Search this Thread

Old 08-20-17, 06:26 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts
Twin Peaks (S1E15) -- "The Return - Part 15" -- 8/20/17

There's some fear in letting go.
Old 08-20-17, 07:48 PM

Re: Twin Peaks (S1E15) -- "The Return - Part 15" -- 8/20/17

Geez... I wonder how close Catherine Coulsons's death was to filming those scenes.
Old 08-20-17, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Geez... I wonder how close Catherine Coulsons's death was to filming those scenes.
From what I've heard, she died a week or two after they were filmed.

Fantastic episode tonight. For those that checked out on this series, it's really started to pay off in the last couple of episodes. Lots of tears tonight - both of joy (early on) and sadness (later on). And finally -
Spoiler:
Cooper's back!
Old 08-20-17, 10:53 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Spoiler:
Or is he????

Excellent episode. One of the best.

Last edited by Dan; 08-20-17 at 10:58 PM.
Old 08-21-17, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

The episode worked up until that scene with Steven & the little Hayward sister. The second half was really par for the course (bad editing, pacing, etc). Feel trivial to complain about at this point but you can't ignore it.

Hopefully we've seen the last of Dougie.
Old 08-21-17, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

I thought this was a great episode. What a wrenching scene with the Log Lady. Catherine Coulson gave one of the bravest performances I could imagine. It was such an incredible sendoff not only for the character but for the actress as well. Lynch and Coulson had such a long working relationship that I'm sure he wanted to give her a proper goodbye.

I also enjoyed Big Ed finally getting a break. A lot of people have said that it felt like Lynch has often been trolling the audience this season, but Ed and Norma getting together felt like it was something done just for the fans.
Old 08-21-17, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Yeah I was happy for Ed and Norma. We still got another annoying pointless Audrey scene though.
Old 08-21-17, 02:44 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The Audrey scenes have a Waiting for Godot element to them. The always talking but never going, the repetition of phrases and messages, the cyclical feel to it.
Old 08-21-17, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts

I was thinking more of The Exterminating Angel.
Old 08-21-17, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
The Audrey scenes have a Waiting for Godot element to them. The always talking but never going, the repetition of phrases and messages, the cyclical feel to it.
Originally Posted by William Fuld
You know, that hadn't occurred to me before, but I can totally see that. That actually makes me appreciate those scenes slightly more - but just slightly.
Old 08-21-17, 04:08 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by William Fuld
That's applicable as well, definitely.
Old 08-21-17, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I didn't care for the episode....again.

My theory on this series is that Lynch has created an 18 hour exercise in film editing where anyone can go in and randomly....RANDOMLY....remove 9 hours, and you'll end up at the same place.
Old 08-21-17, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, I think it's amazing that we got a 18 hour major Lynch work this late in his career. It's stunning filmmaking.
Old 08-22-17, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
I didn't care for the episode....again.

My theory on this series is that Lynch has created an 18 hour exercise in film editing where anyone can go in and randomly....RANDOMLY....remove 9 hours, and you'll end up at the same place.
Hahahahahahaha.
Old 08-22-17, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

I keep going back and forth on this series. Some weeks I'm real disappointed and feel cheated, another weeks like this one I'm overjoyed by how much fun I had watching the show.

There were so many great scenes in this:
-Nadine and Ed in a scene again
-Ed and Norma having a moment of happiness
-WTF is going on with Audrey's husband? That guy is so fascinating, I think I'd watch him in his own show
-Cooper going through the same painting hallway Laura did in Fire Walk With Me
-The emotional final Log Lady scene
Old 08-23-17, 04:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Decent episode filed with nice scenes but as a whole I didn't find the episode that great. More memorable for its parts listed above.
Old 08-23-17, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Audrey stuff is pretty obvious to me - she's in a coma or (at the least) in some kind of psychotic delusion and if she exits that room, she "breaks" back into reality.

Find it funny that so many people complain about the pacing...have you never seen anything from Lynch before? It's his M.O. This is Twin Peaks as he always wanted it to be - and it's been great.
Old 08-23-17, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Find it funny that so many people complain about the pacing...have you never seen anything from Lynch before? It's his M.O. This is Twin Peaks as he always wanted it to be - and it's been great.
I’m a huge Lynch fan going all the way back to Eraserhead. But it seems like that approach is one of the typical Lynch apologists. Television is a completely different medium than film and that’s what makes the pacing complaints valid. It’s more than reasonable for the audience to expect some sort of payoff at regular intervals. Watching a man drool all over himself and everyone around him look like buffoons over a 12 week period isn’t exactly enthralling. Neither is a two minute sequence of someone sweeping a bar, the wandering or lack of a cohesive narrative or the abandonment of the town that’s supposed to drive those narratives, etc. And you can’t abandon storylines for 2-3 episodes and expect the audience to remain engaged. There’s numerous issues stopping the revival from being worthy of its heritage and pacing is absolutely at the top of the list. It’s hard to judge before it’s completed but I’d say that it’s been good but it hasn’t been great.

