DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Game of Thrones (S7E06) -- "Beyond the Wall" -- 8/20/17 -- 75 min episode (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/641110-game-thrones-s7e06-beyond-wall-8-20-17-75-min-episode.html)

jfoobar 08-21-17 02:58 PM

Re: Game of Thrones (S7E06) -- "Beyond the Wall" -- 8/20/17 -- 75 min episode

http://i.imgur.com/DQBVC9z.jpg

Nefarious 08-21-17 03:02 PM

^ That's good Twitter.

Osiris3657 08-21-17 03:12 PM

Didn't realize how many Transformers fans watch GoT. "Who cares if the plot that makes sense?!? Durr action seens r wat mater! Oooo dragons, FIRE swordz, zombis!!!11!@!"

Giantrobo 08-21-17 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 (Post 13140258)
Didn't realize how many Transformers fans watch GoT. "Who cares if the plot that makes sense?!? Durr action seens r wat mater! Oooo dragons, FIRE swordz, zombis!!!11!@!"

:lol:

fumanstan 08-21-17 03:20 PM

:lol: :up:

New-AgeOutlaw 08-21-17 03:30 PM

I took it as Littlefinger saying Brienne was honor bound to protect Sansa and Arya. I thought Sansa sent Brienne away so she could not protect Arya.

The north is already upset that Jon has been gone so long and may start seeing Sansa as their Queen. Sansa pointed out she had 100s of men willing to behead Littlefinger if need be. Is she thinking those 100s might be willing to do that to Arya if she needed them to or could she be counting on Littlefinger to do in an unprotected Arya.

It's obvious Sansa likes the idea of being Queen of the North even though she originally turned it down in favor of Jon.

New-AgeOutlaw 08-21-17 03:32 PM

Of course, Its very well possible are doing this as a show. Playing mind games to beat Littlefinger at his own game.

LurkerDan 08-21-17 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by New-AgeOutlaw (Post 13140278)
I took it as Littlefinger saying Brienne was honor bound to protect Sansa and Arya. I thought Sansa sent Brienne away so she could not protect Arya.

The north is already upset that Jon has been gone so long and may start seeing Sansa as their Queen. Sansa pointed out she had 100s of men willing to behead Littlefinger if need be. Is she thinking those 100s might be willing to do that to Arya if she needed them to or could she be counting on Littlefinger to do in an unprotected Arya.

It's obvious Sansa likes the idea of being Queen of the North even though she originally turned it down in favor of Jon.

I wasn't sure how to take the Brienne thing.

Sansa is most definitely playing the game and has been for a while. Whether she wants the throne over everything else is yet to be seen.

Bill Needle 08-21-17 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by LurkerDan (Post 13140233)
well, I am expecting they still have a role to play in the game.

I'm sure there will be some dramatic moment between them and/or Littlefinger. Arya didn't hand Sansa the Stark Assassinatin' dagger for nothing (personally I took it as a "you first" moment, especially with Sansa then sending Brienne out for smokes). To me in the big picture - especially given how little there is left to the series - this is a precious timewasting plot development. There is no need to start bringing new threads of conflict into the story given the considerable number that exist to be tied and the already hasty manner that those are being handled. It has the feel of obligation to give theses long running major characters something to do because you can't just send them out on Gendry's boat. That is why I'd rather they had just killed off one or both of them. To me, Arya's arc ended when she offed the Freys. I can't see her being the one to take out Cersei, so what else is left for her to do? Oh yeah, pick a fight with Sansa based on half finished conversations and misunderstandings that would make Three's Company writers uncomfortable.

Decker 08-21-17 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe (Post 13140052)
We get the time/travel issues. We get them. But it's starting to get a bit silly to complain about the same thing week after week. It's like watching the Jersey Shore every week and complaining on the internet about the fact that they keep talking about gym, tan, and laundry. We get that you have an issue with it, but why do you keep watching a show and complaining about something that happens in it every week?

