Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Dish Removes HBO & Cinemax Channels After Impasse

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-18, 12:53 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts
Dish Removes HBO & Cinemax Channels After Impasse

I came back from a business travel to this crap. Also, Univsion and Dish got into it earlier this year and Dish removed their channels too.

Why millions of Dish Network’s customers have been cut off from HBO

By Brian Fung
November 9
The business dispute that yanked HBO off the air for millions of Americans on Nov. 1 is entering its second week — with no signs of a respite.

As many as 2.5 million customers have lost access to hit HBO shows such as “Game of Thrones” and “Westworld” through Dish Network, America’s second-largest satellite TV provider.

The blackout affects an additional 10.2 million Dish subscribers who aren’t signed up for HBO but who could be potential customers of the premium entertainment channel.

It’s the first time HBO has ever “gone dark,” in the parlance of TV execs. Viewers are being caught in the middle, with potential consequences on both sides: An extended outage could lead to significant customer losses.

The standoff between Dish and HBO stems from a seemingly run-of-the-mill contract negotiation over whether Dish should pay HBO for a guaranteed number of customers, whether those subscribers materialize or not.

But it also takes place against the backdrop of a historic Justice Department effort to scrutinize the increasingly concentrated media industry and to unwind the merger that gave control of HBO to one of the nation’s biggest telecom companies: AT&T.

[6 ways the AT&T merger could affect you]

The impasse carries enormous stakes that reflect the dire condition of the legacy television business. What began as a trickle of consumers toward digital TV alternatives, such as Netflix and Hulu, has turned into a torrent, with analysts such as eMarketer predicting that 33 million Americans will have given up their pay-TV subscriptions by the end of the year. With both Dish and AT&T reporting even-steeper-than-expected declines in their traditional TV subscriber base in recent months, the pressure to retain customers is intense, analysts say.

“The rate of decline in the core satellite TV segment has sharply accelerated,” Craig Moffett, an analyst at MoffettNathanson, wrote in a research note this week. “They have argued that retaining their best customers is now their priority.”

Channel blackouts are commonly regarded as a game of chicken in the TV industry, with participants on each side hoping the other will blink first. Dish’s chairman, Charlie Ergen, is widely known as a combative opponent in negotiations who has frequently allowed channels to go dark rather than agree to deals he doesn’t like. Dish has previously gone dark with Univision, Sinclair, Fox, Viacom and AMC, according to Moffett. Ergen has said in the past that “real” negotiations do not begin until a blackout occurs.

In a sign of how acrimonious the feud has become, Dish has accused AT&T of weaponizing HBO in a bid to lure its customers away to AT&T’s DirecTV, its chief rival. AT&T denies any interference in HBO’s contract negotiations. And it alleges Dish has secretly “collaborated” with the Justice Department to tarnish the telecom giant’s name, in the wake of the government’s failed attempt to block AT&T’s purchase of Time Warner, now renamed WarnerMedia.

“This is purely an anticompetitive play that we tried to warn about,” Ergen said during an investor conference call Wednesday. “AT&T knows full well that for many of our customers the only place they can go is to DirecTV, and they own HBO and they own DIRECTV,” Ergen added. “So they’re willing to make that trade-off.”

Although some Dish customers may be able to sign up for HBO’s stand-alone digital app, HBO Now, many live in rural areas without high-speed Internet access, effectively taking that option off the table, Ergen said.

The Justice Department declined to comment on AT&T’s accusations of collaboration. But a person familiar with the agency’s thinking called the idea “untrue” and “laughable,” speaking on the condition of anonymity in light of the government’s pending appeal in the case that allowed AT&T to purchase Time Warner.

[The ravages of cord-cutting: AT&T's race against time to save its TV business]

Keith Cocozza, a spokesman for WarnerMedia, HBO’s parent, said Dish bears the blame for causing the blackout by refusing to deal.

“HBO offered to extend talks while they negotiated towards an agreement. Dish walked away,” Cocozza said. “HBO continues to deliver its signal to Dish and [is] willing to negotiate.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/techn...=.a202626f0c62

I'm going to call them and see what are they going to do as I've been a customer for over 13 years now. But this shit needs to stop, as Dish and other providers don't automatically lower their prices on the monthly bill or make adjustments when they get into these disputes.
Old 11-11-18, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Re: Dish Removes HBO & Cinemax Channels After Impasse

Fortunately for HBO subs on Dish, none of their big shows are airing right now, so you aren't missing much. Still sucks ass.
Old 11-11-18, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
Fortunately for HBO subs on Dish, none of their big shows are airing right now, so you aren't missing much. Still sucks ass.
Yeah this made me laugh:
As many as 2.5 million customers have lost access to hit HBO shows such as “Game of Thrones” and “Westworld” through Dish Network
They choose to name two shows that won't be on the air for maybe a year.
Old 11-12-18, 05:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

All episodes of all HBO shows are available to watch anytime to subscribers. They have lost access to that. Sucks if you wanted to binge Deadwood over the weekend. Or if you are a newer subscriber and in the middle of watching the entire Game of Thrones for first time.
Old 11-12-18, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

That was going to be my question. Did they take away access to HBOGO as well? If so that sucks hard.
Old 11-12-18, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Hard to tell who’s being the bigger shithead here, but I’ll guess its Dish since they seem to be the company that blacks out the most often and longest during carriage disputes.

