Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

2017 Emmy nominations

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-17, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,189 Likes on 4,216 Posts
Re: 2017 Emmy nominations

I hadn't noticed at first but they also totally snubbed Mr. Robot S2 (which aired early in the eligibility period). While it wasn't up to the heights of S1, I still thought it was great and Rami Malik and the two female stars were worthy of recognition.

It's nice that they've expanded all these categories to seven nominees up from 5, but still in the drama categories there are so many deserving performers and shows that get left out -- none more so than The Leftovers which is creeping into The Wire territory of willful Emmy snubbing.
Old 07-14-17, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Carrie Coon being nominated for Fargo instead of The Leftovers has to be a joke, right? Don't get me wrong, she was great in Fargo as well, but her performance in The Leftovers was on another level.

The biggest noms I'm pulling for are The Handmaid's Tale, Elisabeth Moss, and Atlanta (although I'd be happy with Master of None in that category as well).
Old 07-14-17, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by alli24
Comedy Actor: Aziz Ansari (“Master of None”) of Donald Glover (“Atlanta”)
I LOVE Master of None and its second season is one of my all-time favorite seasons of any show, but Aziz Ansari is a terrible actor. Absolutely deserves nods for writing and directing, and I love that Angela Bassett got a nom, but Ansari as Best Actor? No way.
Old 07-14-17, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TimeandTide
I LOVE Master of None and its second season is one of my all-time favorite seasons of any show, but Aziz Ansari is a terrible actor. Absolutely deserves nods for writing and directing, and I love that Angela Bassett got a nom, but Ansari as Best Actor? No way.
Agreed. Although he does look like a pretty good actor when he's in a scene with his parents.
Old 07-14-17, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by dino88
Carrie Coon being nominated for Fargo instead of The Leftovers has to be a joke, right? Don't get me wrong, she was great in Fargo as well, but her performance in The Leftovers was on another level.
There's no "instead of" in play here. She was eligible for both shows because she was competing in different categories : Best Lead Actress, Drama for Leftovers and Best Lead Actress, Limited Series or Movie for Fargo. She could have (and absolutely SHOULD HAVE) been nominated for both performances.

Among performers who are dual-nominated this year:
Riz Ahmet (The Night Of, Girls)
Matthew Rhys (The Americans, Girls)
Alec Baldwin (SNL, Match Game)
Ann Dowd (Handmaid's Tale, The Leftovers -- thankfully)
Old 07-14-17, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought Carrie Coon's performance in The Leftovers was better the Fargo one. I'm glad she is getting some awards recognition. She is quite underrated.

I'm also happy that Ron Cephas Jones got nominated for This Is Us.
Old 07-14-17, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Somewhere Claire Danes's lip is quivering.

Nothing to do with the Emmy nominations. I just assume it always is.
Old 07-14-17, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
There's no "instead of" in play here. She was eligible for both shows because she was competing in different categories : Best Lead Actress, Drama for Leftovers and Best Lead Actress, Limited Series or Movie for Fargo. She could have (and absolutely SHOULD HAVE) been nominated for both performances.
I didn't realize that. That's puzzling considering Fargo had 2 more episodes than The Leftovers.
Old 07-14-17, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by dino88
I didn't realize that. That's puzzling considering Fargo had 2 more episodes than The Leftovers.
It's not based on episode number. It's because The Leftovers is considered a Drama Series because it follows the same characters and stories over a multi-season arc (even though the location changed yearly) while Fargo is considered a Limited Series because the cast and story changes every season (even if there are a few exceptions in this particular case).

A couple of years ago Treme final season was considered a Limited Series due to its short run of six episodes, but I think the rules have changed since then. They change the rules all the time -- Orange is the New Black was a Drama Series in its first season and was a Comedy Series starting in its second season due to a rules change.
Old 07-14-17, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ah, that's right. I don't know what I was thinking. The Coon omission has left my brain scrambled.
Old 07-18-17, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,015 Likes on 627 Posts

I've been binging 13 Reasons Why on Netflix (two more episodes to go). Damn good show, and now I'm surprised it didn't get any nominations. I know there has been some criticism that it glorifies suicide, but that's a simplistic view IMO. There are some great performances, especially by the two young leads who play Clay and Hannah, and also Kate Walsh playing Hannah's mother.
The writing and directing also deserve notice. The story structure involves a lot of seamless transitions between between flashbacks and the present, and it is done really well.
Old 09-10-17, 10:31 PM

Creative Arts Emmys were given out tonight.

