Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Game of Thrones -- Season 8 news, rumors, casting, etc.

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 09-26-17, 11:54 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

The final six episodes of Game of Thrones are gearing up for production, and now we know who will be leading the charge in the upcoming last stand against the White Walkers.

HBO has revealed the names of the directors for the eighth and final season of Game of Thrones, all of whom are incredibly well known quantities within the context of the series: Miguel Sapochnik, David Nutter, and creators and showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss. Sources say Benioff and Weiss are directing the series finale.

For his part, Sapochnik should require no introduction when it comes to his association with Game of Thrones. The director has been responsible for helming some of the most impressive episodes of the series, including season five's riveting "Hardhome" and the back-to-back powerhouse final two hours of season six, "Battle of the Bastards" and "The Winds of Winter." Sapochnik was absent from the seventh season of Thrones.

Nutter, meanwhile, has six previous Game of Thrones credits to his name, the most notable of which is what many consider to be the high point of the series: "The Rains of Castamere," season three's infamous Red Wedding episode. Additionally, Nutter's Thrones catalog includes the final two episodes of season five, "The Dance of Dragons" and "Mother's Mercy," which means he's not just the man who oversaw the death of Robb Stark (Richard Madden) but also the temporary death of Lord Commander Jon Snow (Kit Harington).

Entering the six-episode final season of the series, the stakes have never been higher for the denizens of Westeros and even the realms beyond. In the season seven finale, the Night King and his Army of the Dead broke through to the Seven Kingdoms after years and years of threatening their assault, finally able to cross through the great Wall thanks to a brand-new asset on their side: Viserion, one of Daenerys Targaryen's (Emilia Clarke) dragons, killed during the events of "Beyond the Wall" and brought back to unholy life in that same episode. As if the White Walkers needed any further advantages in their war against the living, now the Night King can count on a resurrected fire-breathing beast as his steed.

Of course, the White Walkers have their work cut out for them as they barrel toward a veritable who's-who of the best warriors Westeros has to offer: Jon Snow, the King in the North, the secret son of Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark; Daenerys Targaryen, Mother of Dragons and Breaker of Chains, among a thousand other titles; Jaime Lannister (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau), the Kingslayer and would-be dragonslayer; and Sandor Clegane (Rory McCann), the Hound, who slugged it out with the Night King's wights and lived to tell the tale, just to name a few.

All that said, the war within humanity's own ranks remains alive and well, thanks to the pettiness of Queen Cersei Lannister (Lena Headey), who is unwilling to truly commit to the battle against the dead. In the final episode of season seven, Cersei sent her lieutenant (and quasi-fiancé) Euron Greyjoy (Pilou Asbaek) off to Essos in order to recruit the Golden Company, a sellsword organization she plans to use to wipe out Jon, Daenerys and their allies. If only Cersei could take a cue from Davos Seaworth (Liam Cunningham), who wisely and rightly pointed out an obvious fact in season seven: "If we don't put aside our enmities and bound together, we will die, and then it won't matter whose skeleton sits on the Iron Throne."

The war for the Iron Throne, which may very well include an army of sentient skeletons if the Night King reaches King's Landing, will come to an end in the eighth and final season of Game of Thrones, expected in late 2018 at the earliest.

Keep checking THR.com/GameOfThrones to follow along with all of our podcasts, interviews, deep dives and more between now and the show's final season.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...ectors-1043020
Old 09-26-17, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones -- Season 8 news, rumors, casting, etc.

I think the big question is if Winds of Winter will come out before the final season.

I'm leaning on a NO.
Old 09-27-17, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I think the big question is if Winds of Winter will come out before the final season.
As far as the show is concerned, I can't see that being any more than trivia information at this point. There was a time when having more material from GRRM to provide a blueprint for how the story should move forward would have been beneficial, but we've long passed that point.

We got GRRM's Major Points notes and a story largely fleshed out towards the end by different minds than the one that envisioned and created it. The ships have sailed.
Old 09-27-17, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Winds of Winter will come out around the same time the Cleveland Browns win a superbowl.
Old 09-28-17, 08:51 AM

“Game of Thrones” is gearing up for production on its final season this October, which means tidbits about the six-episode Season 8 are finally rolling in. HBO has already revealed the directors list for the series’ remaining episodes, which includes Miguel Sapochnik (“Battle of the Bastards”) and David Nutter (“The Rains of Castamere”). Considering the final season needs to include massive battles between the living and the dead, it makes sense the show has called up two of its most epic directors. But what are the budgets these directors will be working with? The answer is a huge one.

Variety reports each episode of “Game of Thrones” Season 8 will cost at least $15 million, a price tag that could skyrocket even higher depending on re-shoots and additional VFX work. The number means HBO will spending $90 million or more on the final season.

Each episode is reportedly going to be feature-length, so while the episode count may be the shortest in the franchise’s history, we may end up getting just as much screen time. The longest “Thrones” episode (the Season 7 finale) ran just shy of 80 minutes, but each Season 8 entry is expected to run longer.

The $15 million budget for each episode is way above recent big TV spenders like Netflix’s “The Crown” and “The Get Down,” both of which had episodes hovering around the $10 million price tag. “Thrones” episodes in the past have also been estimated at around $10 million each. The expensive cost more or less means more dragons, more White Walker showdowns, and hopefully more direwolves. We’re a long way from the first two seasons, where Benioff and Weiss couldn’t show battles in full because they didn’t have a budget for them.

