Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (Amazon) -- C: Sherman-Palladino; S: Brosnahan

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 10-16-17, 11:52 AM

Received 2,034 Likes on 1,403 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fOmwkTrW4OQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

From the Creator of Gilmore Girls, 'The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel' tells the story of Miriam “Midge” Maisel a woman who has everything she’s ever wanted—the perfect husband, two kids, and an elegant Upper West Side apartment. But her perfect life suddenly takes an unexpected turn and Midge discovers a previously unknown talent—one that changes her life forever.

About The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel:

In 1958 New York, Midge Maisel’s life is on track– husband, kids, and elegant Yom Kippur dinners in their Upper West Side apartment. But when her life takes a surprise turn, she has to quickly decide what else she’s good at – and going from housewife to stand-up comic is a wild choice to everyone but her. The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is written and directed by Amy Sherman-Palladino (Gilmore Girls).
Old 10-16-17, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,376 Likes on 1,540 Posts
Re: The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (Amazon) -- C: Sherman-Palladino; S: Brosnahan

In 1958 New York, Midge Maisel’s life is on track– husband, kids, and elegant Yom Kippur dinners in their Upper West Side apartment.
You fast for Yom Kippur. There is no such thing as an elegant Yom Kippur dinner. You can have an elegant dinner to break the fast once Yom Kippur is over. If you want to appeal to the Jewish viewership, you should get the basics right.
Old 10-16-17, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 324 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
You fast for Yom Kippur. There is no such thing as an elegant Yom Kippur dinner. You can have an elegant dinner to break the fast once Yom Kippur is over. If you want to appeal to the Jewish viewership, you should get the basics right.
The creator of the show is Jewish so I assume this is just a poorly written description.
Old 11-29-17, 09:45 AM

Up on Amazon now.
Old 11-29-17, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 532 Likes on 378 Posts

Old 11-29-17, 11:03 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

the Pilot was fantastic, look forward to watching this one, had that early gilmore girls quick firing wit and dialogue, ASP is back in fine form, at least in the pilot and the reviews have been stellar.
Old 11-29-17, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 216 Likes on 168 Posts

I just watched the pilot and they cast the lead perfectly.
Spoiler:
I didn't think she'd go topless in the first episode.
Old 11-29-17, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think they're taking notice from GLOW on that one.

I really enjoyed the first episode and its sharp wit. I mean, I could never get in to Gilmore girls because I felt the dialogue didn't match the characters, but the with matched the characters well here.
Old 11-30-17, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Watched the first episode because of this thread and absolutely loved it. I'm 3 in now and still feel the same way. I like how they get the tits out of the way in the first episode. Even typing this I'm antsy to get home and watch episode 4.
Old 12-04-17, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm six episodes in and I'm loving this. I think it's the Palladinos' best series. I think it's better than Gilmore Girls. Their writing/dialogue style works even better in a period piece.

Last edited by lwhy?; 12-04-17 at 07:57 PM.
Old 12-04-17, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

I got to episode 7 thinking it was a 10 episode season only to see that 8 was the finale. I got depressed.
Old 12-05-17, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

We watched the pilot back when it was on pilot season. I don’t recall being wowed by it or the fact it was picked up. It was better than the Last Tycoon at least. With so much out there I doubt we’ll watch, but glad you all are enjoying.
Old 12-07-17, 12:14 AM

I'm two episodes in so far. I mostly like it. They get a lot of stuff from the period and culture right...

BUT
... I have a big problem with the casting of Tony Shalhoub as the father. He's a fine (if over-used) TV actor. But he's far from right ethnically. He's Lebanese and he looks Lebanese. Yes there are Safardic Jews who look like Arabs, but they're not living on the upper West side, they're not named Abe Weissman and they're not fathering a JAP like Rachel Brosnahan. It would be like casting Aziz Ansari as the lead in Blackish. Kevin Pollock is fine and totally right as Joel's dad -- I don't know how somebody didn't pull the producer aside and say "We can't cast Shalhoub in this part". It's not like there's a dearth of middle-aged Jewish actors. It's a very weird casting choice.

