Reload this Page >

The Walking Dead (S8E01) -- Season Premiere -- "Mercy" -- 10/22/17

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Walking Dead (S8E01) -- Season Premiere -- "Mercy" -- 10/22/17

Old 10-23-17, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,663 Likes on 1,220 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead (S8E01) -- Season Premiere -- "Mercy" -- 10/22/17

BTW, if anyone's DVR recorded the 135 minute "The Journey So Far" documentary that aired earlier today, it's the exact same documentary that aired back in October 2016 prior to season 7.

They just added a 15 minute epilogue to summarize the events of season 7.

YMMV if you have the time or feel this is worthwhile viewing.
Old 10-23-17, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was kind of lackluster start to the new season.

The dream/delusion sequences were strange and really did not seem to make much sense.

No idea why they waited when they could have easily mowed down Negan as a group.

Not sure what the point of shooting out the windows was. Maybe so in a few months when it rains the enemy gets rained on thru the broken windows?

I sure hope it gets better than this.
Old 10-23-17, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk God

https://www.shopthewalkingdead.com/p...nt=46407743826

You can buy Negan's shittin pants for real.

$19.95
Old 10-23-17, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk God

For those who didn't watch the 2 hour Talking Dead. It was essentially a cast reunion of most of the principal actors from the show's run, including a few of the now dead ones.

Kirkman said the crossover episode will happen in 2018 and will either be part of the 2nd half of season 4 of Fear the Walking Dead or during the 1st half of season 9 of the main show.
Old 10-23-17, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 163 Likes on 128 Posts

I liked the premiere. Just what I wanted, more shooting and less talking.
Old 10-23-17, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by MLBFan24 View Post
I liked the premiere. Just what I wanted, more shooting and less talking.
Maybe next episode they will take the next step and shoot *at* someone.

Thousands and thousands of rounds expended at close range and I don’t believe a single person was actually hit in the entire episode. At the end there were nine people emptying magazines on full auto at an individual a dozen yards away who managed to still duck behind a car and eventually toss a grenade back at them all without taking so much as a scratch.

But yes, the inability to take out Negan (and all of his senior men) or even make more than a passing attempt was the most glaring WTF of all. I’m not sure Negan and the boys were even armed let alone behind any sort of cover. They just stood there in the wide open yakkity-yakking. Why on earth would they do that? But no worries because no one in Rick’s entire group thought of drawing a bead on any one of them. I get that this is episode 100, but it’s not like episode 99 never happened. It was just so unbelievably strange.

I suppose the show wanted to kick off the new season with a big confrontation but wanted to leave plenty of breathing room for 15 episodes of escalation by having virtually zero consequences result from it. Oooh...Father Gabriel is trapped with Negan, to which I say “Who cares?” For being such a bastard make Negan take Tara and Rosita too. That’ll learn him. Point being that it doesn't seem like it would have been all that difficult to create a situation that accomplished the same results without requiring the characters actions or lack thereof to be inexplicable to the point of distraction.

Most of the rest of the episode was decent, though all the speeches grew tiresome. And the flash-forwards will probably mean something eventually, but they added nothing of value to this episode. And they will probably be all but forgotten by the time the payoff comes in a few months.
Old 10-23-17, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

The episode started off pretty good as it built up and built up, and again....no payoff. Nothing, as the battle with Negan goes on and the show continues in Neutral. I haven't read any spoilers but I assume they will string out the Negan battle the whole season.

At this point Rick just needs to go all William Wallace, "FREEEEEDDDDOOOOOMMMMMM!!!!"

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
For those who didn't watch the 2 hour Talking Dead. It was essentially a cast reunion of most of the principal actors from the show's run, including a few of the now dead ones.

I used to watch Talking Dead after every episode, as you had a combination of Hardwick ass kissing, and good substantive conversation with the guests, but now it's 99% Hardwick ass kissing and is unwatchable.
Old 10-23-17, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post

It's not the same with TWD. Strip away the characters in Walking Dead and you're left with, well-nothing. It's not like there's going to be some revolutionary way to kill walkers that's suddenly going to advance the plot. The writers have clearly given up on the characters seeking something greater than simple survival. There is no bigger picture(scientists working on a cure, a government/military stronghold, no word out of City Z that things are getting better, etc.) to advance the world. There are no layers to the show. Once you kill off some of the better characters and make a couple more idiots (see video above), you have a show just going through the motions.
That's basically true of all episodic television. The audience becomes attached to the characters, not the story. It's the mentality of "the worst Star Trek:TNG is better than the best Star Trek: Voyager". People hate episodes devoted to a minor character but not episodes devoted entirely to Rick or Daryl.
Nobody gives a shit what happens at the MASH 4078 unit, they want to see what's going on at the 4077th.

Noticed this premiere featured every character. I'm sure all the actor's have specific contracts, it's my understanding that SAG rules require an actor to paid for every episode between the first they appear in and the last, whether they are in them or not. Wonder if all characters will be in all episodes this season.
Old 10-23-17, 07:21 AM

Received 2,612 Likes on 1,792 Posts

I don't know how or why anyone watches Talking Dead.
Old 10-23-17, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
I used to watch it back when I was really into the show. But my enthusiasm died a few seasons back. One of the last episodes I cared about is when they first met the two gay characters. And I haven't watched this past two seasons (though I'll catch up on Netflix sometime).
Old 10-23-17, 07:25 AM
Admin

Received 345 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
Did you see Christian Serratos (Rosita)? Enough said.

