Reload this Page >

Stranger Things (Netflix) -- Season 2 Thread -- premieres 10/27/17

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Stranger Things (Netflix) -- Season 2 Thread -- premieres 10/27/17

Old 11-27-17, 03:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Stranger Things (Netflix) -- Season 2 Thread -- premieres 10/27/17

Spoiler:
Does anyone else think Dustin is the new virus carrier since he was sprayed by the creature in the tunnel?
Nothing seemed to come of it other than him whining about the taste of it. Seems pointless if that's all that's gonna happen.

Also, was the virus that was driven out of Will just evaporate? Or do we suspect it's looking for a new host too?
Old 11-28-17, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
No doubt the show works best with the ensemble cast together, but I’m just surprised at the utter disdain of one isolated episode. (Not you personally as this is directed at a section of the fanbase) Heck, even TV Guide gave the episode a ‘Jeer.’

This always happens with shows or even movie franchises as once they try to do something a bit different, they get criticized. But in the same vein, I read several comments that they don’t want Will to be the sacrificial lamb for Season 3 and want something different.

This is a binge show that fans don’t have to wait week to week so Episode 7 should not have been so jarring since you could watch Episode 8 right after it.
To use everyone's favorite term from The Walking Dead threads...it was a filler episode. The information was needed but not a whole episode when there is only 9 total. No one missed the point of it. It just didn't need to waste a whole episode. Like someone mentioned a few parts sprinkled in here or there or take 20 minutes. Boom done.
Old 11-28-17, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
To use everyone's favorite term from The Walking Dead threads...it was a filler episode. The information was needed but not a whole episode when there is only 9 total. No one missed the point of it. It just didn't need to waste a whole episode. Like someone mentioned a few parts sprinkled in here or there or take 20 minutes. Boom done.
This goes to my point about how people have just become too critical and impatient with every episode in this day and age of binging and shorter seasons. 10-15 years ago, a show like this would be 20-24 episodes per season, so people were less apt to analyze every episode if it didn't blow them away for 60 minutes.

If this were a pattern with the show of constant filler episodes like The Walking Dead, then I would see your point.

I would understand the anger if this storyline went on for a few episodes just like The Sopranos
Spoiler:
when Tony doesn't remember who he is after being shot for 2-3 episodes

But this is one episode they wanted to dedicate to Eleven and to meet her 'sister', and I'm just shocked at the total outrage from everyone (not just you guys the outrage is all over social media).
Old 11-28-17, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

This goes to my point about how people have just become too critical and impatient with every episode in this day and age of binging and shorter seasons. 10-15 years ago, a show like this would be 20-24 episodes per season, so people were less apt to analyze every episode if it didn't blow them away for 60 minutes.
You keep rallying against binging but I don't see the issue. Being critical about episodes seems like a good thing to me, whether a show has short or long seasons. Plenty of current TV shows that still have longer seasons get plenty of criticism anyway. I mean, why accept filler episodes on any show, short or long? I think it's good that writers know on a 9-13 episode show to not waste time on material
Old 11-28-17, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts

If this were a pattern with the show of constant filler episodes like The Walking Dead, then I would see your point.

I would understand the anger if this storyline went on for a few episodes just like The Sopranos
Spoiler:
when Tony doesn't remember who he is after being shot for 2-3 episodes

But this is one episode they wanted to dedicate to Eleven and to meet her 'sister', and I'm just shocked at the total outrage from everyone (not just you guys the outrage is all over social media).
I can only speak for myself, but I absolutely loathed episode 7. With a passion.

But NOT because they dedicated an episode to Eleven and her 'sister'.

And NOT because they tried to do something different and break from formula.

I loathed because they did it so freakin' badly. That entire episode was horrendously written, introducing paper-thin caricatures that looked like the walked off the set Michael Jackson's "Beat It" video (the punk guy! the big black guy! the smarmy latin chick! etc.) and, quite frankly, the 'sister' was an arrogant, unlikable bore as well.

It didn't expand the world in any way that could be construed as interesting, unique, fascinating, or (quite frankly) in any real competent way. There's always been a strong element of verisimilitude to Stranger Things, and everything about the Chicago episode felt thin, fake, and false.
Old 11-28-17, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy

I loathed because they did it so freakin' badly. That entire episode was horrendously written, introducing paper-thin caricatures that looked like the walked off the set Michael Jackson's "Beat It" video (the punk guy! the big black guy! the smarmy latin chick! etc.) and, quite frankly, the 'sister' was an arrogant, unlikable bore as well.

