Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones (S7E06) -- "Beyond the Wall" -- 8/20/17 -- 75 min episode

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-17, 10:22 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
Game of Thrones (S7E06) -- "Beyond the Wall" -- 8/20/17 -- 75 min episode

FOR THOSE THAT AREN'T AWARE, THIS EPISODE LEAKED EARLY. BE WARNED THAT THERE COULD BE SPOILERS IN HERE BEFORE THE EPISODES AIRS.

IF YOU ARE DISCUSSING THE LEAKED EPISODE YOU MUST USE SPOILER TAGS UNTIL THE EPISODE AIRS.

IF SOMEONE BREAKS THIS RULE, PLEASE REPORT THE POST IMMEDIATLEY.

Synopsis:
Spoiler:
Jon and his team go beyond the wall to capture a wight. Daenerys has to make a tough decision.

Ep. 6 of 7
1:17 length episode.

Last edited by dex14; 08-20-17 at 06:25 AM.
Old 08-19-17, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 279 Likes on 180 Posts
re: Game of Thrones (S7E06) -- "Beyond the Wall" -- 8/20/17 -- 75 min episode

I saw the leaked episode…

My reaction to the episode in emojis:

My thoughts after sleeping on it… (spoilered to protect the innocent)

Spoiler:

Look, I don’t want to be negative. I don’t go out of my way to seek out things to complain about. I love this show. I was so captivated and enthralled by the first season that the following summer I bought the book set and raced through them, undaunted by the dozens of hours of reading thousands and thousands of pages. I couldn’t get enough of this world. The show was flawless for 4 plus seasons….but the show has suffered drastically since Benioff and Weiss didn’t have GRRM’s books to guide them in writing the show anymore. It started last season with Dorne and the Sand Snakes and Arya’s adventures in Braavos. There were still moments of brilliance though.

This season has been rough, but episode 6 is a disaster. It’s the worst written episode of the entire series. This was the “jump the shark” episode. The writers have completely given up and no longer make any effort to write a plot that makes sense. The only goal at this point is to get to the end of the show. I can’t help but wonder how much of this is due to possible burnout for Benioff and Weiss. This show has been their life for 8 years, 24/7. They already have a new show in development despite GoT not being over. If that doesn’t speak to their decreased level of commitment to GoT, I don’t know what does. I also can’t imagine it was HBO’s call for shortened seasons, this had to be B&W’s call. This show is HBO’s cash cow, if it were up to them it would have been 7 or 8 standard 10 episode seasons. This would have been better, because it would have allowed more time to write episodes that didn’t feel rushed.

B&W and the rest of the writers have completely ignored how large this world is. This episode was the worst offender of that. If I’m remembering correctly, in the very first episode of the show King Robert tells Ned that it took months to get from King’s Landing to Winterfell. Granted they were traveling in a large caravan, but the point that is established is that this world is massive.

In this episode, Jon and the gang are headed further north from Eastwatch to capture a wight to prove the White Walkers exist and they all need fight together to stop them. They capture a wight as planned but are overrun and surrounded by more wights led by the Night King. During this, Gendry is sent back to Eastwatch to warn Dany. Let’s forgive that they appeared to be hiking for at least a day or two but Gendry sprints all the way back to Eastwatch. They send a raven to Dany from Eastwatch to Dragonstone, where Dany is. Do you have any idea how far that is?? That bird would have been flying for DAYS if the writers remembered how large this world is. Meanwhile Jon and the gang are just hanging on a frozen rock in the middle of the lake, surrounded by wights and the Night King. They didn’t appear to have supplies outside of their weapons. Couldn’t the writers have shown a couple people carrying food and water, or have someone mention offhand the amount of food and water they have left? Why didn’t the Night King send his army to attack and finish them off? The episode clearly shows the group sleeping and at least a day has past. They apparently have no food or water (again, something that could have easily been resolved by better writing) and they have just been hanging out on this rock with the Night King’s army silently staring at them for hours, if not days.