Yeah, I only watched a few min of a TWO HOUR Talking Dead. Shit, the cow's utters are bruised and sore from all that AMC milking.
Old 10-23-17, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 85 Posts

"I hope you brought your shitting pants on....because you're about to shit in your pants"

That was probably some of the worst dialogue Gimple has ever written. And he's the showrunner. How the hell did anyone think that was amusing dialogue?
You can blame Kirkman for that one, itís in the comic.
Old 10-23-17, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It was a decent season premiere but definitely nothing great. Regarding Old Man Rick, I just hope they don't do a "flash sideways" alternate timeline kind of thing akin to what Lost did in the later seasons.
Old 10-23-17, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandit03 View Post
Regarding Old Man Rick, .
For a second, I thought they were going to kill Rick last night as that was a foreshadowing it. Usually, they like to make a splash to get everyone talking on the Season Premiere of shows like this, but obviously Rick is the star of the show.

The only reason I thought that he might die is that Lauran Cohan(Maggie) was the only one on the Late Night/Daytime Talk Show circuit promoting the show in the past few weeks, as there was very little buzz regarding the new season. I thought that if Rick died, she would eventually become the star of the show.
Old 10-23-17, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Four timelines in this episode.

1. Rick crying over the two graves. (I'm guessing this is during or near the end of the war with Negan.
2. Rick and Carl looting the cars. (Either during the war or after)
3. Distant Future. (Rick, Michonne, Judith and Carl survive.)
4. Current timeline.
Old 10-23-17, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DthRdrX View Post
Four timelines in this episode.

1. Rick crying over the two graves. (I'm guessing this is during or near the end of the war with Negan.
The way they cut that was weird. I don't think he was crying over their (whoever they are) graves. The scenes with red-eyed crying Rick had him kneeling beneath a piece of stained glass. The scenes with him over the graves didn't have any stained glass in the scene. My thoughts are the crying scenes are directly after the war with Negan? Maybe a couple other people die and that's who's buried?
Old 10-23-17, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bandit03 View Post
The way they cut that was weird. I don't think he was crying over their (whoever they are) graves. The scenes with red-eyed crying Rick had him kneeling beneath a piece of stained glass. The scenes with him over the graves didn't have any stained glass in the scene. My thoughts are the crying scenes are directly after the war with Negan? Maybe a couple other people die and that's who's buried?
I got the sense they were in a similar location. Outside a church perhaps?

I thought the same thing about the editing last night while watching. The editing of the opening sequence was very poor.
Old 10-23-17, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 332 Likes on 234 Posts

Yea, I get they weren't going to kill Negan in the first episode of the season... but if you're going to put him in a position that would make it extremely easy and logical for Rick and the gang to kill him - then it has to be done.

"I hope you brought your shitting pants on....because you're about to shit in your pants"

It's bad when he has to explain the "joke" that doesn't need explaining. Makes it worse when he has to say the first part twice because Gabriel didn't hear it - drawing out the "joke" even longer than it needed.

Well at least this isn't "Fear the Walking Dead". Anyone here still watching that shit-fest?
Old 10-23-17, 11:31 AM

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral View Post

Well at least this isn't "Fear the Walking Dead". Anyone here still watching that shit-fest?
I made it into the second season of Fear and then gave up. Watched an episode earlier this year out of disgust with how season 7 of Walking Dead ended. I realized that it still had a long way to go before it sunk to the level of crap that is Fear the Walking Dead.
Old 10-23-17, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

btw, rick has to be the worst shooter ever.
Old 10-23-17, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by funkyryno View Post
I made it into the second season of Fear and then gave up. Watched an episode earlier this year out of disgust with how season 7 of Walking Dead ended. I realized that it still had a long way to go before it sunk to the level of crap that is Fear the Walking Dead.
I disagree. I have only watched the first two seasons of FTWD but find it much better than the main show, primarily because it doesn't come from the comic and the setting is a welcome change of pace.

One difference in my viewing though. I binge FTWD when the Blu-rays come out, while watching TWD week to week live. Binge watching is probably the way to go with both series.
Old 10-23-17, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 404 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
Yea, I get they weren't going to kill Negan in the first episode of the season... but if you're going to put him in a position that would make it extremely easy and logical for Rick and the gang to kill him - then it has to be done.
Exactly. Putting him in that position, and then not killing him is just terrible writing, and makes all the characters on Rick's side look like complete imbeciles.

Thankfully dropped it after the mid season break.

I think I'm only still watching TWD because I watch it with my wife. It's very frustrating, though. I was hoping Gabriel and Gregory would both be walker food, for stupidity and scumbaggery, respectively.
Old 10-23-17, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That scene where Gabriel runs out of the car, watches Gregory get up, run to the car, and leave him there was like watching something out of a Looney Toons cartoon.
Old 10-23-17, 01:01 PM

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX View Post
That scene where Gabriel runs out of the car, watches Gregory get up, run to the car, and leave him there was like watching something out of a Looney Toons cartoon.
You could say that about a lot of the recent action sequences.
Old 10-23-17, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 548 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
Exactly. Putting him in that position, and then not killing him is just terrible writing, and makes all the characters on Rick's side look like complete imbeciles.
It seems liked an Austin Powers movie. Instead of just shooting him let's do the unnecessarily slow-moving dipping mechanism approach to ensure his escape.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.