Game of Thrones (S7E02) -- "Stormborn" -- 7/23/17

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-17, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S7E02) -- "Stormborn" -- 7/23/17

Originally Posted by mcnabb
I think the big revelation is the well kept secret that Cersei will have a defense against the Dragons as that somewhat changes everything. Everyone is telling Khalessi to use the Dragons to take over the world, and she is hesitant possibly knowing something like this could happen and then she leaves herself open?

Here is an interview with the actress about the nude scene:

http://ew.com/tv/2017/07/23/game-of-...tainmentweekly
It's weird that they make several references to this being her first nude scene. Do they mean completely nude? Because she's been topless before.
Old 07-24-17, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
Honestly, it could just be placebo effect since we know it's not book material but the stories written in the books were more nuanced and weaving. Since being TV written, it feels more direct with less mystery behind it.

That's an interesting perspective. I asked the same question to a girl I work with this morning as she has read all of the books. She said that the show is moving too fast now, and the books took their time. She said that characters are getting from point A to point B in the same episode, where in the previous seasons (by the books) it may take them 3 episodes to get there and you would get a real sense of their situation. She has always said it was a mistake to shorten the season as Season 7 and 8 should have been 10 episodes each to avoid these quick time gaps.

I don't think she wants to tell me (because I'm a non-book reader), but I think she is disappointed with the first 2 episodes.
Old 07-24-17, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
It's weird that they make several references to this being her first nude scene. Do they mean completely nude? Because she's been topless before.
No, that was a full nude scene before. I think they mean "Love scene" which is admittedly more difficult than just nude bathing scene. But it's weird to mess up the writing like that and make their readers feel like a pervert for wanting to correct their accuracy.

So far I hate what they're doing with Jim Broadbent. They add their first (I think) Oscar-winner to the cast and then turn him into a personified Do Not Touch sign. I get that they have to present Sam with some obstacles and adversity after his season-long trek to the Citadel, but geez this guy is a big wet blanket. I hope they give him some more stuff to do in future episodes and make him a little more interesting.

I watched Talk the Thrones after the episode last night. They mention that this will be our first visit to Casterly Rock, ancestral home of the Lannisters. That made me wonder : where was Tywin Lannister when we met him and "Arry" served as his wine steward?
Old 07-24-17, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 906 Likes on 668 Posts

Pretty sure everything we saw with Tywin was at King's Landing when he became his son's Hand.
Old 07-24-17, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
Honestly, it could just be placebo effect since we know it's not book material but the stories written in the books were more nuanced and weaving. Since being TV written, it feels more direct with less mystery behind it.

Using the fight at the end of this episode as an example; there was nothing shocking about it. We saw it coming based on the conversations and no major characters were lost. That scene in a book would have been more detailed as well as having more consequences. Martin wouldn't have written in such a large battle just for the sake of having it without more happening. I feel it was more TV service than proper GoT story-telling.

Even Arya's scene in episode 1. It was great to watch on screen but at the end of the day, she just killed off a bunch of no-one characters. We already knew the guy was dead, which made it very easy to guess it was her using her "powers". Again, nothing shocking from a story standpoint but very good for the sake of TV and cheering on a character people like.
I think Cersei getting her hands on those who killed her daughter is a pretty big consequence of the battle.
Old 07-24-17, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 906 Likes on 668 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
I think Cersei getting her hands on those who killed her daughter is a pretty big consequence of the battle.
IMO, if written for books, they would have been killed and heads brought back to Cercei. Not just captured with Theon floating away.
Old 07-24-17, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker

I watched Talk the Thrones after the episode last night. They mention that this will be our first visit to Casterly Rock, ancestral home of the Lannisters. That made me wonder : where was Tywin Lannister when we met him and "Arry" served as his wine steward?
Harrenhal
Old 07-24-17, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
Harrenhal
Thank you for that. Will have to Google the location. Don't remember anything about it.

Are we to assume Kevan was living at Casterly Rock until his most recent unfortunate trip to King's Landing
Old 07-24-17, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's an interesting perspective. I asked the same question to a girl I work with this morning as she has read all of the books. She said that the show is moving too fast now, and the books took their time. She said that characters are getting from point A to point B in the same episode, where in the previous seasons (by the books) it may take them 3 episodes to get there and you would get a real sense of their situation. She has always said it was a mistake to shorten the season as Season 7 and 8 should have been 10 episodes each to avoid these quick time gaps.

I don't think she wants to tell me (because I'm a non-book reader), but I think she is disappointed with the first 2 episodes.
She is right, the show is moving fast but I get that budget needs to be allocate to big battles and final payoffs.