Anyway, I will keep watching and will try to have an open mind. Liking it overall so far.
Old 12-07-17, 12:15 AM

I'm glad I don't care about nonsense like that.
Old 12-07-17, 12:21 AM

Would you care if a dark-skinned Pakistani was cast as the patriarch of a black family in a TV show about the Black experience in America? I'd find that insulting and I bet there would be a public outcry.

I don't think that's "nonsense".
Old 12-09-17, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I finished this last night and I loved it. It will be a very long wait until season 2. It's tied with Red Oaks as my favorite show on Amazon Prime.
Old 12-14-17, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

I started watching this today, 2 episodes in and i'm enjoying it a lot.
Old 12-18-17, 09:00 PM

Finished it up and now I'll have to edit my top ten of the year because I loved it.
Old 12-21-17, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I finished watching this last night, really loved it. Rachel Brosnahan is just so fun to watch in this, I hope she wins the Golden Globe. I also really enjoyed watching Alex Borstein throughout as well.
Old 12-25-17, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Fantastic show. Binged the whole thing this weekend and I loved it. And I seriously want to see Shalhoub and Pollack do a production of the Odd Couple, or Waiting for Godot, or pretty much anything where the two of them can share a stage or screen for a few hours.

Also, my family is Ashkenazi and Shalhoub would fit right in — I don’t think the casting was a stretch at all.
Old 12-28-17, 07:40 PM

I'm two episodes in so far. I mostly like it. They get a lot of stuff from the period and culture right...

BUT
... I have a big problem with the casting of Tony Shalhoub as the father. He's a fine (if over-used) TV actor. But he's far from right ethnically. He's Lebanese and he looks Lebanese. Yes there are Safardic Jews who look like Arabs, but they're not living on the upper West side, they're not named Abe Weissman and they're not fathering a JAP like Rachel Brosnahan. It would be like casting Aziz Ansari as the lead in Blackish. Kevin Pollock is fine and totally right as Joel's dad -- I don't know how somebody didn't pull the producer aside and say "We can't cast Shalhoub in this part". It's not like there's a dearth of middle-aged Jewish actors. It's a very weird casting choice.

Anyway, I will keep watching and will try to have an open mind. Liking it overall so far.
There are certain actors who can pass for many ethnicities. Shaloub is one of them. Should I get bent out of shape because he played an Italian in Big Night?

Did you take offense to De Niro in Once Upon a Time in America. You must’ve really hated Munich.

The show is great and Brosnahan is fantastic in this.

Last edited by dex14; 12-28-17 at 07:48 PM.
Old 12-28-17, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
There are certain actors who can pass for many ethnicities. Shaloub is one of them. Should I get bent out of shape because he played an Italian in Big Night?

Did you take offense to De Niro in Once Upon a Time in America. You must’ve really hated Munich.
No, DeNiro and Bana looked fine, they looked the part. Shaloub doesn't

I'm not saying only Jews should play Jewish parts. Hell, I don't even know if Brosnahan is Jewish, but she looks the part.

Would you be making the same argument if Brie Larson or Gwyneth Paltrow was cast as Midge? I remember everybody losing their shit over Emma Stone being cast as a half-Asian woman who nobody realized was half-Asian in "Aloha". I think this is like that.
Old 12-28-17, 08:34 PM

BTW : I'm six episodes in and I really like the show.
Old 12-28-17, 08:37 PM

No, DeNiro and Bana looked fine, they looked the part. Shaloub doesn't

I'm not saying only Jews should play Jewish parts. Hell, I don't even know if Brosnahan is Jewish, but she looks the part.

Would you be making the same argument if Brie Larson or Gwyneth Paltrow was cast as Midge? I remember everybody losing their shit over Emma Stone being cast as a half-Asian woman who nobody realized was half-Asian in "Aloha". I think this is like that.
Idk... if someone told me Shaloub was Jewish, I wouldn’t think anything of it or question it. I wouldn’t equate the Emma Stone example (which was ridiculous and poor casting) to this.
Old 12-28-17, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I can see the issue, although I guess it depends on the background of the individual. I'm asian, so it was weird to me to have the Korean Randall Park play a Chinese father on Fresh Off the Boat, even if he has been really funny in the role.

I wouldn't be able to tell the background of Shaloub, so I wouldn't even have known or noticed.

Also, this show really deserves more love on this forum.

Last edited by fumanstan; 12-28-17 at 10:23 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.