Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Star Trek: Discovery (CBS All-Access) -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 9/24/17

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-17, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,734 Likes on 1,887 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Discovery (CBS All-Access) -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 9/24/17

"I'm going to fuck that green bitch!"

"I'm a fucking Doctor, not a fucking brick layer."

"He's fucking dead, Jim."

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the fucking few."

"FFFFFUUUUUUCCCCCKKKKKK!!!!!!"
Old 10-16-17, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Discovery (CBS All-Access) -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 9/24/17

That F-word scene was so incredibly stupid and off-brand for Star Trek that it knocked the entire episode down a few pegs for me. Was that necessary AT ALL? It's like watching your grandmother try to twerk or something. I don't mind swearing but it just felt so out of place there and gratuitous.

I really want to like this show and it's doing a lot of things differently that I admire, but it also seems to have at least 1-3 really stupid things per episode that jolt me out of it.
Old 10-16-17, 03:19 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

I thought it was pretty good except for the swearing.

Hey, they managed to fit "All Access" in there. Drink!!!
Old 10-16-17, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I enjoyed this episode a bit more than the past ones. Tilly was entertaining and adds a bit of light in this "dark and broody" star trek show. regardless of the f bomb
Old 10-16-17, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Since they're going in an R-rated direction, I want some nudity from green Orion women. Always wanted to know if the carpet matched the drapes.
Old 10-16-17, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Considering that Starfleet is initially basically the military and we aren’t that far away from modern times, an f-bomb or two doesn’t really seem out of place.

Really enjoyed the latest ep- I love the “weirdness” of the whole series. It’s a refreshing take on the Star Trek formula.
Old 10-16-17, 11:45 PM
Banned

Isn't there an occasional swear in the Trek movies?
Old 10-16-17, 11:53 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
Not really, just a few "colorful metaphors."
Old 10-17-17, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,280 Likes on 731 Posts

They could have come up with a different character instead of using Mudd although I guess this should be considered background for him before Kirk. Still I think Dwight, er I mean Rainn, plays him pretty well.
Old 10-17-17, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Not really, just a few "colorful metaphors."
Data says "oh shit!" when the Enterprise is about to crash-land in Star Trek Generations. I remember the theatre erupting in laughter when that happened.

Lily also says "bullshit!" and "you sonofabitch" to Picard in Star Trek: First Contact.
Old 10-17-17, 08:58 AM

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Originally Posted by Defiant1
Data says "oh shit!" when the Enterprise is about to crash-land in Star Trek Generations. I remember the theatre erupting in laughter when that happened.
I still contend that excellent moment when Data says, "Oh, shit!" is the only reason Star Trek: Generations was made as a theatrical film instead of a two-part TV series finale.
Old 10-21-17, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Finally watched Choose Your Pain today. Not only was Real Life getting in the way, I’m also at the point where I don’t care about it that much.

I really hate to say this, but this show isn’t that great. The look of the uniforms and the ships and the Klingons were a poor way to start the show off, but it could have been excused if the story had been on-point and it simply isn’t. It’s a neat idea, using the creature and the mushrooms and whatnot, but I’m just not digging it.

I’m so disappointed in this show. It’s got a great cast and crew but it’s being squandered on something so pointless and out of place.

Extremely fucking glad I’m not paying for the All Access nonsense. (Yes, the F bomb was poorly done - I’m not offended by the word, I’m offended at how poorly it was shoehorned into the show to make it edgy.)
Old 10-22-17, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone else having problems playing tonight's episode? Mine plays for a few seconds and keeps spinning. I am paying for this service. Should not have to put up with this. Emailed customer service, they said someone will contact me "shortly". That was about 15 minutes ago.
Old 10-23-17, 05:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

I had problems with the last 15 minutes of the episode, the feed kept dropping out. It came back and I was able to finish it. I really liked this episode, technical difficulties not withstanding.
Old 10-23-17, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So Admiral Chicago Hope is toast, right? If she gets killed, then Captain Psycho gets to stay in command because presumably, nobody at Starfleet HQ except her knows how batshit he really is.
Old 10-23-17, 08:42 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Renewed: http://deadline.com/2017/10/star-tre...edium=facebook
Old 10-23-17, 05:14 PM
Banned

Why was there another Vulcan in Starfleet in this week's episode? I thought Spock was the first and only Vulcan in Starfleet during TOS?
Old 10-23-17, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by Upper pylon 3
Anyone else having problems playing tonight's episode? Mine plays for a few seconds and keeps spinning. I am paying for this service. Should not have to put up with this. Emailed customer service, they said someone will contact me "shortly". That was about 15 minutes ago.
Ours was unwatchable. Jumping back, freezing, crashing. We postponed until tonight and it played perfectly. CBS needs to get their shit together - sounds like it was a widespread problem.
Old 10-24-17, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Why was there another Vulcan in Starfleet in this week's episode? I thought Spock was the first and only Vulcan in Starfleet during TOS?
Nope, that was never, ever said. It's one of those fandom things used to make Spock seem special.

