TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Lord of the Rings series coming to Amazon

Old 11-14-17, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

re: Lord of the Rings series coming to Amazon

Originally Posted by Eric F View Post
This is the kind of attitude that keeps animation from being considered as a legitimate art form for adults in the west. It doesn't matter, half of it will probably be CG anyways, which is animation.

Unless it's Disney/Pixar it's rarely economically viable. It's wishful thinking to expect Amazon shelling out this much money to turn it into an animated production. In fact, it should come as no surprise that it will be live action since Bezos already went on record to say that he wanted something like GOT on Amazon. Why would it be animation?
Old 11-14-17, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Unless it's Disney/Pixar it's rarely economically viable. It's wishful thinking to expect Amazon shelling out this much money to turn it into an animated production. In fact, it should come as no surprise that it will be live action since Bezos already went on record to say that he wanted something like GOT on Amazon. Why would it be animation?
That's not quite what he said. He said he wanted a hit on the scale of GoT.

Regardless, a fantasy series on the scale of LotR is going to be difficult and expensive to produce in any form. Amazon has plenty of money to throw around, so let's hope they do it right. I'd like to think they'll do a better job than The Hobbit, but we'll see...
Old 11-14-17, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well Amazon is tracking for moving TWO HUNDRED ... BILLION dollars this year. I'm not sure how much of that is free cash profit. But pretty sure they have the cashflow to take their film studio wherever they want. I predict that they're set to become as prestigious as the big studios.

I don't know much about Lord of the Rings outside of the movies. I just hope they keep it in Peter Jackson's world, use WETA, and sync everything up.
Old 11-15-17, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
Well Amazon is tracking for moving TWO HUNDRED ... BILLION dollars this year. I'm not sure how much of that is free cash profit. But pretty sure they have the cashflow to take their film studio wherever they want. I predict that they're set to become as prestigious as the big studios.

I don't know much about Lord of the Rings outside of the movies. I just hope they keep it in Peter Jackson's world, use WETA, and sync everything up.
How can they keep it in "Peter Jackson's world" if it takes place before the books? I hope they don't. I don't know of anyone >14 who liked The Hobbit films.
Old 11-15-17, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Eric F View Post
How can they keep it in "Peter Jackson's world" if it takes place before the books? I hope they don't. I don't know of anyone >14 who liked The Hobbit films.
I can enjoy them while still admitting that they're not on the level of the LOTR films. It's still a fun experience being back in that world.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Something to add to this:

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2017...olkien-estate/

Christopher was always the one holding everything back. It's only because JRR sold the movie rights so many years ago that we go the old animated ones plus PJ's films. With him resigning, other family members can now open up the rest of the works to being adapted.
Old 11-16-17, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
I can enjoy them while still admitting that they're not on the level of the LOTR films. It's still a fun experience being back in that world..
i agree. i know the Hobbit movies are crap but i still enjoy middle earth and the characters. especially the extended editions
Old 12-17-17, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/ne...e-ring-series/

Ian McKellen is open to playing Gandalf again in the Amazon TV show.

He says he hasn't been asked yet though.
Old 12-17-17, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk God

Better get moving before he kicks the bucket!
Old 12-18-17, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/ne...e-ring-series/

Ian McKellen is open to playing Gandalf again in the Amazon TV show.

He says he hasn't been asked yet though.
There may jot he a place for Gandalf, depending on how far back they go. If it's The Silmarillion, then that takes place well before the Istari (wizards) arrived in Middle Earth.

Actually, I don't think a lot happened with the Istari between their arrival in Middle Earth and the start of the War of the Ring.
Old 12-18-17, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd rather see this go in it's own direction completely. Tom Bombadil and the whole shebang. Slavish remakes are pointless.
Old 04-05-18, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...etflix-1099213

This is expected to become the most expensive TV show ever.

On Nov. 13, Amazon Studios beat out Netflix for a $250 million rights deal with the Tolkien estate, publisher HarperCollins and New Line Cinema that includes a five-season commitment to bring The Lord of the Rings to the small screen. With the clock ticking, Amazon must be in production within two years, according to the terms of the pact. When production expenses like casting, producers and visual effects are factored in, the series is expected to cost north of $1 billion.
Old 04-05-18, 01:52 PM

Five seasons. Hmmm.
Old 04-05-18, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah $1 billion+ for 10 episodes of TV. Not sure if Amazon can afford 5 seasons of this.

Gotta raise those Amazon Prime rates.
Old 04-05-18, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yikes.

Did they ever say if this is going to tell some original story or just rehash the films/books?
Old 04-05-18, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The $1 billion figure sounds like a wildly inflated fabrication planted by Amazon in the press for attention and publicity.
Old 04-06-18, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This the stupidest idea ever.
What more is there regarding LOTR after PJ's magnificent movies?

If Amazon wants a long running big budget series of a similar nature, they should buy the rights to Dune, and have Denis Villenueve (currently writing a screenplay for the 1st novel) oversee the project.
There are 6 books that could easily be made into a 10 year series.
Old 04-06-18, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
The $1 billion figure sounds like a wildly inflated fabrication planted by Amazon in the press for attention and publicity.
But remember, Amazon paid $250M just to acquire the rights.

