Old 10-10-17, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
American Horror Story: Cult (S7E06) -- "Mid-Western Assassin" -- 10/10/17

American Horror Story: Cult

Episode Descriptions

Mid-Western Assassin

706 10/10/2017 10 PM ET/PT

The FX limited series, American Horror Story, returns for a seventh installment. Written by Todd Kubrak; Directed by Bradley Buecker

Please note, the broadcast version of this episode is edited for content due to a mass shooting sequence.

To see the full uncut version, you will need to watch this episode on demand or via the FX Now app.
Old 10-10-17, 03:54 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Re: American Horror Story: Cult (S7E06) -- "Mid-Western Assassin" -- 10/10/17

Depending how it goes, I may check out both versions for curiosity. I just watched last week's the other day, which was brutal - may need to give it a few more days before I'm able to jump back into this show.
Old 10-10-17, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

I'm only through the opening credits, but I have to take a moment to say ...

From last week's thread:

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
That's what I am worried about ... we are almost halfway in and haven't gotten a major "pivot". It's no secret I despised Roanoke, but every time it started to gain a little bit of traction Murphy would change gears so fast the transmission dropped out.

So far this has been a fairly coherent, sensible plot with some decent twists and turns ... please don't go radical and fuck it all up. That said, there is a whole lot of show left while this story line seems to be reaching its peak. Do we get a time-jump with Kai (or Beverly?) running for - or already holding - a larger public office? Does Ally go full-on nuts and try to assassinate him/her?
Old 10-11-17, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Old 10-11-17, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I liked the episode. I didn't know about the edit. I'm not sure I want to go back and watch it again.

What exactly was edited out?
Old 10-12-17, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I watched the FX broadcast version that recorded to my DVR. Seemed possible that was what edited probably amounted to the gore aspect showing of the shots landing. Lots of jump cuts at points where they would show bullets ripping through flesh. So not really any big loss.

Great episode. It doesn't correct what was some terrible scripts and execution in those few episodes, but the whole season arc is enjoyable now. Evan Peters is really nailing it this season after being pretty MIA during the last couple seasons.
Old 10-12-17, 12:49 PM

I watched the unedited version first and then the broadcast version. The basic change was that the shooting went on a bit longer, mostly from the point of the view of the crowd. So that's what I think the producers realized could be traumatic for anyone who's ever been in that kind of situation. Ivy was hiding behind the fountain and she would see someone go down (no bloodshed really) and then look elsewhere and someone else. There was even one guy who tried to help her, grabbed her hand and got shot.
Old 10-12-17, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dave94
I watched the unedited version first and then the broadcast version. The basic change was that the shooting went on a bit longer, mostly from the point of the view of the crowd. So that's what I think the producers realized could be traumatic for anyone who's ever been in that kind of situation. Ivy was hiding behind the fountain and she would see someone go down (no bloodshed really) and then look elsewhere and someone else. There was even one guy who tried to help her, grabbed her hand and got shot.

That makes the edit even more of an odd decision then given there was still probably enough of that traumatic "one of the crowd" stuff going on in the edit to be a problem for those that have went through it. There is essentially no way to show it from Ivy's respective and not have that kind of feel to the scene.