Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Kung Fu (The CW) -- EP: Berlanti -- premieres 4/7/21

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 09-28-17, 02:21 PM

Received 979 Likes on 661 Posts

EXCLUSIVE: In a competitive situation, Fox has landed Kung Fu, a drama with a female lead based on the 1970s David Carradine-starring TV series. The project, executive produced by Greg Berlanti, was given a put pilot commitment.

Written by Arrow executive producer and longtime Berlanti collaborator Wendy Mericle, Kung Fu is a sequel to the original series, created by Ed Spielman, which was set in the 1880s and chronicles the adventures of Kwai Chang Caine (Carradine), a Shaolin monk who travels the American Old West armed only with his spiritual training — including a ton of aphorisms — and his skill in martial arts in search of his half-brother.

The new Kung Fu follows the adventures of Lucy Chang, a Buddhist monk and kung fu master who travels through 1950s America armed only with her spiritual training and her martial arts skills as she searches for the man who stole her child years before. When she teams with JT Cullen, a charming Korean war vet with his own secrets, the two form an unlikely alliance that allows Lucy to continue her search while also coming to the aid of people in need. (It is unclear whether Carradine’s character and Lucy Chang are related.)

If the project makes it to series, it would mark a milestone as a broadcast drama series with two Asian leads.

Mericle and Berlanti Prods’ Berlanti and Sarah Schechter executive produce for Warner Bros TV and studio-based Berlanti Prods.

The original 1972 Kung Fu series started with a 90-minute TV movie, which served as a pilot (you can watch the series’ opening sequence below). The drama’s three-season run on ABC was followed by a stand-alone TV movie, Kung Fu: The Movie, which aired on CBS in 1986 with Carradine reprising his role and Brandon Lee playing his son. CBS the following year tried to launch a sequel series, Kung Fu: The Next Generation, centered on Lee’s character, though it did not go beyond the pilot stage. There was also Kung Fu: The Legend Continues, an American-Canadian series, which aired four seasons between 1993-1997.

It has been another big development season for Berlanti Prods., which has 10 series on the air. The company’s sales include three other put pilot commitments — for an untitled legal drama written by Martin Gero & Brendan Gall at CBS; the White House political drama Republic, written by Alex Berger, at NBC; and light hourlong procedural God Friended Me at CBS, from Steven Lilien, Bryan Wynbrandt and Marcos Siega. Additionally, Berlanti Prods. has three projects set up at the CW including The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, eyed as a Riverdale companion.

Mericle’s first writing job was on Berlanti’s firts series as a creator, Everwood. She also worked with him on Jack & Bobby and Eli Stone before joining Arrow after the pilot, rising to executive producer. She is repped by CAA and attorney Nina Shaw. Berlanti is with WME.
http://deadline.com/2017/09/kung-fu-...ot-1202178645/
Old 09-28-17, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 210 Likes on 182 Posts
re: Kung Fu (The CW) -- EP: Berlanti -- premieres 4/7/21

1950s America?

That seems like a very odd time for a female Buddhist monk.
Old 09-28-17, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts

Female Buddhist monk... had a child. Hmm....

If the project makes it to series, it would mark a milestone as a broadcast drama series with two Asian leads.
uh....

Old 09-28-17, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 768 Likes on 571 Posts

^^ someone didn't do research for their article

Actually...the article was updated....now it says:

If the project goes to series, it would mark a rare Big 4 broadcast drama series with an Asian character at the center.

Vanishing Son was actually a syndicated series, so it wouldn't have counted.

Last edited by DJariya; 09-28-17 at 04:35 PM.
Old 11-06-19, 04:56 PM

Received 979 Likes on 661 Posts

BUMP
They’re trying to do this again:

If you’re feeling Kung Fu redo déjà vu, it’s for a good reason. A female-led reboot of the 1970s series that starred David Carradine is now in development at The CW… more than two years after a female-led reboot landed a put pilot commitment at Fox.

