Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Will & Grace (NBC) -- Revival Series Thread -- Premieres 9/28/17

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-18, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Re: Will & Grace (NBC) -- Revival Series Thread -- Premieres 9/28/17

Not one scene with Jack and Karen? WTF??
Old 11-30-18, 11:39 PM

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

okay, I'm starting to lose my faith in this reboot. Not one good episode all season so far.

While I still enjoy this more than half of the other things I've seen this season its gotten to the point where I just watch it while browsing online which isn't good.

Adding David Schwimmer has not been a good thing.

But worst of all, they lost all the fun changes that made things seem fresh. The characters are back to where they were in the first series. Will is sexless, Grace is still looking for love and Karen and Jack are back to being over the top cartoons.

In the reboot last year it seemed like they were going to explore how the core characters faced being old and single, which is not something the gay community addresses. I guess they couldn't find a way to bring that to mainstream comedy.

Step it up Will and Grace writers or you can go back to the unemployment line.
Old 12-01-18, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We watch but tough to catch the lightening in a bottle that was the first one. There is flamboyant, there's odd then there's Jack and Karen. Cartoonish is a good description. I thought David Schwimmer was the only character that wasn't a cartoon.
Old 07-25-19, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Canceled. The upcoming season will be the last.

https://deadline.com/2019/07/will-gr...bc-1202654017/
Old 07-25-19, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

Wow I thought it was a hit and got good or decent ratings.
Old 07-26-19, 07:48 PM

Sadly, that was to be expected. This past season was horrible.

I don't know why the producers of this show were so willing to accept scripts and storylines so stupid and buffoonish they are an embarrassment to the shows own legacy. The actors all did what they could but you could tell this past season that they were basically there to just have fun and get a paycheck.

Is it too much to ask for the writing to have some intelligence? This show was socially groundbreaking in so many ways and considered by many to have played an important role in showing people that gays are just regular people like anyone else. Would we have gay marriage today without 10 years of Will & Grace? Would support for gay rights be where its at? Probably not.

This three year epilogue was full of potential and flamed out (no pun intended) only a few episodes into the first season. I hope these final episodes find a way to rise to the level of this show when it was at its best. But based on the linked article it doesn't sound like anyone involved in the show cares.
Old 07-26-19, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Seasons 1-7 of the original "Will & Grace" were great. Especially S3-S7. Season 8 was really bad. The first and second season of the reboot have been absolutely awful save for a decent scene here and there. I can't imagine this last year will be any better. FWIW, S9 ranked #36 for 2017-2018. And S10 was #80 for 2018-2019.
Old 10-16-19, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's a preview of the final season. This is so incredibly stupid. And sad. They ignore that Will and Grace both had kids at the end of the original series when the revival began. And yet, they make Grace pregnant again!? I'm so glad the show is ending. Time to put it (and us) out of our misery. This reboot has been terrible.

Old 10-25-19, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Watched it last night and, done. This reboot/revival has been such an awful and pale comparison to what once was a great show. The writing on last night's episode was so amateurish and embarrassing, I'm stunned it got past the reading table. Plus there is zero chemistry anymore with the cast. It's been so depressing to watch. But I kept tuning in hoping it might improve or there would be a bright spot here and there. All of my friends who are also fans of the original series baled on this a long time ago. I just deleted it from my DVR.

Last edited by Daytripper; 10-25-19 at 09:07 PM.
Old 10-25-19, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Watched it last night and, done. This reboot/revival has been such an awful and pale comparison to once was a great show. The writing on last night's episode was so amateurish and embarrassing, I'm stunned it got past the reading table. Plus there is zero chemistry anymore with the cast. It's been so depressing to watch. But I kept tuning in hoping it might improve or there would be a bright spot here and there. All of my friends who are also fans of the original series baled on this a long time ago. I just deleted it from my DVR.
Sadly, I agree. I'll watch it to the end, though, to see how it finishes. I got a few chuckles from last night's episode, but that's it. The stuff with Jack and his husband was awful.
Old 10-25-19, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

So are they trying to set up the future seen in the original series finale where Will and Grace both had a kid and were going to marry each other?
Old 10-26-19, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by windom
So are they trying to set up the future seen in the original series finale where Will and Grace both had a kid and were going to marry each other?
I was wondering that too. I hope not because I'd like to see Will ride off into the sunset with Bomer. I wonder who Grace's baby daddy is... the random guy she went to Europe with?
Old 10-26-19, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 272 Likes on 171 Posts

She banged several guys in Europe... airport guy and steam shovel scoop guy being two of them. She has no clue who daddy is.
Old 02-22-20, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow. Just when I thought this show couldn't debase itself any further after devoting an entire episode to Grace taking a massive dump in a lover's apartment, we get this week's gem about her pleasuring a porpoise. Who green lit THAT idea???
Old 02-22-20, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
Wow. Just when I thought this show couldn't debase itself any further after devoting an entire episode to Grace taking a massive dump in a lover's apartment, we get this week's gem about her pleasuring a porpoise. Who green lit THAT idea???
I stopped taping and watching after the second episode this season. Dreadful. This is hands down the worst reboot/revival of any TV show I've ever seen. And when I hear people say "Well, it's still better than most of the other network sitcoms". No, it's not. The original series still remains one of my all-time favorites though.
Old 02-23-20, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
I agree, Grace and the porpoise isn't going to be knocking Lucille Ball out of the comedy hall of fame any time soon....BUT

the rest of the episode was GREAT!

The Will and Jack storyline touched up on some very real issue that a lot of gay men face with religion, in particular Catholicism. I thought they did a nice job of covering this in a respectful way that I wish I had been able to watch when I was 16 about to get my confirmation.

