Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Cobra Kai (YouTube) - Karate Kid sequel series - Season 1 Thread - S: Macchio, Zabka

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Cobra Kai (YouTube) - Karate Kid sequel series - Season 1 Thread - S: Macchio, Zabka

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-19, 03:45 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Re: Cobra Kai (YouTube) - Karate Kid sequel series - Season 1 Thread - S: Macchio, Zabka

Broken record here, but holy crap that first season was awesome! Teaser and trailer look like season two will be even better.

Met Zabka about fifteen years ago when he was promoting his academy award nominated short film Most. He seemed like a great guy.
The following users liked this post:
JeremyM (01-11-22)
Old 04-17-19, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts
Re: Cobra Kai (YouTube) - Karate Kid sequel series - Season 1 Thread - S: Macchio, Zabka

This. Is. Awesome. The perfect parody promo.

Old 06-07-19, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I finally got around to watching this on Amazon, and they charge for Season 1? When did they start doing this? I think it's a stupid policy for their homegrown TV series, as you want to entice people to get them to watch it. Charging me to watch a show that I might like or not like after I already have a subscription is bad business. Sorry, but I'll skip it until Season 1 is for free. They need to learn from Netflix.
Old 06-07-19, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I am a little confused. Doesn't Amazon charge for all non original content from other paid services? Why would a YouTube premium show be free on Amazon?
Old 06-07-19, 12:23 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Originally Posted by coli
I finally got around to watching this on Amazon, and they charge for Season 1? When did they start doing this? I think it's a stupid policy for their homegrown TV series, as you want to entice people to get them to watch it. Charging me to watch a show that I might like or not like after I already have a subscription is bad business. Sorry, but I'll skip it until Season 1 is for free. They need to learn from Netflix.
It's not an Amazon show.
Old 06-07-19, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
It's not an Amazon show.
My bad as I thought it was an Amazon show for some reason. I came across it the other night when I was scanning through Amazon shows, and that is why I got confused. Thanks! I see it's a YouTube show, as I'm gonna give it a watch now!
Old 08-31-19, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Season 1 is now free with ads on youtube. Season 2 will be free Sept. 11. It deserves some Emmy nominations. This show is great!
Old 11-24-19, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

Recently switched over to YoutubeTV for broadcast TV and decided to check out Cobra Kai, as I was a pretty big fan of The Karate Kid when I was growing up. To my great surprise, my wife also got hooked as I was watching the first season. There's just something about it that grabs you and won't let go. I do think it's pretty uneven and cheesy in parts, but that's also part of its charm. My only real complaint is that some of the character "development" is way too abrupt and unearned (see the absurd "Hawk" transformation, for example - I know it's played for comedic effect but it pulls me out of the show a little too much). Still, a minor quibble for an overall very enjoyable show. We're going to jump into season 2 as soon as we can.

Last edited by kefrank; 11-25-19 at 10:35 AM. Reason: crane-kicking bad grammar
Old 12-17-20, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 349 Posts

I just finished Season 1 - and loved it! Was never a big Karate Kid fan (only saw the first one) so I was pretty ambivalent about bothering with this. Something got my attention last week so I watched the first episode. And one every night. Much more than what I expected it to be! On to the Second Season!
Old 12-17-20, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Bronkster
I just finished Season 1 - and loved it! Was never a big Karate Kid fan (only saw the first one) so I was pretty ambivalent about bothering with this. Something got my attention last week so I watched the first episode. And one every night. Much more than what I expected it to be! On to the Second Season!
If you haven't watched Karate Kid Part II yet, I'd watch that before Season 3 comes out
Deftones (12-17-20)
Old 01-07-21, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

I never did watch this on Youtube but finally caught up with this on Netflix. What an amazing heartfelt series. Can't wait to get into season two and three. I read they are looking at a 6 season arc. That is good with me. Loved the first season really shocked how good it is.
Old 01-01-22, 11:49 PM

Received 1,916 Likes on 1,130 Posts

Originally Posted by story
I've played with getting YouTube Red off and on simply because my kids like YouTube and it would be nice to have it commercial-free. Offline play would be nice, too. Everybody's glowing reviews of Cobra Kai here may push me over the edge to try it.
I'm watching the first episode of the first season for the first time right now! It took the show going to Netflix and the hype of season four premiering for me to get there, but I like it.
Old 01-03-22, 10:13 AM

"Hawk."

Man, I am liking this show!
devilshalo (01-03-22)
Old 01-04-22, 12:31 AM

wwwWWWWWOOOOOWWWWWwww!!!

That was sooooo, sooooo gooooooooood! Loved every moment of it.

The ghosts of the past, the threads pulled tight with the kids, the twist ending, the season two setups, plural, just the whole thing. Wow, that was great. I waited too long, but I'm also glad I started now when season four is fresh and I can join in the zeitgeist of the conversation. I'll catch up with you all really soon!
Old 01-04-22, 03:14 AM
Cool New Member

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I've also started watching this now it's on Netflix. Bloody hell is this show good. Helped in no small part that it doesn't adhere to the insufferable American TV series formual of making 20 + episodes a season! Where only like 8 to 10 episodes of actual plot exists!

Oh you can definitely see all the bits that would be dragged out to death. I give streaming services a lot of shit. But this is something they are definitely doing that's all for the better.

story (01-04-22)
Old 01-04-22, 08:29 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

My bad!

Last edited by Gizmo; 01-04-22 at 09:22 AM.
Old 01-04-22, 09:05 AM

Hey, um, maybe no spoilers for those of us talking about the first season in the first season thread, Giz?!
Old 01-04-22, 09:23 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by story
Hey, um, maybe no spoilers for those of us talking about the first season in the first season thread, Giz?!
Oops! I didn't even see that and thought it was just the general discussion. My bad
story (01-04-22)
Old 01-04-22, 09:26 AM

No sweat! Or mercy, apparantly!