Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Orville (FOX) -- Season 1 Thread -- S: MacFarlane, Palicki -- Premieres 9/10/17

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Orville (FOX) -- Season 1 Thread -- S: MacFarlane, Palicki -- Premieres 9/10/17

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-17, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts
Re: The Orville (FOX) -- Season 1 Thread -- S: MacFarlane, Palicki -- Premieres 9/10/

Pretty much anyone using a DVR missed this second episode on the East Coast. I got the first twenty minutes of the episode as the NFL ran way late.

They didn't spend much on this production. The costumes are some of the cheapest I've ever seen on network television, and that includes the CW.

I wouldn't be surprised to see CBS/Paramount sue Fox and the producers if this show lasts. They've ripped off just about every generic element of Star Trek they could get away with.
Old 09-18-17, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,278 Likes on 731 Posts
Re: The Orville (FOX) -- Season 1 Thread -- S: MacFarlane, Palicki -- Premieres 9/10/

Originally Posted by Eric F
I just assume they got everyone out, nothing said they didn't.
In the end when they are watching the video you see pinhead behind them still in his cell.
Old 09-18-17, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
I thought this episode had more laughs than the first (I actually laughed out loud several times, as did my wife).

I loved the relationships between the crewmembers - it is so much more realistic than Star Trek in that regard, even though it is a light comedy. (Sci-fi comedic drama, maybe?)

This seems to be a show that most people with either, "Get," or they won't. If you get it, it's great. If not, or if this type of more subtle, sarcastic humor isn't for you, you probably won't like it as much.

But I love it. If it comes out on Blu Ray I'm definitely going to buy it because, for me, it's got tremendous rewatchability.
I laughed more this time also, out loud. I agree, you either "get it" or you don't. Depends on your sense of humor. The overt, juvenile humor is dumb, but the subtle satire is gold.
It's probably funnier if the viewer is well versed in Star Trek clichés.

Take the parents on the view screen. On the surface it's stupid and juvenile, but taken in context with all the times we saw parents show up on Trek, it's hilarious. Even the admiral on the view screen is funny because it's so Trek-like given the show's attitude.
Old 09-18-17, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I gave the first ep a go last week, and it was kind of meh. However, I just finished ep 2 and enjoyed it quite a bit. The idea of giving the zoo old TV reality shows was actually pretty funny. And yes, as someone pretty well versed in Star Trek lore, they are attempting to aim at the typical ST tropes...
Old 09-18-17, 05:39 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
I laughed more this time also, out loud. I agree, you either "get it" or you don't. Depends on your sense of humor. The overt, juvenile humor is dumb, but the subtle satire is gold.
It's probably funnier if the viewer is well versed in Star Trek clichés.

Take the parents on the view screen. On the surface it's stupid and juvenile, but taken in context with all the times we saw parents show up on Trek, it's hilarious. Even the admiral on the view screen is funny because it's so Trek-like given the show's attitude.
The only parent of the crew in TNG we saw on a regular basis was Lwaxana Troy, and she was annoying as fuck.
Old 09-18-17, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 153 Likes on 116 Posts

The only parent of the crew in TNG we saw on a regular basis was Lwaxana Troy, and she was annoying as fuck.
And Bev Crusher. This was similar to Worf's human parents visiting the ship. The show is mediocre but I think it has promise. At minimum it's well casted.
Old 09-18-17, 07:23 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

how could this show be made without Paramount/CBS'/whatever permission? and why would they allow it?
Old 09-18-17, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I wouldn't be surprised to see CBS/Paramount sue Fox and the producers if this show lasts. They've ripped off just about every generic element of Star Trek they could get away with.
Sue for what? There's nothing here that hasn't been done before on TV and won't be again in the future. They aren't using ST names or designs, so there's nothing they could sue for here.
Old 09-18-17, 07:58 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

? not using ST names or designs? c'mon...
Old 09-18-17, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Love the show.
Old 09-19-17, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 349 Likes on 268 Posts

I enjoyed the 2nd episode. I did not predict that ending at all (what the Orville gave up to get Ed and Kelly back). Usually it's predictable, but I got a huge laugh out of it.

I like the character growth of Alara as well.

I'm sticking with it.
Old 09-19-17, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

This is kind of like watching outtakes of a Star Trek show. One actor ad libs something and the rest pick it up and play along.
Old 09-19-17, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've enjoyed the show so far for what it is. A simple Star Trek parody. The second episode hit on even more more ST tropes that the first. Admiral giving an absolute order that is blatantly disregarded due to personal feelings - check. Not so subtle political context - check. Low level officer thrown into command due to multiple coincidences - check. Incorporating parents into the story (TNG and beyond) - check.
Old 09-19-17, 10:25 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

It's not really a parody when most of it is played straight.

More of an homage to Trek.
Old 09-19-17, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

I guess it's not technically a parody... it doesn't really flat-out satirize Star Trek a lot, but it's more like 70s-80s sitcom humor grafted onto lightweight Star Trek scripts. A guy stuck in an alien zoo exhibit with his ex-wife, a guy laying an egg and sitting on it for three weeks. I'm surprised it doesn't have a laugh track.

But, ye gods, Halston Sage is fucking adorable.
Old 09-19-17, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

So far so good.
Old 09-19-17, 01:54 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

The second episode was way better than the first, I was laughing out loud. Loved the reality show exchange at the end.
Old 09-19-17, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

It's not really a parody when most of it is played straight.

More of an homage to Trek.
Yeah if people would stop trying to analyse it and just enjoy it.. they'd like it more.

The episode this Thursday is directed by Brannon Braga. He knows his stuff.
Old 09-19-17, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
Sue for what? There's nothing here that hasn't been done before on TV and won't be again in the future. They aren't using ST names or designs, so there's nothing they could sue for here.
Paramount's lawyers are figuring that out at this very moment.
Old 09-19-17, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by General Zod
The episode this Thursday is directed by Brannon Braga. He knows his stuff.
I've read years worth of ST treads on this forum that contradict that statement.
Old 09-19-17, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by Timber
I've read years worth of ST treads on this forum that contradict that statement.
Don't worry.. episode 3 won't throw us into an full year story arc with the Xindi.

I hope.
Old 09-19-17, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Episode 3 is the one that reviewers said is truly abominable.
Old 09-19-17, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

1st episode was full blown galaxy quest style parody. 2nd episode is a little more serious but still heavy on the parody side. They even use trek like music
Old 09-19-17, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by DeadLamb
It's delivering what I thought it would as a show... I'll keep watching..
On a random note, the make up is really well done. I get you sort of have to do that now with HD but still, people are spending some big hours in the makeup chair for these eps.

Oh she might be bit obscure to trigger this in most people but at least in make up the security officer looks like a clone of Marla Sokoloff. That's not a bad thing of course.

I spent most of the first episode staring at her trying to figure out if it was Sokoloff! Can't believe how much they look alike.
Old 09-20-17, 10:17 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah not sure what to make of it

It has good enough production values to look like a proper show, not just a parody, and the jokes aren't that good for it to read as a comedy

will give it another episode

I can't see this show lasting too long

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.