DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   American Vandal (Netflix) -- true crime documentary spoof (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/641359-american-vandal-netflix-true-crime-documentary-spoof.html)

dex14 09-15-17 06:41 AM

American Vandal (Netflix) -- true crime documentary spoof

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....9,1000_AL_.jpg

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/m3tkFOtM6go" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

(from Netflix's press release, August 2017) From co-creators Tony Yacenda (Pillow Talking) and Dan Perrault (Honest Trailers), and showrunner Dan Lagana (Zach Stone Is Gonna Be Famous), American Vandal is a half-hour true-crime satire that explores the aftermath of a costly high school prank that left twenty-seven faculty cars vandalized with phallic images. Over the course of the eight-episode season, an aspiring sophomore documentarian investigates the controversial and potentially unjust expulsion of troubled senior (and known dick-drawer) Dylan Maxwell. Not unlike its now iconic true-crime predecessors, the addictive American Vandal will leave one question on everyone's minds until the very end: Who drew the dicks?

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Calum Worthy as Alex Trimboli
· Camille Hyde as Gabi Granger
· Camille Ramsey as Mackenzie Wagner
· Eduardo Franco as Spencer Diaz
· G Hannelius as Christa Carlyle
· Griffin Gluck as Sam Ecklund
· Jessica Juarez as Brianna Gagne
· Jimmy Tatro as Dylan Maxwell
· Lou Wilson as Lucas Wiley
· Tyler Alvarez as Peter Maldanaldo

CREW INFORMATION:
· Ari Lubet as EP
· Dan Lagana as EP
· Daniel Perrault as CRTR/EP
· Joe Farrell as EP
· Josh Lieberman as EP
· Michael Rotenberg as EP
· Tony Yacenda as CRTR/EP/DIR (Pilot)

Groucho 09-17-17 11:47 AM

Re: American Vandal (Netflix) -- true crime documentary spoof

This show is great! It's extremely well produced and acted, and quite funny to boot. I don't know how well it would play if you aren't familiar with things like "Serial" or "Making a Murderer" but I burned through the first four episodes yesterday and loved every minute.

mrhan 09-17-17 09:10 PM

Yeah, it was really good! I finished it the other day. The spoiler has to do with the last episode so don't click on it if you haven't seen it yet.

Spoiler:
I don't know what the difference is if we find out after the school year is over that the class president is the one who did it. It's still a criminal case. They should have turned her in.

funkyryno 09-18-17 02:17 PM

Pretty hilarious. I figuratively and sometimes even literally LOLed watching the first episode.

Decker 09-18-17 03:18 PM

Ah shit you guys, now I have to watch this.

Inhumans99 09-18-17 03:21 PM

At first I thought this was an actual doc so it was low on my priority list, but dagnabbit...like Decker, I now need to give it a watch.

whotony 09-18-17 04:31 PM

I'm going to start this with my wife without telling her it's a spoof.

d2cheer 09-19-17 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13159229)
Ah shit you guys, now I have to watch this.

Yup same here. I watched the preview yesterday and thought it was real!! and it looked awesome.

Cusm 09-21-17 07:14 PM

I mean the dicks are funny.

This thread made me watch it. I really enjoyed it, we'll done.

funkyryno 09-22-17 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by mrhan (Post 13158692)
The spoiler has to do with the last episode so don't click on it if you haven't seen it yet.

Spoiler:
I don't know what the difference is if we find out after the school year is over that the class president is the one who did it. It's still a criminal case. They should have turned her in.

Spoiler:
But they didn't really find a smoking gun that pointed to her guilt. They just found holes in her alibi and a possible motive, right?

bralph 10-12-17 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by funkyryno (Post 13162315)
Spoiler:
But they didn't really find a smoking gun that pointed to her guilt. They just found holes in her alibi and a possible motive, right?