That honestly may have been their intention as the WHOLE show is a nod to that time period. We'll all have to agree to disagree as I can see we're going in circles with this debate.
Old 11-28-17, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That honestly may have been their intention as the WHOLE show is a nod to that time period.
No, the whole show is nothing like a "nod to that time period". It is set in that time period (early/mid 1980s), but done so in a way that isn't cheeky, nostalgic, or cliched.

Every 1980s movie, even ones that aren't necessarily farce, parody, or cheeky comedy, always goes for the cliched style of the time: people running around wearing neon colors, exaggerated overly-moussed hair, silly clothes like parachute pants, Michael Jackson jackets, Madonna gloves/hats as if most people actually ran around wearing such grotesqueries, looking like rejects from MTV's Friday Night Video Fights.

Stranger Things works because it avoided these cliches. It presented a more realistic view of the time, eerily accurate to be honest. I was the exact same age as the Stranger Things kids at the exact same year (12 in 1983, 13 in 1984). They NAILED it. It made you identify more with the characters and their situations, because they existed in this fantasy world that still FELT real, believable, and (yes) with verisimilitude.

Once the series detoured into the Chicago episode, the entire look and feel of the show drifted into hack 80s caricature territory. Throw in a bunch of unlikable, extremely poorly written characters that you felt NOTHING for, with 45 minutes that hardly advances the story, and you have one big waste of an episode.

That's my reason for intensely loathing Episode 7. Others may vary!
Old 11-29-17, 04:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 918 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
You keep rallying against binging but I don't see the issue. Being critical about episodes seems like a good thing to me, whether a show has short or long seasons. Plenty of current TV shows that still have longer seasons get plenty of criticism anyway. I mean, why accept filler episodes on any show, short or long? I think it's good that writers know on a 9-13 episode show to not waste time on material
That's one of the cool things about this new era of television is that creators are no longer confined to things like exact run times or commercial break timing or even episode number. I think Netflix have given the duffer brothers the creative freedom to tell their story. I'd much rather have a tighter story told over fewer episodes then something bloated over 24 episodes. Plus the trend towards a continuous story vs individual serialized story telling opens shows up for more criticism. You can't really have any throwaway episodes if it's one long story. It's much easier to forgive if the writers somehow manage to think it's a good idea to turn a captain and a pilot into giant salamanders for breaking the warp 10 barrier if it is never spoken of again.
Old 11-29-17, 04:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 918 Likes on 641 Posts

No, the whole show is nothing like a "nod to that time period". It is set in that time period (early/mid 1980s), but done so in a way that isn't cheeky, nostalgic, or cliched.

Every 1980s movie, even ones that aren't necessarily farce, parody, or cheeky comedy, always goes for the cliched style of the time: people running around wearing neon colors, exaggerated overly-moussed hair, silly clothes like parachute pants, Michael Jackson jackets, Madonna gloves/hats as if most people actually ran around wearing such grotesqueries, looking like rejects from MTV's Friday Night Video Fights.

Stranger Things works because it avoided these cliches. It presented a more realistic view of the time, eerily accurate to be honest. I was the exact same age as the Stranger Things kids at the exact same year (12 in 1983, 13 in 1984). They NAILED it. It made you identify more with the characters and their situations, because they existed in this fantasy world that still FELT real, believable, and (yes) with verisimilitude.

Once the series detoured into the Chicago episode, the entire look and feel of the show drifted into hack 80s caricature territory. Throw in a bunch of unlikable, extremely poorly written characters that you felt NOTHING for, with 45 minutes that hardly advances the story, and you have one big waste of an episode.

That's my reason for intensely loathing Episode 7. Others may vary!

You hit it on the head why it's such a popular show. They did such a good job of having the audience connect with the characters. It was a very genuine show despite it's horror/scifi flavor. It's such a well written and crafted show that it makes eps 7 stand out even more.

But one thing it did do is make me SO grateful that eleven finally chose to go back to Hawkins and made her reunion with Mike and the others THAT much more satisfying. It was almost as if they made the episode terrible and out of place on purpose to serve as a contrast for the final act.
Old 11-29-17, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by karoomba
Spoiler:
Does anyone else think Dustin is the new virus carrier since he was sprayed by the creature in the tunnel?
Nothing seemed to come of it other than him whining about the taste of it. Seems pointless if that's all that's gonna happen.