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 13140060)
I don't watch every Game of Thrones episodes expecting travel stuff to stand out. It did in particular in this episode. So it's worth commenting, given the circumstances specific to this episode.

Originally Posted by jfoobar (Post 13140067)
The show has always had "time warp" issues, arguably out of sheer necessity. The show has not always had "time travel" issues. These, along with the fairly massive change in show pacing, obviously rankle some viewers, myself included.

Really it's one thing to Yada Yada a transcontinental sailing journey. It's quite another to put characters in jeopardy and then magically warp heroes there to rescue them. I don't need to see every passage of time, but to suddenly have Dany show up with three dragons after what could not possibly be more than a couple of days in a stand-off is patently ridiculous. A guy I was talking with this morning asked why I was hung up on that in a show about dragons and I told him "I'm willing to go with the flow as long as it adheres to an internal logic. Dany showing up almost immediately after a help request was sent is equivalent to Jon & Co suddenly breaking out AK47s and mowing the White Walkers down". It's a storytelling cheat that isn't in any way plausible or earned.

kefrank 08-21-17 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by New-AgeOutlaw (Post 13140278)

Hm, it is fairly ambigious, but that's now how I interpreted it. Littlefinger seemed to be suggesting that if Sansa could get Arya to attack her, Brienne would be required to defend Sansa and hurt or eliminate Arya. This would be to Littlefinger's advantage because Arya is clearly a threat to him, but of course he was framing it as being to Sansa's advantage, not his. Sansa sent Brienne away, taking Brienne out of that equation. Brienne can't protect or hurt either of them if she's in King's Landing. Sansa told Brienne in not so many words, "I know Littlefinger is a conniving scoundrel. I've got this."

I think the enmity between Sansa and Arya is real, but I think Sansa was testing Littlefinger when she asked for his advice in distress. This is definitely speculation, but I think she suspected he was involved in Arya finding the letter and she wanted him to expose what his next step of manipulation would be.

I think at best she's conflicted about ruling anything at this point.

Azor Ahai 08-21-17 04:44 PM

Basically post #27

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13139707)
Anyway, wow! Just wow! Arya so badass and yeah, little implausible anyone survived attack, but who gives a shit. Pure awesomeness. Jon truly is a feline. And a turned dragon. Fucking game over...

bluetoast 08-21-17 04:47 PM

I mean if you want to argue where they can get water from, you fucking use a fire sword, melt the INFINITE ICE AND SNOW, and drink it. For food, speed, distance, not saying hi to Winterfell on the way back (or at least sending a raven to apprise them of the current situation), lack of contemplation from Jon on WTF Benjen was doing there after the fact, and Theon arriving at Dragonstone two episodes ago with nothing to do but twiddle his di-his thumbs, yeah I don't know. Oh and couldn't they have brought some more Dragonglass weapons with them from that mining phase? Seems like only one or two guys had the appropriate weapons to be there.

Also I'm surprised there's not more people here pissed at Tyrion for advising Dany to sit on her ass and let her A team get killed.

I enjoyed the ep, but now that I'm thinking about it, all this stuff is coming to mind. Fucking internet. :lol:

Decker 08-21-17 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by bluetoast (Post 13140338)
I mean if you want to argue where they can get water from, you fucking use a fire sword, melt the INFINITE ICE AND SNOW, and drink it. For food though, yeah I don't know.

http://wikiofthrones.com/wp-content/...ond-wall-1.jpg

Looked pretty damn finite to me.

DVD Josh 08-21-17 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Cusm (Post 13140203)
He started this whole thing that got their father, mother, brother killed and their other brother crippled.

Correct, but you can add the rest of the Starks to the list as well without his intervention.

JTH182 08-21-17 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 13139870)
Everyone: "Sansa should be queen of Winterfell"
Arya: "BUT WHAT ABOUT HER EMAILS?!?"

