Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Game of Thrones (S7E07) -- "The Dragon and the Wolf" -- 8/27/17 -- Season Finale

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones (S7E07) -- "The Dragon and the Wolf" -- 8/27/17 -- Season Finale

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-17, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S7E07) -- "The Dragon and the Wolf" -- 8/27/17 -- Season Finale

Originally Posted by JasonF
What really bugged me was the wall coming down. I can't remember if I'm bringing in stuff from the book, but isn't the Wall supposed to be magically enchanted to keep the undead out? Mance Rayder was supposed to be looking for a horn (that he never found) that would bring the Wall down. He never found it, but the Night King should have used that instead of the dragon. Was that purely a book thing?
My memory isn't perfect, but I don't remember any of that from the show...

As others have pointed out, the way it played out, the expedition last week wound up fucking everyone over, since without the dragon, the Wall would still be standing and the undead stuck in the north.
Seems the Night King, in addition to building up his army of the undead, was biding his time until the moron humans would bring him a dragon.
Old 08-27-17, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 553 Likes on 404 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S7E07) -- "The Dragon and the Wolf" -- 8/27/17 -- Season Finale

Originally Posted by B.A.
Is Tormund finally dead?
I doubt it. The dragon only took out a small part of the wall nearest the coast. There is a huge portion of it still up. If he was going to die I'm sure they would have shown it.
Old 08-27-17, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JackoOnHisBacko
Tyrion didn't look happy about Jon & Dany hooking up.
I think Bran and Sam and already plotting on putting an end to that

Bran: I saw what you were doing with Dany, Jon, that was both beautiful and disgusting at the same time. Why would you do something like that to someone you're related to?

Jon: You saw that huh?? .... wait .. what? related???? ......!
Old 08-27-17, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

Today, 10:14 PM
Littlefinger's moment in court was definitely the highlight.

Glad Jamie once again parted ways with his sister. His story was always much more interesting and amusing when he was on the road. Too bad Bronn wasn't with him.

Annoyed they teased us with Clegane-bowl. Blah.
Old 08-27-17, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by badlieut
Looks like she knew beforehand.

Well only half the wall collapsed. Tormund and Beric were on the safe half.
The Wall stretches from sea to shining sea (east to west across Westeros). They brought down just a small portion at Eastwatch, not half.

Originally Posted by dstrauss
I didn't have closed captioning on, was Jon's real name "Aegon"? Thought that's what I heard.
Yes.
Old 08-27-17, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen
I doubt it. The dragon only took out a small part of the wall nearest the coast. There is a huge portion of it still up. If he was going to die I'm sure they would have shown it.
He's probably still alive, which is annoying because they sure tried to make it look like that wouldn't be possible with the way that sequence was shot. They showed the wall 20 feet behind him crumbling and then there was a wide shot of a huge portion of the wall (at Eastwatch) coming down.

Last edited by kefrank; 08-27-17 at 10:18 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 08-27-17, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,650 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Fantastic episode to end a stellar season. I think Sanaa's "I'm a slow learner but I learn" speech was to indicate that it took her a while to figure out what Littlefinger was doing. Glad he's gone and it was awesome that Arya was the one to do it (and without saying a word to boot).

Loved to see all the plot threads coming together and people actually sharing useful information with one another. And bringing down the wall so easily was great. They've always been like "the Wall will protect us" and it's down in a few minutes.

Tormund and Beric didn't die - they were running along the top and ran past the part that collapsed. Not that crazy

Gonna be a long wait but worth it!

*I've read the books multiple times too and love them. Feel like I need to say that these days anytime I praise an episode of the show.
Old 08-27-17, 10:25 PM

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Sansa should have been Littlefinger's executioner.
"The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword." - Ned Stark
Old 08-27-17, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 553 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by JackoOnHisBacko
Sansa should have been Littlefinger's executioner.
"The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword." - Ned Stark
Sansa is never going to be that person.
Old 08-27-17, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by OldBoy

This graphic needs to be updated for The Night King.
Old 08-27-17, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Questyen
I can't wait to laugh next season when he shows up again.
Old 08-27-17, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Technically, they had no hard evidence against Littlefinger. They just started accusing him of shit he did in private to Sansa only, or that Bran used his powers to witness. Dude should have requested a trial rather than admitting to killing Lyanna.
Old 08-27-17, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A much-needed redemption after last week's travesty. Glad to see that Arya and Sansa were secretly plotting (I'm sure Benioff and Weiss were having a chuckle at the Internet bitching about their plotline). I guess we'll see two wars next season.
Old 08-27-17, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I have to point out that Bran gave them most of the info used against Littlefinger, and Jamie, who pushed him out the window looks to be headed to Winterfell!
Old 08-27-17, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
Isn't that really what the internet created, extremes on both sides? Either a blockbuster movie or TV show is the greatest thing ever or the biggest piece of shit!