I finally got around to this. Really enjoyed it. You're right
Spoiler:
there is never any hard evidence presented on her

I think my favorite part of the series was
Spoiler:
the digital "reenactment" of the lakefront handjob
as well as
Spoiler:
Dylan's lesson learned about posting videos to Instagram

mrhan 10-12-17 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by funkyryno (Post 13162315)
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
They still could have presented their theory to the police since it was still an active investigation under the law. I'm sure she or her boyfriend would have gave it up if the police pressured them in an interview. The boyfriend seemed pretty weak minded to keep up a lie.

bralph 10-12-17 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by mrhan (Post 13180057)
Spoiler:
They still could have presented their theory to the police since it was still an active investigation under the law. I'm sure she or her boyfriend would have gave it up if the police pressured them in an interview. The boyfriend seemed pretty weak minded to keep up a lie.

Spoiler:
That didn't bother me too much. We never saw too much police involvement throughout the show. While they mentioned the $100k in damage and there being a criminal investigation, the primary focus of the doc was in/around school. I didn't need to see someone being taken away in cuffs at the end.

Decker 10-12-17 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by bralph (Post 13180065)
Spoiler:
That didn't bother me too much. We never saw too much police involvement throughout the show. While they mentioned the $100k in damage and there being a criminal investigation, the primary focus of the doc was in/around school. I didn't need to see someone being taken away in cuffs at the end.

Spoiler:
And you still got that anyway.

I really enjoyed this show. It was very well done and actually interesting, even separated from the penis jokes.

There will be a season 2 focused on a different case, with Peter and Sam again "shooting the documentary".

http://ew.com/tv/2017/09/19/american...season-2-idea/

Abob Teff 10-28-17 08:33 PM

Since I referenced this in the Making a Murderer thread, I felt I should post something over here.

Wow! If you have not watched this yet, go watch it NOW! This may be the best thing I have watched this year. Genius!

For those questioning the ending ...

Spoiler:
I thought she pretty well confessed on tape.

Goat3001 10-30-17 08:23 AM

I had been putting this one off for awhile but got a chance to watch it on Saturday. I had planned to watch one episode and 4 hours later, I was done with the season.

It was fantastic. It managed to be hilarious, intriguing and poignant. After the first episode, I was dying to know... who drew the dicks? :lol:

It was still a little bumpy in the middle there -- maybe could have benefited from one less episode but I blasted through this so fast that I can't point out exactly what needed to be cut.

Regarding the ending...

Spoiler:
There is no answer and I think that was the point they were trying to make. Christa was just the last name we heard but her reaction to getting accused was no different than Mackenzie's or Dylan's. At the end of it, no one was really better off and I think they realized that making a case against Christa just wasn't worth it.

Jay G. 10-31-17 09:00 AM

The show was great. It starts off as a straight spoof, but near the end it dials back the comedy and gets you invested in the characters and story.

And since everyone else is doing it, regarding the ending...
Spoiler:
My takeaway was that they had enough circumstantial evidence on Christa by the end that she possibly could've been expelled like Dylan, but not enough to make a criminal case out of. However, that doesn't mean that they didn't report her to the police. Keep in mind that this was a publicly released documentary, within the reality of the show, so people would know their accusations, and the documentary, focused on the school, didn't show everything that happened

slop101 02-20-18 10:13 AM

Spoiler:
I wanna know what it was the coach said to her that set her off

Jay G. 02-20-18 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 13273107)
Spoiler:
I wanna know what it was the coach said to her that set her off

He said....
Spoiler:
"Rosebud."

Noonan 07-24-18 09:56 AM

Binged this on Sunday. Loved it; the time flew by.

Are there any plans for some type of follow up?

dex14 07-24-18 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Noonan (Post 13377841)
Binged this on Sunday. Loved it; the time flew by.

Are there any plans for some type of follow up?

It was renewed.

There isn't much info on Season 2, but it seems it will be a different case.

Noonan 07-24-18 10:16 AM

Good to hear. I hope they're able to tie the seasons together somehow.

Abob Teff 07-24-18 10:49 PM

I heard season 2 is going to be about a Cub Scout that goes AWOL on a camping trip ... it's shocking where he turns up ...

dex14 08-21-18 08:36 AM

rotfl rotfl rotfl

<iframe width="708" height="398" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jwrr6aIWeus" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Milk, milk, lemonade…around the corner, justice is made.

Filmmakers Peter Maldonado and Sam Ecklund point their investigative lens at St. Bernadine, a private high school recently terrorized by a vandal known only as The Turd Burglar. Kevin McClain, a junior, has been expelled and awaits trial for the crimes. But is justice being served? Is the system rigged against the disenfranchised? And who is The Turd Burglar?