“Game of Thrones” Season 8 is expected to premiere in 2018 or even early 2019.
http://www.indiewire.com/2017/09/gam...et-1201881367/
Old 09-28-17, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

Not sure it is all that shocking that each episode will cost 50% more when the length of each episode is 50% longer. $90 million for 6 episodes/10 hours is actually cheaper than $100 million for 10 episodes/10 hours. So I'm not sure how they draw a bunch of conclusions about what this means will be in the episodes based on these numbers.
Old 10-09-17, 11:11 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 245 Likes on 185 Posts

Cast is starting to arrive in Belfast with production beginning soon.

One interesting person that has been spotted given how last year ended is
Spoiler:
Kristofer Hivju who playes Tormund
Old 10-09-17, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 546 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by MrX
Cast is starting to arrive in Belfast with production beginning soon.

One interesting person that has been spotted given how last year ended is
Spoiler:
Kristofer Hivju who playes Tormund
Still don't understand why people would have ever thought he was dead in the first place. They don't kill off popular characters off screen and then don't mention it.
Old 12-07-17, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

http://ew.com/tv/2017/12/07/game-thr...tainmentweekly

Sophie Turner says the final season won't air until 2019.

They are currently filming through summer 2018. Then there's post production.
Old 12-07-17, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen
Still don't understand why people would have ever thought he was dead in the first place. They don't kill off popular characters off screen and then don't mention it.
Plus, he's the onscreen visual representation of the
Spoiler:
wildlings
To get rid of him would be to basically get rid of all of them like how Ellaria Sand's capture represented the defeat of the entire Dornish Army, even though almost none of them were there or killed.
Old 01-04-18, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

HBO has confirmed the final season will air in 2019.
Old 04-10-18, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 801 Likes on 591 Posts

They spent 55 days shooting one battle for season 8. http://tvline.com/2018/04/10/game-of...-battle-shoot/
Old 04-10-18, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

I'm really torn. I have all seasons except 7 on Blu-Ray. I don't know whether to get it or just sell all of the ones I own (I have HBONow but really dig the extras) and wait for the inevitable ultimate gift set down the road. I don't splurge on gift sets that often, but this is probably the best fantasy series in the history of TV (maybe of any visual medium).
Old 11-01-18, 02:07 PM

The end of Game of Thrones: An exclusive report on the epic final season
https://ew.com/tv/2018/11/01/game-of...w-cover-story/
Old 11-01-18, 02:29 PM

It also sounds like HBO has their hands full deciding which of the 5 possible prequels to go with since they say they're only going to do 1 of them. Martin has so many stories out there before Fire and Ice that most any could be developed.
Old 11-02-18, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by barelypure
It also sounds like HBO has their hands full deciding which of the 5 possible prequels to go with since they say they're only going to do 1 of them. Martin has so many stories out there before Fire and Ice that most any could be developed.

Not sure what gave you that idea, since they already have a title and have started casting for it. Quote from GRRM, after the Naomi Watts casting was confirmed, "I could not be more excited. Welcome to Westeros, Naomi. Jane Goldman scripted the LONG NIGHT pilot and will be running the show. She and her team are busy in London right now, neck deep in casting, and I expect some more names will be announced soon."
Old 11-02-18, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,242 Likes on 827 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I'm really torn. I have all seasons except 7 on Blu-Ray. I don't know whether to get it or just sell all of the ones I own (I have HBONow but really dig the extras) and wait for the inevitable ultimate gift set down the road. I don't splurge on gift sets that often, but this is probably the best fantasy series in the history of TV (maybe of any visual medium).
I have a UK box set with the first 6 seasons. I'm almost done (I'm at S6 E8) so I'm hoping for BF sale on S7. I paid $100 for the first 6 seasons, I'm not paying $50 for S7.
Old 11-13-18, 09:08 AM

The final season of Game of Thrones returns in April.

<iframe width="668" height="376" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0MGnIUn30FU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 11-13-18, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 374 Likes on 272 Posts

hmmmmm that was a strange teaser. Was there anything new? Still really nice to know when it will come back...
Old 11-13-18, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 374 Likes on 272 Posts

Spot on review by the onion...

https://entertainment.theonion.com/n...nJiWdDdscCJRv4
Old 11-13-18, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 184 Likes on 128 Posts

I'm a huge fan of the books and series but the writing in season 7 was so bad that I just want it to end. the only thing I'm really looking forward to is CLEGANEBOWL.
Old 01-07-19, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,150 Likes on 1,213 Posts

A very brief sneak peak in this new HBO original series trailer. Basically, Sansa, Jon and Daenerys together at Winterfell:

I guess it was possible that they never make it to Winterfell considering the Night King breach of the wall, but I don't think the fact that they do will come as a surprise to anyone.
Old 01-07-19, 10:30 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 889 Likes on 752 Posts

oh man did i get chills and GoT was the weakest part. loved it all...
Old 01-08-19, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Great time to do another GOT rewatch binge. HBO subscriptions are going to be through the roof with GOT and other series like Watchmen this year. Now if they would only do a big budget Marvel series.
Old 01-08-19, 11:57 AM

I'm looking forward to Zombie Jofferey

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.