TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Homecoming (Amazon) -- From the creator of Mr. Robot -- 11/2/18

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-17, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Homecoming (Amazon) -- From the creator of Mr. Robot -- 11/2/18

https://tvline.com/2017/07/19/julia-...r-two-seasons/

Amazon is officially in business with the Pretty Woman.
The streaming service has given a two-season order to Homecoming, a half-hour political thriller starring Academy Award winner Julia Roberts, our sister site Deadline reports.

Written by Mr. Robot creator Sam Esmail, Homecoming is described as a political thriller that centers on three characters: a caseworker at a secret government facility (played by Roberts), her supervisor, and a soldier. The project is based on the fictional podcast of the same name, which starred Catherine Keener (as the caseworker), Oscar Isaac, David Schwimmer, Amy Sedaris and David Cross.

For Amazon, the Homecoming pick-up marks their second big get in recent months. Last November, the streamer announced a two-season pick-up for an untitled series from Silver Linings Playbook director David O. Russell, starring Robert De Niro and Julianne Moore.

In addition to Homecoming, Roberts is also set to star in the forthcoming HBO limited series Today Will Be Different.

A 30 minute drama is kind of odd.

Amazon is really beefing up their original content with some stars. I know they have a Robert De Niro series in the works as well.

Or it could be also that Julia Roberts is now up there in age for movie stars and isn't getting quality movie scripts for her as a lead, so now she has to move to TV.
Old 07-19-17, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
re: Homecoming (Amazon) -- From the creator of Mr. Robot -- 11/2/18

Originally Posted by DJariya
Or it could be also that Julia Roberts is now up there in age for movie stars and isn't getting quality movie scripts for her as a lead, so now she has to move to TV.
This is probably true, but at the same time, I don't think a TV series means "slumming it" for movie stars nearly as much as it used to. Honestly, as crappy as most "blockbuster" movies are anymore, the quality, commercial writing is more likely to be found in a TV series.
Old 07-19-17, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

A lot of times bit stars like a TV series because it may keep them home or at least closer to it. I heard that is why Dwayne Johnson does Ballers, so he can be home in Miami.
Old 07-20-17, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
A lot of times bit stars like a TV series because it may keep them home or at least closer to it. I heard that is why Dwayne Johnson does Ballers, so he can be home in Miami.
Then he must not be happy because I heard they've moved production to LA for the latest season.
Old 07-20-17, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,189 Likes on 4,216 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
In the eyes of the Emmys, it doesn't exist. All scripted 30 minute programs are Comedies, all scripted hour-long programs are Dramas, regardless of content. That was a rule change enacted about two years ago (probably in response to OitNB) that I didn't agree with. If Amazon wants to continue chasing Emmys (and I think they do), it's going to be a problem for them moving forward.
Old 07-20-17, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Originally Posted by sauce07
Then he must not be happy because I heard they've moved production to LA for the latest season.
Ballers was forced to move to Los Angeles because Florida basically killed it's entertainment tax incentive program. It has made filming TV and Movies there now almost impossible.
Old 07-20-17, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
In the eyes of the Emmys, it doesn't exist. All scripted 30 minute programs are Comedies, all scripted hour-long programs are Dramas, regardless of content. That was a rule change enacted about two years ago (probably in response to OitNB) that I didn't agree with. If Amazon wants to continue chasing Emmys (and I think they do), it's going to be a problem for them moving forward.
That makes absolutely no sense. What was the rationale for that change? Also it goes to show how much I watch the Emmys, I guess.
Old 07-20-18, 08:17 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

November 2.
Old 09-13-18, 01:21 PM

<iframe width="709" height="399" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9WJSdpE-sJQ" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-29-18, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Comes out this week. Does Prime Video stream the whole season at once or do you have to wait and watch them week by week like Handmaids Tale on Hulu?
Old 10-29-18, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
Comes out this week. Does Prime Video stream the whole season at once or do you have to wait and watch them week by week like Handmaids Tale on Hulu?
They do both, depends on the series.
Old 10-30-18, 05:27 AM

All episodes will be available for this one.
Old 10-30-18, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by dex14
All episodes will be available for this one.
Awesome. Thanks, dex.
Old 11-03-18, 04:00 AM

Rolled through the first 4 episodes of 10. Really good so far. You have to pay attention, and there is a lot of suspense.

I also like the different aspect ratios for today and 4 years from now. Great cast in this one.
Old 11-05-18, 10:30 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 258 Likes on 195 Posts

I finished it tonight. I thought it was much stronger in the second half when everything starts coming together, but I enjoyed it.
Old 11-06-18, 03:59 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 258 Likes on 195 Posts

For all the talk I’m sure there will be about Julia and awards, if anyone deserves a nom it would be Cannavale, He plays a great scumbag in this.
Old 11-06-18, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

What's up with the camera focus? It often looks like only the center of the screen is in focus.

I also wonder what the boyfriend was smoking when he said he wanted kids with Heidi.

Last edited by randian; 11-07-18 at 01:45 AM.
Old 11-07-18, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 390 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
Rolled through the first 4 episodes of 10. Really good so far. You have to pay attention, and there is a lot of suspense.

I also like the different aspect ratios for today and 4 years from now. Great cast in this one.
but wth is with the filming in portrait mode??? Soo weird when it does that.

Watched two episodes so far and it seems pretty decent. Will watch the rest in the coming weeks.
Old 11-08-18, 08:06 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Just finished up, this was a very interesting watch. Not really a complicated or groundbreaking story-line, but I enjoyed a number of things about this.