From creators Tony Yacenda and Dan Perrault, and showrunner Dan Lagana, comes the second season of the Emmy-nominated satirical true crime series, American Vandal.

Season 2 premieres September 14.

Noonan 08-21-18 08:43 AM

Yas

dex14 09-14-18 07:18 AM

New season is up today.

Abob Teff 09-14-18 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Abob Teff (Post 13378262)
I heard season 2 is going to be about a Cub Scout that goes AWOL on a camping trip ... it's shocking where he turns up ...

I'm watching it now ... came in to make a Serial/Bowe Bergdahl joke only to find I already did ... :(

Anyway ... our investigators have traveled to an elite private school in pursuit of the truth behind The TurdBurglar -- a serial vandal who caused "The Brownout" and additional "attacks" that (as of the first part of Ep. 2) have not been named ... it's a downright dirty case that can only be solved by the crew of American Vandal.

My prediction after the first episode:

Spoiler:
I think it was the girl that invited them to do the documentary. She seemed to have a crush on Kevin and real sympathy for what happened to him in fourth grade.

Loving it so far!

Abob Teff 09-15-18 07:48 PM

Got through most of it last night ... 8 episodes about 30 minutes each. Just finished the last two ...

It didn't have the humor of the first season, but it still had all the heart and really captures you. A+

So, I missed it with my prediction. I did catch the
Spoiler:

cat and fish emojis in the original Turd Burglar posts, but I figured it was referring to Chloe reaching out to the production and catfishing them as the Turd Burglar.

Did anybody else catch the name of the grocery store is Dassey's ... as in

http://s13210.pcdn.co/wp-content/upl.../12/Dassey.jpg

Gunde 09-22-18 01:49 PM

I was prepared to dislike season 2, since I'm one of the few people who don't find poop funny, but I ended up liking it better than season 1. Really well done show.

Jay G. 09-24-18 12:56 PM

Watched season 2 this weekend. I thought it was really good, although not as funny as the first season. The show is really good a accurately portraying teenagers and the growing pains of high school.

Originally Posted by Abob Teff (Post 13408555)
Did anybody else catch the name of the grocery store is Dassey's ...

The grocery store's name was Dawsey's, not Dassey's.

dex14 10-26-18 05:01 PM

Cancelled: https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/ame...ix-1202998378/

Abob Teff 10-26-18 10:21 PM

Speculation that Netflix dumped it because it is purchased programming, not produced by Netflix in-house. That means it could show up on another streaming medium/network. Hope so, I love this show!

Edit: didn’t read the article before I posted. It says that.

MLBFan24 10-26-18 10:23 PM

I finished season 2 yesterday and it's a fantastic show. It deserves some type of Emmy.

dex14 10-26-18 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Abob Teff (Post 13433116)
Speculation that Netflix dumped it because it is purchased programming, not produced by Netflix in-house. That means it could show up on another streaming medium/network. Hope so, I love this show!

Edit: didn’t read the article before I posted. It says that.

Most of their stuff isn’t produced in house. That is what they are starting to transition to.

Abob Teff 10-26-18 11:03 PM

Hence the mass dumping lately.

dex14 10-27-18 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Abob Teff (Post 13433137)
Hence the mass dumping lately.

The brown out of Netflix.

Rob V 10-29-18 06:38 AM

Netflix is making some odd choices lately... AV is some funny stuff. Maybe Hulu will grab this.

Goat3001 10-29-18 09:27 AM

I just finished season 2 a few days ago. Another great season. Compared to the first, I think this was better overall. In the first season, Sam and Peter got drawn into the whole mystery and became a big part of the story. What I liked here is that they maintained the documentarian/detective role the entire time.

Too bad to see it cancelled. It's the perfect streaming show as you can binge through an 8-10 episode season in a day or two. Hopefully they'll get another run at it elsewhere.

Noonan 10-29-18 09:32 AM

Shitty news. I really hope someone else picks this up. Love the concept and execution of both seasons.

slop101 10-29-18 12:43 PM

They're not gonna take the 2 existing seasons off Netflix, are they?
Because I still haven't gotten to the second season, and I keep recommending the show to people.