DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Twilight Zone (CBS All Access) -- from producer and host Jordan Peele (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/642001-twilight-zone-cbs-all-access-producer-host-jordan-peele.html)

Gizmo 05-19-20 07:17 PM

Re: Twilight Zone (CBS All Access) -- from producer and host Jordan Peele

How can anyone fuck up Twilight Zone? Ask CBS AA

brayzie 05-19-20 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Gizmo (Post 13744114)
How can anyone fuck up Twilight Zone? Ask CBS AA

He did they fuck it up? I haven’t watched. Just curious to know the specific criticisms.

The original was amazing.

I liked the 80s one but I don’t know how consistent it was. I think Tales from the Darkside and the Hitchhiker were better 80s anthology shows.

I caught a few episodes of the UPN reboot and it was so-so at best.

Gizmo 05-30-20 10:17 AM

Apparently CBS is dropping all the episodes on day 1 - no longer weekly.

E Unit 05-30-20 10:29 AM

Wow, is the show that bad? I haven’t checked it out yet.

Mike86 05-30-20 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by brayzie (Post 13744128)
He did they fuck it up? I haven’t watched. Just curious to know the specific criticisms.

The original was amazing.

I liked the 80s one but I don’t know how consistent it was. I think Tales from the Darkside and the Hitchhiker were better 80s anthology shows.

I caught a few episodes of the UPN reboot and it was so-so at best.

I kind of like the version from the 80’s. At least what I’ve seen of it. I have the season one DVD set but never picked up the season two and three set. Not as classic as the original but a fun enough update.

The early 2000’s version hosted by Forest Whitaker I didn’t watch much of at all. I think I saw bits and pieces of a couple episodes is all.

Michael Corvin 05-30-20 03:43 PM

The Forest Whittaker one was decent. The Hitler episode was solid, as was an artist's creation/companion coming to life. I don't recall much of the rest. Whittaker was a much better host than Jordan Peele though, who seems to be on the brink of falling asleep during each monologue.

I'm 5 episodes in and it has been pretty uneven. The first episode, The Comedian with Kumail Nanjiani was so-so. Traci Morgan was out of place playing a serious role, IMO. The problem was for an episode about a comedian the jokes were terrible. Maybe that was the point, I don't even remember. :lol: You would think they would front load the best episode to hook people in, but this clearly wasn't it. I really dug the modern take on Nightmare at 20,000 Feet as well as Replay about the racist cop in the South. It was kinda on-the-nose but it was still enjoyable, and clearly relevant today. A Traveler was pretty weak while Wunderkind about the kid POTUS was a bit over-the-top preposterous, even with our current Toddler-in-Cheif residing in the White House.

I need to get back binge the rest though so I can dump CBS.

Barth 05-30-20 05:50 PM

I didn’t hate it like most here, but yes almost all the previous iterations were better. I really liked the 80s version and I also have season one on dvd. Maybe it’s because I was a teenager and I could suspend my belief easier then. I will watch this second season and be hopeful it’s improved some. Being an anthology there’s a chance.

Josh-da-man 05-30-20 07:01 PM

I liked the 80s Twilight Zone quite a bit, too.

One thing I think it really had going in its favor is that the stories were frequently adapted from short stories by folks like Arthur C. Clarke, Harlan Ellison, Stephen King, Robert R. McCammon, Ray Bradbury, Theodore Sturgeon, Greg Bear, Richard Matheson, and others, not to mention behind-the-camera talent like Wes Craven. I think it made everyone working on it really up their game.

brayzie 05-30-20 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 13749977)

One thing I think it really had going in its favor is that the stories were frequently adapted from short stories by folks like Arthur C. Clarke, Harlan Ellison, Stephen King, Robert R. McCammon, Ray Bradbury, Theodore Sturgeon, Greg Bear, Richard Matheson, and others, not to mention behind-the-camera talent like Wes Craven. I think it made everyone working on it really up their game.

That's a good point. Even Tales from the Darkside adapted Stephen King short stories and they were amazing. At least the one I saw.

Since the short story market isn't exactly booming do they just hire writers to create brand new stories? Or are some these new TZ episodes adapted from shot story fiction?

Michael Corvin 05-31-20 10:30 PM

It would be cool if they could rope in filmmakers. You'd think most of them have some concepts floating around that will never work as a full length feature that they could adapt into a single tv episode.

brayzie 06-01-20 01:46 AM

Do we really need a new Twilight Zone? Maybe CBS should just let it die. The original was incredible except for that time when it was an hour long and they started shooting it differently.

So far it sounds like CBS has struck out twice with the last two TZ remakes. I think I'll stick with the radio dramas for now. "Long Live Walter Jameson" was actually better than the original TV version. And the new story "The Walk Abouts" was pretty decent.

jpcamb 06-01-20 10:34 AM

Two episodes and done for me with this one. No real appeal as its a paid version of a mediocre reboot. :( will be canceling the streaming service very soon as so far its mainly duds and Discovery. :(

Mike86 06-01-20 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 13749977)

Another thing I liked about the 80s version is it usually wasn’t a single story per episode. It was usually two or three segments. That made the hour runtime work better. I think that’s part of the problem with the new one. Not all the stories are worth an entire hour episode.

Josh-da-man 06-01-20 01:03 PM

Yeah, being able to fit in longer and shorter stories was a great move. Some stories, like "Examination Day" or "A Small Talent for War" didn't need a full hour to get their point across. Others, like "A Profile in Silver," or "Her Pilgrim Soul" worked well as longer stories.

TheBang 06-01-20 06:38 PM

June 25 is when all of Season 2 will be available.

Michael Corvin 06-01-20 10:32 PM

Watched Six Degrees of Freedom last night about the mission to Mars amidst a nuclear war. Great concept and great execution(felt like a movie) that falls apart with the twist. It was also too long. That could have easily been done in :30 minutes.

Mr. Flix 07-06-20 03:42 PM

I don't get CBS All Access but the first episode of the second season ("Meet in the Middle") was briefly available to watch for free, so I watched it for free. I want my money back.

dex14 02-24-21 07:49 PM

Cancelled: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...P8cyFzdu8D6pf8

DJariya 02-25-21 02:09 PM

https://deadline.com/2021/02/the-twi...ss-1234700684/

Jordan Peele and Simon Kinberg issued a statement today and claimed it was their decision to end the show.

RichC2 02-25-21 03:44 PM

Those were the stories they wanted to tell? yikes.

PhantomStranger 02-25-21 07:23 PM

Usually how it works is the studio likely offered them a lowball figure to renew the series and Peele walked away when the money didn't meet his standards.

GoldenJCJ 02-25-21 07:57 PM

They were probably offering Xmus Jaxon Flaxon-Waxon money when he was hoping for Jackmerius Tacktheratrix kind of money.

philo 02-25-21 09:08 PM

I could never take Jordan seriously in the Serling role and aside from that amusing riff on "To Serve Man" I found the series uninspired and forgettable.

Gizmo 02-25-21 09:34 PM

And nothing good was lost.

Terrible show.

JeffTheAlpaca 01-19-23 12:33 AM

It is now airing on SyFy on Wed Nights

Not sure how much they edit out with commercials

A Small Town with Damon Wayans Jr. and David Krumholtz from season 2 was not a bad episode.