DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Game of Thrones (S7E06) -- "Beyond the Wall" -- 8/20/17 -- 75 min episode (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/641110-game-thrones-s7e06-beyond-wall-8-20-17-75-min-episode.html)

Lara Means 08-21-17 12:29 AM

Re: Game of Thrones (S7E06) -- "Beyond the Wall" -- 8/20/17 -- 75 min episode

I think it's fucking ridiculous that the season 7 leaked story spoilers that I read back in November of 2016 all turned out to be true. I posted the link if anyone wants the season finale ruined.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...ry-insane.html

Decker 08-21-17 12:46 AM

Here is a handy illustration of the distance traveled this episode by the Jon & Dany storyline:

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/...e-Wall-map.jpg

slop101 08-21-17 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by boogieman03 (Post 13139776)
Can somebody breakdown what just happened between Arya and Sansa?

Contrived artificial conflict in screenwriting.

Also...

http://i.imgur.com/G6A495p.jpg

Decker 08-21-17 12:54 AM

Really, Australia? You'd think he would represent some Scandinavian country or maybe Iceland.

Bill Needle 08-21-17 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 13139725)
Again, can someone please make sense of why Arya and Sansa are at odds?

Because they no longer serve any other purpose?

mwbmis 08-21-17 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13139786)
Here is a handy illustration of the distance traveled this episode by the Jon & Dany storyline:

The raven and Dany got caught in a 24 vortex where everything is five minutes away.

I guess that answers the years old question on who would be riding Viserion.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Ghost is a shitty direwolf. Where the hell is he? This would have been a good time to show up.

I don't know why they just didn't go and put red shirts on all the guys we didn't know who went on that mission.

Jokes aside. I liked the episode a lot. Sure the time thing bothered me a little, but as soon as they had Gendry run back to the wall I kind of prepared myself for it. All other things aside a lot of the episode was worth it just for the unusual character pairings that we've never had before. Tormund and the Hound was awesome.

DJariya 08-21-17 01:11 AM

From what I took from it, Arya is pissed at Sansa because she felt that she was weak and could have done more to prevent the execution of their Dad. Granted what could she have really done? She was a teen and suffered through constant humiliation and fear from Joffrey and Cersei. I wish Sansa would have said that to her.

I was surprised that Dany didn't show a little more emotion seeing one of her dragons die.

The white walker sequence with Jon Snow and his gang was well made, although it did drag a little.

johnnysd 08-21-17 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by Draven (Post 13139756)
Great episode! No problems with the travel. Sorry to see a dragon go down but at least we can get rid of the dumb "Jon on one dragon, Tyrion on another" fan theory. And pretty sweet that they turned one.

Season finale looks pretty epic. Can't wait!

Can almost guarantee that happens in the books

Josh-da-man 08-21-17 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13139796)
From what I took from it, Arya is pissed at Sansa because she felt that she was weak and could have done more to prevent the execution of their Dad. Granted what could she have really done? She was a teen and suffered through constant humiliation and fear from Joffrey and Cersei. I wish Sansa would have said that to her.

Sansa couldn't have done anything. That was a capricious decision by Joffrey. Even Cersei didn't want Ned executed because she knew it would start a war. The King gave his order, and it was carried out. Maybe Tywin could have stopped him if he was there, but nobody else could have.

fumanstan 08-21-17 02:03 AM

The travel was pretty annoying in this episode, as well as most of the fights beyond the wall. Benjen showing up just to sacrifice himself was pretty terrible to me, and I'm not sure how Jon could have gotten out of that water. I'm still entertained by the show, but coupled with some of the other stuff this season like Jamie in battle, things are certainly getting more on the ridiculous side.

I'm also not a big fan of the Arya/Sansa stuff, especially on the Arya side. I'm surprised Dany didn't comment on the wound to the heart of Jon.

Numanoid 08-21-17 02:36 AM

Hmm, yeah. For all the action and crucial plot developments, I spent way more time in this episode rolling my eyes and saying, "That's ridiculous" to myself than in any other episode that I can remember. Most of those ridiculous things have already been mentioned. But hey, if you can get grown men to react like eighth-graders (see one or two posts in this thread), I guess they don't really need to worry a lot about making sense anymore. More dragons and deus ex machinas!

nickdawgy 08-21-17 02:47 AM

This whole season has been "I leave for ________" in one scene and "I get to _______" in another.

Who cares? Watch the show.

Maybe next time they'll spend time showing us their travel there and add a couple episodes to the season. They're out to satisfy. Fan service. Bad writing. Call it what you want. I'm entertained. You should be too.

mcnabb 08-21-17 05:30 AM

After reading the first few negative comments in here about this episode, I'm honestly staying away and not even commenting about this episode. I swear I don't think anyone is pleased about anything anymore in TV & Movies, as the internet just creates nitpicking and dissecting every little problem you find.

95% of TV is just utter crap these days, and this is one of the few great shows. Was there some minor things I had a problem with last night? Yes, but I'm not going to let it ruin my enjoyment because the show has earned the right after 6 seasons. Just watch it and fucking enjoy it because (as I said a few weeks ago) this is the last great TV show that everyone is watching together in this age of streaming and DVR.

