix Original (German w English subs)

Yup. Just hit today in US. Reviews have been very good.
Old 12-02-17, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 87 Likes on 68 Posts

Gonna jump on this soon.
Old 12-02-17, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 79 Likes on 73 Posts

Added to the queue.
Old 12-04-17, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've watched 6 episodes so far (4 left) and damn this show is good. But you better be fully awake because it's not easy to follow. It started automatically with the English dub, but I can't stand dubs so I switched to German. It's a bit of a curse because, even though the pacing is slow, there's so many characters and so many visual clues that you can miss stuff while reading subs. I found myself having to go back and re-watch different parts, especially in the first 2-3 episodes. And yeah, it's weird, dark and brooding, but completely engrossing.
Old 12-05-17, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I watched the first episode ... and found it TERRIBLE.

The acting is bad. The dubbing makes it worse. The dialog is scripted bad. It's plodding to an extent that makes LOST look like a thrill ride. This is stab your eyes out bad & boring.

I don't need explosions & car chases. I tend to not watch shows with those in them. But man, SOMETHING has to happen, character development, SOMETHING.

(Disclaimer: I don't do prime time serialized soap operas, like LOST.)
Old 12-05-17, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Dubbing? I thought it was German-language with subtitles.
Old 12-05-17, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
Dubbing? I thought it was German-language with subtitles.
It's either/or. Netflix allows you to change options.
Old 12-05-17, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Eddie W View Post
It's either/or. Netflix allows you to change options.
Cool beans. I didn't start it yet and was going by the trailer. I'll stick with the subs.
Old 12-05-17, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bryce0lynch
My wife and I watched the first episode ... and found it TERRIBLE.
I strongly disagree, and so do the reviews. Yeah it's slow paced, but to me that's almost a blessing because there's still a lot going on and the devil is in the details, which, as I said above, are easy to miss. Perhaps it's just not for you.

Heck this gets compared to Stranger Things and I think it's better. Actually, probably less fun (because it's darker (pun intended) and it makes you work harder to appreciate it) but more... sophisticated. I mean, it's like comparing The Walking Dead to Les Revenants (The Returned).

And I'd say that, unless you absolutely hate it, watch the first 3 episodes before you give up.

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
Cool beans. I didn't start it yet and was going by the trailer. I'll stick with the subs.
The dub is terrible, stick with the subs. It started automatically in English for me so I had to change it.

Last edited by eXcentris; 12-05-17 at 08:23 PM.
Old 12-05-17, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My wife just found this. We started watching it and yeah the dub is awful. We always watch anything with subtitles anyway since English is her second language. Got through 5 minutes and I switched over. Much better.
Old 12-05-17, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

So, without spoiling anything, what is this about?

I have really developed an aversion to shows/movies that are advertised in mystery as they are too often style over substance.
Old 12-06-17, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
So, without spoiling anything, what is this about?

I have really developed an aversion to shows/movies that are advertised in mystery as they are too often style over substance.
It seems like itís going to be about time travel.
Old 12-06-17, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
... there's still a lot going on ...
And I'd say that, unless you absolutely hate it, watch the first 3 episodes before you give up.
I didn't find much going on in the first episode, or maybe they beat what little there was to death and stretched it out too much. That's a characteristic of serialized soaps like LOST, so perhaps I recognized that.

It's at the bottom of the watchlist now, so I'm sure as we get desperate it will pop up again.

I'll have to try without the dubs. It seems like the script dialog was bad, like it was something out of Comrade Detective. "Hello friend. *HAHA* Will you attend childrens festival tomorrow next?"
Old 12-08-17, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 79 Likes on 73 Posts

Shit, just finished the first episode and I am hooked. Don't know what the rest of you elitists are watching, but this is good shit. I chuckled that they even figured a way to feature some "you spin me round" and new wave imagery in what I can only guess is the 80's new wave purgatory room.

Oh, and stick to the German with English subtitles.
Old 12-09-17, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Finished it and thought it was great. It's dense, hard to follow, and thought provoking, so I coudn't watch more than 2 episodes at the time. Then I'd pause to think about it, and I'd go back to watching bits of previous episodes to get potential answers before resuming with new ones. What complicates things is that you have a bunch of characters (essentially 4 families) with a plot spread out over 3 time periods, so the older characters are played by 3 different actors. Thank you clever use of split-screens (usually at the end of episodes) for helping in figuring that out.

I also like the fact that it's not one of those shows which poses a zillion questions and you get no answers/payoffs until the end. You get plenty of "holy crap!" moments and answers along the way. I do have a few criticism though. It can be a tad soap-ish, especially at first and while the plot is fascinating, it tends to lack real humanity. This often occurs when you have too many characters competing for screen time, but it does get better in that regard as the season progresses. Also, the soundtrack can be a tad overbearing. It's dark and gloomy enough that there's really no need for an orgy of strings constantly hitting you over the head. Anyway, this is minor stuff to me.

As to what it's all about, well it's complicated: Time travel (and the battle for the control of), wormholes, The Emerald Tablet (Hermeticism), causal determinism, the Greek myth of Ariadne, Goethe's "Faust", good vs evil, secrets and lies, etc.

...in what I can only guess is the 80's new wave purgatory room.
Major spoiler:

Spoiler:
It's a time machine.

Last edited by eXcentris; 12-09-17 at 11:51 AM.
Old 12-09-17, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
Major spoiler:

Spoiler:
It's a time machine.
I'm only on the 3rd episode and I thought that's where they were going with eventually.
Old 12-18-17, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Just finished this, liked it a lot although pretty hard to follow all the characters back and forth and who's who... watched in German with sub titles... might need to rewatch the first few eps again...

hope it gets renewed
Old 12-22-17, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

7 down 3 to go. Interesting show. Looks stunning in 4k HDR. I tried the English dubs for about 5 minutes and then I said no way. They were terrible. It is hard following the characters through time, but I liked that they did the split screen thing with young and old.
Old 12-22-17, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Just finished this. I did like it, though I agree with the earlier comments that this isn't light viewing (pardon the title pun ). You really have to concentrate while watching, and even then I would still get confused or lose track of who some characters were at times (though the very detailed episode synopses, character descriptions, and family tree at wiki were helpful to me).

I did find the episodes more gripping as the series went along. And damn that ending leaves us hanging
Spoiler:
Welcome to 2052!
Old 04-06-18, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just binged through this, and my head hurts in wonderful ways.

Dense, confusing, smart, clever. Maybe not perfect, but really fucking enjoyable.
Terrific casting across the board...
Old 06-29-18, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

Finished it last night. Ending blew. I thought this was a one and done or at least that was what I was hoping for and somehow thought it was indicated as such.

Meh is basically how I felt about it. Yes you do have to pay attention as little things are clues to major things. May or may not watch if there is another season.
Old 06-13-19, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Coming Friday, June 21st... Dark Season 2

Can't wait, best show on Netflix!
Old 07-10-19, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I binged the first season over the last few days and really enjoyed it, starting season 2 as I type this. Really looking forward to seeing where this goes.

FYI, season 3 is already filming and will be the final season.
Old 07-10-19, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm up to episode 10 of the first season - and DIDN'T KNOW I COULD CHANGE TO SUBTITLES!! I gotta figure how to do that before I continue!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.