Reload this Page >

Room 104 (HBO) -- anthology series created by the Duplass Brothers

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Room 104 (HBO) -- anthology series created by the Duplass Brothers

Old 09-04-17, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,014 Likes on 721 Posts
Re: Room 104 (HBO) -- anthology series created by the Duplass Brothers

I like their TV work and movies quite a bit, but I'm disappointed with this series. There have been a couple of episodes that I've enjoyed, but some of them just fall flat. The most recent episode, in particular, did nothing for me.

I was a big fan of Togetherness and I'm still disappointed that it was canceled.
Old 09-16-17, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 462 Likes on 306 Posts

I really liked the episode with the two Mormon missionaries, the story unfolded with a great momentum of "and then this happened, and then this, and then this..."

The plane crash woman one didn't work for me. I wonder if I might have enjoyed it more had the TV description not explained who she was and what had happened. It probably would have been better to have slowly figured out what her situation was. It was just too vague, and the whole "dead person has to make a decision" is such a boring story. A story is entertaining when people make decisions, whether they're good ones or bad ones. Watching people sitting around 'cause they don't know what to do is boring. Stop making shows about that.
Old 11-09-18, 08:58 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6DAJuBPUThg" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
ROOM 104: Set in a single room of a typical American chain motel, this anthology series tells different stories of the assorted characters who pass through it. From creators and executive producers Mark and Jay Duplass, episodes range from comedy to drama to horror. The 12-episode second season begins Nov. 9.
Old 09-26-19, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts

So I read about S3, sounded interesting, I'm checking out S1 on Hulu/HBO.
I'm...not sure. I like the concept, and I like anthology type shows, and I really like the fact that they're stand alone (I already have too many TV commitments.)
But I'm not sure I'm getting the "point" or whatever each episode is trying to do or say.
I'll probably watch another ep or two then decide whether to continue. Or should I only watch certain episodes, or skip ahead to S2?
Usually I can tell within 3 eps if I'm going to enjoy watching at least one season of a show (with some, I can tell I WON'T like it within 1), but this leaves me ambivalent at present.

I don't think I've ever seen a Duplass film or show, although The One I Love and Skeleton Twins are in my Netflix queue.
Old 09-26-19, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,014 Likes on 721 Posts

I'm definitely a fan of the Duplass brothers. I haven't seen everything, but I've enjoyed what I have seen. Togetherness was fantastic, and I liked Blue Jay. Creep was disturbing. Haven't seen Creep 2, yet. I won't comment on The One I Love, other than to say it was interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing Paddleton.

Regarding Room 104, I find it hit and miss. Not surprising for an anthology series, I suppose. I certainly find it good enough to watch each episode.