As that blurb states, they have not accounted for production costs (pre and actual shooting costs), casts, production staff (writers producers, directors), locations and most importantly post production/special effects. I don't doubt that the counting the rights fees the cost to make the 1st could push that threshold.

It's already April 2018 and no one has been hired, no scripts have been written, no locations have been set. I think we won't see this actually go into production until maybe Winter at the earliest. I think realistically early 2019 and a release in 2020 seems feasible. This is going to be at least a 9-12 month production.

Last edited by DJariya; 04-06-18 at 02:29 AM.
Old 04-06-18, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by melasnus View Post
This the stupidest idea ever.
What more is there regarding LOTR after PJ's magnificent movies?
The Creation of Arda, The Battles of Beleriand, The War of Wrath, the Silmarills, Gondolin, the Fall of Numenor, the Creation of the Rings, the Last Alliance. Morgoth, Sauron.
Old 04-06-18, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
The Creation of Arda, The Battles of Beleriand, The War of Wrath, the Silmarills, Gondolin, the Fall of Numenor, the Creation of the Rings, the Last Alliance. Morgoth, Sauron.
I thought that since that was all in the Silmarillion (or was some of it in the indices?) it wasn't included in any LOTR deal and that the Tolkien estate said they'd never sell anything more licenses for movies/TV. Has that changed?
Old 04-06-18, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by ben12 View Post
I thought that since that was all in the Silmarillion (or was some of it in the indices?) it wasn't included in any LOTR deal and that the Tolkien estate said they'd never sell anything more licenses for movies/TV. Has that changed?
Apparently so.

Maybe that $250 million Amazon waved under Christopher Tolkien's nose changed his mind.

From what I understand, they bought the rights to everything Middle Earth-related, so they can adapt anything, or even do wholly original stories set in Middle Earth.
Old 04-06-18, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Also, from what I understand, Amazon and Netflix were competing for the rights, so it sounds like the Tolkien estate was looking to sell.

A lot of the articles I've read are kind of vague about what exactly was sold. Most make reference to "The Lord of the Rings," though it might just be lazy reporting. I can't imagine Amazon would put one billion dollars down to just remake a series of movies that are less than twenty years old.

This article from the Verge makes it clear that they bought Tolkien's literary world, and their series will be part of the universe established in Jackson's six films.
Old 05-16-18, 06:24 PM

Old 06-07-18, 07:29 AM

Amazon is going all in on its upcoming Lord of the Rings series, which will reportedly run for five seasons and “explore storylines preceding The Fellowship of the Ring,“ including, some say, a young Aragorn. It’s also been widely rumored to boast a budget of $1 billion, which is enough to make Peter Jackson’s six Tolkien adaptations look teensy in comparison. Speaking of Jackson, it’s been unclear up to this point as to whether or not he’d be involved in the series beyond the “dialogue” it’s said his lawyer started between he and Amazon last year. Now, we finally have an answer — but it’s a little complicated.

Jackson commented on the series to French outlet AlloCiné earlier this week, saying, “I’m not involved at all in the Lord of the Rings series.” He continued, “I understand how my name could come up, but there is nothing happening with me on this project.”

In a subsequent interview with IGN’s German site, however, Jackson revised his comments. Saying that “[Amazon] has very good intentions with it all,” he asserts that he “would not want to be the one responsible for the entire TV series.” What he is doing, he says, is helping to put together “the creative team.”

So, he’s sorta involved?

Here’s the full quote, translated from German:

“I had a phone conversation with Amazon on that one — I think that was over a year ago and it sounded like they were doing the right thing [with the show], they have very good intentions with it, it all sounds very fascinating and exciting. However, I would not want to be the one responsible for the entire TV series, simply because I’ve never been responsible for a [long-term] series like this before in my life. So it would not be very smart if I took on the role of showrunner. What I’m actually doing right now is putting the creative team [behind the series] together. “

AlloCiné also asked Jackson about whether or not he’s considering the possibility of directing a superhero movie in the DC Extended Universe, a rumor he also shot down. “That’s not true. I had no discussions about that,” Jackson said. “I’m not a fan of comics, I’ve never read any, so I’m not particularly interested in adapting one for cinema. That’s not true at all. I’m not involved in any DC film or Lord of The Rings series but I’m ok with it, I have plenty other projects that keep me busy.”

One of the projects is this December’s adaptation of Philip Reeve’s novel Mortal Engines. Jackson is producing the film in addition to having written the script with Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens. Christian Rivers, Jackson’s longtime storyboard artist and visual effects collaborator, is directing.
https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/...-rings-amazon/
Old 06-07-18, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can fully understand PJ's reluctance to get involved in this boondoggle.
He's no dummy.
Old 06-07-18, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
Uhhh. Of all the source material there is to cover this is what they're going to do? I don't even recall young Aragorn even being mentioned anywhere in the other books like the Silmarillion. That said I never really made it that far in the Lost Tales books, I found them pretty boring.

I hope it's good. I'll keep my expectations low.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.