Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Star Trek: Discovery (CBS All-Access) -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 9/24/17

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-17, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Discovery (CBS All-Access) -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 9/24/17

I haven't watched yet but all these big action packed moments I'm reading about don't sound like Star Trek to me. It sounds more like CBS trying to make a science fiction series with the name but trying to amp it up because non geeks don't watch Star Trek. Also not a fan of the anything goes mentality regarding characters. It sounds like the creators want to treat it as if the fate of characters can be up in the air like it's Game of Thrones or something. Again very much not like Trek as the shows are heavily character based and follow whatever current crew. I watched a reaction video from a channel I follow on YouTube and both guys are big fans. They basically have said its not terrible but feels more like a generic science fiction show than it does traditional Trek which I'm not sure I'm on board with.
Old 09-25-17, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Discovery (CBS All-Access) -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 9/24/17

I only watched it because of Michelle Yeoh. That wimpy alien dude was kind of annoying. How did he ever get into Starfleet? Other than that it was okay.
Old 09-25-17, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PatD
No heart. No sense of wonder. Not even humor.
The binary star system? The dialogue between the crew? None of that did anything for you?
Old 09-25-17, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by PatD
"Encounter at Farpoint" gets ragged on a lot. It's not the strongest story and there are parts that are over the top, BUT it also had a sense of wonder, and a verve that Star Trek: Discovery can't come close to touching. When we're done with "EaF", we know who each of these characters are. Here, most of the characters aren't that well established and I'm not even sure which ones are going to be regulars and and which aren't. And more than that, in "EaF" the human race faces a potential death sentence from a god-being. I "A Vulcan Hello", it's essentially a skirmish in a sector of space. Star Trek: Discovery needs some imagination: pronto.
Yeah, Encounter isn't a top Trek episode by any stretch, but it sets the stage for what's to come (and when All Good Things referenced those events, it was nice to have a story touchstone in place).
Old 09-25-17, 10:54 AM

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by iggystar
The binary star system? The dialogue between the crew? None of that did anything for you?
Not really. I've seen Trek crews hop dimensions, stand up to omnipotent beings, whisked aways to distant parts of the galaxy that took them years to get home and meet life-forms of all kinds (some non-organic). A binary star system really doesn't do anything for me. But, yes, the dialogue was decent.
Old 09-25-17, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,280 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by dstrauss
I mean, go back and watch "Encounter at Farpoint" again and tell me it's not fucking AWFUL. Hell, TNG and DS9 basically sucked for almost the entire first two seasons with a couple minor exceptions. I'm willing to give it a chance.
You can have an premier episode that's good though. I mean let's look at Orville. In about the first 20 minutes you were on the ship, knew who was who, and were ready to explore the galaxy with these people.

2 hours later with this and half the people I've been introduced to are probably dead and there's not a one of them I'd particularly care to hang with at all anyway. Why would anyone like Burnham? She completely ignored orders to "just do a flyby" and did other things in episode 2 (Not wanting to spoil it for those that haven't watched) that there's no way she should have done. At this point I don't even like her character. But, as I said, I'll keep watching and give it time to prove itself.
Old 09-25-17, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
And what's with the tech being even more advanced in looks than the Abrams Trek? They've screwed this thing up so bad on a continuity front that it gets really distracting.
The number of continuity nerds who give a shit is tiny compared to the casual viewers who'd complain, "Other than transporters and warp drive, these ships are less advanced than my house" if they actually replicated the TOS look and feel.

I mean, Kirk needs a Yeoman to come to the bridge and hand him a tablet so he can read a report? Don't they have freaking WiFi on the Enterprise? Why are there physical dials on the consoles instead of digital displays? Why do the tricorders have two inch screens? iPods had better displays than that a decade ago.
Old 09-25-17, 12:05 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by iggystar
You think it's because she was raised by a Vulcan?
Not just any Vulcan - from just the first episode it seems like she was raised by Sarek. If that means that Spock has another half-sibling (adopted maybe?) we never knew about before, that's just awful writing. Completely unnecessary.
Old 09-25-17, 12:19 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
The number of continuity nerds who give a shit is tiny compared to the casual viewers who'd complain, "Other than transporters and warp drive, these ships are less advanced than my house" if they actually replicated the TOS look and feel.