That's awesome! Is there a meme of that somewhere?

bluetoast 08-21-17 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13140340)

I dunno man, looks like plenty of room for one dude to go ice fishing. Or the fire sword to make a Looney Tunes style hole in the ice. Okay maybe you're right. :D

LurkerDan 08-21-17 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13140329)
Really it's one thing to Yada Yada a transcontinental sailing journey. It's quite another to put characters in jeopardy and then magically warp heroes there to rescue them. I don't need to see every passage of time, but to suddenly have Dany show up with three dragons after what could not possibly be more than a couple of days in a stand-off is patently ridiculous. A guy I was talking with this morning asked why I was hung up on that in a show about dragons and I told him "I'm willing to go with the flow as long as it adheres to an internal logic. Dany showing up almost immediately after a help request was sent is equivalent to Jon & Co suddenly breaking out AK47s and mowing the White Walkers down". It's a storytelling cheat that isn't in any way plausible or earned.

well said

DVD Josh 08-21-17 05:14 PM

I think the problem is that the show doesn't do a good job of conveying the passage of time.

DaveyJoe 08-21-17 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by jfoobar (Post 13140142)
100%. The rationale is simply silly. Of course there is time warping in the TV show. There has to be. But the show has never felt so rushed before. If this were the lone issue, it would be easily forgiven and overlooked. But sprinkle in some really questionable writing, plot points that just make no sense at all and/or simply serve as awkward filler while we wait for the real plot to happen at that location, and actual impossible time travel elements and even some of the most ardent fans of the show are going to be left scratching their heads.

This season has 30% less content. Next season will only have 6 episodes when we're used to ten. This is not going away, if anything, it's going to get worse.

Draven 08-21-17 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 13140176)
Also, wearing zero face-protection, Danny's face should've frozen off considering she's flying up in the air, fast, through sub-freezing temperatures. She's impervious to fire, not cold.

Maybe sitting on the dragon is like sitting on a furnace. And they haven't been wearing hats in the cold since episode 1 of this show. Why should they start dressing appropriately for the weather now?

Draven 08-21-17 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh (Post 13140360)
I think the problem is that the show doesn't do a good job of conveying the passage of time.

I think the problem is apparently people need to SEE characters constantly in boats or on horseback because they can't understand how travel happens otherwise :lol:

The show has been like this since the beginning. The only reason people are bitching now is because the main characters are actually interacting with each other instead of all wandering around on their own paths.

Before you'd have Dany doing one thing and Jon doing another and since they had zero interaction, it didn't stick oUT. But now when Dany does something that connects with Jon, everyone's trying to line up the timelines perfectly. They are still taking a long time. My assumption is that they were on that rock for several days. I didn't need to watch the sun rise and set multiple times to know that.

Why So Blu? 08-21-17 05:34 PM

As far as the not wearing hats thing -- Aren't they all Northerners? What would the snow do to them anyway -- within the show's logic? I was in Denmark last year and it rained and it was cold as fuck and the men would wear shorts in what would be 30-40 degree weather. Certain folk from certain regions can do this. Fuck all this minutia bullshit. Do yourselves a favor and skip the season finale. :sarcasm:

Giantrobo 08-21-17 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe (Post 13140362)
This season has 30% less content. Next season will only have 6 episodes when we're used to ten. This is not going away, if anything, it's going to get worse.

The show has "jumped the dragon" for them. it'll be over soon. He even admits he thinks that the writing is suffering. As I've always said, when a film or show is liked, people let things slide and when it's not liked as much, every little thing becomes a major issue.

Funny thing is all this bitching about time travel and location jumping..

BUT NOT ONE GODDAM WORD ABOUT WHERE THE FUCK THE DEAD GOT BIG ASS CHAINS TO PULL A FUCKIN' DRAGON OUT OF A LAKE!!!!

davidh777 08-21-17 05:43 PM

No need to be insulting. :lol:

I understand the complaints about time and space--I wondered how long it would take for Dany to arrive, but I accepted the idea that they were sitting there on that rock long enough for it to happen. And then I don't feel a need to get hung up on it.

Is there a time gap in your post? ;)