Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones (S7E06) -- "Beyond the Wall" -- 8/20/17 -- 75 min episode

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-17, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S7E06) -- "Beyond the Wall" -- 8/20/17 -- 75 min episode

Book readers - do the books have more stuff relating to Benjen and his relationship with Jon? I know he's still "beyond the wall" and unaccounted for, but he always seemed like a cool motherfucker.
Old 08-24-17, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WTF? There's three version of Aunt May -

Old 08-24-17, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Book readers - do the books have more stuff relating to Benjen and his relationship with Jon? I know he's still "beyond the wall" and unaccounted for, but he always seemed like a cool motherfucker.
Spoiler:
The books never tell us that Benjen is Cold Hands, when asked he just says that he is very old. Bran and Jon think about Benjen and where he might be from time to time, but I don't remember anything significant about their relationship with their uncle.
Old 08-24-17, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fkristoferhivjuofficial%2Fvideos%2F851209861703639%2F&show_text=0&width=476" width="476" height="476" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>
Old 08-24-17, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by McHawkson
WTF? There's three version of Aunt May -
Taking the joke very seriously, huh?
Old 08-24-17, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeySeven
So anyone know the name of these guys or do they have names?

Pretty sure the one on the top is Edgar Winter.
Old 08-24-17, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,884 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Spoiler:
The books never tell us that Benjen is Cold Hands, when asked he just says that he is very old. Bran and Jon think about Benjen and where he might be from time to time, but I don't remember anything significant about their relationship with their uncle.
Re: Benjen Stark/Coldhands (book version)

Spoiler:
It was divulged a while back that Benjen is not Coldhands. In a manuscript page that was released a while back, an editor wrote on the page "Is this Benjen? I think it's Benjen," (with regard to Coldhands) to which Martin replied "No."
Old 08-25-17, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
The ones on bottom are White Trash.
Old 08-25-17, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have despised the last two episodes of this show.

What the show used to be about:
1. People acting in understandable and reasonable ways that seem right at the time who still get in trouble because the world isn't fair.
2. Actions having consequences, often that took multiple seasons to play out.
3. Subverting expectations. The show delighted in destroying tropes.
4. Characters with depth and self-contradictions.
5. A world with strong rules and some sort of basis in reality. Strong people die of infection. Trips take a long time. Practical concerns like food are critical.

What the show is about now:
1. We are going to hit these plot points no matter what. Forget logic. Forget depth. We need these seven people to go north of the wall so there they go. We need Sansa to be an uber-bitch to Brienne so here we go. We need the Ironborn to have a thousand ships so here we go.
2. Zombies and dragons are sure cool, aren't they? Here's some more spectacle for the sake of spectacle. We're going to "put every dollar on the screen" if it kills us.
3. Every character trait we spent years teaching you? Yeah, forget all of that. Tyrion is now a moron because that's what the plot demands. Jon is now a one-note action hero because that's what the plot demands. Cersei is suddenly a tactical genius because that's what the plot demands. Arya is now threatening family members because that's what the plot demands.
4. Forget the rules of this world. Vast distances can be crossed in seconds. Characters survive because the writers want them to, despite their own stupid actions. The telegraphed "cliffhangers" or so trope-y that no one buys them. The forced romance between Jon and Dany is instantaneous and "makes sense" for the plot to proceed.
5. Trope city. Star crossed lovers meeting cute. Redshirts. Littlefinger manipulating in only the most obvious ways. Also, nothing makes sense. Bran knows everything but no one asks him anything. The Red Priests and Priestesses have been dealt with as reincarnation would be inconvenient at this point. Characters emerging from un-survivable fates in deep water, never seen that before have we. Etc.

Last edited by Hiro11; 08-25-17 at 10:12 AM.
Old 08-25-17, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Whoa! It all makes sense now!

Old 08-25-17, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 578 Likes on 417 Posts

The fast travel has finally been explained! http://io9.gizmodo.com/we-finally-kn...ium=socialflow
Old 08-25-17, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Old 08-25-17, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't read the books, so I don't know if it's covered in more detail there, but I don't see Bran as "knowing everything." He's not omniscient. From what we've seen on the show, he gets flashes. Over time, he gets more flashes, and thus has a better understanding of the past and present. I don't believe he has been shown to see the future. After all, he did tell Arya he thought she'd go to King's Landing, and he only mentioned the past and present when describing his abilities to Sansa.

