TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones (S7E02) -- "Stormborn" -- 7/23/17

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-17, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S7E02) -- "Stormborn" -- 7/23/17

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I'm not sure about the "saving Yara's life" part of Theon running away. If Euron wanted to kill her, I feel like he would have done it regardless.
More like ensuring her torture at the hands of enemies. The assertion that Theon saved Yara's life as he fled is pretty silly.

Old 07-25-17, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
More like ensuring her torture at the hands of enemies. The assertion that Theon saved Yara's life as he fled is pretty silly.
Well yeah, that was my point. If he wanted to kill her right then and there, he would have regardless if Theon attacked. If he wanted to keep Yara for other sadistic reasons, Theon attacking wouldn't have mattered.
Old 07-25-17, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well yeah, that was my point. If he wanted to kill her right then and there, he would have regardless if Theon attacked. If he wanted to keep Yara for other sadistic reasons, Theon attacking wouldn't have mattered.
I was agreeing with you.
Old 07-25-17, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
I was agreeing with you.
I know. Just seemed like you were trying to clarify something with the "ensuring her torture at the hands of enemies" remark when I thought I had clearly implied that
Old 07-25-17, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I know. Just seemed like you were trying to clarify something with the "ensuring her torture at the hands of enemies" remark when I thought I had clearly implied that
I was just trying to take it further. Like, perhaps Theon trying to save her and being killed in the moment might be better than suffering whatever torture Cersei and Euron might come up for them, which Theon knows all too well. In ASOIAF, depending on who your captor is, being taken alive can be worse than death. And Euron is giving me vibes closer to Ramsay than Ned Stark. I would say Ellaria and Tyene Sand are most definitely entering a world of hurt when Cersei gets her hands on them.
Old 07-25-17, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

I guess if we see Theon contribute to her rescue, at some point, it'll seem like he did the right thing.

If Yara suffers a fate worse than death, he did the wrong thing.

My feeling is that there'll be some redemption for Theon.

Regarding Euron killing her regardless, I disagree. I think he would've killed her if it meant Theon feeling even partially responsible for her death. Since that's out of play, now, she'll survive for the time being, and potentially be rescued.
Old 07-25-17, 03:06 PM

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

If one of the sand snakes had to survive, I'm glad it was the one with the great tits.
Old 07-25-17, 04:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My wife and I had a thought about Theon during dinner. They were on their way TO Dorn.

The mission was to go get the Dorn troops. Theon could have realized that and end up in Dorn, grab the troops, and head back. His redemption will then be showing up at a critical moment at the head of the Dorn army saving (someone important) and thus redeeming himself. Unlike Euron and the rest of the iron islanders, he's had lessons in the game of thrones from the Starks and Boltons and could realize the more important outcome ... the bigger picture. I'm ignoring the "we have your queen hostage" thing and going with the "they have your queen and princess hostage, after killing the other two! Revenge!" line.

I had been firmly in the "hes saving both their lives by jumping over" camp before this, and maybe they are not mutually exclusive.
Old 07-25-17, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JackoOnHisBacko
If one of the sand snakes had to survive, I'm glad it was the one with the great tits.
You mean the bad poosy. And I doubt she will be on the show much longer.

Headey identifies the Sept explosion as the highlight of season 6, and teases some serious unpleasantness to come in season 7, on account of Cersei having lost everything. “Whatever
was good [in her life] has been erased and she’s a horrible cow to one particular character… It’s really quite loathsome.” Yes, please.
Oh boy, Ellaria is going to be toast.
Old 07-25-17, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Defiant1

Oh boy, Ellaria is going to be toast.

Possibly in a literal sense. If this series will burn a little girl alive, aint no way a full grown woman with a history of violence stands a chance.
Old 07-25-17, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

similar thing happened when Ramsey had Theon at the Dreadfort. Yara tried to rescue him but Theon as Reek didnt want to go maybe thinking It was a trick by Ramsey. Yara escaped and Theon lived another day.
Old 07-26-17, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,940 Likes on 1,501 Posts

Originally Posted by Luds
That sums up the last 2 shows for me.

So Daenerys sails, picks-up (presumebly) the Dornish army with Varys at Sunspear at the end of last season, but waits until she's on Dragonstone to finally have this nice chat with Varys to decide if she'll kill him or not?

Theon jumps in the water. Why the hell didn't Euron or his crew go after him and capture him defenseless in 3 seconds? Or shoot him with a bow.
Well I guess you could explain it as him being essentially worthless and letting him live in shame being a bigger punishment for an Iron. But yeah that scene with him watching the ship sail away was weird.

