Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Star Trek: Discovery (CBS All-Access) -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 9/24/17

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-17, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Discovery (CBS All-Access) -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 9/24/17

Originally Posted by PatD
Bingo. This is why I'm pretty much done with Modern Star Trek. You know why they can't do a post-DS9/VGR/Nemesis Star Trek? Because that would take VISION. They would take actual world-building, and a philosophy to guide the stories. It's safer to do prequels, rebooting familiar territory, and mine nostalgia than build something new. It would be daring to do something optimistic and go against the grain of the ungodly plethora dark, bleak programming and no current show runner has the balls to do that. Star Trek used to make its own rules and follow its own course. Now, it just wants to be one of the crowd. So, I'm content to watch my TOS and TNG Blu rays and rather than fund something that's more of the same.
The problem with that though is that I can't fully blame CBS for going a different direction. Modern day TV audiences demand that. In a post Soprano world (Even though all us Star Trek fans know DS9 did it first) demand a darker tone with an overarching story. Everything is getting darker. Look at Superman and Batman. So I'm not entirely sure audiences would go for it. Especially if they are trying to capture a new audience (which again makes no sense why they'd hide it behind a paywall). And that is why in A LOT of ways Orville is more like Star Trek then STD is.

But all that being said I absolutely adore Star Trek and want it to succeed so we get new stories even though they won't be like our "old" beloved Star Trek.
Old 10-09-17, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Discovery (CBS All-Access) -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 9/24/17

Originally Posted by Draven
Thought the 4th episode was fantastic. I LOVE the look of the series - the spinning saucer for their spore drive is an awesome touch. Looks like a ton of money is going into this one.

I'm also really enjoying the science-turned-war vessel idea. These are the early days - the Wild West version of what Starfleet will eventually become. I've said before that there are plenty of post-utopia Trek stories out there. I am ready for the down and dirty origin stuff.
Fully agree. Now this is Star Trek! Reminded me of "The Devil In The Dark" episode of TOS, with a gigantic budget. Every one of the characters is getting nicely fleshed out, and one of them is already dead! (And will be missed by no one.) Great story, amazing visuals, classic Trek themes.

And can we talk about that intro with the lightning storm on an alien planet that turns out to be a microscopic glimpse of the synthesizer (replicator) in action? I immediately rewound to watch it again. Now there's something we've never seen before.
Old 10-09-17, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Akiva Goldsman Defends "Darkness" of Star Trek: Discovery

Ours is a story of redemption. Ours is the origin of the feeling that is TOS. That's why we are 10 years before TOS. But we don't start there. We get there. The name of the show is Discovery not by accident. It is how these people discover who they are and, as a representation of the personal, how the Federation reaffirms what it is.
http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/star-...trek-discovery
Old 10-09-17, 05:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

I like the journey of how we get to the TOS/TNG world from where we are today. It's one thing to present a world that says humanity has evolved into loving, tolerant creatures and it's another thing to show how that happens.

Loved the fourth episode and it seems we have an answer to why we've never heard of this propulsion system. I'll miss the recently deceased character but yeah, that death was deserved.
Old 10-09-17, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm pretty much a fan of this show, but the Elon Musk line got a pretty huge eye-roll outta me.
Old 10-09-17, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Good 4th episode. It was nice seeing Captain Georgiou (Yeoh) back even as a hologram.

Her gift to Michael (the telescope) was a nice touch. But, Michael probably feels like it's not deserved.

The Discovery coming in to rescue that colony from the Klingon attack did feel a little anti-climatic.

But yeah, too many Klingon dialogue scenes with subtitles.

Was surprised that they killed off:

Spoiler:

Commander Landry

But, she was kind of a bitch to Michael.

Old 10-09-17, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

4th episode was great. Loved the giant six legged thing. Going to miss BSG lady. She should have been nicer to giant bear thing. I doubt they will have the creature for long. Looks like they can't jump without hurting it.
Old 10-09-17, 03:31 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fielding Mellish
I'm pretty much a fan of this show, but the Elon Musk line got a pretty huge eye-roll outta me.
Given what Musk may end up doing for Puerto Rico, who’s to say he didn’t invent transparent aluminum and thus deserve to be included in that list :-). Plus, gotta go to Mars first before exploring the rest of the galaxy.
Old 10-09-17, 06:01 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Fielding Mellish
Yep. I was thinking to myself that Elon Musk couldn't have existed in the Trek universe. But why not revise that too...
Old 10-09-17, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

I'm liking this show more than I'm not, but Ep 4 was probably the weakest. Very ridiculous way to kill off a character - how stupid can you get?

The biggest stumbling block for me is the Klingons, and I LOVE TNG/TOS Klingons. Two big flaws - way over the top makeup that makes they all look like salamanders, and the decision to subtitle ALL the Klingon dialogue rather than dub it. You can't emote in Klingon really and the dialogue would work way better spoken, especially as they're getting into rather intricate discussions. I generally like the angle they're taking with the Klingons and the culture but the execution of it I'm finding very lacking.

