Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Gifted (S1E08) -- "threat of eXtinction" -- 11/20/17

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-17, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
The Gifted (S1E08) -- "threat of eXtinction" -- 11/20/17

REED DISCOVERS HIS FAMILY'S HIDDEN PAST ON AN ALL-NEW "THE GIFTED" MONDAY, NOVEMBER 20, ON FOX

Zach Roerig ("The Vampire Diaries") and Garret Dillahunt ("The Mindy Project") Guest-Star

More refugees pour into the Mutant Underground, but the group faces a threat when they discover one of them is a spy working for Sentinel Services. Meanwhile, Reed visits his estranged father and learns that secrets from his family's past could prove useful in the all-new "threat of eXtinction" episode of THE GIFTED airing Monday, Nov. 20 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (GIF-108) (TV-PG L, V)

Cast: Stephen Moyer as Reed Strucker; Amy Acker as Caitlin Strucker; Sean Teale as Eclipse/Marcos Diaz; Jamie Chung as Blink/Clarice Fong aka Clarice Ferguson; Coby Bell as Jace Turner; Emma Dumont as Polaris/Lorna Dane; Blair Redford as Thunderbird/John Proudstar; Natalie Alyn Lind as Lauren Strucker; Percy Hynes White as Andy Strucker

Guest Cast: Elena Satine as Dreamer; Hayley Lovitt as Sage; Jermaine Rivers as Shatter; Garret Dillahunt as Dr. Roderick Campbell; Zach Roerig as Pulse; Paul Cooper as Andreas Von Strucker; Caitlin Mehner as Andrea Von Strucker; Ilan Srulovicz as Interpol Officer; James Dougherty as Pastor; Liza Fagin as Norah; Skyler Samuels as Esme; Renes Rivera as Hulking Mutant; Michelle Kim as Chloe Tan ("Vicious"); Marco Schittone as Young Boy; Raymond J. Barry as Otto Strucker; Stephen Alderfer as SS Agent
Old 11-21-17, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts
Re: The Gifted (S1E08) -- "threat of eXtinction" -- 11/20/17

Huh, no feedback. It was one of the best episodes so far.
Old 11-21-17, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really digging this show and in my opinion it keeps getting better. Really enjoyed the back story with the father and after seeing the opening, I was like okay I see where we are going with the siblings. I am also really liking the characters as they have found their groove and purpose.
Old 11-21-17, 12:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Being a fan of the X-men comics from waaaaayyyy back, I've been digging the call outs to various aspects of the X verse. However, I actually sat up and thought to myself as the episode started, "Wait? Fenris?"
So I was pleasantly surprised and now very curious to see where the story goes concerning the 2 kids who I didn't care for as much as the other characters. The shows been getting stronger each week and I'm aboard for the long haul.
Old 11-21-17, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The X-Men are gone (why?). It was kind of the same in the Logan movie in the sense that I remember a line saying no mutants had been born in a long time (why?). The Sentinels, which are mutant-hunting robots are not in The Gifted, but we have Sentinel Services, which would seem to have some tie-in. Have Sentinel Services replaced "the" Sentinels, do Sentinels exist, but we're just not seeing them, or do the Sentinel robots not yet exist? They existed (in both past and future) to some degree in Days of Future Past. Also, I thought we'd seen them in "X-Men: The Last Stand" as training robots. I previously just assumed those would continue to be improved (to provide for more challenging training) until they became too powerful and became sentient or went rogue or something.

I can't say I'm hooked on the show, but it has managed to keep me watching so far. From what I can tell in the most recent episode, they suggested the speedy girl (luckily not as fast as Flash, so she couldn't phase through bars) was dying from the drug that enhances their powers. But we never saw the "best friend hunter" suffer any ill effects from being on the drug, so it wasn't clear to me why the girl would.

One of the things that's frustrating to me about the show is the number of people who have to "charge" in order to use their powers. For instance, the grandfather trying to stop Sentinel Services from searching his antiques shop has to charge, which allows him to be shot. Even the grandfather's parents, when they're doing their thing, seem to need a charge. Portal girl is also always seen as charging before she can open a portal. Someone previously said that she just hasn't mastered her powers yet, and that makes sense, but it's harder to explain the grandfather other than perhaps to say he's out of practice too since he tried to bury that aspect of himself.

Anyway, it weakens the characters. Days of Future Past portaling was way more exciting. Ditto for the way Nightcrawler has used his powers in the movies (the "attack" on the president was thrilling). I accept that there will be some noobs, but every now and then it's nice to just see powers used. I don't need to see the portal window opening for 10 seconds before someone goes through is so they can show off the special effects. It'll impress me just as much if presented as a one second shot.

Which brings me to the next thing... in the movies, we see Magneto's gang, and although we're supposed to root for humane treatment of mutants and the X-Men, we can relate to the fear humanity would feel in the face of these powerful beings, some of which think humans are beneath them. Most of what we're seeing here are just homeless orphans huddled up for heat and scavenging for food. We did see one event (the march), but it's just not feeling established to me that humanity really needs to fear mutants. We need to see bad ones as well to establish the fear. They're not totally failing in that regard, it just doesn't feel established enough (yet?). They mentioned the guy who can create images/illusion had been part of a criminal gang before joining the underground.

I'm not sure how I feel about this vs Legion. I think that one felt more thrilling. At the end of the day, most of the Marvel "superhero" comics have always been a blend with strong drama and action components. This show has both, but I wouldn't say they're "strong".
Old 11-21-17, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I just got caught up with the last 2 weeks, including.

This week's was pretty good, much better than last week.

Some good back story about Stricker and his family. That was a cool scene when Stricker's Dad basically made himself into a bomb to distract the Sentinel services.

Garrett Dillahunt has been a nice addition. Much more intimidating foil to the mutants and Stricker family than Turner.

FOX just released their midseason schedule and it looks like The Gifted is airing 3 new episodes in the new year (2 hour finale on January 15th)

So, it looks like it's either a 12 or 13 episode season, not 10 as I originally thought.
Old 11-23-17, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by pelenor
Being a fan of the X-men comics from waaaaayyyy back, I've been digging the call outs to various aspects of the X verse. However, I actually sat up and thought to myself as the episode started, "Wait? Fenris?"
I had the same reaction! As soon as they touched hands, I actually said out loud "No way, Fenris?"
I've liked this show from the start, but this episode was really, really good. I thought the reveal about the dad was interesting, and can't wait to see what will happen with the siblings.