Given his abilities, he'd definitely be someone you'd want to have more than a passing conversation with, but it's debatable how that conversation would go. His Bran Stark persona has been greatly buried and he always seems to be thinking of things with greater significance than whatever localized immediate concerns the Starks are concerned with.
Old 08-25-17, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Hiro11

1. People acting in understandable and reasonable ways that seem right at the time who still get in trouble because the world isn't fair.
2. Actions having consequences, often that took multiple seasons to play out.
3. Subverting expectations. The show delighted in destroying tropes.
4. Characters with depth and self-contradictions.
5. A world with strong rules and some sort of basis in reality. Strong people die of infection. Trips take a long time. Practical concerns like food are critical.

1. We are going to hit these plot points no matter what. Forget logic. Forget depth. We need these seven people to go north of the wall so there they go. We need Sansa to be an uber-bitch to Brienne so here we go. We need the Ironborn to have a thousand ships so here we go.
2. Zombies and dragons are sure cool, aren't they? Here's some more spectacle for the sake of spectacle. We're going to "put every dollar on the screen" if it kills us.
3. Every character trait we spent years teaching you? Yeah, forget all of that. Tyrion is now a moron because that's what the plot demands. Jon is now a one-note action hero because that's what the plot demands. Cersei is suddenly a tactical genius because that's what the plot demands. Arya is now threatening family members because that's what the plot demands.
4. Forget the rules of this world. Vast distances can be crossed in seconds. Characters survive because the writers want them to, despite their own stupid actions. The telegraphed "cliffhangers" or so trope-y that no one buys them. The forced romance between Jon and Dany is instantaneous and "makes sense" for the plot to proceed.
5. Trope city. Star crossed lovers meeting cute. Redshirts. Littlefinger manipulating in only the most obvious ways. Also, nothing makes sense. Bran knows everything but no one asks him anything. The Red Priests and Priestesses have been dealt with as reincarnation would be inconvenient at this point. Characters emerging from un-survivable fates in deep water, never seen that before have we. Etc.
I don't disagree with your points. However just as the books have become uber complicated and difficult to plot, the show was in the same place. Reality is that to continue the same level of depth probably would have required 4 or more seasons. The showrunners did not want to do it, and the contracts just to keep the cast for that long would probably have been impossible.
Old 08-25-17, 07:39 PM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
Like Draven, I have. I re-read all the books in a series when a new one comes out. An exception: When the final Fitz & Fool Robin Hobb book came out, I only re-read the most recent 6 books. I didn't have the energy for 14 or whatever again, since I'd just done it a couple of years prior.
Actually Feast and Dragons are MUCH better if read at the same time. There are several guides that the list the order to read them and they become much more coherent.

Now of course when Feast was announced, Dragons was essentially supposed to already be done, it was just too big to publish....only took 5 more years to come out.
Old 08-26-17, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts

The Alt-Shift-X on ep6. As with last week, he had some serious concerns and criticisms. He also did a better job of pointing out just how illogical Arya's behavior has been:

Old 08-26-17, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jfoobar
You touched on something I had been thinking as well. They could have fixed most of these problems with better/more plausible set design and a tiny amount of additional footage. The little island they were standing on was attackable from at least 270 degrees and they were saved by a perfectly-timed giant circle of breaking ice. At the end, they were able to defend themselves from a force 100 times their own size for an extended period of time without any substantial topographic advantage to speak of. Absolute nonsense.

Instead:
  • Put them in a more elevated position that was restricted to a single, more easily defended approach
  • "save" them with a more plausible ice break
  • Imply more passage of time with a small amount of additional footage (them eating a little from their supplies, perhaps melting water, even making a fire, why not?)