So far, it feels like Rome S2.
Old 07-24-17, 09:44 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Sam got another great scene this week while inspecting Jorah of his greyscale and collecting samples. Loved the cutaway as he's delving into the infected flesh with a scalpal only to see someone digging into, what looks to be, a chicken pot pie. Nicely done.
Old 07-24-17, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Euron did say he would not come back to Cerci without bringing "gifts." He's got two now, so there's that.

Someone posted that their friend said that the show is moving really fast in terms of time and length than the books -- keep in mind, this is season is only 7 episodes long, so they're about a third of the way over.
Old 07-24-17, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

The most telling example was Arya's decision to return to Winterfell. If the end of the series wasn't in sight, she would have gone to King's Landing and would have tried to kill Cersei for the rest of the season. Instead, she went to reunite with her family which will help close her character arc.

The point is that they have to start finding ways to bring the characters together for whatever the "final" confrontation will be. They can't leave them all wandering the countryside following completely unrelated plots.
Old 07-24-17, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Between the bed-pan shit last week, and peeling greyscales, I think I have way too weak a constitution to sit through Sam's scenes.
Old 07-24-17, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 07-24-17, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Between the bed-pan shit last week, and peeling greyscales, I think I have way too weak a constitution to sit through Sam's scenes.
I actually think I find the movie 'Seven' less revolting then these scenes with Sam!
Old 07-24-17, 10:41 AM
drc
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for that. Will have to Google the location. Don't remember anything about it.

Are we to assume Kevan was living at Casterly Rock until his most recent unfortunate trip to King's Landing
He was part of Tywin's war council in seasons 1 and 2. I think he was the one who suggested Cersei and her children leave King's Landing for Casterly Rock when Stannis was building his forces and nearing attack. We didn't see him IRC during seasons 3 & 4 when Tywin was in King's Landing.
Old 07-24-17, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
Also, the Martells and Greyjoys have been knocked out of Dany's big alliance, and at the very least they need to rework their siege strategy.

So far I hate what they're doing with Jim Broadbent. They add their first (I think) Oscar-winner to the cast and then turn him into a personified Do Not Touch sign. I get that they have to present Sam with some obstacles and adversity after his season-long trek to the Citadel, but geez this guy is a big wet blanket. I hope they give him some more stuff to do in future episodes and make him a little more interesting.
Maybe their first Oscar winner, but they've had a huge roster of acclaimed actors. I see your point about Broadbent in particular, though.

I assume they need to move fast because of where they need to go in the remaining episodes. I'd love to have gotten more episodes, and maybe they've bitten off more than they can chew, but we'll see.
Old 07-24-17, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by slop101
How the fuck did Euron know where they were going to be?
Also bothered by how easy that was for Euron. Not only should he have bled out from all those cuts - his fleet should've been way more decimated.

I am glad those annoying snakes are dead.

I read that some folks thought that the snakes' weapons should have been laced with poison like they usually are, but I figure everyone was caught of guard. Hell, the mother of the sand snakes was about to eat some bush, so you really can't say everyone had their wits about them. Euron also has some mad fighting skills, so....

Old 07-24-17, 10:49 AM
drc
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mewmartigan
Yeah, sorry...I meant Theon's sister but it looks like the consensus is both sand snakes on the boat and his sister is still alive.
I think I misread that post. Yes, Cerseit won't have much interest in Yara. I'm a little surprised she wasn't killed immediately by Euron. Perhaps he wants to play up the killing of a sibling thing with her to gain Cersei's trust/appreciation.
Old 07-24-17, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,193 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
Harrenhal
Yep, although in the books it was Roose Bolton instead of Tywin.

We haven't seen Casterly Rock in either the show or the books yet.

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Sam got another great scene this week while inspecting Jorah of his greyscale and collecting samples.
I don't think he was just collecting samples, if I understood Sam correctly, he intends to peel off all of the greyscale!
Old 07-24-17, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Is it too obvious to predict a hero arc for Theon in which he vindicates himself by killing Eulon and saving Yara? Is that not what GOT does?
Old 07-24-17, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
Is it too obvious to predict a hero arc for Theon in which he vindicates himself by killing Eulon and saving Yara? Is that not what GOT does?
After the first few seasons, it's hard to imagine anything good really happening for anyone.
Old 07-24-17, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
Yeah, I doubt that'll happen. I could see Theon making some kind of sacrifice but he's dead before this is over.
Old 07-24-17, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Quack
After the first few seasons, it's hard to imagine anything good really happening for anyone.
GRRM has gone on record saying that the story is going to have an overall happy, though bittersweet, ending - similar to LOTR's ending.
Old 07-24-17, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Sick of this forced romance between Missandei and Greyworm. Other than that, good stuff.
I can't say that I like this story line. But, OTOH, she's hot as hell, so...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.