Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power -- news, rumors, etc.

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power -- news, rumors, etc.

Old 07-28-19, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
re: The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power -- news, rumors, etc.

Video tweet on the creative team behind this show. They've got a production staff with some impressive credentials working on this series.

Old 08-08-19, 02:43 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Major primetime television shows used to feature 22-24 episodes in a season, but in the era of Peak TV, smaller episode counts have become the new normal for prestige shows. But Amazon’s upcoming The Lord of the Rings TV series may be looking to change that. According to Tolkien scholar Tom Shippey, who’s on the payroll for the new series, The Lord of the Rings season 1 will be comprised of 20 episodes.

Read his comments below, including a fascinating breakdown of which parts of Tolkien’s stories are “off limits” in the series.

Lord of the Rings Season 1 to Have 20 Episodes

A Fandom tweet pointed me to a German website which conducted an interview with Tom Shippey, one of the people mentioned in Amazon’s recent video showcasing the behind-the-scenes talent working on the highly-anticipated Lord of the Rings show. When asked about recent unconfirmed rumors that the series may film in places like Scotland or New Zealand, Shippey couldn’t confirm where it would be shot, but he did reveal how many episodes are intended to be in the first season:

Logically, you try to bundle all the scenes that take place in one location and film them so that you have it done and don’t have to return to that place several times. But this also implies that everything has to be clear at the start of filming, you have to know the end. There’s supposed to be 20 episodes for the first season. So until they’ve decided what the end is going to be, they can’t start filming.

If that holds true, it would be a big break from the recent trend toward smaller episode counts on major TV shows. Game of Thrones, the most obvious comparison point to this Lord of the Rings show, featured ten episode seasons for most of its run, but even dropped to seven in its seventh season and six in its final stretch. (As for the location itself, Amazon knows where it’s going to film the show, but it has not made that information public yet.)

Which Parts of Tolkien’s Histories Can the Amazon Series Use?

We’ve known for a while that the Amazon show would be set during Tolkien’s Second Age, and Shippey commented briefly on that:

The Tolkien Estate will insist that the main shape of the Second Age is not altered. Sauron invades Eriador, is forced back by a Númenorean expedition, is returns to Númenor. There he corrupts the Númenoreans and seduces them to break the ban of the Valar. All this, the course of history, must remain the same. But you can add new characters and ask a lot of questions, like: What has Sauron done in the meantime? Where was he after Morgoth was defeated? Theoretically, Amazon can answer these questions by inventing the answers, since Tolkien did not describe it. But it must not contradict anything which Tolkien did say. That’s what Amazon has to watch out for. It must be canonical, it is impossible to change the boundaries which Tolkien has created, it is necessary to remain “tolkienian.”

But he also revealed something in this interview I hadn’t heard before: apparently Amazon only has the rights to the Second Age.

“The First and Third Ages are ‘off-limits’, you can’t have the First Age. Events could be mentioned at the most if they explain the events of the Second Age. But if it is not described or mentioned in the Lord of the Rings or in the appendices, they probably cannot use it. So the question is to what extent they may hint at events that took place, for example, in the First Age, but still continue to affect the Second Age. There are several maps authorized by Tolkien, not just the ones we are familiar with, and some of those maps have places on them which are not in the other maps. But if Tolkien authorized them then that’s okay. So it’s a bit of a minefield. You have to tread very carefully but at the same time there is quite a lot of scope for interpretation and free invention.”

The site says that the Tolkien Estate retains the rights to everything in the First Age, and a company called Middle-earth Enterprises owns the rights to the events depicted in The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, which take place in the Third Age, and it’s unclear if Amazon has attempted to bargain with Middle-earth Enterprises to be able to reference any of those events in its upcoming show. I’ve never heard of specific ages of a fictional world being split up and sold off to different licensees, but Tolkien’s world is more expansive than most.

I’d previously assumed that Amazon was drawing from The Silmarillion, Tolkien’s the massive history of Middle-earth published after his death, as it looked for stories to tell in this new show. But Shippey’s comments indicate that Amazon can only use the section of that book which covers the Second Age, and that’s only touched on in one of five divided sections of that sprawling book.

The Lord of the Rings does not have a premiere date yet, but we’ll keep you posted when we learn more about it.
https://www.slashfilm.com/lord-of-th...-LTdgZEdxYpKV0
Old 08-08-19, 03:11 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Unless this gets incredible reviews, I have no desire to watch this. I try and avoid long ass seasons by watching Amazon and other shows that are streaming only. There’s enough good stuff out there already.
Old 08-08-19, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

I'm not sure why a series taking place in the Second Age would reference events in the Third Age, which is still thousands of years away.

This is probably the most information we've gotten about not only the Amazon series, but how the Tolkien estate runs things.

I'm not sure it's a good idea to split up the rights among the First, Second, and Third Ages. Seems like it could be a a legal and creative nightmare, like how the rights to Spider-Man, The Hulk, and Namor (and, previously, the X-Men and Fantastic Four) are separate from the greater MCU.

