Netflix Buys Millarworld, Mark Millar's Creator-Owned Publishing House

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 08-08-17, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

https://io9.gizmodo.com/netflix-buys...-pu-1797592167

The stable of characters thought up by the writer who co-created Wanted, Kingsmen, and Kick-Ass has been bought by one of the biggest players in filmed entertainment.

Announced today via press release, Netflix’s purchase of Millarworld makes the streaming service the exclusive home of the British creator’s yet-to-be-optioned properties. Here’s the relevant stuff from the Netflix release:

Together, Netflix and Millar will bring Millarworld’s portfolio of critically and fan-acclaimed character franchises to life through films, series and kids’ shows available exclusively to Netflix members globally. Millarworld will also continue to create and publish new stories and character franchises under the Netflix label.
“As creator and re-inventor of some of the most memorable stories and characters in recent history, ranging from Marvel’s The Avengers to Millarworld’s Kick-Ass, Kingsman, Wanted and Reborn franchises, Mark is as close as you can get to a modern day Stan Lee,” said Netflix chief content officer Ted Sarandos. “We can’t wait to harness the creative power of Millarworld to Netflix and start a new era in global storytelling.”
“This is only the third time in history a major comic book company has been purchased at this level,” said Millar. “I’m so in love with what Netflix is doing and excited by their plans. Netflix is the future and Millarworld couldn’t have a better home.”

Millar put forth words of his own on the Millarworld site, including a special acknowledgement to the artists he’s worked with and noting that Kick-Ass and Kingsmen have special deals elsewhere:

Warner Bros bought DC Comics in 1968. Disney bought Marvel in 2009. Today Netflix purchased Millarworld and I’m still blinking. This is only the third time in history a comic-book company purchase on this scale has ever happened.

I started Millarworld as a creator-owned comic-book company nearly 15 years ago, after talking some artist pals into being their own bosses. We’d all had success at DC and Marvel, but this was a chance to control the characters created and reap the rewards from any future movies, TV or merchandise that ever came from those characters and books. Over the years, Millarworld has amassed twenty different franchises working with the world’s greatest artists and now Millarworld has been bought by the hottest, most exciting entertainment company on the planet. To say this is the best thing that ever happened in our professional lives would be an understatement.

I’d like to take this moment to thank all the artists who were caught up in my enthusiasm over the years and who co-created these properties with Millarworld. Artists are often left out of news-stories, but trust me when I say that the only reason these books have looked so beautiful is because Millarworld worked with the greatest draughtsmen of their generation. I’d like to thank Frank Quitely, Stuart Immonen, Goran Parlov, Leinil Francis Yu, Rafael Albuquerque, Steve McNiven, Greg Capullo, Sean Murphy, JG Jones, Duncan Fegredo, Tony Harris, Dave Gibbons and John Romita Jr for their belief in my crazy plan and their friendship during even the tightest of deadlines.

It’ll be interesting to see which Millar-brand (TM) properties wind up being adapted at Netflix first. I’d put money on something character-driven like MPH being on the fast track. Oh, man, that happened totally by accident...
Old 08-08-17, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Re: Netflix Buys Millarworld, Mark Millar's Creator-Owned Publishing House

Millar's "Millarworld" books, -I've only read them in trade form, -read like "spec" scripts and I think they're better for that. I find his work far more enjoyable and satisfying these days. "Huck" and his take on a "Flash Gordon"-type character (I forget the name, writing off the cuff) have been my favorites so far. He's got a "Watchmen" type of book that's a little more complex. Frankly, most of the books are Millar's version of a popular property or storyline.
Old 08-08-17, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Only the third time something of this scale has happened? I guess if you ignore D.C. buying Wildstorm, Marvel buying Malibu and probably a half dozen others that I'm blanking on at the moment.
Old 08-08-17, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 82 Likes on 76 Posts

Already posted it.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-...quisition.html
Old 07-17-18, 02:32 PM

Received 302 Likes on 215 Posts

Netflix is building a Mark Millar TV-film universe with the pickup of two series based on the comic book writer’s stories, superhero epic Jupiter’s Legacy and American Jesus, a multi-lingual series that follows a twelve-year-old boy who suddenly discovers he’s returned as Jesus Christ; and three films, Empress, Huck and Sharkey The Bounty Hunter. They will be shepherded by such top creative auspices as Steven S. DeKnight and Lorenzo di Bonaventura (Jupiter’s Legacy), and Ted Melfi and Neal H. Moritz (Huck), Everardo Gout and Leopoldo Gout (American Jesus), Lindsey Beer (Empress) and Michael Bacall (Sharkey the Bounty Hunter).

This marks Netflix’s biggest multiple-project order since the streaming giant inked the original Marvel deal for four series and a limited series. It comes less than a year after Netflix acquired Millarworld, the comic book publisher founded by Millar which has spawned stories such as Wanted, Kick-Ass, Kingsman and Old Man Logan. Since then, Netflix has been developing projects with Mark and his wife, Lucy Millar, including The Magic Order, which was published as Netflix’s first comic book and became the biggest selling new comic-book franchise in nearly 20 years. Sharkey The Bounty Hunter also is being adapted as a comic book to be published by Millarworld/Netflix in 2019.

“My wife Lucy and I are eleven months into our jobs at Netflix and it’s everything we hoped for to the power of ten. To see a movie based on your work every couple of years is incredibly exciting, but to see them all happening at once like this and with talent this high-end is just off the scale,” said Millar. “These are writers and directors I’ve privately been sending fan-mail to over the last eighteen months so to be working with them all is just enormously exciting. This really is the greatest creative environment I’ve ever worked in. I can’t wait to switch on my computer every morning.”