* 30 Minute run time for a Drama - This was a real treat to bang out a Drama ep in 30 mins, I am very used to a 55 min much slower pace, but this seemed like a lot of meat per ep and it moved at a pretty nice clip.
* Performances - The acting was pretty solid across the board, Although Roberts was the headliner and she was good, I thought Cannavale, Whigham and Stephen James all had nice turns and it was fun to see a Boardwalk Empire reunion.
* Glasses - I got a kick out of Shea Whigham's use of his Glasses, how they connected and unconnected, I wonder if it had a meaning behind it...
* Modern Film Noir..ish type approach , had the pacing of a Film Noir and it picked up the pace at the end of the series
* Filming Style - Although a little abrupt in the HD age of TV, I kinda liked the portrait mode for the future and the HD for the past, was a cool way of adjusting the timelines

I am glad it was renewed and I wonder if they continue the series with the same cast or take a different angle.

Although I bailed on Mr. Robot in S2 or S3, I liked what Sam Esmail did with this.

Well worth a watch for those on the fence, could open the door for some other 30 minute dramas down the line, I hope so anyway.
Old 11-10-18, 04:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We enjoyed it. Liked that it didn't end w the corporation/government offing our heroes, but Geist dumping it on the boss. Neat moment w the turned fork right at the end.
Old 11-30-18, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Just watched the first episode and enjoyed it where I can breeze through this in a week. I go back and forth on whether I like 30 minute shows these days.

On one hand, you can knock out episodes very quickly because you don't have to plan time compared to a 1 hour drama. But the negative of a 30 minute drama is it just feels like they're skimming through everything and that extra little detail really gives depth to a show.

One the other hand, a 1 hour drama demands your time as you really have to be into the show, because there is so many options these days to move onto something else. But I think a 1 hour drama is more rewarding when it is all said and done cause you get more character development cause it really takes it time.
Old 01-16-19, 08:52 AM

It's official: Julia Roberts' time in front of the cameras on Amazon's Homecoming has come to an end.

Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that Roberts' initial deal for Homecoming — the star's first TV series regular role — was for a one-season commitment based purely on the Amazon drama's creative storyline. That said, Roberts will still remain involved as an executive producer alongside showrunner Sam Esmail on the Universal Cable Productions series that landed at Amazon with a two-season commitment.

It's unclear if there will be any other major cast departures for season two or if any of the other freshman stars — including Stephan James, Bobby Cannavale, Shea Whigham, Alex Karpovsky and Sissy Spacek — will return. Amazon and UCP declined comment .

Leading up to and throughout Homecoming's November launch, Roberts remained coy about reprising her leading role as Heidi, a caseworker at a secret government facility. When pressed on her season two status, Roberts told THR in November that she's not prepared to confirm or deny her involvement one way or the other.

That Homecoming would chart its second season without Roberts comes as the series is taking a hard detour from its Gimlet Media podcast on which the series is based. In the podcast version of the story, Heidi spends the entire second season searching in vain for Walter (James on the Amazon take). Seeing as the Amazon adaptation already concluded Heidi's search for Walter, albeit in ambiguous fashion, it seems her story now is truly at its end.

"We've deviated from very much of the podcast, so [season two of] the podcast doesn't really have anything to do with the way the show is going. We're working on a second season, but we have a very different trajectory for our show. I think when I signed on, I had only listened to the first six episodes of the podcast, which is the first season, and then from there we deviated completely. The show starts out fairly close to the podcast, and in the back half of the season we really start to see the major shifts and differences from the podcast," Esmail told THR.

Still, Roberts and Esmail remain friends, which could leave the door open for the actress to pop in should the duo make that decision.

Season two will further explore the storyline that was teased in the season one finale post-credits scene that featured Colin Belfast (Cannavale) and his newly minted Geist Group superior Audrey Temple (Hong Chau) squaring off, with Audrey calming her nerves with a mysterious medicine after the encounter. It suggests creators' Micah Bloomberg and Eli Horowitz's continued interest in exploring the world of Homecoming, albeit without Heidi and Walter as the central characters.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...hUKKDxVG5bctoc
Old 02-07-19, 12:39 AM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Binged this today and quite enjoyed it. Not much actual mystery in it, but there was a lot of tension and the two timelines meshed well. Lots of interesting character touches that added a lot of depth. The romance angle pushed it a little as Roberts basically looks like she is 50 and James looks like she is 25, plus Roberts wig was sort of awful, but they pulled it off well and had good chemistry. The score was quite excellent with early episodes when the mystery was unravelling sounding very much like they came straight from a Columbo episode, and later episodes alternating between quirky, classical and more avante garde pieces. Will watch Season 2, but have concerns based on Season 2 of Mr Robot.
Old 02-07-19, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Binged this today and quite enjoyed it. Not much actual mystery in it, but there was a lot of tension and the two timelines meshed well. Lots of interesting character touches that added a lot of depth. The romance angle pushed it a little as Roberts basically looks like she is 50 and James looks like she is 25, plus Roberts wig was sort of awful, but they pulled it off well and had good chemistry. The score was quite excellent with early episodes when the mystery was unravelling sounding very much like they came straight from a Columbo episode, and later episodes alternating between quirky, classical and more avante garde pieces. Will watch Season 2, but have concerns based on Season 2 of Mr Robot.
The score was excellent because it was taken from various television shows/films. It's not an original score.
Old 02-08-19, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by randian
What's up with the camera focus? It often looks like only the center of the screen is in focus.
I've seen this in several movies, not as exaggerated as this show, but still there. I have no idea who came up with it and what the purpose is. It's distracting as hell.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.