Of course Dany gets the message and proceeds to fly all the way to the North, past the Wall, from Dragonstone (again, the raven should have taken days to get there, it should have taken days for Dany to get to Jon) and she saves the day. They would have run out of water and food long before this or the Night King would have slaughtered them if B&W gave a fuck anymore. Also, Dany and Drogon should have immediately gone after the Night King after they watched Viserion get killed. Or have Rhaegal go after them. They can breathe blames from really far away, so they could have been within reasonably safe distance of the Night King and his ice spears.

During this point, Jon is moving away from the group to kill wights. WTF are you doing Jon, everyone is getting ontop of Drogon to escape and you move away to kill a few wights? Again, WTF was this writing. Naturally he doesn’t make it back to Drogon and Dany and he gets tackled into the ice water, but survives of course (fan service, Jon can’t die). And then fucking Benjen/Coldhands shows up OUT OF NOWHERE to save Jon and give him his horse so he can ride back to Eastwatch. This is was so frustrating. The writers again had to save Jon’s life and figured they hadn’t used Benjen in awhile, let’s use him. Where was he all this time, was he observing this battle and decided to join in when he saw Jon was in danger? He just happened upon it at the right time? Would have been better if Jon and the gang had run into him while they were making their journey North, but to have him come in last second out of nowhere was just plain bad writing.

I'm in to the end, but the show is far from what it used to be.

Last edited by Osiris3657; 08-19-17 at 11:47 PM.
Old 08-20-17, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S7E06) -- "Beyond the Wall" -- 8/20/17 -- 75 min episode

The episode's title is "Death is the Enemy" according to my dvr.
Old 08-20-17, 09:46 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Originally Posted by dino88
The episode's title is "Death is the Enemy" according to my dvr.
HBO lists it as "Beyond The Wall", but TVGuide has what you said. So I guess it is what HBO lists.
Old 08-20-17, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I've read the synopsis and seen some of the end clips.

Spoiler:
It seems like D&D decided to go for full spectacle over logical storytelling. Kind of a Michael Bay movie approach of linking together cool action scenes with a rather weak plot line. How in the hell would Dany know where to find these guys in the great north? How long would she have to spend in the air to get to them? I've looked at the maps and it's a distance no matter how you cut it. Cool to see the Night King establish himself as the ultimate bad ass, but the whole creation of an Ice Dragon seems more like a fan fiction story to me.

EDIT: Just read more from an above post
Spoiler:
Do Baratheon genetics give people Flash like abilities ? This is the only explanation for Gendry making it back to Eastwatch.

Non-spoiler : they had better at least explain how Euron managed to locate Yara's fleet with all of the right people on the boat, otherwise they've completely screwed this show with plot holes.

Last edited by Dr. DVD; 08-20-17 at 10:05 AM.
Old 08-20-17, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Also, didn't Benjen say in a past episode that death cannot pass the beyond the wall, and neither could he? If so, doesn't that kind of put the kibosh on getting a wight to Cersei or anywhere else beyond the wall? I'm wondering why nobody considered that last week.
Old 08-20-17, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

How would they know that though? They weren't present when he said that.
Old 08-20-17, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, if their mission is a success they'll be sorely disappointed.
Old 08-20-17, 06:51 PM

just saw last week's ep again in prep for tonight. masterful stuff...
Old 08-20-17, 08:23 PM

That Tormund/Hound scene was classic!
Old 08-20-17, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts

If nothing else, the episode was worth watching for the dialogue between Tormund and the Hound.