I mean, Kirk needs a Yeoman to come to the bridge and hand him a tablet so he can read a report? Don't they have freaking WiFi on the Enterprise? Why are there physical dials on the consoles instead of digital displays? Why do the tricorders have two inch screens? iPods had better displays than that a decade ago.
This could have easily been avoided by having the show take place post-Nemesis. I don’t know what this fascination is with the chunk of time prior to TOS. Enterprise had some interesting moments that played with the established concepts in TOS, but another show that takes place before TOS seems generally uninteresting from a story standpoint, and then compounds the issue by having the show look nothing like TOS or Enterprise.

It’s been 15 years since the last TNG movie. There’s literally a whole generation of Trek fans who have not experienced a new show or movie that takes place in the “present” of the timeline. This show doesn’t satisfy the thirst for new Trek.

Originally Posted by Bandoman
Not just any Vulcan - from just the first episode it seems like she was raised by Sarek. If that means that Spock has another half-sibling (adopted maybe?) we never knew about before, that's just awful writing. Completely unnecessary.
Unless I missed some dialogue that specified Sarek was specifically raising Bernham, it seemed like he was a mentor to an orphan rather than an adoptive parent.
Old 09-25-17, 12:50 PM
Banned by request

Just finished the first two episodes. I realize this was meant to be a pre-intro to set up the dynamics and scenario that will play out for the rest of the season, but IMO it was awful. I didn’t care about the lead and the whole thing felt very small. The redesigns look even less like Trek than the Abrams movies and the whole feel is just off. I won’t be watching any further episodes.
Old 09-25-17, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Forgot this was on last night.

Does iTunes have it? CBS website has the full episode online?
Old 09-25-17, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
Forgot this was on last night.

Does iTunes have it? CBS website has the full episode online?
Nope.

Provider exclusive.
Old 09-25-17, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
It’s been 15 years since the last TNG movie. There’s literally a whole generation of Trek fans who have not experienced a new show or movie that takes place in the “present” of the timeline. This show doesn’t satisfy the thirst for new Trek.
That was a bothersome point for me when this was first announced. I don't know why we have to go back, -and deal with all the continuity issues, -when you can go forward and do whatever you want. The plot dynamics can change to whatever you need them to be.
Old 09-25-17, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,736 Likes on 1,888 Posts

This could have easily been avoided by having the show take place post-Nemesis. I don’t know what this fascination is with the chunk of time prior to TOS. Enterprise had some interesting moments that played with the established concepts in TOS, but another show that takes place before TOS seems generally uninteresting from a story standpoint, and then compounds the issue by having the show look nothing like TOS or Enterprise.
Agreed.

The problem with prequeling Star Trek is that our own real world technology tends to catch up with the far future tech we see in Trek, at least outside of the "magical" things like transporters and warp drives.

With Trek, it seems like a generally good idea to keep moving forward, and not back.

Star Wars can get away with this because tneir galactic culture is ancient and crosses hundreds (thousands) of species and cultures. It wouldn't surprise me if they were technologically stagnant. It's a hodge-podge of humans and alien cultures, new technology and old technology. Their galaxy is a bit like Earth now, where you have wealthy western nations living in wealth and opulence, and other nations living off our scraps. Trek, on the other hand, is seen from the perspective of Starfleet, and their tech levels stand out.

Unless I missed some dialogue that specified Sarek was specifically raising Bernham, it seemed like he was a mentor to an orphan rather than an adoptive parent.
Guess we'll have to wait and see what the relationship between Michael and Sarek is. I'm sure we'll be seeing more of her past in future episodes.