Also, was the virus that was driven out of Will just evaporate? Or do we suspect it's looking for a new host too?
I dont think so.

Spoiler:
It seemed like that thing was just spewing those floaty things that are ubiquitous in the upsidedown. Presumably those are spores and how the vine reproduces itself.
I doubt they are good for you, but others on the show have been exposed to them and we haven't had any visible effects. Eleven basically lived in the upsidedown and breathed them day and night. Will only got infected after he allowed that Hydra thing to get inside him in the upsidedown.

I think the thing that infected Will needs a host. Once it was evicted from Will it returned to the upsidedown. Only then did it appear on the other side of the gate.
Old 11-29-17, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

!
Maybe we are watching different shows but this whole season was a nod to Gremlins, Ghostbusters, Footloose and Aliens, and it is purposely done in an obvious way. Dustin having the creature in his house is taken right from Gremlins, as it gets out and multiplies after he is fed by him, etc. The First Season has 1 Alien like the Original, and this season is multiple Aliens like the Sequel from Cameron. As I said the ending is a nod to Footloose when they are at the dance, and everyone is awkward dancing. While the parents are talking outside when the music is playing. Then Ghostbusters episode was a huge nod to the movie, as I went out for Halloween in 1984 and nobody had those type of costumes or props like they did from the movie. That was still the era of cheap costumes, but I would have loved to dress like a Ghostbuster!

The reason you guys didn't like Episode 7 was because it was something totally different, and usually these types of episodes never go over well for any show. (I have seen it with The Sopranos, Mr Robot, etc.) But I guarantee that fans will start whining next year that the show is becoming to formulaic (they will complain it's another season, another monster, etc), and will be wishing for something totally different. Trust me, these type of shows/movie franchises usually end up getting the biggest backlash as the fans build it up so much, and then tear it down like there is no tomorrow. Just ask Star Wars and The Walking Dead fans.
Old 11-29-17, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The reason you guys didn't like Episode 7 was because it was something totally different, and usually these types of episodes never go over well for any show. (I have seen it with The Sopranos, Mr Robot, etc.) But I guarantee that fans will start whining next year that the show is becoming to formulaic (they will complain it's another season, another monster, etc), and will be wishing for something totally different.
This sounds like a case of "i liked something a lot of people didn't, so everyone else must be wrong."
Old 11-29-17, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fumanstan
This sounds like a case of "i liked something a lot of people didn't, so everyone else must be wrong."
I was afraid my posts are coming off that way, so let me clarify. I'm arguing more as to the level of hatred towards the episode, not specifically if you thought it was great, Ok, bad, etc. I get that people don't love the episode, I get that people don't like the episode, but the anger towards it on social media is astounding.
Old 11-29-17, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe we are watching different shows but this whole season was a nod to Gremlins, Ghostbusters, Footloose and Aliens, and it is purposely done in an obvious way. Dustin having the creature in his house is taken right from Gremlins, as it gets out and multiplies after he is fed by him, etc. The First Season has 1 Alien like the Original, and this season is multiple Aliens like the Sequel from Cameron. As I said the ending is a nod to Footloose when they are at the dance, and everyone is awkward dancing. While the parents are talking outside when the music is playing. Then Ghostbusters episode was a huge nod to the movie, as I went out for Halloween in 1984 and nobody had those type of costumes or props like they did from the movie. That was still the era of cheap costumes, but I would have loved to dress like a Ghostbuster!
Do you not see the tonal difference between Stranger Things and, say, The Wedding Singer or Hot Tub Time Machine or Rock of Ages? Episode 7 was firmly rooted in the latter rather than the former (in terms of aesthetics). It was a jarring tonal shift, and a terribly written episode with paper-tun characters you could hardly care about. All IMO of course, but it seems to be the consensus among fans.
The reason you guys didn't like Episode 7 was because it was something totally different, and usually these types of episodes never go over well for any show.
No. A thousand times no. We've explained this a bunch of times. It wasn't because the episode was different, but because it was badly different. They could have achieved what needed to be narratively achieved with the Sister and without the rejects from the "Weird Science" party gang-infiltration scene.
Old 11-29-17, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I was afraid my posts are coming off that way, so let me clarify. I'm arguing more as to the level of hatred towards the episode, not specifically if you thought it was great, Ok, bad, etc. I get that people don't love the episode, I get that people don't like the episode, but the anger towards it on social media is astounding.
Well you seem to be trying to come up with all sorts of reasons or excuses to defend the episode, whether it be because of binge watching, because people don't like different things, or because it was purposely bad. I've seen that sort of response being typical here when someone disagrees with a wide spread thought, insinuating that it's the other viewers problem that they didn't like a certain movie or TV show.