I’m happy that some of the audience is enjoying it. But we all have to be honest about the product rather than putting blind trust in a 71 year old man who’s 20 years past his prime.
Old 08-23-17, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by starseed1981
I’m a huge Lynch fan going all the way back to Eraserhead. But it seems like that approach is one of the typical Lynch apologists. Television is a completely different medium than film and that’s what makes the pacing complaints valid. It’s more than reasonable for the audience to expect some sort of payoff at regular intervals. Watching a man drool all over himself and everyone around him look like buffoons over a 12 week period isn’t exactly enthralling. Neither is a two minute sequence of someone sweeping a bar, the wandering or lack of a cohesive narrative or the abandonment of the town that’s supposed to drive those narratives, etc. And you can’t abandon storylines for 2-3 episodes and expect the audience to remain engaged. There’s numerous issues stopping the revival from being worthy of its heritage and pacing is absolutely at the top of the list. It’s hard to judge before it’s completed but I’d say that it’s been good but it hasn’t been great.

I’m happy that some of the audience is enjoying it. But we all have to be honest about the product rather than putting blind trust in a 71 year old man who’s 20 years past his prime.
I don't disagree, but the 20 years past his prime comment is false since Mulholland Drive is only 16 years old. And that is top tier Lynch.
Old 08-23-17, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14
I don't disagree, but the 20 years past his prime comment is false since Mulholland Drive is only 16 years old. And that is top tier Lynch.
Ah, you are correct. Agreed, Mulholland Drive is all types of fantastic.
Old 08-23-17, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts

Lots to like in this episode.

Nadine, Big Ed & Norma was a great moment any fan would be cheering at. Everett McGill is a criminally underused actor and Wendy Robie as Nadine hasn't lost a step. Terrific work.

The trip to the "Convenience Store." Another gem of perfect Lynchian surrealism I feared we might never see again until the Return was announced. It's just a reminder how lucky we are to get this. Not in a million years would I think David Bowie would be replaced with a giant teapot but it was all kinds of cool weirdness.

Really enjoying the Audrey/Charlie scenes. Each one is such a tease and mystery as to what is really going on. On the one hand it's difficult to think this is really occurring but the coma theory seems equally unlikely given she has knowledge of people we have seen at the Roadhouse including Chuck, who Audrey mentions in the first conversation. No matter the outcome I just really like both actors in these scenes.

The farewell to the Log Lady was beautifully done.

I really don't want this series to end. Only 3 more hours but I'll savor every minute of them.

The Return has surpassed my expectations. I've had quibbles with some scenes and characters just as I did with the original series but for me this has been unpredictable and far more satisfying than if the show had picked up just as it left off focusing only on the Twin Peaks characters we're all familiar with and Cooper back to his old self in the first episode with yet another Bob-like murder to solve.

I remember when original Peaks got a backlash once the critics got tired of it not being neatly solved and FWWM got excoriated for not being exactly like the series so it's been no surprise seeing some of the response. For me the Return has served up of a juicy slice of pure Lynch in all his surreal eccentric brilliance and it has delivered in spades.
Old 08-24-17, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love this Return including the pacing. Sometimes I'll wait a day or two to watch an episode so I'm fully awake. Can't wait to re-watch it.

I bet this whole Twin Peaks world takes place inside the radiator from Eraserhead.
Old 08-24-17, 11:35 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

This series shows that sometimes studio meddling can be a good thing.
Old 08-24-17, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts

I've had my complaints about some the things in this series, but one of the genuine highlights has been the Log Lady and her interactions with Hawk. That was a beautiful, moving, heartbreaking farewell to the character and the actress.
Old 08-26-17, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This series has made me feel "meh" about everything else on TV. I have absolutely zero interest in any other hour drama right now. To me, this is Lynch showing us what can be done with the medium. He's really broke the mold over what you can do in an hourly series. I can see why some hate it (heck, the ratings are proving that MOST hate it), but damn - we're going to look back at this in a decade and see just how groundbreaking it was. Much like a lot of us have with FWWM (which I disliked in 1992, but now think of as one of Lynch's best movies).

I think once this series hits streaming/Blu-ray and people who haven't had the patience to wait week to week (or just don't want to pay for Showtime) sit down and watch it in chunks, it's going to have a much larger appreciation. Of course, by the time that happens it will be too late to do more, but I think Lynch expected that, given he's thrown just about everything into this one (including nods to all his own work, as well as the work of those he admires - like Kubrick).