Now continue with your bitching while you all will probably ignore this post.... :lol:

Noonan 08-21-17 07:01 AM

I'm on the same page as others here. I get that people involved want to wrap the show up. But to do it by completely throwing away the scale is bad writing. The scenes here seemed more like plot devices rather than true story telling. "Know what would be cool?? If we made a dragon turn!" So then we have the whole, we need to capture one story. IMO, that whole section wasn't moving the story forward; it was just there to reach the end of zombie dragon. They could have come up with better means of explaining Dany and the dragons being north of the wall but here we are...

csant 08-21-17 07:04 AM

I agree that while there are a shit ton of "wtf" scenes and story telling. What do you expect when they don't have a lot of time to finish the story? I am just glad we're finally seeing the dragons kick ass, the night king continue to be a badass.

Can't wait till Sunday to see the season finally. Then a long ass wait to the final season. =(

Luds 08-21-17 07:05 AM

http://www.oddee.com/_media/imgs/art...in-wreck_8.jpg

jfoobar 08-21-17 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 13139739)
So they did it. Danny is in love with Jon now? More incest incoming!!!

We covered this topic in last week's thread. Using U.S. laws as a basis for comparison, sexual intercourse between an aunt and a nephew (who are both otherwise consenting adults) is only incest in one state: Florida. They would be civilly prohibited from marrying in several other states, however.

Note that the primary reason that incest is a crime is due to the supposed higher rates of child deformities, etc. from such pairings. Note that in the pivotal scene in the ship's cabin at the end of this week's episode where it became 100% clear that Jon and Dany had feelings for one another, Dany emphasizes that the dragons are her children and that she can not ever have another. That is not a coincidence. This is the writers reminding the audience that it's ok if these two characters bone.

Also note the prior dialogue between Dany and Tyrion about settling her line of succession. Also not an accident. Assuming the following two expected things happen:

1. Dany and Jon become a couple and both survive to the end of the series;
2. Dany and/or Jon sit upon the Iron Throne;

Then establishing their line of succession will be a pretty key plot point at the end of next season since they will not be able to have children. I'm sure the writers will come up with some feel good answer to that.

Nefarious 08-21-17 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by jfoobar (Post 13139837)
Then establishing their line of succession will be a pretty key plot point at the end of next season since they will not be able to have children. I'm sure the writers will come up with some feel good answer to that.

My prediction...

Spoiler:
...Queen Sansa

jfoobar 08-21-17 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by windom (Post 13139778)
I could be wrong, but don't wights just resurrect on their own from being dead? I thought this was more like how the white walkers touch human babies and they turn into white walkers.

The show has been a bit inconsistent about this process. The man who fell into the pack of wights and was chewed up immediately rezzed on his own Dawn of the Dead style in this episode, or that's what it looked like anyway. However, none of the wildling dead from Hardhome rose until the Night King did that resurrection thing at the end. The way that all of the wights but one died when Jon killed the walker earlier in the episode also suggested the hard link between the walkers and the wights, further suggesting that the wights have to be deliberately created.

In the case of the dragon, yeah, the Night King touched it in the same way that Kraster's male infants get touched. This strongly suggests to me that the dragon is a walker, not just a wight.

Eric F 08-21-17 07:42 AM

Does zombie dragon breathe ice?

majorjoe23 08-21-17 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD (Post 13139203)
Also, didn't Benjen say in a past episode that death cannot pass the beyond the wall, and neither could he? If so, doesn't that kind of put the kibosh on getting a wight to Cersei or anywhere else beyond the wall? I'm wondering why nobody considered that last week.

But didn't we see a wight south of the wall in the first season?

I just looked it up, Othor and Jafer Flowers were killed north of the wall, then reanimated after reaching Castle Black.

stingermck 08-21-17 08:16 AM

People arguing about travel time and im like OMG Zombie Dragon!

kefrank 08-21-17 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by jfoobar (Post 13139841)
The show has been a bit inconsistent about this process. The man who fell into the pack of wights and was chewed up immediately rezzed on his own Dawn of the Dead style in this episode, or that's what it looked like anyway. However, none of the wildling dead from Hardhome rose until the Night King did that resurrection thing at the end. The way that all of the wights but one died when Jon killed the walker earlier in the episode also suggested the hard link between the walkers and the wights, further suggesting that the wights have to be deliberately created.

In the case of the dragon, yeah, the Night King touched it in the same way that Kraster's male infants get touched. This strongly suggests to me that the dragon is a walker, not just a wight.

I agree it's been somewhat inconsistent, but to me the key thing is that dead things are resurrected as Wights. The Night King turns living human infants into White Walkers, but we've never seen something dead become a White Walker have we?

Jason 08-21-17 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 13139849)
Does zombie dragon breathe ice?

Won't that be fun?

I'm sure people will bitch about it though.

slop101 08-21-17 08:28 AM

Everyone: "Sansa should be queen of Winterfell"
Arya: "BUT WHAT ABOUT HER EMAILS?!?"