But I do appreciate that the Tolkien estate is attempting to keep everything "canon" and in line with Tolkien's written works.
Old 08-08-19, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Wonder if they'll be released in parts like Netflix usually does.

Netflix will do a 20 episode season of a show, but release it in two parts.
Old 08-08-19, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,190 Likes on 916 Posts

I'm definitely interested but I wanted stuff from the First Age. Oh well.
Old 08-08-19, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I'm going to have to look through the appendices again because I'm not clear on who is doing what in this era.

I wonder if Amazon will be able to sell this without recognizable characters and imagery from the movies.
Old 08-08-19, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Way more interest in the Wheel of Time adaptation, which is also Amazon's most anticipated series not this
Old 08-08-19, 07:15 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

I don't remember what takes place when either.

Just as long as it's good.
Old 08-10-19, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts

Seems that Amazon should come out with a name for the series so that people quit calling it the "Lord of the Rings" series since that is apparently highly misleading. Middle-Earth something or another would make sense.

For some reason, I was under the impression they were doing stories that would lead into and take place around the LOTR and The Hobbit, where you might see Aragorn defending the Shire and some of Gandalf's side-quests and so forth. Obviously not. The wizards won't even be a part of this. I can't even recall if Orcs are a thing in the Second Age or not.
Old 08-10-19, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The orcs were created by (or, probably more specifically, bred by) Morgoth in the First Age, and they have always been around and formed the backbone of Sauron's forces in the Second and Third Ages.

I don't think a lot really happened in the Third Age outside of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. A few minor skirmishes here and there; and Aragorn hunted down Gollum in the eighteen or so years between Bilbo's 111th birthday party and Frodo leaving the Shire with the Ring (the possibility of this being covered in the films was removed when the timeline was compressed).

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 08-11-19 at 06:23 PM.
Old 08-11-19, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Well darn. I wanted to see some of the awesome stuff with Melkor/Morgoth and some of his dragons and balrogs. Guess Sauron's first rise to power might borrow some elements.
Old 08-11-19, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,190 Likes on 916 Posts

Here's a timeline of what went on during the Second Age:

https://lotr.fandom.com/wiki/Second_Age
Old 08-11-19, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh. The rings are forged and the wars start. That just sold it for me.
Old 08-29-19, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Oh. The rings are forged and the wars start. That just sold it for me.
OK, yeah, now you're talking.
Old 11-18-19, 07:59 PM

EXCLUSIVE: As pre-production on Amazon Studios’ high-profile Lord Of the Rings TV series is gearing up in New Zealand, the streamer is moving ahead with an early Season 2 renewal for the sprawling adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien’s fantasy novels. As part of that, Amazon has commissioned the reassembling of the writers room to break the second season. Amazon Studios head Jennifer Salke confirmed to Deadline the news that the second season of LOTR is already in the works during the company’s holiday party Sunday night at the H Club in Hollywood.

Amazon Studios acquired global TV rights to The Lord of the Rings in a blockbuster November 2017 deal. It included a multi-season commitment to a LOTR series as well as a potential spinoff series. Still, each consecutive season after the first has to be formally greenlighted by the streaming network.

The early Season 2 pickup is good news for fans as it will allow for a shorter break between the end of Season 1 and the premiere of Season 2 on Prime Video,, which is available in 240-plus countries and territories..

In conjunction with the early renewal, the LOTR series will go on a 4-5-month hiatus after filming the first two episodes from Season 1, directed by J.A. Bayona. The writing team of the series, led by showrunners and executive producers J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay, will use the time to map out and write the bulk of Season 2 scripts.

Taking a break after the opening episode or two is standard practice for shows with straight-to-series orders as it allows producers and executives to step back and evaluate the footage much like they would do with a pilot. By going on a longer than normal hiatus, LOTR will be ready with Season 2 scripts so it could possibly film some Season 2 footage during the Season 1 shoot or even film the remainder of Season 1 and Season 2 back-to-back.

That was a strategy used by Peter Jackson in shooting his blockbuster LOTR movie trilogy, also in New Zealand. That is considered a sensible approach for big-budget productions like LOTR as it helps find efficiencies because every filming ramp-up is expensive. Additionally, by extending the hiatus, the series, which, in keeping with the Tolkien mythology is expected to shoot primarily outdoors, will return to production after the winter season in New Zealand is over.

Set in Middle Earth, the TV series will explore new storylines preceding J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Fellowship of the Ring. The lead cast, which is yet to be confirmed by Amazon, is believed to include Will Poulter, Markella Kavenagh and Joseph Mawle

The Lord of the Rings series is produced by Amazon Studios. In addition to showrunners Payne and McKay, executive producers include Bayona and his producing partner Belén Atienza, Lindsey Weber, Bruce Richmond, Gene Kelly, Sharon Tal Yguado as well as writers Gennifer Hutchison; Jason Cahill and Justin Doble

Bryan Cogman and Stephany Folsom are consulting producers, Ron Ames a producer, Helen Shang a co-producer, and Glenise Mullins a writing consultant.

