Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

S.W.A.T. (CBS) -- S: Shemar Moore -- From EP Shawn Ryan -- Premieres 11/2/17

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

S.W.A.T. (CBS) -- S: Shemar Moore -- From EP Shawn Ryan -- Premieres 11/2/17

Old 10-12-22, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Re: S.W.A.T. (CBS) -- S: Shemar Moore -- From EP Shawn Ryan -- Premieres 11/2/17

Originally Posted by Noonan
Is the actress who plays the medic/new SWAT member going to be a regular as well? I'd imagine yes since she was already in a bunch of episodes last season.

Unknown. She’s still just a recurring guest star. She last appeared in season 5, episode 19 and has appeared in 7 episodes.
Old 05-05-23, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: S.W.A.T. (CBS) -- S: Shemar Moore -- From EP Shawn Ryan -- Premieres 11/2/17

Cancelled due to financial reasons. Moving to a new network is not feasible. It was a good run.

RIP SWAT. 2017 to 2023

Old 05-05-23, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk God

This Deadline article explains why. It was all about money. Sony would not budge on reduced licensing costs nor an episode cut. It would compromise the quality of the show. So CBS bailed. This was kind of similar to why Magnum PI got the axe. SWAT hasn’t aired a finale with a cliffhanger, so I think we should be fine. But sucks we don’t get a true send off.

Old 05-05-23, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

That sucks. We still watch and enjoy. At least Shemar can go back to Criminal Minds now.
Old 05-06-23, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 362 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
That sucks. We still watch and enjoy. At least Shemar can go back to Criminal Minds now.
One of my favorite shows. Personally they should of canceled Fire Country.
Old 05-06-23, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by kahuna
One of my favorite shows. Personally they should of canceled Fire Country.
Fire Country is entirely owned by CBS and is a new and cheaper series. And I believe it’s done well and got renewed.

S.W.A.T. is co-owned by Sony and they own the production rights. CBS doesn’t seem willing to pay what a 7th season show would cost, so they bailed. Sony doesn’t want to sacrifice quality for a low ball offer. Doesn’t matter about your personal taste, this was all about money and cutthroat negotiations.

Last edited by DJariya; 05-06-23 at 03:53 AM.
Old 05-06-23, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk God

Shemar Moore just posted an Instagram video and addresses the cancelation. He's pretty upset. The video is a little long. He hopes there can be a way for the show to continue on.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cr5On...c4MTIwNjQ2YQ==

Last edited by DJariya; 05-06-23 at 03:51 AM.
Old 05-08-23, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 905 Likes on 667 Posts

What does Sony own, exactly? I know this would never happen but it seems like it would be easy enough to remove anything that ties is to the movies SWAT. Change the name to LAPD Elite or some shit, change the theme song, and the name of a couple characters. Same show, no ties to the Sony owned series.
Old 05-08-23, 10:46 AM

Received 111 Likes on 86 Posts

Did we every find out why Kenny Johnson was basically written out of the show for so damn long?
Old 05-08-23, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 905 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by HeIsTheZissou
Did we every find out why Kenny Johnson was basically written out of the show for so damn long?
He was in the middle of a law suit with Sony over an on set injury.
Old 05-08-23, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Noonan
What does Sony own, exactly? I know this would never happen but it seems like it would be easy enough to remove anything that ties is to the movies SWAT. Change the name to LAPD Elite or some shit, change the theme song, and the name of a couple characters. Same show, no ties to the Sony owned series.
They own the SWAT name and all the characters. Hondo, Street are all Sony characters because they were in the movie and the 70s TV show.

CBS is basically a co-producer of the show, but they don’t own the IP.
Old 05-08-23, 05:14 PM

Received 4,557 Likes on 3,092 Posts

EXCLUSIVE: S.W.A.T. may be down but not out. The drama, which was canceled on Friday after six seasons, could come back for a seventh season on CBS, sources tell Deadline.

I hear renewal conversations between CBS and S.W.A.T. lead studio Sony Pictures Television restarted on Friday, soon after the series starring Shemar Moore was officially canceled, with the news facing immediate backlash from fans who rallied behind the popular show.

Talks have continued over the weekend into Monday. The situation is still tenuous but there have been positive signs, I hear. Resolution is expected by end of day; CBS is slated to unveil its fall schedule Wednesday, May 10. If an agreement is made, I hear it would be for a 13-episode seventh season of S.W.A.T. Reps for CBS and Sony TV declined comment.

Intentionally — on not — Moore hinted at a potential reversal in his emotional reaction to the cancellation on Instagram Friday night.

“Its all about money, y’all. They said we’re canceled, but guess what I don’t think we’re done,” he said in a video message to fans. “CBS is either gonna wake up and realize they made a mistake. Sony is gonna do their math and realize that this is not the right move. I hope we can have a kumbaya and come back together and continue this show because it’s a good time for families across the world.”

While a S.W.A.T. cancellation reversal would be a cause of celebration for fans of the long-running procedural, whose demise was a business decision, it may not be good news for freshman cop drama East New York, starring Amanda Warren.

Renewal negotiations between CBS and East New York lead studio Warner Bros. TV also have been bumpy — in addition to financial issues they also have included a squabble over additional streaming rights CBS requested for the series. Negotiations have progressed and are ongoing but I hear that S.W.A.T. and East New York may be competing for one slot. Both are rare broadcast dramas with Black leads.

