Old 09-20-17, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts
American Horror Story: Cult (S7E03) -- "Neighbors from Hell" -- 9/19/17

American Horror Story: Cult

Episode Descriptions

Neighbors From Hell

703 9/19/2017 10 PM ET/PT

The community turns on Ally in the wake of an employee's death. Beverly reports on a serial killer in the area. Ally and Ivy are the target of a series of disturbing events. Written by James Wong; Directed by Gwyneth Horder-Payton

Sorry there was a new episode last night, but I was busy and missed posting this.

Last edited by DJariya; 09-20-17 at 09:28 PM.
Old 09-20-17, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts
Re: American Horror Story: Cult (S7E03) -- "Neighbors from Hell" -- 9/19/17

Did they forget that it was Dylan McDermott that used to be on the show and accidentally got Dermot Mulroney instead? Well, I guess they've had them both now.

There's enough crazy stuff happening this season to keep the show interesting. A lot of the stuff is pretty funny too - in a good way. Maybe I just enjoy all the ways that Sarah Paulson's character can be tortured.
Old 09-21-17, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Am I the only one that thought it was weird that they didn't bother taking their phone out to take a picture or video of those weird trucks?
And I'm not sure I like the way all of these people are somehow connected but they aren't explaining how. I mean, I imagine it'll be revealed over time, but the way it's playing out makes it' more annoying to me than a cool mystery.
Old 09-21-17, 09:53 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

I, for one, have been really enjoying this season. I thought the same thing about Dermot Mulroney/Dylan McDermott and am assuming they're playing with the joke that everyone gets those two guys confused. Glad to see they're having fun with it.

The shift in Paulson's character was a nice turn. I have no idea where this show is going - nor do I care all that much, but I've been entertained by all 3 episodes thus far.

To add, I do like the ensemble cast this show assembles and develops. Billy Eichner and Colton Haynes are both welcome additions this season in my mind.
Old 09-21-17, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

That was the best episode so far. I think Paulson character is gonna end up in the cult and insanity will ensue. So I'm still on this ride. That being said, I think the other wife and the detective are horribly miscast. I understand why Murphy cast them but they stick out like a sore thumb.
Old 09-21-17, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

This is actually a solid season so far - FINALLY it feels like a completely focused story - obviously we'll soon see if it gets derailed.

I have one major complaint - the main actress and her F'n beyond annoying screaming and crying UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU THERE'S A CLOWN! UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU WTF man, please do not include this person in any further seasons - so annoying.

I never watched freak show and since Twisty appeared in cult, I might start freak show soon.

EDIT: So the actress I'm complaining about is Sarah Paulson - This show re-uses its actors every season and I think she is one of the main ones so it looks like I'm Screwed "UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU HELP ME!!!! UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU"
Old 09-21-17, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 180 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Rival11
I have one major complaint - the main actress and her F'n beyond annoying screaming and crying UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU THERE'S A CLOWN! UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU WTF man, please do not include this person in any further seasons - so annoying.

I never watched freak show and since Twisty appeared in cult, I might start freak show soon.

EDIT: So the actress I'm complaining about is Sarah Paulson - This show re-uses its actors every season and I think she is one of the main ones so it looks like I'm Screwed "UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU HELP ME!!!! UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU"
That's what has me on the brink of bailing on this season (after watching every episode of every other season). And since she's the central character, there's no getting away from her.

Don't rule out other seasons of AHS because you see Sarah Paulson in the cast. In fact, she's been in every season (though she was never the central character before). She was pretty annoying in Roanoke towards the end when shit was going down in "real life". Though there was much less of that than in this season.
Old 09-21-17, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
That's what has me on the brink of bailing on this season (after watching every episode of every other season). And since she's the central character, there's no getting away from her.

Don't rule out other seasons of AHS because you see Sarah Paulson in the cast. In fact, she's been in every season (though she was never the central character before). She was pretty annoying in Roanoke towards the end when shit was going down in "real life". Though there was much less of that than in this season.
Yeah, I dug Roanoke and saw the first season, watched the first episode of season 2 and juust haven't gone back but will eventually.
Old 09-21-17, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by joltman
Am I the only one that thought it was weird that they didn't bother taking their phone out to take a picture or video of those weird trucks?
And I'm not sure I like the way all of these people are somehow connected but they aren't explaining how. I mean, I imagine it'll be revealed over time, but the way it's playing out makes it' more annoying to me than a cool mystery.
Yes to the phone observation. But then this show has always been full of annoying contrivances.

As for the second part of your thoughts, I thought it became very evident ...

Spoiler:
seriously, do you want to know?

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
the leader of the cult and the common bond is

Spoiler:
... last chance to bug out ...

Spoiler:
the psychiatrist.

Old 09-22-17, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rival11
She's even more annoying this season than she has been in the others.

I wouldn't. Twisty was the best part and it's a very minor part of the season overall.

Kinda sad that this last episode was supposed to be the one to get you hooked. I'm as meh on it as ever. Better than Roanoke so far, but not by much.

Now that they are revealing that more people are probably working together (and probably part of the "cult") it seems like they are going to eventually end up with a show that is a lot like "The Following" but without two leads like Bacon and Purefoy to really make it a great ride. With the primary difference possibly being that instead of a professor being the ring leader, it could be that therapist.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 09-22-17 at 01:41 PM.
Old 09-22-17, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

She's normally pretty solid, but yeah, they made her shrill as fuck this year.
Old 09-22-17, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
She's normally pretty solid, but yeah, they made her shrill as fuck this year.
Really? I thought she was great in that OJ series, and going way back, in Studio 60. But not good at all in these various AHS roles.
Old 09-22-17, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Has this show ever had this many F-bombs? I watch it on demand so they're not bleeped but this must be annoying on the live channel version. I don't remember anything stronger than an occasional 'shit' from prior seasons.

Another weird anomaly this year is that the on demand version flags as Dolby Atmos via Sling on a Roku Premiere. Seems to be the only program that does.
Old 09-22-17, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 180 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddie W
Has this show ever had this many F-bombs? I watch it on demand so they're not bleeped but this must be annoying on the live channel version. I don't remember anything stronger than an occasional 'shit' from prior seasons.
I watched the original airing on FX and none of the F-bombs were bleeped out.

They do seem to be pushing the boundaries of language with this season. I had heard f-words on cable before (People vs OJ Simpson, Breaking Bad), but it was just once per season. When is the last taboo going to be broken ... showing frontal nudity?
Old 09-22-17, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddie W

Another weird anomaly this year is that the on demand version flags as Dolby Atmos via Sling on a Roku Premiere. Seems to be the only program that does.
Did you see Snowfall on FX?

That was essentially hard R rated material on basic cable. F bombs in every scene and almost every piece of dialogue. None of it censored.

Since the FCC doesn't regulate cable and these shows air mostly at 10pm ET, I guess FX doesn't care anymore and gives this shows more creative freedom with dialogue.
Old 09-22-17, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brainee
When is the last taboo going to be broken ... showing frontal nudity?
Tits. I fully expect before long they will essentially show quick glimpses of bare breasts. The sex scenes during AHS: Hotel were already way over the top, they just stopped short of showing Ga-Ga's ta-tas.