With only a few episodes left this is probably the best we are going to get from this reboot but at least they still had some shining moments and there is no other show with gay characters talking about these issues nationally on network TV. That's gotta count for something....too bad it was wrapped around the porpoise storyline....
Old 02-24-20, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bluesix
I agree, Grace and the porpoise isn't going to be knocking Lucille Ball out of the comedy hall of fame any time soon....BUT

the rest of the episode was GREAT!

The Will and Jack storyline touched up on some very real issue that a lot of gay men face with religion, in particular Catholicism. I thought they did a nice job of covering this in a respectful way that I wish I had been able to watch when I was 16 about to get my confirmation.

With only a few episodes left this is probably the best we are going to get from this reboot but at least they still had some shining moments and there is no other show with gay characters talking about these issues nationally on network TV. That's gotta count for something....too bad it was wrapped around the porpoise storyline....
I agree that this is one of the few shows with gay characters at the moment. But any true issues have been handled in such a buffoonish way. Also, what are some of the shining moments of this reboot? I honestly can't think of one.

Old 02-25-20, 09:00 PM

Believe me, I'm not arguing with you about the past three seasons being horrible. I've posted several posts in this thread already over the years complaining about this so I think you and I actually agree completely!

Looking back at the past 30 episodes, you are right, its hard to find any episode that is worthy of season 3 to 5 of the original series. Every storyline I can remember has been horrible and Grace has become the worst character on the show. Jack's Spanish husband is a close second. All of the guest stars have been wasted from David Schwimmer to Demi Lovato. The only moments that can at least make me chuckle have involved Karen. While Jack is usually reduced to a cartoon I've enjoyed some of the scenes he has had with Will during the reboot. It was nice to see Will finally confront him about having to give him money all the time. They have had some good discussions about being middle aged and the fear of being shunned for it in the gay community and not having a perfect body anymore, I also really liked last week's religious discussion and watching Will struggle with wanting to have a baby. No other show can bring visibility to these topics and that's what I'll miss about the show.
Old 02-25-20, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bluesix
Believe me, I'm not arguing with you about the past three seasons being horrible. I've posted several posts in this thread already over the years complaining about this so I think you and I actually agree completely!

Looking back at the past 30 episodes, you are right, its hard to find any episode that is worthy of season 3 to 5 of the original series. Every storyline I can remember has been horrible and Grace has become the worst character on the show. Jack's Spanish husband is a close second. All of the guest stars have been wasted from David Schwimmer to Demi Lovato. The only moments that can at least make me chuckle have involved Karen. While Jack is usually reduced to a cartoon I've enjoyed some of the scenes he has had with Will during the reboot. It was nice to see Will finally confront him about having to give him money all the time. They have had some good discussions about being middle aged and the fear of being shunned for it in the gay community and not having a perfect body anymore, I also really liked last week's religious discussion and watching Will struggle with wanting to have a baby. No other show can bring visibility to these topics and that's what I'll miss about the show.
I'm glad we're on the same page. Regarding Will and Jack fear being shunned by the gay community because of their age, both look almost exactly the same as they did 20 years ago. Same body, face and hair. So if anything I think their age would be the only thing that would be a problem for them. Because they look pretty damn good otherwise. Now if they were grey and 20-40 pounds heavier, I'd agree with you. About the reboot in general, I could overlook the ridiculous story lines if the actual scripts were better. But they are so bad they have made the show unwatchable for me. I give the cast an A rating for trying to make it work, but it just didn't.
Old 03-07-20, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This week's episode was another embarrassingly bad (unfunny) episode. When they filmed it, I bet the cast was counting the days until this train wreck was over.
The following users liked this post:
Daytripper (03-07-20)
Old 03-08-20, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 272 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
Since Will & Grace are now brother and sister (by marriage), is it weird if their kids end up together? Though no biological blood/DNA relation, the kids will be raised as first cousins. Seems complicated.
Old 04-23-20, 09:14 PM

So that was the last episode of Will & Grace (Reboot Version)??? I can't say I'm not underwhelmed but at least they didn't put through the cliche of watching Grace have her baby. I was actually cringing at the thought of that scene coming up at some point.

Not sure why Matt Bomer or Minnie Driver even bothered to show up. They had like 10 lines total. Strange not to see Demi Lovato at all.
Watching Karen climb a ladder to a helicopter from the Statue of Liberty torch platform almost made me throw up at the thought of actually doing that.

At least we finally got an explanation of what the sad dark haired man portrait painting was about.

The 30 minute retrospective only reminded us of how great the writing sometimes was and how much funnier the show used to be in the past. Oh well...another season pass to delete off the DVR
Old 04-23-20, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, that stunk. I too was surprised we didn't get the typical chaotic sitcom birth of Grace's kid (or Will's). The Statue of Liberty stuff was horrible (so was the green screen). Lorraine's role felt forced and was totally unnecessary. I was hoping McCoy would return and he'd reunite with Will, but we were kind of left hanging after their run in. Why end the series that way rather than giving Will a definitive happy ending? Grace got married once. Why not let Will finally do it? The retrospective special reminded me how funny the original series was and how pathetic the reboot was. Watching everyone laugh at the jokes at the table read was unbelievable and maddening because they weren't funny.
Old 04-23-20, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

They put zero effort into that finale. You could tell they just wanted to get it over with.
Old 04-26-20, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...170020148.html

Sorry guys, but viewership decided this for you. The reboot/revival was a disaster. The show and ratings terrible. Every person I know that loved the original hated this and tuned out a long time ago. It's so sad because the original was a classic. Many laugh out memories. This had zero.