The original Kung Fu starred Carradine as Kwai Chang Caine, a Shaolin monk who traveled through the American Old West armed only with his spiritual training and his skill in martial arts, as he sought out his half-brother Danny. This new take follows a young Chinese-American woman who drops out of college and go on a life-changing journey to an isolated monastery in China. But when she returns to find her hometown overrun with crime and corruption, she uses her martial arts skills and Shaolin values to protect her community and bring criminals to justice — all while searching for the assassin who killed her Shaolin mentor and is now targeting her.

Blindspot EP Christina M. Kim will pen the reboot and serve as an executive producer alongside Blindspot creator Martin Gero and Berlanti Productions’ Greg Berlanti and Sarah Schechter.

(The version developed for Fox, written by Arrow vet Wendy Mericle and also EP’d by Berlanti, followed Lucy Chang, a Buddhist monk and kung fu master who travels through 1950s America searching for the man who stole her child years earlier.)

Earlier this fall, The CW put in development a Walker, Texas Ranger reboot starring Supernatural vet Jared Padalecki.
https://tvline.com/2019/11/06/kung-f...reboot-the-cw/

Last edited by dex14; 11-06-19 at 06:01 PM.
Old 11-06-19, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 189 Likes on 158 Posts

So wait, this isn't The Adventures of Jules Winfield? 25 years of wandering the earth, and no stories yet? I don't buy it.
Old 11-06-19, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts

(random bar/restaurant) "We don't serve no Chinawomen 'round here missy." Ass-kicking ensues.

There, now you've seen the entire series. You're welcome.
Old 11-07-19, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

Okay, that's it. I'm officially sick of Greg Berlanti.
Old 11-07-19, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

This is an alarmingly stupid idea.
Old 11-07-19, 09:58 AM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I don't understand why they have to specify it's going to "have a female lead". Who cares? I miss the old days, when Alias and Buffy the Vampire Slayer were on the air and they were just shows with people on them. Hell, Nikita had an Asian female lead and I loved that show. But everyone acting lie they're the first to have a female as the lead is head-scratching.
Old 11-07-19, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 210 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by MysterioMan007 View Post
I don't understand why they have to specify it's going to "have a female lead". Who cares? I miss the old days, when Alias and Buffy the Vampire Slayer were on the air and they were just shows with people on them. Hell, Nikita had an Asian female lead and I loved that show. But everyone acting lie they're the first to have a female as the lead is head-scratching.
It's for the benefit of social media and pandering to that audience for marketing purposes.
Old 11-07-19, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 342 Likes on 216 Posts

I think instead of wondering why they need to point out the female lead, you might need to figure out why it would even bother you.

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
It's for the benefit of social media and pandering to that audience for marketing purposes.

Wow, it really bother folks that they might be trying to market to Women doesn't it? Sigh...
Old 11-07-19, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
I think instead of wondering why they need to point out the female lead, you might need to figure out why it would even bother you.

Wow, it really bother folks that they might be trying to market to Women doesn't it? Sigh...
It doesn't. I just think you need more marketing than "Look at me. I'm a woman instead of a man". Congratulations on their x chromosome. Just give me a good show and stop trying to point out how "woke" you're being... they're not as ground-breaking as they're making themselves out to be...
Old 11-08-19, 01:22 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I love the original show, I even like the Movie and The Legend Continues. But this is a bad idea. If its set in the past it wont work because there wasn't a female monk until 2002 because of one of the laws. But if they make her a Buddhist nun I suppose it could be okay. But I dont see this being anywhere as good as the original.
Old 11-08-19, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's why I don't get when articles point it out. It's not new, I've been watching shows that star women leads since the 90's. Just make an interesting show.
Old 11-08-19, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah this just sounds awful. I'm starting to think Berlanti might be creatively bankrupt and need a hiatus.
Old 11-08-19, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

It doesn't. I just think you need more marketing than "Look at me. I'm a woman instead of a man". Congratulations on their x chromosome. Just give me a good show and stop trying to point out how "woke" you're being... they're not as ground-breaking as they're making themselves out to be...

