Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Twin Peaks (S1E17/E18) -- Season Finale -- "The Return - Part 17 & 18" -- 9/3/17

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Twin Peaks (S1E17/E18) -- Season Finale -- "The Return - Part 17 & 18" -- 9/3/17

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-17, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Twin Peaks (S1E17/E18) -- Season Finale -- "The Return - Part 17 & 18" -- 9/3/17

Originally Posted by starseed1981
Her AMA was pretty good. And she more or less confirmed that Frost was only a writer on the first drafts. Interesting that Lynch has never read The Secret History Of Twin Peaks though. I wonder if the upcoming blu-ray will include all the international cuts of the The Return that she mentioned. A 2.5 hour free TV version of it would be scatterbrained as all hell haha.
I came late to that AMA. I do think it's interesting that Frost was given a chance to have input on scenes that Lynch later wrote, but Lynch hasn't read Frost's books. I've read Secret History and was hoping that the third season would provide more insight into apparent discrepancies in the book, but maybe we'll be getting some in The Final Dossier. I do think it's interesting to be able to see versions of Twin Peaks that more heavily reflect the vision of one of the creators over the other to get an idea of how each of them independently view the series, characters, and situations and which areas each prefers to emphasize.
Old 10-03-17, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Twin Peaks (S1E17/E18) -- Season Finale -- "The Return - Part 17 & 18" -- 9/3/17

You want answers? Fuck you, that's your answer!

Finally able to watch the two final, hopefully final, because I don't think I could endure more of this fuckduckery, episodes of Twin Peaks, and, after watching 17, I was like, oh,oh-ho, here we go, getting somewhere! Rubbed my hands with maniacal glee as 18 began, then, despair set in, as well as anger. Maybe I'll get over it, I mean I was flummoxed by the ending of The Soprano's, was confused, upset, until I understood it, and until I understand the ending of Twin Peaks, I will always be pissed off.

I get it, hey, it's David Lynch, what did you expect? Fucker's weird, an artist, his mind is unfathomable to you little people, just worship the God of strangeness, don't ask questions. Let it flow over you, like a broken sewer pipe, wallow in all that shit, kiss his magical, cryptic ass.

Am I the only one noticing how some of the acting was bad? I mean direct to VHS bad. Lucy, and Andy's interactions were terrible, it got worse when the son showed up. How come some directors get away with lousy directing? Did any of you see Dune? Christ, you can't blame that all on the producers. And Fire, Walk With Me is a bad movie. I tried watching it again before the new series began, and still thought it was shit. David Bowie was horrible in the movie. I don't know why Rock stars are cast in movies. I was watching Burden Of Dreams on TCM which is about the making of Werner Herzog's Fitzcarraldo, and apparently Mick Jagger was to co-star in it. They showed some of the footage, and thank fuck it didn't happen.

I'll let you into a little secret, Lynch told Showtime it was going to be 18 episodes, but Mark Frost read the scripts and told David that there was only enough for 16 and a half. Don't you worry, none, my boy, I'll be dabblin' in a little bit of my classic fuckduckery. See, I'll have these long, uncomfortable silences where everyone just looks at each other, especially after saying something profound, or funny, or cringe inducing and then we'll showcase some bands I like, or bands that pay me to like, and then there'll be drivin', hours, and hours of footage, just people drivin' down a desolate highway, and the occupants will rarely talk, just stare, in fact, most of the last episode will be of Dale drivin', and drivin', and drivin', oh, and he'll fuck Diane who was raped by his doppelganger because I'm sure she'll be comfortable with that, making love with the man who's the spitting image of the monster who assaulted her. Oh, I just had a thought, how about I do one episode of what the inside of my mind looks like? Think they'll go for that? It's a big mushroom cloud with barren landscapes, and creepy hobo's who can't find a fucking match anywhere, bizarre beings, eggs hatching, insectoid things, and whatever else I can conjure up. I'll have everything padded, the mooks'll just think, hey, that's David Lynch! Genius!

Audrey, what was the point of that? Was all that in her head? Were we privy to her damaged mind? Is she in an insane asylum? It was a white room, so it could be. If you ever want me to abandon a series, especially in a weird, supernatural series, have one of the antagonists be held in an insane asylum, and have them told it's all in their mind. I'm looking at you, Buffy.

