Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones (S7E06) -- "Beyond the Wall" -- 8/20/17 -- 75 min episode

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-17, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S7E06) -- "Beyond the Wall" -- 8/20/17 -- 75 min episode

Aaaaand we're still complaining about travel issues. Yeah, I wondered how long it would take for Dany to arrive, but we don't know how long they were sitting on that rock, and I don't really care to nitpick it. I'd rather continue to complain that the original plan to capture a wight was stupid, but at least Jon acknowledged that. I assume it will have some kind of payoff to make it worth our eye-rolling (meaning I assume the wight won't melt as soon as it crosses the wall).

Frankly I was mostly bummed about the dragon. Dany needs to figure out how to identify threats on the battlefield. And I was hoping they'd at least take a shot at the white walkers, but it looks like the plan all along was to evacuate. And I didn't expect the turning even though the bear should've been my clue.

Originally Posted by slop101
Everyone: "Sansa should be queen of Winterfell"
Arya: "BUT WHAT ABOUT HER EMAILS?!?"
Old 08-21-17, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by LurkerDan
exactly. and honestly, it's not very realistic to think Arya has emotionally matured. She's older and obviously wiser in many ways, but it's not like she's had many meaningful relationships in that time, and I imagine learning the craft of an assassin doesn't exactly teach one how to forgive, empathize, etc.
I disagree. In my opinion, her time with the Hound set up a character arc that allowed for someone who she hated and distrusted to earn a level of trust with her. There's also a key piece of dialog from that time in which the Hound tells Arya how he saved Sansa from being raped and killed by a mob in King's Landing and tells her to ask Sansa if she ever sees her again. For all of their petty disagreements shown earlier, this should have given Arya some sympathy toward her sister and, along with all the ugliness in the world she had seen with her own eyes by that point, given her reason to engage now with Sansa on a different level than her previous childish animosity. The way she is acting now devalues the arc her character was on in that entire time with the Hound, IMO.
Old 08-21-17, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

People who bitch about the speed of ravens and pace of GOT need to realize. They are FORCED to finish the story in very few episodes. DEAL.
Old 08-21-17, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 578 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
I disagree. In my opinion, her time with the Hound set up a character arc that allowed for someone who she hated and distrusted to earn a level of trust with her. There's also a key piece of dialog from that time in which the Hound tells Arya how he saved Sansa from being raped and killed by a mob in King's Landing and tells her to ask Sansa if she ever sees her again. For all of their petty disagreements shown earlier, this should have given Arya some sympathy toward her sister and, along with all the ugliness in the world she had seen with her own eyes by that point, given her reason to engage now with Sansa on a different level than her previous childish animosity. The way she is acting now devalues the arc her character was on in that entire time with the Hound, IMO.
good point, hadn't considered that (and had forgotten those specific details).
Old 08-21-17, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 915 Likes on 675 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
People who bitch about the speed of ravens and pace of GOT need to realize. They are FORCED to finish the story in very few episodes. DEAL.
My concern is how the show will effect the future books (assuming they ever come out). Will Martin take the time to flesh out extra story during all the travel? Or will he reduce the books down to what we see on the show and not add his own content?
Old 08-21-17, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

The travel issues do not bother me much, but they were on full display in this episode. Putting those aside, the constant fake outs and last second saves of the primary characters are what really annoy me. There were three of those JUST for Jon Snow in this episode, and I never believed any of them for even a single second.
Old 08-21-17, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Noonan
My concern is how the show will effect the future books (assuming they ever come out). Will Martin take the time to flesh out extra story during all the travel? Or will he reduce the books down to what we see on the show and not add his own content?

I don't think the books will adhere to what we've already seen on the show. That may be why he's taking his sweet time -- it would be sort of redundant if Martin adapted the show to his books now.
Old 08-21-17, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Regarding the Arya/Sansa stuff, while I get the complication and history between the two, for me it's just a conflict I don't really care to see at this juncture in the show. I hope it comes to a swift resolution, hopefully by way of Littlefinger's death.
Old 08-21-17, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 915 Likes on 675 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I don't think the books will adhere to what we've already seen on the show. That may be why he's taking his sweet time -- it would be sort of redundant if Martin adapted the show to his books now.
My concern is that Martin won't take the time to come up with all the extra content. Not only that, any extended content he writes would still have to match up with the outcome of the show. IMO, at best we'll get a bare bones wrap up book which re-tells the show story with some more colorful language and descriptions.
Old 08-21-17, 11:04 AM

Received 4,580 Likes on 3,100 Posts

So, what day do you think the finale is going to get leaked? Seems like the hackers are threatening again.
Old 08-21-17, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm calling it now -- Varys will be King. I watched an old episode -- the one where Littlefinger tells Farys that chaos is a ladder and when Littlefinger asks him what he wants Farys turns and gives the sword throne a really long look. That is some serious fucking foreshadowing.

#thespider

/micdrop
Old 08-21-17, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

I can live with the travel compression. As others have said, it's always happened. It's just a slightly larger scale in this episode.