I don't think there's anything more to it then it just being a bad and unnecessary episode.
Old 12-01-17, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,359 Likes on 922 Posts

Offically renewed for a 3rd season: https://io9.gizmodo.com/stranger-thi...son-1820916208
Old 12-18-17, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

We just finished the season, even though we started back in October!

We really enjoyed it. Not sure if I like S1 better or not. I do think that had a lot more mystery and discovery, whereas this one had more problem solving and waiting for the pieces to fit together. Even though most of them were separated for the bulk of the episodes, I did really enjoy how the different parties came together in the end.

Oh, and Bob...
Spoiler:
also totally thought he was a plant to keep tabs on the family. Was really surprised he wasn’t and by his fate!

Originally Posted by story
I guarantee if the episode 7 story had been part of Eleven's arch sprinkled throughout like everyone else's, people would love it. Even if it got a big 20-minute puece for the ending, people would've dug it.
I totally agree with this and was surprised you were the first to suggest. I didnt hate the content of episode 7, but do think it was too jarring and isolated. It’s clear it took place over several days and concurrently to events in Hawkins, so they could have sprinkled it across episodes. It doesn’t help that it the cliffhanger from episode 6 was left to hang () for an extra episode.

I agree the dance was great. Who knew you’d feel so bad for Steve at this point in the story as he pined over Nacy!

Not sure how the cliffhanger will tie into season 3 given the status of the gate, but I guess this leaves them with more wiggle room to come up with plot elements.

I do like the idea of having 11 subjects needed for finish out the story. If they go that route, I’ll like us just to have some in hand come season 4 without spending an entire season going looking for them. Would leave open spin-off stories for comics, audio books etc.
Old 12-18-17, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 209 Likes on 185 Posts

Finally finished up the last three episodes after a 3-4 week break. The infamous Episode 7 almost felt like a back-door pilot for an X-Men knock-off series.
Old 12-19-17, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I have no problem with that, and like a detour once in a while. What I didn't like is the execution of it. It felt like it came from a different series.

Hit the nail on the head.

I did like the general idea of Eleven going to Chicago, and I really liked the visual of her looking out the window of their loft with neon signs in the background. The city night life was a nice contrast to the small town of Hawkins. It expanded the world of Stranger Things. But again, it was poorly done. Someone else said it felt like an X-Men spin-off, and in my opinion, it should have felt more like an episode of The Hitchhiker.

Stranger Things works because it avoided these cliches...
Exactly. There were some hiccups, but overall it felt "real." Not so much for Ep. 7.

As I said the ending is a nod to Footloose when they are at the dance, and everyone is awkward dancing. While the parents are talking outside when the music is playing.
I was against you on your argument, but good point here. I definitely feel like the nods to the 80s were overdone. The first series has kid actors that actually look like kids that might have sat next to you in class. They didn't do the garish, 80s caricatures that other films/tv shows might do.

But yeah, that ending of the last episode, while kinda heart warming, was definitely cliche, and felt like a typical movie ending, rather than part of the ongoing story.

The wink*wink to Aliens was too much for me. Took me right outta the story for that episode. I don't see Will's mom, I only see Winona Ryder, plus her acting and dialogue isn't the best. But fine. But then they bring in Rudy too?
Paul Reiser was actually pretty good in his role, and I think it helps that he doesn't look too different from how did in the 80s.
But the whole "stay frosty"/motion detectors/Aliens marine battle was too obvious.

And yeah, the Gremlins nod felt forced too. How is Dustin going to keep this creature after what he's witnessed in the first season?

Then Ghostbusters episode was a huge nod to the movie, as I went out for Halloween in 1984 and nobody had those type of costumes or props like they did from the movie. That was still the era of cheap costumes, but I would have loved to dress like a Ghostbuster!
I was wondering the same thing. Would there have been kids dressing up as Ghostbusters by that time? I thought that started with the cartoon series.