Sorry, this is long, but, fuck I'm upset. I was somewhat ambivalent about the series up to 17, but that last one, well, that was a kick to the groin.
The following users liked this post:
Gizmo (04-09-21)
Old 10-20-17, 11:58 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Geez... another actor on Twin Peaks passed away:

Brent Briscoe, who recently portrayed Detective Dave Macklay in the third season of Twin Peaks, passed away in Los Angeles the morning of October 18, 2017.
http://welcometotwinpeaks.com/news/r...brent-briscoe/
Old 10-21-17, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Did anyone goto the pop up they ran in LA this week? A friend of mine went earlier in the week and the actress that played Candie was serving coffee.
Old 10-21-17, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

i went earlier this week. kinda let down. the merch was more expensive than you would find on the showtime webstore, the cherry pies were sold out and the donuts, from donut friend were also gone. great for a quick picture, but otherwise meh.
Old 11-02-17, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

The Final Dossier came out a couple of days ago.

Spoiler:
It's short and doesn't feature any real revelations that couldn't be guessed or weren't inferred by the TV show. Exception being the fates of Leo, Donna, Annie, the log & Norma's mother. And confirmation of who funded the glass box experiment. Nothing to write home about but some decent closure.

Last edited by starseed1981; 11-02-17 at 12:41 PM.
Old 11-02-17, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by starseed1981
The Final Dossier came out a couple of days ago.

Spoiler:
It's short and doesn't feature any real revelations that couldn't be guessed or weren't inferred by the TV show. Exception being the fates of Leo, Donna, Annie, the log & Norma's mother. And confirmation of who funded the glass box experiment. Nothing to write home about but some decent closure.
Looks like this will make the Xmas wishlist.
Old 01-29-18, 06:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick note about The Final Dossier whic I've finally read.

I think it's a great conclusion as it contains elements that people would have liked to see in the 3rd season, mainly the faiths of multiple characters that weren't in the season and some that were.
Old 05-21-18, 01:02 PM

For anyone who is a fan of Johnny Jewel / Chromatics, like I am. This up on Spotify, etc. now.

Last year, reports surfaced that Johnny Jewel (of Chromatics) recorded “over 20 hours” of music for David Lynch’s “Twin Peaks: The Return.” (Lynch didn’t use any of it, but Jewel sent him five to seven hours of the material.) Now, Jewel has shared the recordings in a new, 21-track album called Themes For Television. Listen below.

It includes an alternate version of Chromatics’ “Shadow”—which they performed on the show’s season three premiere. “It’s been a year since Chromatics performed at the Roadhouse,” Johnny Jewel said in a statement. “With disintegrated memory through the haze of television snow, I wanted to share a glimpse behind the red curtain.” He’s also shared the video for “Red Door.” Find the clip, which was edited by Chromatics, below.

Johnny Jewel’s last solo album, Digital Rain, arrived this January. Chromatics recently shared “Black Walls” from their long-awaited new album, Dear Tommy.

<iframe width="561" height="312" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XfJ_Dxpi6kU" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-25-18, 07:44 AM

I Know Catherine, The Log Lady

An authorized feature documentary about CATHERINE COULSON, best known as the LOG LADY in DAVID LYNCH & MARK FROST's TWIN PEAKS.

<iframe src="https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/historyofcool/i-know-catherine-the-log-lady/widget/card.html?v=2" width="220" height="420" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>
Old 05-27-18, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

If anyone hasn't seen Season 3, Showtime is running a marathon this Saturday, June 2nd. Get up early and/or set your DVRs, as the fun begins at 4:35 AM.
Old 06-01-18, 12:58 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
As long as you're willing make the effort to put the pieces various pieces together, you can make a sort of sense of everything that happens re:Judy, etc.