Poor Dorne just gets the shaft every single time. They're finally ready to contribute and nope. Also I didn't realize that in addition to Colleen Wing and Whale Watcher, the surviving one was the star of the nick jr. show Mia and Me. That just seems odd now.

I did have a feeling of dread in that Arya / Direwolf scene. I didn't think she'd get her head bitten off but I did think maybe her hand. It's a parallel to a scene with Ned and little Arya, though:

Old 07-26-17, 08:29 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

I think Theon has something up sleeve. That Reek showing had something I think/hope. And Uncle knows about it so let him go. Did save Yara and that snake...
Old 07-26-17, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
I think Theon has something up sleeve. That Reek showing had something I think/hope. And Uncle knows about it so let him go. Did save Yara and that snake...
Is this english?
Old 07-27-17, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I think he had a stroke recently.

Who was the member who suddenly started talking like a caveman???

Originally Posted by dan30oly
in therapy

accident when run

hit head

cannot express well
Ah yes dan30oly!
Old 07-27-17, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,280 Likes on 731 Posts

Hard to argue with this.
Old 07-27-17, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 07-27-17, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.makinggameofthrones.com/p...th-alfie-allen

HBO: Theon is no longer identifying as Reek, but he seems to still be struggling with his past. What were the biggest acting challenges playing that?

Alfie Allen: Going back to the imagery of what he saw back then, and allowing that to flood back in. Also, as an actor, having to delve back into something that was so long ago in his arc is pretty crazy. But it’s always been there throughout; it’s just gauging what brings him back, how much is created in his own head, and how much is an effective threat. I would say he’s in a better place, but he’s still definitely harkening back to those memories.

HBO: What was it like filming the scene where Theon jumps off the ship?

Alfie Allen: It was a great thing to shoot. We had an amazing set up. It was all this crazy s**t out in a parking lot, and then they use a blue screen for the ocean stuff. I’m always excited to shoot the stuff between me and Gemma [Whelan, who plays Yara] because she’s fantastic to work with and we’ve built up a relationship over the years. We definitely feel like we are siblings. It was a heartbreaking moment.

HBO: Can you explain that moment from his perspective?

Alfie Allen: There’s conflicting emotions for him, because he’s sort of back in battle mode, which he hasn’t been in for a long, long time. The sight of blood is going to remind him of physical pain or mental torment. It brings him back to that place, and he’s torn as to what to do. The reptilian part of his brain just takes over.
Old 07-27-17, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It would be great if they let Theon have his Littlefinger/Battle of the bastards like moment where he leads a group into battle that saves the day. And I certainly hope Yara makes it through till the end.
Old 07-27-17, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
It would be great if they let Theon have his Littlefinger/Battle of the bastards like moment where he leads a group into battle that saves the day. And I certainly hope Yara makes it through till the end.
I don't really see a story reason why Yara would be kept alive once she makes it to Kings Landing. It's not like she holds much value as a captive. But we'll see.

Btw, who's in charge of Dorne now? The Sand Snakes kinda took it by force, but with them gone/captured are there other Martells around in the books?
Old 07-27-17, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I watched this a few days ago and thought it was a really good follow up to episode 1.

The ship battle sequence was pretty intense.

If any of you watch the show on HBO Go, they have some extras about each episode after it airs. They showed the battle sequence was shot on green screen in a parking lot in Northern Ireland. Pretty freaking amazing the amount of special effects that went into creating that.

The featurette is about 10 minutes long. It's definitely worth a watch.

And I had totally forgotten about Arya's wolf from season 1. The behind the episode extra on episode 2 refreshed my memory about that.
Old 07-27-17, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

It's sad that show viewers hardly remember the wolves, if at all. They were such a large part of the story in GoT; no book reader would forget them. If only they had a larger budget for CGI back then...
Old 07-27-17, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Weren't the direwolves axed from the show mostly over budget reasons? Theatrical quality CGI takes months and months of prep time.
Old 07-27-17, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Apparently they axed a scene between Jon and Ghost this episode too. I know Ghost is like the runt of the litter but is he anywhere near as big as Nymeria?
Old 07-27-17, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Apparently they axed a scene between Jon and Ghost this episode too. I know Ghost is like the runt of the litter but is he anywhere near as big as Nymeria?
Hard to say. Nymeria in particular was absent in the books since she parted with Arya. No source material to go off of in terms of their current size.

Based purely on how the show has portrayed them, I'd say they're the same size. I imagine any of the remaining direwolves who see screen time will look huge to differentiate them from normal wolves.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.