The rest of the series’ creative team includes costume designer: Kate Hawley (Suicide Squad), production designer: Rick Heinrichs (Star Wars: The Last Jedi), visual effects supervisor: Jason Smith (The Revenant), Tolkien scholar Tom Shippey and renowned illustrator/concept artist John Howe.

https://deadline.com/2019/11/the-lor...ed-1202788730/
Old 11-20-19, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Season 2 (and 3 and 4) renewal is a no-brainer. I mean, if you've already sunk about a half billion dollars into a series, you might as well go all-out.
Old 11-20-19, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Still interesting that we don't have a title. I doubt they can use the "The Lord of the Rings", but I can see they use something like War of the Ring or Middle-Earth for name brand recognition.

I wonder if we could see the two unnamed blue wizards?
Old 11-20-19, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Still interesting that we don't have a title. I doubt they can use the "The Lord of the Rings", but I can see they use something like War of the Ring or Middle-Earth for name brand recognition.
Forging of the Rings? Fall of Numenor?

I wonder if we could see the two unnamed blue wizards?
The Istari didn't arrive in Middle Earth until one thousand years into the Third Age. Though Tolkien later claimed that the two Blue Wizards arrived in MIddle Earth during the Second Age, before Radagast, Gandalf, and Saruman, so it is possible.
Old 11-20-19, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Yes, I'm curious too as to when we'll actually get a title for this thing.
Old 12-18-19, 04:39 PM

“His Dark Materials” star Morfydd Clark has landed a lead role in Amazon’s upcoming “Lord of the Rings” series.

She joins a cast that includes Markella Kavenagh, Joseph Mawle and Maxim Baldry. Sources say Clark will play young Galadriel, the character famously portrayed by Cate Blanchett in Peter Jackson’s “Lord of the Rings” and “The Hobbit” films. This would mark one of the first major characters from the book or film announced for the show.

Amazon declined to comment. Reps for Mawle did not immediately respond to Variety’s request for comment.
https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/lor...rk-1203446284/

Also, Will Poulter dropped out.
Old 12-18-19, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I keep seeing all these casting announcements and realizing I don't know any of them. I guess I don't watch the right shows. Or I don't pay enough attention to the credits.
Old 12-18-19, 06:11 PM

Or a lot are still pretty unknown.
Old 01-07-20, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

flashback Ned Stark from Game of Thrones is taking over Will Poulter's role
Old 01-14-20, 06:24 PM

Amazon Studios at TCA today announced the first group of regulars set to star in their adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings series. The cast officially includes Robert Aramayo, Owain Arthur, Nazanin Boniadi, Tom Budge, Morfydd Clark, Ismael Cruz Córdova, Ema Horvath, Markella Kavenagh, Joseph Mawle, Tyroe Muhafidin, Sophia Nomvete, Megan Richards, Dylan Smith, Charlie Vickers and Daniel Weyman. Cameras roll next month. Table reads in New Zealand are already underway.

It was previously reported that Aramayo, Horvath, Kavenagh and Mawle boarded the series, but Amazon never confirmed them. The studio made it official today that the trio were indeed part of the cast. Will Poulter, who had joined The Lord of the Rings TV series in September, exited last month due to scheduling conflicts.

“We still have a few key roles to cast,” said Amazon Co-head of TV Vernon Sanders at TCA this afternoon. Together with Amazon Studios boss Jennifer Salke and co-head of TV and COO Albert Cheng, they weren’t ready to give up who exactly these actors would be playing in the new series.

As previously announced, the series is led by showrunners and executive producers J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay; they are joined by filmmaker J.A. Bayona (The Orphanage, Jurassic Park: Fallen Kingdom), who is directing the first two episodes and serving as executive producer, alongside his partner Belén Atienza; with executive producers Lindsey Weber (10 Cloverfield Lane), Bruce Richmond (Game of Thrones), Gene Kelly (Boardwalk Empire), Sharon Tal Yguado, Gennifer Hutchison (Breaking Bad), Jason Cahill (The Sopranos), and Justin Doble (Stranger Things).

Said McKay and Payne: “After undertaking an extensive global search, we are delighted finally to reveal the first group of brilliant performers who will take part in Amazon’s The Lord of the Rings series. These exceptionally talented women and men are more than just our actors: they are the newest members of an ever-expanding creative family that is now working tirelessly to bring Middle-earth to life anew for fans and audiences worldwide.”

Set in Middle-earth, the television adaptation will explore new storylines preceding J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Fellowship of the Ring. The Lord of the Rings was named Amazon customers’ favorite book of the millennium in 1999 and Britain’s best-loved novel of all time in BBC’s The Big Read in 2003. Its theatrical adaptations, from New Line Cinema and filmmaker Peter Jackson have grossed close to $6 billion worldwide and earned a combined 17 Academy Awards, including Best Picture.
https://deadline.com/2020/01/lord-of...ca-1202830413/

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.