What I'm still confused by is the idea that this is all somehow a dream. (Not a new s3 concept by the way. Jeffries talks about living in a dream in FWWM.) If it's all a dream, then who cares? What's the point of any of it? Are the god like beings (Judy, fireman, etc.) outside that dream? Are the final scenes of Cooper and Laura taking place outside of that dream? If so, and if everything that happened prior to the finale was a dream, then why does Laura start screaming at end? Is anyone else bothered that this new season seems to have robbed FWWM of it's more or less happy ending?
I think you’re asking the wrong questions to be honest. This is more Lost Highway than Mulholland Drive.
Old 04-08-21, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts

Walter Olkewicz of TWIN PEAKS fame has passed away. Rest In Peace!

https://deadline.com/2021/04/walter-...re-1234729904/

Old 04-08-21, 06:45 AM

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by will travel
Walter Olkewicz of TWIN PEAKS fame has passed away. Rest In Peace!

https://deadline.com/2021/04/walter-...re-1234729904/

RIP

I actually knew him best as Coach in the Judd Nelson movie “Making the Grade” and his numerous TV appearances in the 70s and 80s. Didn’t even know he was still acting.
Old 04-08-21, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by smokedragon
You want answers? Fuck you, that's your answer!

Finally able to watch the two final, hopefully final, because I don't think I could endure more of this fuckduckery, episodes of Twin Peaks, and, after watching 17, I was like, oh,oh-ho, here we go, getting somewhere! Rubbed my hands with maniacal glee as 18 began, then, despair set in, as well as anger. Maybe I'll get over it, I mean I was flummoxed by the ending of The Soprano's, was confused, upset, until I understood it, and until I understand the ending of Twin Peaks, I will always be pissed off.

I get it, hey, it's David Lynch, what did you expect? Fucker's weird, an artist, his mind is unfathomable to you little people, just worship the God of strangeness, don't ask questions. Let it flow over you, like a broken sewer pipe, wallow in all that shit, kiss his magical, cryptic ass.

Am I the only one noticing how some of the acting was bad? I mean direct to VHS bad. Lucy, and Andy's interactions were terrible, it got worse when the son showed up. How come some directors get away with lousy directing? Did any of you see Dune? Christ, you can't blame that all on the producers. And Fire, Walk With Me is a bad movie. I tried watching it again before the new series began, and still thought it was shit. David Bowie was horrible in the movie. I don't know why Rock stars are cast in movies. I was watching Burden Of Dreams on TCM which is about the making of Werner Herzog's Fitzcarraldo, and apparently Mick Jagger was to co-star in it. They showed some of the footage, and thank fuck it didn't happen.

I'll let you into a little secret, Lynch told Showtime it was going to be 18 episodes, but Mark Frost read the scripts and told David that there was only enough for 16 and a half. Don't you worry, none, my boy, I'll be dabblin' in a little bit of my classic fuckduckery. See, I'll have these long, uncomfortable silences where everyone just looks at each other, especially after saying something profound, or funny, or cringe inducing and then we'll showcase some bands I like, or bands that pay me to like, and then there'll be drivin', hours, and hours of footage, just people drivin' down a desolate highway, and the occupants will rarely talk, just stare, in fact, most of the last episode will be of Dale drivin', and drivin', and drivin', oh, and he'll fuck Diane who was raped by his doppelganger because I'm sure she'll be comfortable with that, making love with the man who's the spitting image of the monster who assaulted her. Oh, I just had a thought, how about I do one episode of what the inside of my mind looks like? Think they'll go for that? It's a big mushroom cloud with barren landscapes, and creepy hobo's who can't find a fucking match anywhere, bizarre beings, eggs hatching, insectoid things, and whatever else I can conjure up. I'll have everything padded, the mooks'll just think, hey, that's David Lynch! Genius!

Audrey, what was the point of that? Was all that in her head? Were we privy to her damaged mind? Is she in an insane asylum? It was a white room, so it could be. If you ever want me to abandon a series, especially in a weird, supernatural series, have one of the antagonists be held in an insane asylum, and have them told it's all in their mind. I'm looking at you, Buffy.