All the article was doing was literally describing the new show. Giving details and point out that this time the lead will not be what people expect.

Nothing "Woke" about it. I guess "woke" is the new "SJW" bitching point.
Old 11-08-19, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

A remake of a shit 70's show?
Old 11-08-19, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
All the article was doing was literally describing the new show. Giving details and point out that this time the lead will not be what people expect.

Nothing "Woke" about it. I guess "woke" is the new "SJW" bitching point.
It stems from the Ghostbusters remake, back when the cast and director was going around telling everyone that if they didn't like their movie, they were sexist or misogynistic because they just had problems with women being the focus of anything, which also isn't why people were upset. If you don't see the trend or subtext, I don't know what to tell you... I just know they don't write articles about the great new male-led show coming out written in the headlines. Truthfully, I never even watched the original show, so I probably won't watch this one, either, but it has nothing to do with what gender and race are the stars.
Old 11-09-19, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by robin2099 View Post
Yeah this just sounds awful. I'm starting to think Berlanti might be creatively bankrupt and need a hiatus.
Greg Berlanti is not the creator/developer of this potential series. It's Christina Kim, one of his Producers on Blindspot. His production company is behind it, so he gets credited as EP no matter what.

Just because he gets credited as EP on a bunch of shows, it does not mean he's on set or in the writer's room 5 days a week.
Old 11-13-19, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 343 Likes on 211 Posts

Female-led shows are still in the minority, it's a remake of a show that starred a man (who famously could not actually do kung-fu when hired, was white, and was cast over Bruce Lee) and it's newsworthy to point out that a show has a female lead because again, that's still a rarity. Once it happens like 50 percent of the time, it will stop being mentioned.
Old 11-13-19, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Female-led shows are still in the minority, it's a remake of a show that starred a man (who famously could not actually do kung-fu when hired, was white, and was cast over Bruce Lee) and it's newsworthy to point out that a show has a female lead because again, that's still a rarity. Once it happens like 50 percent of the time, it will stop being mentioned.

^^^All this
Old 11-13-19, 08:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It stems from the Ghostbusters remake, back when the cast and director was going around telling everyone that if they didn't like their movie, they were sexist or misogynistic because they just had problems with women being the focus of anything, which also isn't why people were upset. If you don't see the trend or subtext, I don't know what to tell you... I just know they don't write articles about the great new male-led show coming out written in the headlines. Truthfully, I never even watched the original show, so I probably won't watch this one, either, but it has nothing to do with what gender and race are the stars.
I know right? And why do they have gay pride parades and black history month either? You don't see us promoting straight pride parades and white history month!
Old 05-12-20, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Picked up to series by The CW:

https://deadline.com/2020/05/kung-fu...on-1202932713/

KUNG FU

LOGLINE: A quarter-life crisis causes a young Chinese-American woman to drop out of college and go on a life-changing journey to an isolated monastery in China. But when she returns to find her hometown overrun with crime and corruption, she uses her martial arts skills and Shaolin values to protect her community and bring criminals to justice…all while searching for the assassin who killed her Shaolin mentor and is now targeting her.

Cast: Olivia Liang, Kheng Hua Tan, Shannon Dang, Jon Prasida, Eddie Liu, Gavin Stenhouse, Gwendoline Yeo and Tzi Ma

Executive Producer/Writer: Christina M. Kim

Executive Producers: Martin Gero (Quinn’s House); Greg Berlanti, Sarah Schechter (Berlanti Productions)

Director/Co-Executive Producer: Hanelle Culpepper

Inspired by the original series created by Ed Spielman
Old 05-12-20, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts

Looked up the lead.. she's cutie. I'd watch.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.