When this information came out a couple of months ago she was described as being Sarek's adopted daughter.
Old 09-25-17, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

I just finished the first episode, and I thought it was good. Really good, actually. I'm a super casual fan of Trek -- never watch the original series, loved TNG, tolerated DS9, and never watched any after that. The movies are okay, but they're all hit-or-miss.

It's unfortunate that this story seems to be driven by the familiar "smart people doing dumb things" scenario we've seen so much of. I guess I expected more, but whatever. I like the redesigns for the most part, with the exception of the Klingons who are just too much. And it's nice to see a show like this that looks like it's got a respectable budget behind it.
Old 09-25-17, 03:50 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by DWilson
That was a bothersome point for me when this was first announced. I don't know why we have to go back, -and deal with all the continuity issues, -when you can go forward and do whatever you want. The plot dynamics can change to whatever you need them to be.
I was a kid when TNG aired. It turned me into a Star Trek fan and made me go back and check out TOS. I was able to appreciate TOS for what it was because it was in the past of that universe, just like the show was in the real past of my world. If this show hooked me on Trek, and I went to see what comes next, it’d be a crazy leap to go from Discovery to TOS, even if I intellectually understood why it looked and felt so different.
Old 09-25-17, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Even though I will enjoy the new show I want to see the future again. After nemesis. Not sure why they can't do that. Then they can move forward with tech and never have to worry about keep things in line with other shows that come after. (timeline wise)
Old 09-25-17, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Saw the first episode and was pretty much meh. It really didn't feel or look like Star Trek. The production values are amazing though.
Old 09-25-17, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Saw the first episode and was pretty much meh. It really didn't feel or look like Star Trek. The production values are amazing though.
Basically my exact thoughts. I would watch if it were free. But it is not, so fuck off CBS.
Old 09-25-17, 06:54 PM

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

I was actually kind of bored. The story was just so basic and straightforward. No complexity at all. And no character development at all. All paper thin. Meh.
Old 09-25-17, 08:10 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

I loved it. Yes it was set in the past Trek continuity, but it was new and different.

The production values were amazing. I'd put it up there with GoT. Great stuff.
Old 09-25-17, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Found a way to watch the second hour and it was a mistake to split them up for broadcast. A lot more of the story's weight was in that part and brought it up a good bit.

I can see this story taking place in the Prime timeline but the visual changes are still jarring.

But it does seem we're getting a re-telling of the Ensign Ro story. Could be fun if so.

Last edited by milo bloom; 09-25-17 at 10:36 PM.
Old 09-25-17, 08:59 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

visually cool to look at.

the plot was generic.

hate the new look Klingons... aaaaaand it seems pointless to change them up yet again.

hate the 60's Batman tilted screen angles. I was half expecting BAM! POW! ZAP! to come across the screen.

Michelle Yeoh was a disappointment.

I'm sick of prequels... should've put all this time and effort into a Next Next Next Generation... would make the F/X seem appropriate and could even explain the look of the Klingons if you had a real hard on for their new look.

I won't be buying a subscription.
Old 09-25-17, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
CBS screwed up.
1. The show is really good, but I didn’t feel like it really took off until the 2nd episode. They really should have put both parts on tv.
2. Football. I have to wonder how many people missed out on the last 15 minutes because they didn’t pad the dvr.
Yep that's me. The first episode isn't even available on demand. So they had ONE episode available for people to get on board for Trek that was preempted by 60 mins. Screwing DVR users. Great way to find new fans there. F**k CBS
Old 09-26-17, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
Agreed.

I was a kid when TNG aired. It turned me into a Star Trek fan and made me go back and check out TOS. I was able to appreciate TOS for what it was because it was in the past of that universe, just like the show was in the real past of my world. If this show hooked me on Trek, and I went to see what comes next, it’d be a crazy leap to go from Discovery to TOS, even if I intellectually understood why it looked and felt so different.
I saw a handful of episodes of TOS first, but TNG made me a Star Trek fan too. I wouldn't mind the advance in technology appearing prior to the old fashioned tricorders and what-not, but they should have at least kept the colorful uniforms. That would have made the connection much better in my opinion.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.