Sorry, this is long, but, fuck I'm upset. I was somewhat ambivalent about the series up to 17, but that last one, well, that was a kick to the groin.
The fact that the first shot of the series wasn't Cooper appearing in the woods from the Black Lodge disoriented will always anger me. He should've showed up and been found by someone (maybe Truman) and then work their way to find out his whereabouts all this time. But instead, we got all this randomness thrown onto the screen with no direction and no resolution. As a huge fan of the original series, I have never been so let down by a revival in my life, although Veronica Mars was pretty anger-inducing as well.
Old 04-09-21, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by MysterioMan007
The fact that the first shot of the series wasn't Cooper appearing in the woods from the Black Lodge disoriented will always anger me. He should've showed up and been found by someone (maybe Truman) and then work their way to find out his whereabouts all this time. But instead, we got all this randomness thrown onto the screen with no direction and no resolution. As a huge fan of the original series, I have never been so let down by a revival in my life, although Veronica Mars was pretty anger-inducing as well.
Sorry you're not a David Lynch fan, but I thought it was perfect.
Old 04-09-21, 09:32 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

I still wish Dale woke up after a few episodes and we didn’t get 17 episodes of Dougie.

I
Old 04-09-21, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by ben12
Guess I'm not a David Lynch fan either.
Old 04-09-21, 09:38 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
Guess I'm not a David Lynch fan either.
Neither am I, apparently. This was a gigantic mess that should be trimmed to 8-10 episodes.

Lynch fans are some of the craziest. Are they still quoting the whole “watching a movie on your phone” nonsense from Lynch? The guy who barely does anything outside or Twin Peak. It’s been what, almost 2 decades since his last movie?
Old 04-09-21, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sorry you're not a fan of Twin Peaks, but I felt it was far from perfect.
Old 04-09-21, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
Neither am I, apparently. This was a gigantic mess that should be trimmed to 8-10 episodes.
The problem wasn't that it was too long, it was too meandering. It felt like a twelve-hour "Dougie" movie with a bunch of webisodes cut into it.

What really made Twin Peaks work was that it was a sort of piss-take on police procedurals and nighttime soap operas shot through with David Lynch strangeness.

Twin Peaks The Return was too much Lynch weirdness and not enough procedural or soap opera. It spent so much time focusing on that Dougie shit that there wasn't really any time to have the Twin Peaks townsfolk do anything meaningful. Most of them, Audrey in particular, seem to have been included as afterthoughts.

Also didn't help that they lost so many actors... I think that Don Davis' absence was dealt with well, but then, the stock footage of Frank Silva in bubbles didn't work at all. And, since Ontkean didn't want to be involved, they should have just made Hawk the sheriff instead of bringing in another new character. And the David Bowie teakettle? Egads...

Most of this was Inland Empire David Lynch and not 1990 David Lynch. And, ironically, the parts that felt the most like proper Twin Peaks was the stuff with the FBI, which actually starred Lynch himself.
The following users liked this post:
MysterioMan007 (04-10-21)
Old 04-11-21, 07:18 PM

Sorry you're not a fan of Twin Peaks, but I felt it was far from perfect.
Difference is I actually liked ALL of Twin Peaks!
Old 04-11-21, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Difference is I actually liked ALL of Twin Peaks!
And I like David Lynch. And I enjoyed The Return, to a certain extent. But, because I'm a fan of Lynch, that doesn't mean I have to blindly like whatever he shovels into our mouths. By itself, I enjoyed The Return, but as a continuation of the original show, not so much.
Old 04-13-21, 11:04 AM

And I like David Lynch. And I enjoyed The Return, to a certain extent. But, because I'm a fan of Lynch, that doesn't mean I have to blindly like whatever he shovels into our mouths. By itself, I enjoyed The Return, but as a continuation of the original show, not so much.
This was never going to be a continuation of the old show. Anyone who expected that was fooling themselves.
Old 04-13-21, 11:25 AM

Received 51 Likes on 17 Posts

This was never going to be a continuation of the old show. Anyone who expected that was fooling themselves.
Then why call it "Twin Peaks?" This series definitely felt like a huge bait and switch.

It was like Lynch was too afraid to either make a full on continuation (which everyone wanted) or a complete reboot, and instead tried to do both. If they had set this series up as a complete reboot but just set in the town of Twin Peaks, with new characters and new situations, I think it would have been better received. People would have known what they were getting into. But the marketing told a completely different story... images of Cooper and Laura Palmer with the tagline, "It is happening again." Teasing the return of all these characters people loved, only to be given them in tiny, and very weird doses.

The following 2 users liked this post by Matto1020:
Crocker Jarmen (04-14-21), MysterioMan007 (04-13-21)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.