TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones (S7E02) -- "Stormborn" -- 7/23/17

Old 07-27-17, 07:13 PM

Re: Game of Thrones (S7E02) -- "Stormborn" -- 7/23/17

For those wondering how they knew where Yara's fleet was, in the first episode Jamie deduced they would land at Dragonstone. It's likely this information was mentioned to Euron, or he deduced the same.

This doesn't explain tho how they were able to attack what should've been the most protected ship so easily. Unless Yara is a pretty bad naval strategist.

I think Yara will be kept alive long enough for them to extract Khaleesi's battle strategy that was discussed earlier. That's how they find out about the Casterly Rock invasion.
Old 07-27-17, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I had wondered about why Euron would want to keep Yara alive as she is of no particular interest to Cersi. Maybe it's to extract information, sure. But still it feels like a plot device to allow a heroic rescue later.

I felt a little like Scott Evil :
Old 07-27-17, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by karoomba View Post
For those wondering how they knew where Yara's fleet was, in the first episode Jamie deduced they would land at Dragonstone. It's likely this information was mentioned to Euron, or he deduced the same.

This doesn't explain tho how they were able to attack what should've been the most protected ship so easily. Unless Yara is a pretty bad naval strategist.

I think Yara will be kept alive long enough for them to extract Khaleesi's battle strategy that was discussed earlier. That's how they find out about the Casterly Rock invasion.
Even knowing that, it's hard to ambush a fleet, let alone know that there was someone onboard worthy of being a gift to Cersei. I'd prefer the earlier theory that he has spies onboard.

Enron seems like a Ramsey type, but I really hope we don't have any more torture scenes like we've had in the past.
Old 07-27-17, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The thing about the Greyjoys and Ironborn in general is that they are largely incompetent and stupid people. They have no economy except for raping and pillaging people that can't defend themselves. Everything they've set out to do in the books and show they have failed at spectacularly. It's totally in character for Yara to talk a lot of shit and then get too drunk while sailing and get caught unawares by a superior foe.
Old 07-27-17, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by karoomba View Post

Okay, but the issue is that Euron must have passed Dragonstone on his way to Kings Landing to meet with Cersei in the first episode. No one decided to take that very strategic castle before Daenerys landed there. It was completely unguarded. Then, he traveled back past Dragonstone and then attacked Yara's fleet as they were traveling to Dorne. He must have had Littlefinger's warp drive.
Old 07-27-17, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Btw, who's in charge of Dorne now? The Sand Snakes kinda took it by force, but with them gone/captured are there other Martells around in the books?
Unknown.

In the books there is a prominent Martell sister, but it looks like she's been cut and what would probably be her story arc was given to Ellaria Sand.
Old 07-27-17, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe View Post
The thing about the Greyjoys and Ironborn in general is that they are largely incompetent and stupid people. They have no economy except for raping and pillaging people that can't defend themselves. Everything they've set out to do in the books and show they have failed at spectacularly.
I think the Iron Islands subsist by limited agriculture, fishing, and mining. ("Iron" Islands.)

The Greyjoy "We do not sow," and "iron price" stuff is mostly posturing for the old ways. I'm not sure how the Ironborn could run a large scale piracy operation. They would get smacked down by the Iron Throne for raiding and piracy of the other Kingdoms, and pulling that shit in Essos could start a war between Westeros and Essos. Any piracy done by Euron or others would need to be done as a free agent on a small scale.
Old 07-28-17, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In the books Euron was kind of "black magicy" after pirating in the east for many years, so maybe thats how he sneaked up on the other fleet
Old 07-28-17, 02:05 PM
Banned

The thing about the Greyjoys and Ironborn in general is that they are largely incompetent and stupid people. They have no economy except for raping and pillaging people that can't defend themselves. Everything they've set out to do in the books and show they have failed at spectacularly.
And that's not even mentioning the spectacularly, uniquely stupid initiation rite to get jumped into the gang.
Old 07-28-17, 03:01 PM

Yeah, like I said, knowing their location doesn't explain tho how they were able to attack what should've been the most protected ship so easily. I like the idea that the iron born just plain suck. No wonder Jamie cut them down so easily...and that smart one holding one of the northern castles got killed by his own kind when Ramsay & Reek came knocking.
Old 07-28-17, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
And that's not even mentioning the spectacularly, uniquely stupid initiation rite to get jumped into the gang.
Yep:

1. elect a new leader
2. drown them
3. ????

Old 07-28-17, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep:

1. elect a new leader
2. drown them
3. ????

4. Profit
Old 07-28-17, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What's funny is that even if they're super incompetent, the one area they should be experts at is naval warfare.
Old 07-30-17, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Apparently they axed a scene between Jon and Ghost this episode too. I know Ghost is like the runt of the litter but is he anywhere near as big as Nymeria?
ghost went from being the smallest to the largest of all of them

(book only, since hes been poofed away on the show)
Old 07-30-17, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^ I just hope they don't forget about him entirely.