The only real nitpick I have is the army of the dead pulling the dragon out of the water. The chains they were using were massive, and unless that army is of superhuman strength, they wouldn't even be able to lift the chains. Yes, total nitpick.

Bring on the season finale, as I'm really enjoying this!
Old 08-21-17, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
So, what day do you think the finale is going to get leaked? Seems like the hackers are threatening again.
This episode wasn't "hacked", it was mistakenly leaked by foreign HBO.
Old 08-21-17, 11:23 AM

Received 4,580 Likes on 3,100 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
This episode wasn't "hacked", it was mistakenly leaked by foreign HBO.
The last one that leaked prior to last nights was hacked.
Old 08-21-17, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Regarding the Arya/Sansa stuff, while I get the complication and history between the two, for me it's just a conflict I don't really care to see at this juncture in the show. I hope it comes to a swift resolution, hopefully by way of Littlefinger's death.
I agree. I don't really care about it unless it ends up leading to a major development.
Old 08-21-17, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts

I agree with all of the justifications for Sansa and Arya's behavior. Arya is a teenager and Sansa is not much older, they've never gotten along and now Arya is sniping at her sister. Seeing the letter was the last straw. Arya idolized her father. She said that if she were in Sansa's shoes, she wouldn't have done what Sansa did. Which is easy to say when you aren't actually in the situation.

It doesn't surprise me to see a teenager fly off the handle when her suspicions about her older sister are basically confirmed.

Arya will come around eventually, I'm sure.
Old 08-21-17, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

But why does Arya give Sansa the dagger? What was the point/purpose of that?

If only they would sit for a few minutes and talk to each other about the last few years, they could work it out.

Or just go ask the all knowing-all seeing brother they have.
Old 08-21-17, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,805 Likes on 1,127 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
I agree with all of the justifications for Sansa and Arya's behavior. Arya is a teenager and Sansa is not much older, they've never gotten along and now Arya is sniping at her sister. Seeing the letter was the last straw. Arya idolized her father. She said that if she were in Sansa's shoes, she wouldn't have done what Sansa did. Which is easy to say when you aren't actually in the situation.

It doesn't surprise me to see a teenager fly off the handle when her suspicions about her older sister are basically confirmed.

Arya will come around eventually, I'm sure.
Plus to me it shows just how fucked up/shady/clever Littlefinger is to be able to stir up discord with little effort.
Old 08-21-17, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Plus to me it shows just how fucked up/shady/clever Littlefinger is to be able to stir up discord with little effort.
As I said earlier, this has to lead somewhere, then it'll be worth the effort. As much as we're complaining about the expedited pace this season, it'd be a waste to use this as plot filler.
Old 08-21-17, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by boogieman03
But why does Arya give Sansa the dagger? What was the point/purpose of that?

If only they would sit for a few minutes and talk to each other about the last few years, they could work it out.

Or just go ask the all knowing-all seeing brother they have.
Yes, teenagers often sit down to have mature conversations about their feelings towards their siblings.

Arya gave Sansa the dagger to say "I'm not going to kill you today." But she knows that Sansa can't use it against her - it's a total power play.

Something an immature child might do. Which, of course, Arya actually is.
Old 08-21-17, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

We get the time/travel issues. We get them. But it's starting to get a bit silly to complain about the same thing week after week. It's like watching the Jersey Shore every week and complaining on the internet about the fact that they keep talking about gym, tan, and laundry. We get that you have an issue with it, but why do you keep watching a show and complaining about something that happens in it every week?
Old 08-21-17, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
We get the time/travel issues. We get them. But it's starting to get a bit silly to complain about the same thing week after week. It's like watching the Jersey Shore every week and complaining on the internet about the fact that they keep talking about gym, tan, and laundry. We get that you have an issue with it, but why do you keep watching a show and complaining about something that happens in it every week?
I don't watch every Game of Thrones episodes expecting travel stuff to stand out. It did in particular in this episode. So it's worth commenting, given the circumstances specific to this episode.
Old 08-21-17, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
This show has ALWAYS had "travel" issues. It's been presented inconsistently through the entire series. Dragons have nothing to do with it. You either suspend reality and enjoy the universe or you complain about sharp knees. Pretty clear which one you prefer.
The show has always had "time warp" issues, arguably out of sheer necessity. The show has not always had "time travel" issues. These, along with the fairly massive change in show pacing, obviously rankle some viewers, myself included.
Old 08-21-17, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I don't watch every Game of Thrones episodes expecting travel stuff to stand out. It did in particular in this episode. So it's worth commenting, given the circumstances specific to this episode.
Bookmarking this for when you want to complain about the travel stuff next week.
Old 08-21-17, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

How does this whole "send a raven" thing work? Is it supposed to be like homing pigeons? Wouldn't that mean they would have had to take a raven or two that lived at Dragonstone when they went to Eastwatch in order for the raven to fly back to Dragonstone? It's always seemed like anyone can send a raven to any other location. This would seem to necessitate a big business of continually bringing ravens to remote locations just in case they need to bring a message back to their home.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.