Canceled series finding new homes is more common; a network reversing its cancellation decision is rare. Coincidentally — or not — three previous cases involved Sony TV series, Timeless on NBC (co-created/executive produced by S.W.A.T. exec producer/showrunner Shawn Ryan), Drop Dead Diva on Lifetime and Breaking In on Fox.

As Deadline reported on Friday, Sony was not willing to take another S.W.A.T. renewal at a flat license fee as that would compromise the show’s financial model. CBS eventually went up on the license fee but the offer came with a cut of the order, which would’ve pushed up the per-episode budget even higher and further hurt the show’s economics.

That part is now being sorted out, as I hear production executives on both sides feel that not all avenues had been explored to make a renewal work.

S.W.A.T. has been enjoying a ratings resurgence. Following its move to Fridays, the law enforcement drama has flourished, posting rare double-digit linear viewership increase year-to-year. A strong 8 PM anchor, S.W.A.T. has contributed to reinvigorating CBS’ Friday drama lineup and helped launch new breakout hit Fire Country.

Part 2 of the sixth season finale of S.W.A.T. airs Friday, May 19, on CBS.
https://deadline.com/2023/05/swat-un...ed-1235359598/
Old 05-08-23, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Perfect. Keep it going 13 and that will allow Shemar to do a CM guest spot or two.
Old 05-08-23, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Perfect. Keep it going 13 and that will allow Shemar to do a CM guest spot or two.
The weird thing about that is that Rochelle Aytes plays his girlfriend in both shows.
Old 05-08-23, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk God

I know it's not official yet, but I'm glad they're trying to get it at least one more season. If they get it, I think they should plan for it to be the final season, so we can at least have closure with these characters.

Moore's IG post must have ruffled some feathers.
Old 05-08-23, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Now official. Renewed for a 7th and final season. Whenever the writer's strike ends of course.

https://deadline.com/2023/05/swat-un...73e828aa12daf1

“We have listened to our viewers and their outpouring of passion for S.W.A.T. and we have reached an agreement to renew it for a final season of 13 episodes to air during the 2023-2024 broadcast year,” Amy Reisenbach, President, CBS Entertainment, and Katherine Pope, President, Sony Pictures Television Studios, said in a joint statement. “S.W.A.T. has aired for six seasons on CBS and garnered a devoted following. We are pleased that we found a way to bring it back and give closure to the show’s storylines and characters, which audiences deserve. Once again, we appreciate the talents and efforts of the cast, writers, producers and crew and everyone who has contributed to the success of S.W.A.T. We look forward to its return next season.”

Last edited by DJariya; 05-08-23 at 06:24 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by DJariya:
darkdaze73 (05-09-23), Deftones (05-08-23), kahuna (02-18-24)
Old 05-15-23, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Seasons 1 through 5 will be on Netflix starting Wednesday. Season 6, which finishes on Friday will be available in the Fall. Season 6 in its entirety is also on Paramount plus, but will be dropped once season 7 starts airing.

If you’re looking for a fun weekly action show and have time this summer, I think it’s worth watching. Been a fan since it premiered.
Old 09-27-23, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk God

I had about 6-7 episodes left to finish from season 6 and finished them all up in the last week once it dropped on Netflix.

Overall, I liked the season and I'm glad it's getting one last hurrah.

I noticed they were rotating the female team member between Powell and Cabrera this season, but Powell seemed to be getting more air time. I have a feeling she will probably be featured more in the final season. Especially after she bonded with a few team members about revealing she had a kid when she was a teenager. Fowler (the medic) just seemed to disappear.

I'm pretty sure Hondo and Nichelle's eventual wedding will likely be in the series finale.

and it was good to see Timothy Hutton back in the last 2 episodes. He kind of got a raw deal with that assault allegation that nearly got him canceled.
Old 01-26-24, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk God

Anna Enger Ritch, who plays Zoe, got promoted to series regular for the final season. I noticed they were rotating between her and Brigitte Kali Canales, who played Cabrera, for the female team member after Kris left.

Old 02-10-24, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk God

It sounds like Kenny Johnson/Luca is wrapped for the final season. This reads like a final goodbye.

Old 02-17-24, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Wow, Kenny Johnson isn’t in the opening credits anymore and there are no shots of Luca. He must have gotten reduced to guest star because of the budget cuts to get season 7.

Cool that this premiere was filmed in Mexico.

Last edited by DJariya; 02-17-24 at 03:10 PM.
Old 02-17-24, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk God

And Alex Russell wasn’t in the opening credits too. I have to imagine he’ll be included when they go back to Los Angeles.

Didn’t expect that twist at the end.
Old 02-20-24, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by DJariya

Didn’t expect that twist at the end.
Pretty sure that character isn't dead. Got promoted to a series regular and is in the credits now.
Old 02-20-24, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Pretty sure that character isn't dead. Got promoted to a series regular and is in the credits now.
Yeah i know she isn't dead. I meant who the extra bad guy turned out to be.
Old 02-20-24, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by DJariya
Yeah i know she isn't dead. I meant who the extra bad guy turned out to be.
Funny. My wife and I both said that guy is gonna turn into the bad guy almost immediately.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.