Edit: Yes, what OldBoy said.
Old 08-20-17, 08:46 PM

I really hope Aidan Gillen could get nominated for Littlefinger. I don't know how much screentime you need to have for Best Supporting, but he's just terrific...
Old 08-20-17, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

terrifying/exciting ending
Old 08-20-17, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

First half was worthwhile for the banter between the group of guys. Second half kind of got a bit too much into style over substance. Entertaining for sure, but after all they have done to keep this show as a slow burn it seemed like too much too fast.
Old 08-20-17, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
This season has been rough, but episode 6 is a disaster. It’s the worst written episode of the entire series.
I only read as far as this before the episode started and, as a result, I expected to be really disappointed with the episode. All I knew before it started was that only Thoros and a few nameless guys die and that Dany loses a dragon.

In all honesty, I didn't think E6 was nearly as bad as E5. This series has relied upon ridiculous coincidence after ridiculous coincidence for a lot longer than this season. That Jon and his merry band were even north of the wall to begin with (and the grander "strategy" that this was a part of) is the biggest joke, but that came last week. Since they were running with it, I think they did a reasonable job of it this week, considering.
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

There's so much to discuss about this episode. Must sleep on it so my heart rate can go down!
Banned

A lot of people are going to have a field day with this one and not in a good way. This may very well have been the true "Jump the Shark" moment for the show.

--
Old 08-20-17, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Entertaining for sure, but after all they have done to keep this show as a slow burn it seemed like too much too fast.
Ultimately, I think the accountants have taken over the show at this point. They have told the producers to wrap it up. There are too many logisitical issues, first and foremost being their ability to keep the cast intact. They have page after page of major plot points from GRRM's notes that they have to squeeze in somehow. Rushing through it is kind of the only choice that they have. They know the fans will mostly forgive them so long as they get to see the end of the story, and they're right.

To give the rest of the story something resembling a proper treatment would take 3-4 more full seasons minimum and that just isn't going to happen.
Old 08-20-17, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Holy Shit... /speechless
Old 08-20-17, 09:46 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Not sure why people didn't like this episode? All I see are a lot of "It sucks!" without any reason why?
Old 08-20-17, 09:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah it DOES feel a little bit like they're rushing through things. It was refreshing to have characters 'teleport' to places as in we don't NEED to see them traveling for 3 days or even write on the screen '3 days later' because we would assume the show was toying with the timeline as in the previous scene where they depart was 3 days ago etc.

But in this episode it was hard to forgive, the fact it was a fixed timeline as in they were WAITING for rescue and we all know it would take multiple DAYS for Gendry to even get to Eastwatch and again more days for the raven to reach Dany and again more days for Dany to actually travel there.

But definitely still entertaining. but we do sense they are rushing through things. It kinda feels like as if you're taking an exam and you're taking your time making sure you have the right answers and all and all of a sudden the teacher tells you you only have 30 mins left and you scramble and just rush through answers lol
Old 08-20-17, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jfoobar
Ultimately, I think the accountants have taken over the show at this point. They have told the producers to wrap it up. There are too many logisitical issues, first and foremost being their ability to keep the cast intact. They have page after page of major plot points from GRRM's notes that they have to squeeze in somehow. Rushing through it is kind of the only choice that they have. They know the fans will mostly forgive them so long as they get to see the end of the story, and they're right.

To give the rest of the story something resembling a proper treatment would take 3-4 more full seasons minimum and that just isn't going to happen.
3 or 4 seasons seems a bit much. Once the people come together against he white walkers the show has to end soon. Dany forces were so overwhelming the show was always gonna end soon after she got to Westeros.
Old 08-20-17, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Who needs the internet when you have ravens?
Old 08-20-17, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657

My reaction to the episode in emojis:

My thoughts after sleeping on it… (spoilered to protect the innocent)

Spoiler:

Look, I don’t want to be negative. I don’t go out of my way to seek out things to complain about. I love this show. I was so captivated and enthralled by the first season that the following summer I bought the book set and raced through them, undaunted by the dozens of hours of reading thousands and thousands of pages. I couldn’t get enough of this world. The show was flawless for 4 plus seasons….but the show has suffered drastically since Benioff and Weiss didn’t have GRRM’s books to guide them in writing the show anymore. It started last season with Dorne and the Sand Snakes and Arya’s adventures in Braavos. There were still moments of brilliance though.