Also, there's an episode of TOS that mentions a Starfleet ship, completely crewed by Vulcan's being destroyed.
Now, some of them could have been transferred from the Vulcan Expeditionary Group and given equivalent Starfleet ranks.

Anyways.

We watched "Lethe" last night and I was stunned at how much better this was than any previous episode. As in, this is the first episode that really felt like a Trek series instead of some generic sci-fi series trying to copy Trek.

Creating explanations for previous lore can be tricky, but
Spoiler:
explaining that Sarek was mad at Spock for so long because Spock squandered that Vulcan Expeditionary Group admission slot that could have gone to Michael was just fantastic. And the new Amanda actually seemed to have a bit of Jane Wyatt's eyes in certain shots.
And Captain Lorca and Admiral Cornwall taking off their insignia and getting extra-cozy is definitely out of the TOS era.
Old 10-24-17, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

I am enjoying the show. I am not as fanatical about Star Trek as others here who prefer the Orville, but I like both shows for different reasons.
Old 10-24-17, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Nope, that was never, ever said. It's one of those fandom things used to make Spock seem special.

Also, there's an episode of TOS that mentions a Starfleet ship, completely crewed by Vulcan's being destroyed.
Now, some of them could have been transferred from the Vulcan Expeditionary Group and given equivalent Starfleet ranks.
[/spoiler]
I don't think we ever saw any members of Starfleet on TOS who weren't human other than Spock.

The animated series introduced M'Ress and Arex to the crew, and in the movies we saw aliens serving aboard the Enterprise and an alien serving as President of the Federation, but I don't recall any non-humans other than Spock serving in Starfleet during TOS.

The Intrepid seems to be an anomoly, and really only served as a plot device for Spock to sense their deaths.

Garth of Izar might have been an alien; I think he made a commemt about Earthmen or something that a human probably wouldn't make, though Izar could have been a human colony.
Old 10-24-17, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

As soon as the admiral started talking about removing the captain from command I knew something was going to happen to her.

It's bad enough that ST5 brought in a previously unknown, even in universe tot he characters, half brother of Spock but now we get not only a human adoptive older sister but Sarek taught her the ways of the force I mean Vulcan mysticism.
Old 10-25-17, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mikehunt
As soon as the admiral started talking about removing the captain from command I knew something was going to happen to her.

It's bad enough that ST5 brought in a previously unknown, even in universe tot he characters, half brother of Spock but now we get not only a human adoptive older sister but Sarek taught her the ways of the force I mean Vulcan mysticism.
The only reason I don't hate Michael being shoe-horned in as a foster sibling is the fact that ST5 already did it once.

Plus, going all the way back to TOS, I'm pretty sure Journey to Babel (Sarek's first episode) drops the bombshell that the super-famous Ambassador Sarek, who happens to have a human wife, is Spock's father (the human woman his mother), despite it being previously known that Spock had human ancestry? Trek is well known for these kinds of "revelations", so it really doesn't bother me that much.

And there's a theory going around that says Lorca
Spoiler:
was replaced in the prison with a genetically modified Klingon. That would explain the scars, and his change of behavior, like not immediately going to rescue the Admiral

This would be a great tie-in to TOS in my view.
Old 10-30-17, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Overall, last night's episode was pretty fun. It was the most standalone episode so far. I think a serialized show with some standalone bottle shows every now and then is a good formula for Star Trek.

The time loop episode is a time-honoured tradition in Trek. I think every series has done at least one of them, and was even the major plot point for several of the movies. I liked the way DSC approached it by not going on too much with excessive Treknobabble.

Some random critiques though:
- Those purple marble dark matter weapons didn't look that they cause horrific and agonizing pain as claimed by Mudd. Neither Tyler or Burnham screamed out and they died in mere seconds. I was expecting something long and tortuous.

- Seeing Lorca die repeatedly in multiple ways in that montage was fun. I never really thought of using transporters as weapons to send people into space. Wonder why the baddies of Trek didn't do this? People were always threatening to eject people out the nearest airlock though, so I guess that was the cheaper method.

- There are several members of the bridge crew who are there every episode, but hardly ever speak. There's Keyla (the red head with the Cressida/Hunger Games haircut), the black & white cyborg, and the black helmswoman, among others. I always wonder if the actors are just happy to have a job, or if they're bored out of their skulls doing basically nothing.

- I'm going to be in the minority opinion on this, but I'm not crazy with Rainn Wilson as Mudd. I think he's trying WAAAY too hard to be DSC's version of Q. The theatrical accent and overall performance is just too over-the-top.

- Loved the party scene! Wyclef Jean is still popular 240 years in the future, apparently, but I will take that to the snoozefests that passed as parties in Ten Forward.

- Is every episode going to have Michael as the prime focus? All of the later Trek series were ensembles and had plenty of episodes devoted to the supporting characters. DS9 even had episodes where the recurring cast were the leads.

Last edited by Defiant1; 10-30-17 at 01:48 PM.
Old 10-30-17, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

Two good episodes in a row and we learn that Wyclef and Al Green exist in future!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.