The reason you guys didn't like Episode 7 was because it was something totally different, and usually these types of episodes never go over well for any show. (I have seen it with The Sopranos, Mr Robot, etc.)
How are you going to attribute a particular reason to people's dislike of the episode, when they already explained that it has nothing to do with it being different, but that it was done poorly.

Trust me, these type of shows/movie franchises usually end up getting the biggest backlash as the fans build it up so much, and then tear it down like there is no tomorrow. Just ask Star Wars and The Walking Dead fans.
But Star Wars is known for having crappy sequels so not the best example to use.

Anyway, I'm loving this series, but I wish it was slightly more grounded. I could do without the geek nods to pop-culture like mcnabb cited. But then again, I think those nods have helped make it successful in the mainstream. People start talking about the "Ghostbusters episode" or the Aliens one, and the fans of those franchises tune in to Stranger Things and get hooked.
Old 02-21-18, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I watched 3 episodes when it came online and have not watched the rest. Not sure why, but just hasn't grabbed me as much as the first season. This tends to happen a lot with me when they release full series all at once. I watch a couple, get distracted and then return to them 6-12 months later as i feel obligated to finish them up.

Still got a tonne of shows on my list to get through. Just dont have the time.
Old 04-02-18, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Just watched Season 2 over the weekend and I just wanted to say this

I can only speak for myself, but I absolutely loathed episode 7. With a passion.

But NOT because they dedicated an episode to Eleven and her 'sister'.

And NOT because they tried to do something different and break from formula.

It didn't expand the world in any way that could be construed as interesting, unique, fascinating, or (quite frankly) in any real competent way. There's always been a strong element of verisimilitude to Stranger Things, and everything about the Chicago episode felt thin, fake, and false.
Also the bully brother didn't feel like it amounted to anything, maybe next season...
Other than that I love this show. Let's hope Will doesn't become the sacrifice lamb again
Old 04-03-18, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

I haven't really chimed in but I finally watched season 2 not too long ago. Fantastic season, I loved the additions of Mad Max and her brother and Paul Reiser was much better than Matthew Modine. That being said, I'd put it slightly below season 1 for a couple reasons. First, keeping Eleven separate from the gang the entire season was dumb. It made the reunion touching, but they could have done it halfway through the season and been just as effective. Second, the whole sideplot about Eleven's sister was so poorly handled that it came off as a bad Heroes plot. Oh and killing Bob just came across as an obvious trope instead of a compelling plot development.

Originally Posted by RichC2
Stranger Things was sold under the name Montauk, after The Montauk Project. Which is a long rumored government experiment.

Sooooo... yeah.
If that's true, they are idiots. That's like stealing The Legend of Zelda and selling it as "Zelda" hoping no one would notice.
Old 05-25-18, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 646 Likes on 446 Posts

Bob and Mews face their fears:

Old 11-10-18, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts

Didn't realize this had been out for a whole year ... I watched it over the past few days.

WARNING -- it's been long enough I am not using spoiler tags. Quit reading now if you need to.

Loved it. There were lots of seeds planted that didn't bear out the way the viewers expected, most of those involving the new characters:

*The delayed reveal of Max and Billy's parents was deliberate to keep watering the seeds in their story line. I thought that was brilliant. The whole time I kept thinking Billy and Max could have been vampires straight out of Lost Boys.

*I think we all expected Bob to be a plant. It was shocking to just let his character play out ...

*But nowhere near as shocking as Paul Reiser turning out to be a good guy. He seemed to be an extension of his character in Aliens, so that was a nice twist.

One thing that didn't play out was Checkhov's mousetraps. Don't know why that stuck out to me, but it did.

An odd question ... what happened to Mike and Nancy's little sister? I don't recall ever hearing a mention of her.

I didn't mind episode 7 as much as most. I will agree the execution was really off in the tone of the show. The entire episode was a comic book put on screen and felt like a backdoor pilot for a young mutants series. The primary failure was it being neatly wrapped into one episode ... had it been better written and sprinkled over a few episodes, it would have worked.
Old 08-06-19, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am midway through the season. On Episode 5. Seen the first season when it came out, but have not got around to see the 2nd and eventual 3rd until now.

I only got one thing to say so far. I didn't know they found a way to bring back Rob Lowe! He looks so young! They must of de-aged him.
What a resemblance! It's uncanny!

Love this show!

Last edited by Rainet; 08-06-19 at 10:49 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.