DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Re: Scorpion (CBS) -- Season 4 Thread -- Premieres 9/25/17

All 4 seasons are on CBS All Access.
Old 12-03-18, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Yep, outside of the heavy hitters like Big Bang Theory, Friends, Seinfeld, etc., I'd imagine streaming has pretty much fucked the traditional syndication deals.
Old 12-04-18, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Yep, outside of the heavy hitters like Big Bang Theory, Friends, Seinfeld, etc., I'd imagine streaming has pretty much fucked the traditional syndication deals.
Most likely this is the case.

Back in the day around 10-15 years ago, a 2nd tier procedural network tv show might have got a decent off-network syndication deal such as "Without A Trace" or "Cold Case". (I use to watch both shows in reruns back in the mid-late 2000s).

In the end, it turned out "Without a Trace" ended up being a complete write-off for TNT in 2010.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...il-write-20259

TNT tried rolling the dice again with The Mentalist and the Hawaii Five-0 reboot syndications, just to do another huge writeoff in 2014.

https://deadline.com/2017/01/tv-proc...ks-1201875545/
https://variety.com/2014/tv/news/tur...ty-1201332946/
Old 12-04-18, 12:04 AM

Once burned twice shy, nowadays it wouldn't be too surprising to see recent/current 2nd tier procedural shows not getting any decent syndication deals at all.

Scorpion is probably one of the first reflections of this new syndication market climate.

IIRC, the last few CBS shows which got a decent syndication deal were ones like Person of Interest (WGN), Elementary (WGN), The Good Wife (Hallmark), etc ...
Old 12-04-18, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 213 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by morriscroy
Most likely this is the case.

Back in the day around 10-15 years ago, a 2nd tier procedural network tv show might have got a decent off-network syndication deal such as "Without A Trace" or "Cold Case". (I use to watch both shows in reruns back in the mid-late 2000s).

In the end, it turned out "Without a Trace" ended up being a complete write-off for TNT in 2010.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...il-write-20259

[/url]
I had a brief interest in "Cold Case" and was watching the reruns, but I frankly got tired of the digital tinkering, -speed-up, slow-down, and the usual deleted scenes, -that they became frustrating to watch.
Old 12-04-18, 03:08 PM

The most surprising case of no-syndication-deal for a current long running show, is Chicago Fire which is currently in season 7.

(Chicago PD got a syndication deal last year).

Not entirely sure why this is the case.

https://onechicagocenter.com/2018/08...e-syndication/
https://deadline.com/2017/12/chicago...on-1202229180/
https://deadline.com/2017/09/chicago...es-1202174854/
Old 12-05-18, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by DWilson
I had a brief interest in "Cold Case" and was watching the reruns, but I frankly got tired of the digital tinkering, -speed-up, slow-down, and the usual deleted scenes, -that they became frustrating to watch.
How common were scenes deleted in the reruns?

I only ever really watched the original first-run broadcasts for the final two seasons or so of Cold Case. (I don't think I have ever seen any reruns for the final two seasons).
Old 12-05-18, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How common were scenes deleted in the reruns?

I only ever really watched the original first-run broadcasts for the final two seasons or so of Cold Case. (I don't think I have ever seen any reruns for the final two seasons).
Honestly, having only seen certain early seasons in syndication it's hard to know if the episodes were actually cut. They were definitely tinkered with, -voices would be pitched a little different (sped up and/or slowed down*) and certain movements would look unnatural. Since they did what they could to increase ad time (there would be a couple of huge blocks they would have to accommodate, I just assume they took out "unnecessary" scenes, too. I eventually burned out on "Cold Case" and didn't finish the repeats or first run.

* Shows are slowed down to fill out the slot after they've cut out a block of scenes.
Old 12-06-18, 06:30 AM

Honestly, having only seen certain early seasons in syndication it's hard to know if the episodes were actually cut. They were definitely tinkered with, -voices would be pitched a little different (sped up and/or slowed down*) and certain movements would look unnatural. Since they did what they could to increase ad time (there would be a couple of huge blocks they would have to accommodate ...
This would make sense. Delete enough extraneous scenes and do a slight speedup to get another 30, 60, 90, 120, etc .... seconds for advertising.

... I just assume they took out "unnecessary" scenes, too.

* Shows are slowed down to fill out the slot after they've cut out a block of scenes.
Outside of pal->ntsc slowdowns (ie. cramming 25fps into 24fps), I would be quite surprised if broadcasters bothered to even do such a "slowdown".

I would have thought they would just play more tv commercials in such "empty blocks" from deleted scens.
Old 12-06-18, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This would make sense. Delete enough extraneous scenes and do a slight speedup to get another 30, 60, 90, 120, etc .... seconds for advertising.

Outside of pal->ntsc slowdowns (ie. cramming 25fps into 24fps), I would be quite surprised if broadcasters bothered to even do such a "slowdown".

I would have thought they would just play more tv commercials in such "empty blocks" from deleted scens.
I'm currently finishing up "Last Man Standing" on WGN which seem fairly intact; CMT also shows episodes, but crops "the tag" at the end. Of course credit rolls on anything syndicated, -sitcoms, dramas, movies, - are virtually non-existent or are "corner-boxed" and sped up to be unreadable.
I've dropped in on the occasional syndicated episode of "The Simpsons" on a local channel, and the very familiar voices were clearly pitched wrong because of "speed up".
Old 12-06-18, 02:32 PM

I eventually burned out on "Cold Case" and didn't finish the repeats or first run.
My "reruns burnout" from that same time period was "Without A Trace". I didn't really burn out on "Cold Case".

By the time WarnerArchive released the remaining dvd season sets of "Without A Trace", I largely didn't care anymore by then and didn't bother buying any of the dvd sets. Though awhile ago I found a copy of season 1 for $2 at a thrift shop, and tried watching it again. It was too difficult to watch again for me.

At this point I'm not going to bother buying Scorpion on dvd (or bluray).
Old 12-06-18, 02:36 PM

At this point the only upcoming complete series dvd set I might pick up, would probably be Criminal Minds. I kinda miss watching the daily reruns on aetv, after they dropped them awhile ago.

I had the first two seasons on dvd (and another random later season), but stopped buying the dvd sets many years ago. At the time, I didn't see any point in buying them when I could just watch the daily reruns on aetv.