I like this season of Game of Thrones but I have some problems with it. But because I choose to be more positive and enjoy for what it is every week toward the episodes, I get called out as 'sheep' that will accept every contrivance among this board.
Originally Posted by DJariya
We're all entertained by different things. I get more annoyed when someone chooses to articulate themselves in some kind of elitist perspective and calls out people as dumb, the lowest common denominator or fanboys for being entertained by something that they claim wasn't smart enough for them.

Game of Thrones has always been a fantasy show. It's proven itself that it can entertain people looking for smart TV and those looking for escapism entertainment. There's no right or wrongs here for what some people look for in it.
Both of these are pretty one sided, as there was also the opposite where people called those with issues as just bitching, nitpicking, and others saying that we shouldn't be complaining and just let things ago. It's just as frustrating to have well thought out complaints and issues and be told to just shut up and be entertained.

Anyway, as some of the others have already said this episode didn't have a lot of the stupidity from the last few. I enjoyed it quite a bit overall, especially the end. Even though I could predict a lot of stuff happening, like with Sansa/Arya/Littlefinger, it was executed really well overall. I really enjoyed the Tyrion/Cersei confrontation, Cersei/Jamie's confrontation, and seeing so many major characters meet up together at the beginning was fantastic and super tense. A lot of these moments felt great the way they did in earlier seasons.

And then the ice dragon was just fucking cool.

Last edited by fumanstan; 08-27-17 at 11:45 PM.
Old 08-27-17, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Aiden Gillan deserves an Emmy.
Oh, and I have to say I haven't been as impressed with him this year. He was better the first couple seasons, but he's been reduced to just his hissy voice at Sansa or Arya and not particularly great. I enjoyed watching him try to weasel his way out of a hole tonight though.
Old 08-27-17, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,186 Likes on 4,213 Posts

I really liked this episode overall and especially the Sansa/Arya stuff. I figured that had to be where it was headed and they still pulled it off nicely. That said I have NO IDEA why they had that chilly scene last week between them in private. It makes no logical sense and only was there to trick the audience. I wish they had come up with a better scene. In any case, this episode really delivered.
I liked the Usual Suspects like reveal of Jon's lineage (even though we all already knew that). It was still cool getting Sam in the room with Bran and see that he didn't miss that important nugget last week. And it's cool that W&B are treating the information like it will be a big deal for Jon & Dany's relationship going forward - I was afraid they were going to gloss over the implications to some extent.
Old 08-27-17, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like how the wight comes rushing at Cersi and neither The Mountain or the queens guard so much as flinched to protect her
Old 08-27-17, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

oh wow. What a cliffhanger. That ice dragon was fucking along with the mountain collapsing.

What was up with Theon getting balls of steel?

Hope Aegon enjoyed his time Aunt Dany.

Whenever the hell season 8 airs and they pick things up, I expect all hell to break lose.

The trial and execution of Littlefinger was badass. Arya was the boss.

Last edited by DJariya; 08-27-17 at 11:55 PM.
Old 08-28-17, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker
I really liked this episode overall and especially the Sansa/Arya stuff. I figured that had to be where it was headed and they still pulled it off nicely. That said I have NO IDEA why they had that chilly scene last week between them in private. It makes no logical sense and only was there to trick the audience. I wish they had come up with a better scene.
Again, I think that scene was real. It was the "think about the worst reason" speech that Littlefinger gave that clued Sansa in. That's why she said she was a slow learner.
Old 08-28-17, 12:23 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
I'm curious how the fuel for a dragon's fire works. Is it like snake venom, where eventually they'll run dry if they don't have time to produce more?

I figure with the ice dragon there's probably some magic involved.
As opposed to a normal dragon which is totally based in science.

So was the zombie dragon breathing ice? How would that take down a wall of ice? Some kind of ice-fire I guess...

So is Dany's child going to be Jon's son/cousin?
Old 08-28-17, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

While I figured it would be ice, I think it's just blue fire.
Old 08-28-17, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

That final scene was the money shot to end all money shots.
Old 08-28-17, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

I doubt Tormund is dead since he is the visual representation of the Wildlings. Killing Tormund would be like killing all the Wildlings much like killing Elaria Sand defeated the entire Dorne army.

Wonder where Gendry went. Maybe he got stuck on the boat.

Too bad we didn't get Lyanna Mormont in the Littlefinger scene, but once we saw Bran sitting there it was fairly clear how that would play out.

Hopefully Ghost is back from his vacation next year. Aunt Dany needs to meet him.
Old 08-28-17, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

No whining this time around, gents? Man, you guys were a pain in the ass last week.

I laughed when Euron shook the spot. Granted, Cersei says that he was bullshitting but I still chuckled when he bailed.

The Night King and his dragon were badass. The crumbling of the wall was dope. Well, as has been rumored, the new season will be released in 2 years? Fuck.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 08-28-17 at 01:09 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.