In the Guest Comedy categories, SNL won both - first Dave Chapelle was a surprise winner for Best Guest Actor Comedy (beating out still-Emmyless Hugh Lawrie for "Veep"), then as everyone expected Melissa McCarthy won for her Sean Spicer performance.

In the Guest Drama category, Alexis Bledel won for Handmaid's Tail and longtime TV veteran Gerald McRaney won his first Emmy for Guest Actor Drama for "This is Us", the first and only win for that show tonight.

Strangely, the Best Casting Award has provided a 100% match with the corresponding Best Program winner the past two years. If that holds up again, it's good news for tonight's winners "Stranger Things" (Drama), "Veep (Comedy) and "Big Little Lies" (Limited Series).

In the end, there were no Game fo Thrones-like runaway winners this year. Things were pretty evenly spread out. "Westworld", "Stranger Things" and SNL led the way with five awards a piece, "The Night Of" had four and "Big Little Lies", "Handmaid's Tale" and "Veep" won three a piece.

"Stranger Things" won two awards for their brief opening titles - Best Main Title Theme Music and Best Main Title Design (which as any movie buff could tell you SHOULD have gone to "Feud : Bette and Joan" instead)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-RcPZdihrp4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-10-17, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 811 Likes on 600 Posts

I'm glad to hear Gerald McRaney won. He's a very underrated actor. He was great on This Is Us and Longmire.
Old 09-11-17, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,015 Likes on 627 Posts

^He's also been good in his small recurring role on House of Cards.
Old 09-11-17, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Very happy that Alexis won.
Old 09-11-17, 06:40 PM

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by TimeandTide
I think it's a situation like with Seinfeld,Seinfeld was clearly not one of the best actors on tv but he was the star and creator of the series so it would seem almost out of place if it it's nominated in a bunch of major categories except the star of the series.
Old 09-11-17, 06:49 PM

Plus this is a category won in recent years by Jim Parsons (four times!) and Jon Cryer in recent years. It's almost certainly the weakest of the twelve major acting categories these days. It's not like Aziz is bumping other worthy nominees out of the running really.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primet..._Comedy_Series
Old 09-13-17, 08:17 PM

I was surprised by Alexis Bledel's win.
Old 09-17-17, 09:24 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 907 Likes on 767 Posts

Anyone watching the show? Pretty good. Nice for Glover and Aziz. Veep kicking ass. Big Little Lies dong well too...
Old 09-17-17, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Glad to see Big Little Lies do well. Great show.
Old 09-17-17, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great win for Riz.
Old 09-17-17, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 553 Likes on 404 Posts

I really wish these award shows would stop with the legacy nonsense and just vote for which show is the best of that year. If their is any television critic that thinks that this season of Veep was the best comedy of the year they should have their credentials revoked. I really like Veep but even the biggest fans know it's just going through the motions at this point.
Old 09-17-17, 11:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Big Little Lies and Handsmaid's Tale dominated the night.

My favorite thing tonight was two big wins for Black Mirror "San Junipero" episode. Very much deserved- one of the best hours of TV I have ever seen.
Old 09-17-17, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

I wonder if Nicole Kidman still considers herself to be the mother of the 2 kids she adopted with Tom Cruise. She spoke for a solid 90 seconds about the kids she has with Keith Urban and didn't make so much as a peep about the other 2 she adopted with Cruise.
Old 09-17-17, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 553 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
I wonder if Nicole Kidman still considers herself to be the mother of the 2 kids she adopted with Tom Cruise. She spoke for a solid 90 seconds about the kids she has with Keith Urban and didn't make so much as a peep about the other 2 she adopted with Cruise.
The very first google search I did on Nicole Kidman children is her "gushing" over her adopted children in an article from earlier this year. I'm going to assume she didn't mention them in her speech because they are both adults and her two with Urban are both young so she related it to her character.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.