Millarworld properties have spawned three hit movie franchises, Wanted, Kick-Ass and Kingsman. A couple of the Netflix projects announced today had already been in the works before the company’ acquisition of Millarworld — di Bonaventure had started developing Jupiter’s Legacy in 2016; Millar teamed up with Roth and Jeff Kirchenbaum on an Empress movie also in 2016.

Here are details about the newly picked up series and movies followed by a trailer:

SERIES

Jupiter’s Legacy — A multi-generational American superhero epic, Jupiter’s Legacy follows the world’s first generation of superheroes who received their powers in the 1930’s. In present day they are the revered elder guard, but their superpowered children struggle to live up to the legendary feats of their parents. Steven S. DeKnight (Marvel’s Daredevil, Spartacus, Buffy the Vampire Slayer), who recently signed an overall deal with Netflix, will serve as showrunner and executive producer, with Lorenzo di Bonaventura and Dan McDermott also serving as executive producers for the series. DeKnight will also direct the first episode.

American Jesus — Multilingual (Spanish/English) series American Jesus follows a twelve-year-old boy who suddenly discovers he’s returned as Jesus Christ. He can turn water into wine, make the crippled walk, and, perhaps, even raise the dead! How will he deal with the destiny to lead the world in a conflict thousands of years in the making? Everardo Gout (Marvel’s Luke Cage, Sacred Lies, Mars, Banshee, Aqui En La Tierra) and Leopoldo Gout (Molly’s Game, Instinct) will serve as co-showrunners and executive producers on the series. Everardo Gout will also direct.

FILMS

Empress — Queen Emporia is married to (literally) the worst dictator in the galaxy, King Morax. After escaping his palace with her children, Emporia and her family, must hide from Morax and his army at all costs — even if it takes teleporting from planet to planet to avoid them. Writer Lindsey Beer (Kingkiller Chronicle and the upcoming Sierra Burgess is a Loser for Netflix and Wizards of Once for DreamWorks Animation) is adapting the comic book into a feature film, with Joe Roth and Jeff Kirschenbaum (The Voyage of Doctor Dolittle, Maleficent) set to produce.

Huck — In a quiet seaside town, Huck uses his special gifts to do a good deed each day. His neighbors return the favors by keeping his abilities a secret. But when a newcomer alerts the media, a firestorm erupts, sending Huck on an adventure that will change everything. Ted Melfi (Hidden Figures, St. Vincent) is adapting the comic book into a feature film, with Neal H. Moritz and Toby Jaffe set to produce.

Sharkey The Bounty Hunter — Set in a brilliant new sci-fi universe, Sharkey is a blue-collar bounty-hunter tracking criminals across the galaxy in his converted, rocket-powered ice-cream truck. Aided and abetted by his ten-year-old partner, he’s out for the biggest bounty of his career. Sharkey the Bounty Hunter will be adapted and published as a Millarworld/Netflix comic next year and writer Michael Bacall (Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, 21 Jump Street) is writing the screenplay for the feature film.
Old 07-17-18, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson View Post
Millar's "Millarworld" books, -I've only read them in trade form, -read like "spec" scripts and I think they're better for that. I find his work far more enjoyable and satisfying these days. "Huck" and his take on a "Flash Gordon"-type character (I forget the name, writing off the cuff) have been my favorites so far. He's got a "Watchmen" type of book that's a little more complex. Frankly, most of the books are Millar's version of a popular property or storyline.
All of Millar's stuff after a certain date read like barebones Hollywood scripts - you can tell all he cared about when writing comic books was getting optioned by a studio. It got a lot worse when he broke free from Marvel and DC.

While he has had a few interesting ideas, they don't in my estimation make for particularly great reads. Millar's stuff is mostly shallow and lacks weight, waiting for a better writer to flesh out the characters. Though I haven't read much of his more recent work, maybe he's changed.
Old 07-17-18, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm really surprised Nemesis(what Batman would be like if he was a bad guy) has not been made yet. Seems like an easy concept to translate.
Old 07-17-18, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 182 Likes on 137 Posts

Yeah, pretty much every comic Millar has done since Wanted has been a movie pitch.
Old 02-12-19, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 237 Likes on 187 Posts

Some casting news for Jupiter's Legacy:
https://tvline.com/2019/02/11/josh-d...etflix-series/

Josh Duhamel, Ben Daniels, Leslie Bibb, Matt Lanter.
Old 05-16-19, 01:35 PM

Received 302 Likes on 215 Posts

Netflix is expanding the Mark Millar film-TV universe with a series order to The Magic Order, with James Wan (Aquaman) and Lindsey Beer (Chaos Walking, Sierra Burgess is a Loser) attached as executive producers. Wan also will direct the debut episode and Beer will serve as writer/showrunner on the series based on Millar’s comic published by Netflix.

The Magic Order joins the two series based on the comic book writer’s stories, Jupiter’s Legacy and American Jesus, and three films, Empress, Huck and Sharkey The Bounty Hunter, which were greenlighted last year.

In The Magic Order, five families of magicians sworn to protect our world must battle an enemy who’s picking them off one by one. By day they live among us as our neighbors, friends and co-workers, but by night they are the sorcerers, magicians and wizards that protect us from the forces of darkness — unless the darkness gets them first.
https://deadline.com/2019/05/the-mag...es-1202615995/