Combine this with a more plausible reason why Jon got separated at the end (again, use topography to your advantage here), Then all we would be left with is the ridiculous BenJen coincidence and the ridiculous basis for them being their to begin with and you'd have an episode that did not quite so strongly scream, "Haha! You'll eat any crap I serve you!!" into the face of its audience.
Agreed. I think that's why so many people are frustrated. This could have been one of my favorite episodes with a little more intelligent writing. Show one shot of Bran doign his roll eyes in the back of his head thing and then have Benjen come save the day...that would easily explain why he was in the right spot at the right time and would've fit with what we know about the connection between Benjen and the three eyed raven as well...
Old 08-26-17, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts

When you just accidentally read a major spoiler for the finale but you are not sure if it is a legitimate spoiler or not.
Old 08-26-17, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Thanks.I'll have to do some more research.They look like they have half A brain vs. the other walkers.
Old 08-27-17, 05:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JoeySeven
Thanks.I'll have to do some more research.They look like they have half A brain vs. the other walkers.
They certainly do demonstrate Type A characteristics: "competitive, outgoing, ambitious, impatient, and aggressive."

Originally Posted by Hiro11

Didn't quote any of your excellent, lengthy analysis, but .

Originally Posted by johnnysd
I don't disagree with your points. However just as the books have become uber complicated and difficult to plot, the show was in the same place. Reality is that to continue the same level of depth probably would have required 4 or more seasons. The showrunners did not want to do it, and the contracts just to keep the cast for that long would probably have been impossible.
I agree with your main point about why the show has to streamline somewhat, but I believe Hiro (and dave-o and others) understand the need to wrap things up but are disappointed in the choices being made.

Consider that things have been aligning for final confrontations for the past couple of seasons while some major characters have been jettisoned in GoT tradition. That left 15 episodes (some running more than an hour) to conclude the saga. Epic movies with multiple characters have told large-scale stories in 4 hours of less...including introduction of characters & story lines. One would think that 16 hours or more of running time would be sufficient to tie up loose ends in a way that doesn't denigrate the essence of ASOI&F. The audience who bought into this journey (book readers and non-readers alike) did so because GoT was different from the typical "action spectacle fantasy show." There simply isn't any explanation...and worse, any need...for so many outlandishly stupid things to have happened that (to quote Hiro) have moved the show into "Trope City" territory.

The fact that many are so disappointed is a tribute to the initial genius of the saga in creating plausible situations out of an implausible setting and memorable, endearing characters in whom the audience became invested. People aren't complaining because they just like to grip...it's because they care so much and wanted the show to maintain its previous standards.

I believe the showrunners had ample opportunity and time to finish things up in a way that would accomplish that task and satisfy all without leaving a bad taste in the mouths of the most passionate, loyal fans.

Hopefully, the next season will rectify some of the problems and end in a way that returns to past glory and cements the GoT legacy instead of limping flaccidly to a pat ending.
Old 08-27-17, 05:57 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts

watching this again to prep for tonight. that little humor, especially by The Hound, was great. never really see that. except from Tyrion from time to time...
Old 08-28-17, 03:52 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I wasn't able to catch this last week, so I did a double feature of this and the finale.

Man, what a complete and utter shit episode. The show runners have really gotten lazy. TWO deus ex machinas in the same sequence?? And Benjen's just like "Hey nephew" and bounces?

Jon Snow is the most annoying fucking character, in that he always makes the dumbest decisions and it never hurts him. There is no tension or drama when he's on screen.

Fuck, at this point I'm just watching it because I've invested enough time in it that I want to see it end. The show was good but I think it's a huge stretch to call it one of the best shows ever, and episodes like this and episode five drag it down further.
Old 08-29-17, 11:26 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Jon Snow is the most annoying fucking character, in that he always makes the dumbest decisions and it never hurts him. There is no tension or drama when he's on screen.
He died? (Granted he came back, but he was brutally murdered)
Old 08-29-17, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 578 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Fuck, at this point I'm just watching it because I've invested enough time in it that I want to see it end. The show was good but I think it's a huge stretch to call it one of the best shows ever, and episodes like this and episode five drag it down further.
It's the most incredible TV spectacle ever. But if "best show ever" requires good tight writing throughout a series, it clearly ain't there.
Old 08-29-17, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

It's probably one of my favorite shows ever. Best obviously has some different connotations to it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.