DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Twilight Zone (CBS All Access) -- from producer and host Jordan Peele (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/642001-twilight-zone-cbs-all-access-producer-host-jordan-peele.html)

RichC2 12-19-12 12:54 PM

Twilight Zone (CBS All Access) -- from producer and host Jordan Peele

http://www.deadline.com/2012/12/brya...bs-tv-studios/

EXCLUSIVE: The Twilight Zone is eying a return to primetime. X-Men director Bryan Singer has closed a deal to develop, executive produce and possibly direct a reboot of Rod Serling’s classic. The drama series project, now in early stages, is set up at CBS TV Studios, which has the rights to the original series. Search is underway for a writer to pen the new Twilight Zone. The project has not been pitched to networks yet but CBS is an obvious destination since CBS TV Studios only supplies CBS and the CW on the broadcast side, and CBS carried the original series as well as the first revival. In addition to the TV series project, there has been a feature Twilight Zone remake in the works at Warner Bros. with Matt Reeves attached to direct from a script by Jason Rothenberg.

The original Twilight Zone series ran on CBS from 1959 to 1964. CBS also aired a remake, which ran from 1985 to 1989 seasons. The most recent series reboot, hosted by Forest Whitaker, premiered on UPN in 2002 and lasted one season. Singer, who directed the pilot for Fox’s long-running medical drama House, which he executive produced, recently helmed and exec produced another reboot of a classic series, NBC’s Munsters-themed Mockingbird Lane pilot, which aired as a Halloween special. On the feature side, Singer is back at the helm of the X-Men franchise with the upcoming X-Men: Days Of Future Past after directing and producing the first two installments in the superhero movie series. He is with WME and attorney Dave Feldman.
Mockingbird Lane didn't do too great but House did alright.

Michael Corvin 12-19-12 12:57 PM

Re: Twilight Zone getting another reboot @ CBS w/ Bryan Singer.

Love the original and while it had some warts, I even enjoyed the 2002 series.

I'm down for this.

Neil M. 12-19-12 12:59 PM

I could always go for more Twilight Zone.

elijahmagallon 12-19-12 01:33 PM

I love the original series, so might like this...

VHS? 12-20-12 02:49 PM

Hollywood hasn't the creativity nor the originality, to re-boot this series.
If it happens, I give it ONE season ... if that ... as I am pretty sure someone will pitch a reality TV show to replace it ;)

Charlie Goose 12-20-12 10:12 PM

I'd like to see more TZ. Needs a suitably spooky host/narrator though.

brayzie 12-21-12 03:13 AM

Not really crazy about this news. I caught a few episodes of the 2002 series with Forest Whitaker and he wasn't that great a narrator.

Twilight Zone was something special in that era of black and white television. I think they should leave it alone.

I'd be more excited if they try to pitch a new anthology series without having to rely on a brand name.

dhmac 12-21-12 07:14 AM

Yeah, more Twilight Zone is good thing. I even like the 1980s TV series version too.

elijahmagallon 12-21-12 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by brayzie (Post 11514148)
Not really crazy about this news. I caught a few episodes of the 2002 series with Forest Whitaker and he wasn't that great a narrator.

Twilight Zone was something special in that era of black and white television. I think they should leave it alone.

I'd be more excited if they try to pitch a new anthology series without having to rely on a brand name.

Although I would go for a new series, I completely agree about Forest Whitaker. I think he's come rely overrated and I just find him annoying in everything I see hm in. :-(

Mike86 12-21-12 11:03 AM

This could be cool if it's done right. I too enjoyed the original version and the 80s reboot was okay. I haven't seen much of the 2002 version. My only question is putting it on CBS. To me regular network television doesn't seem to be the right fit for a science-fiction/anthology series like The Twilight Zone. I'm concerned they'll try to change it to make it fit better on their network and only use the name as a way to draw some fans in.

RichC2 12-21-12 12:37 PM

Different landscape, you have to keep in mind one of the biggest shows of the last decade was Lost, a sci-fi mystery serial of all things. Anthology is ideal for broadcast TV as well since you can tune in even if you miss a week, works great for repeats too.

Bald 12-25-12 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by elijahmagallon (Post 11512313)
I love the original series

Ditto!

I never get tired of watching of it. The original Twilight Zone for the win. It's classic!!

sven 12-25-12 03:36 AM

I'd rather HBO brought back Tales From The Crypt.

Trevor 12-25-12 07:39 AM

I loved the original, and even enjoyed both revivals; so I'm in.

dvd-4-life 12-25-12 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose (Post 11514008)

Christopher Walken ???

PenguinJoe 12-25-12 09:37 AM

I think Chris Carter would be the best fit for the show as producer.

Good voices I always thought Chris Parnell talked like Rod Serling.

elijahmagallon 12-25-12 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life (Post 11517602)
Christopher Walken ???

That'd be fantastic!

wmansir 12-25-12 12:20 PM

All versions of the show have been hit or miss, episode to episode, so I'll give it a go.

Don Homer 12-28-12 09:41 AM

I think Michael Emerson would be fantastic as a narrator. He probably pretty busy with Person Of Interest though.

sven 12-28-12 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Don Homer (Post 11520007)
I think Michael Emerson would be fantastic as a narrator. He probably pretty busy with Person Of Interest though.

He does do creepy well.

Josh-da-man 12-28-12 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Don Homer (Post 11520007)

Doing a bit of voice-over work would probably only take him an hour or so.

Tracer Bullet 12-28-12 09:39 PM

Side tangent, but maybe this news indicates that CBS is NOT allergic to bringing Star Trek back to TV (where it belongs)? Eh, probably not.

Supermallet 12-28-12 09:50 PM

I heard CBS is working on a new series about the Borg entitled "Yes We Are A Species".

Tracer Bullet 12-28-12 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Supermallet (Post 11520609)
I heard CBS is working on a new series about the Borg entitled "Yes We Are A Species".

That's kind of a clunky title. I hope they change it.

danfindlay 12-28-12 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose (Post 11514008)

John Noble.

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/i/20...belebobele.jpg