First I’ve heard of this. Seems pretty amazing that they’re in a pissing contest with a premium channel that their subscribers pay directly for.
Old 11-12-18, 07:33 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Yup, I think we're in week 2 or week 3 of this now. Access to HBO Go went away which sucks because I was in the middle of catching up on Succession and Sharp Objects.

As consolation, we're given HDNet Movies during the blackout.

Last edited by Geofferson; 11-12-18 at 08:33 AM.
Old 11-12-18, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Hard to tell who’s being the bigger shithead here, but I’ll guess its Dish since they seem to be the company that blacks out the most often and longest during carriage disputes.

First I’ve heard of this. Seems pretty amazing that they’re in a pissing contest with a premium channel that their subscribers pay directly for.
If I understand the article posted that's not the issue. It's not you subscribe and Dish passes your money along. HBO is wanting Dish to pay for X number of subscriptions whether they have that many subscribers or not. Then if they go over X number they pay that too. I can see where Dish would balk at that as they can't guarantee the number. I'm pretty sure the numbers spike when GOT and Dead are on and then drop off after. HBO is looking for a constant cash stream without providing constant top shows.
Old 11-12-18, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Why don't these issues arise with cable? I've had Comcast since 1984 and there's never been any kind of blackout.
Old 11-12-18, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

yeah, how does this work? Usually the blackout channels are part of a larger package so it's less obvious. But when you pay directly for a channel you're not getting, do they issue a refund? Or just stop charging on your billing cycle?
Old 11-12-18, 09:44 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddie W
yeah, how does this work? Usually the blackout channels are part of a larger package so it's less obvious. But when you pay directly for a channel you're not getting, do they issue a refund? Or just stop charging on your billing cycle?
In this case, they stopped charging for HBO since it's stand-alone.

However, there have been instances in the past where, say, AMC was blacked out. Since it was part of a package, there was no credit or price reduction in that instance.
Old 07-21-19, 07:36 PM
Banned

It seems that HBO and Cinemax will not return at all to Dish and now Dish is also feuding with Sinclair Network newly owned Fox Sports regional channels and with Disney over their newly owned FX,FXX, NatGeo, and some others. This bullshit needs to stop as the customers are the ones getting fucked by this.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/dis...ts-1203274496/
Old 07-21-19, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

As long as they aren’t charging you and you really want it now, you can get both HBO and Cinemax together via Amazon channels or Roku Channels.

The FOX Sports RSN is tricky because sports networks are never sold a la carte.

Im in a similar thing with DirecTV and CBS.
Old 07-21-19, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts

Also a DISH carriage dispute with Meredith Corp that has blacked out locals in 12 markets since last Tues.
Old 07-21-19, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts

My parents live in a fairly remote area. Satellite is their only tv option. The local internet is not fast enough and always going out so streaming isn't an option. All these channel outages are awful for people with no other options....
Old 07-21-19, 10:35 PM
Banned

For years this has become a game of chicken for all parties involved. To this day, Disney still hasn't returned the HD feed for their XD and West Coast channel to Dish after a huge dispute they had about 6-8 years ago. Univision just returned to Dish after a lengthy dispute but this is happening more and more, especially with AT&T/WB, Disney and Sinclair gaining more power through business acquisitions.

I've been getting HBO through their Go app and plan on getting HBO Max next year. I'm debating about cutting satellite and going streaming only moving forward but still a big decision I need to analyze based on my and my household viewing habits.
Old 07-22-19, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 219 Likes on 166 Posts

AT&T U-verse has blacked out the CW network for over a month now. I wished we still had cable, this sort of thing never happened.
Old 07-22-19, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

I'm one of those suffering from the HBO and Cinemax black-outs on DISH. It fucking sucks!!!
Old 08-06-21, 10:41 PM

HBO and Cinemax are back on DISH! I just found out today when I was setting up my DVR and flipping thru the channels! Totally made my day. Its been almost 3 years!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ng/5416825001/
Old 08-07-21, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,208 Likes on 1,509 Posts

Why is this still even a thing in this day and age.
The following users liked this post:
Alan Smithee (08-08-21)
Old 08-07-21, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock
Why is this still even a thing in this day and age.

Old 08-07-21, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

The modern version also prevails (YouTube TV is still unavailable to download on Roku unless you already had it installed. Though Google slyly added it to their Roku YouTube App (albeit less convenient) to bypass it)
Old 08-07-21, 09:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mickey65
HBO and Cinemax are back on DISH! I just found out today when I was setting up my DVR and flipping thru the channels! Totally made my day. Its been almost 3 years!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ng/5416825001/
Me too! Found out last night while channel surfing. I'm still somewhat confused about how to do the whole HBOMAX thing through them instead of directly.
Old 08-07-21, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

I hate these disputes and remember that big mess Viacom and CBS had with Directv in the summer of 2019 and those channels were gone for almost a month.
Old 08-08-21, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Red Hood
Me too! Found out last night while channel surfing. I'm still somewhat confused about how to do the whole HBOMAX thing through them instead of directly.
I went into my DISH account on the website and set up the HBO package to my other channels. Right now they are doing it as a "freebie" for everyone for a week. So if you want to keep it, you have to order it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.