This season has been rough, but episode 6 is a disaster. It’s the worst written episode of the entire series. This was the “jump the shark” episode. The writers have completely given up and no longer make any effort to write a plot that makes sense. The only goal at this point is to get to the end of the show. I can’t help but wonder how much of this is due to possible burnout for Benioff and Weiss. This show has been their life for 8 years, 24/7. They already have a new show in development despite GoT not being over. If that doesn’t speak to their decreased level of commitment to GoT, I don’t know what does. I also can’t imagine it was HBO’s call for shortened seasons, this had to be B&W’s call. This show is HBO’s cash cow, if it were up to them it would have been 7 or 8 standard 10 episode seasons. This would have been better, because it would have allowed more time to write episodes that didn’t feel rushed.

B&W and the rest of the writers have completely ignored how large this world is. This episode was the worst offender of that. If I’m remembering correctly, in the very first episode of the show King Robert tells Ned that it took months to get from King’s Landing to Winterfell. Granted they were traveling in a large caravan, but the point that is established is that this world is massive.

In this episode, Jon and the gang are headed further north from Eastwatch to capture a wight to prove the White Walkers exist and they all need fight together to stop them. They capture a wight as planned but are overrun and surrounded by more wights led by the Night King. During this, Gendry is sent back to Eastwatch to warn Dany. Let’s forgive that they appeared to be hiking for at least a day or two but Gendry sprints all the way back to Eastwatch. They send a raven to Dany from Eastwatch to Dragonstone, where Dany is. Do you have any idea how far that is?? That bird would have been flying for DAYS if the writers remembered how large this world is. Meanwhile Jon and the gang are just hanging on a frozen rock in the middle of the lake, surrounded by wights and the Night King. They didn’t appear to have supplies outside of their weapons. Couldn’t the writers have shown a couple people carrying food and water, or have someone mention offhand the amount of food and water they have left? Why didn’t the Night King send his army to attack and finish them off? The episode clearly shows the group sleeping and at least a day has past. They apparently have no food or water (again, something that could have easily been resolved by better writing) and they have just been hanging out on this rock with the Night King’s army silently staring at them for hours, if not days.

Of course Dany gets the message and proceeds to fly all the way to the North, past the Wall, from Dragonstone (again, the raven should have taken days to get there, it should have taken days for Dany to get to Jon) and she saves the day. They would have run out of water and food long before this or the Night King would have slaughtered them if B&W gave a fuck anymore. Also, Dany and Drogon should have immediately gone after the Night King after they watched Viserion get killed. Or have Rhaegal go after them. They can breathe blames from really far away, so they could have been within reasonably safe distance of the Night King and his ice spears.

During this point, Jon is moving away from the group to kill wights. WTF are you doing Jon, everyone is getting ontop of Drogon to escape and you move away to kill a few wights? Again, WTF was this writing. Naturally he doesn’t make it back to Drogon and Dany and he gets tackled into the ice water, but survives of course (fan service, Jon can’t die). And then fucking Benjen/Coldhands shows up OUT OF NOWHERE to save Jon and give him his horse so he can ride back to Eastwatch. This is was so frustrating. The writers again had to save Jon’s life and figured they hadn’t used Benjen in awhile, let’s use him. Where was he all this time, was he observing this battle and decided to join in when he saw Jon was in danger? He just happened upon it at the right time? Would have been better if Jon and the gang had run into him while they were making their journey North, but to have him come in last second out of nowhere was just plain bad writing.

I'm in to the end, but the show is far from what it used to be.
I can't really disagree, but I would add that pitting Arya vs Sansa is pretty dumb too, and very contrived/force - doesn't make a lick of sense.
Old 08-20-17, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,280 Likes on 731 Posts

The undead fight scene was ridiculous. It went on far too long without losing more people.

Still, from a purely entertainment perspective, it delivered.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.