I do love Lorca and how ambiguous they're making him, a refreshing change of pace for a Star Trek captain. I just wish some of the characters other than him, Saru and Michael had made any kind of impression so far.
Old 10-10-17, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This was the best episode thus far. Redemption arc of Michael is shaping up to be interesting. But they have been inconsistent with the rules for that creature. They say it only kills in response to aggression. Yet he killed the Klingon when he had his back to it. Plus what aggression were they showing it when it was trying to break through the door.

Originally Posted by DJariya
Good 4th episode. It was nice seeing Captain Georgiou (Yeoh) back even as a hologram.

Her gift to Michael (the telescope) was a nice touch. But, Michael probably feels like it's not deserved.

The Discovery coming in to rescue that colony from the Klingon attack did feel a little anti-climatic.

But yeah, too many Klingon dialogue scenes with subtitles.

Was surprised that they killed off:

Spoiler:

Commander Landry

But, she was kind of a bitch to Michael.

I hate every scene with the Klingons an this is one of the reasons. The other is how the actors are delivering the Klingon dialogue. I don't know if its the makeup or what. But they all sound like they are struggling to speak. Like they just learned this language 2 days ago.
Old 10-10-17, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Really enjoy the show, but agree that the Klingon scenes are the weakest. I don't like the line delivery, and they've completely bleached away their undeniable, endearing charm: bravado, arrogance, lustiness, occasional silliness, etc. They are much more "alien" now, which was a noble effort but something was definitely lost in the translation.

For fuck's sake, give them some hair at least.
Old 10-11-17, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I miss bug-eyed Gowron and lust-for-life Martok so much! Fuck these nu-Klingons, who can barely enunciate.

I'm assuming nobody lives on the outer part of the saucer section? Because inertial dampers be damned, you're going to fly into a bulkhead when that carnival ride starts to spin!
Old 10-11-17, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Defiant1
I'm assuming nobody lives on the outer part of the saucer section? Because inertial dampers be damned, you're going to fly into a bulkhead when that carnival ride starts to spin!
Look at the scene again, the whole thing isn't spinning, just a layer on top. You can see that the lights are stationary.
Old 10-11-17, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Look at the scene again, the whole thing isn't spinning, just a layer on top. You can see that the lights are stationary.
Ah yes, you are correct!
Old 10-12-17, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Caught up with the last two episodes and while a big improvement over the opener, it still feels like a missed opportunity. It’s getting smarter, and feeling more like Trek, but it still doesn’t feel like ten years before TOS. This could easily have been done post Nemesis.

I am glad we have The Orville as a companion show - it has the heart and optimism that Discovery doesn’t yet have.
Old 10-13-17, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

This 4th episode was great. Love the creature, glad that bitch Commander is dead. LOVED the way the ship looked when it spun to transport -- and I guess that creature is sort of a map or GPS system?

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 10-13-17 at 10:06 AM.
Old 10-13-17, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thinking about it more, it reminds me of the guild navigators from Dune. Big ugly creatures in tanks full of floating stuff that can fold space.

And I'm definitely getting vibes of that Voyager episode where the other ship (the Equinox I believe) was squishing space critters as a fuel source and Janeway had to shut them down. That will explain why we don't see it in TOS.
Old 10-13-17, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Thinking about it more, it reminds me of the guild navigators from Dune. Big ugly creatures in tanks full of floating stuff that can fold space.

And I'm definitely getting vibes of that Voyager episode where the other ship (the Equinox I believe) was squishing space critters as a fuel source and Janeway had to shut them down. That will explain why we don't see it in TOS.
Yeah, I was thinking of the Guild Navigators as well.

Yeah, no way will the Federation allow creatures to be enslaved just to make ships travel. I'm also guessing there will be some sort of harsh side effects to prolonged exposure that prevent the Klingons, Romulans, and every other warp-capable civilization from using spore drive.
Old 10-13-17, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Defiant1
Yeah, I was thinking of the Guild Navigators as well.

Yeah, no way will the Federation allow creatures to be enslaved just to make ships travel. I'm also guessing there will be some sort of harsh side effects to prolonged exposure that prevent the Klingons, Romulans, and every other warp-capable civilization from using spore drive.
Maybe one of the side-effects will be that it "shakes" the timeline ever so slightly, just enough to fix the Klingons and give Starfleet the right uniforms/bridge designs

Spoiler:
Old 10-15-17, 10:44 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

And with episode 5 we get a few f-bombs. Classy CBS. Classy.
Old 10-15-17, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

So, the last scene. The music got creepy like I was supposed to be seeing something weird in the mirror, but I didn’t see anything off. Did I miss something there?
And hearing “fuck” on ST just feels wrong.
Old 10-15-17, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

"beam me the fuck up, Scottie"

"live long and fucking prosper"

"Ill-fucking-logical"
Old 10-15-17, 11:25 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
So, the last scene. The music got creepy like I was supposed to be seeing something weird in the mirror, but I didn’t see anything off. Did I miss something there?
Yeah, the guy in the mirror had already left the room... once.

Creepy is right.
Old 10-16-17, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,280 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
Yeah I believe they wanted to show he's out of phase - as a consequence of what he did.

I'm having trouble staying interested in this series.. I'm watching it but I keep catching myself checking email or whatever and having to re-focus. I usually don't do that.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.