Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Halt and Catch Fire (AMC) -- Season 4 Thread -- The search begins on Aug 19 2017

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Halt and Catch Fire (AMC) -- Season 4 Thread -- The search begins on Aug 19 2017

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-17, 08:41 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Fb-UWCT-eR4?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/28/1...miere-when-amc

According to AMC,
Spoiler:
the focus for this season will be all about Mutiny and its new competitors finding a way to “navigate the burgeoning Internet.” So it appears that the show will highlight the rise of the search giants that dominate the web, like Google, or Yahoo. We’ll find out how it all goes down when the season 4 begins on August 19th.
This show has been pretty great so far. It's too bad that this will be the final season, but it sounds like it should be good.
Old 07-03-17, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts
Re: Halt and Catch Fire (AMC) -- Season 4 Thread -- The search begins on Aug 19 2017

Some shows don't need to run forever. I think four seasons is already pushing it, but I'm glad they get to finish it knowing it is the end going into the season.
Old 07-03-17, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts
Re: Halt and Catch Fire (AMC) -- Season 4 Thread -- The search begins on Aug 19 2017

The show has always been more about the characters then the story to me, as I've never been a tech geek. I'm kinda glad this stayed a cult show as it's cool to be part of a smaller, more loyal fanbase.
Old 07-06-17, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Wow, it's around the corner. Looking forward to seeing how it goes.
Old 08-19-17, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts

Premieres tonight 9pm Eastern 8pm Central. I didn't know it was going to air on Saturdays until I checked TVline today.
Old 08-19-17, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn. Yeah, I would have had no idea.
Old 08-19-17, 09:33 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

I thought it was on Sundays. Weird.
Thanks for the reminder. I'll need to buy the season pass on Vudu since I don't subscribe to AMC.
Old 08-19-17, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by lwhy?
Premieres tonight 9pm Eastern 8pm Central. I didn't know it was going to air on Saturdays until I checked TVline today.
Thanks, DVR is set!
Old 08-20-17, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

I can't think of a group of characters I enjoy spending time with more than the ones on this show. I'm going to miss it!
Old 08-20-17, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Good first episode.

It seems like every season Joe is onto a huge idea in which someone keeps beating him to the punch.

Toby Huss has got the Wilford Brimley/John Slattery syndrome. Actors who were under 50 years old and played characters much older without the user of makeup/CGI. Huss is 50 now and is playing a 65 year old in which he realistically looks like.

Still wanna bang the shit out of Kerry Bishé.
Old 08-20-17, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Speaking of which, I thought she was way older than 33. Guess the show makes her just seem older.
Old 08-20-17, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

I don't think there were really a bunch of companies trying to create web browsers before Mosaic came along. Was there anything other than Lynx before Mosaic came along?

Of course Joe came up with the Yahoo/Google/search engine concept before anyone else.

What kind of online service can't kick off users without having the users install updated software?
Old 08-20-17, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wasn't following along that closely on the first episode. Did Donna basically lead the researchers she was investing in to Joe's idea (that she got from Gordon inadvertently over dinner)?
Old 08-20-17, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by windom
I don't think there were really a bunch of companies trying to create web browsers before Mosaic came along. Was there anything other than Lynx before Mosaic came along?
The first graphical web browser was made for Unix. There really wasn't any other popular browser when Mosaic was released - the show just made that up. Netscape followed afterwards, and then others started trickling out.

Of course Joe came up with the Yahoo/Google/search engine concept before anyone else.
Of course... he's invented everything but gets credit for nothing. The show needs to stop doing this. I'm guessing if the show gets to current times, they'll have Joe invent something that's not actually out there yet - just to have him finally be first at something.

What kind of online service can't kick off users without having the users install updated software?
I didn't get that either.

Originally Posted by wirefan
I wasn't following along that closely on the first episode. Did Donna basically lead the researchers she was investing in to Joe's idea (that she got from Gordon inadvertently over dinner)?
Yup, that's basically it. She essentially took Joe's idea of Yahoo and is in the process of creating a Google.

Other than Gordon not wanting to give Bos the money because of the friction it would cause - his mentioning that he's not that rich is kind of surprising. He was rich a few years earlier and now owns/runs this successful company - surely 18k isn't worthy of the shocked expression he gave. I was expecting a much higher number than that.
Old 08-20-17, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, what until Joe finds out that Gordon is giving away his trade secrets.

I'm still a bit unclear on who all is working together. Gordon runs an ISP, right? Joe has a software company that Cameron and Joe are involved in? Donna has her own software company, I think.
Old 08-20-17, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Coral
The first graphical web browser was made for Unix. There really wasn't any other popular browser when Mosaic was released - the show just made that up. Netscape followed afterwards, and then others started trickling out.
Yeah, I'm pretty familiar with the history of Mosaic. I graduated in CS at U of Illinois about a year before Mosaic came out. I vaguely knew some of the guys that went on to work for Netscape and Microsoft (for IE). I still lived there at the time Mosaic was released. I remember using Lynx over dial-up at least.

I never got the idea that there were companies interested in the WWW before Mosaic was released though. It looks like there were a few other web browsers around that time though. From Wikipedia:

The first web browser was invented in 1990 by Sir Tim Berners-Lee. Berners-Lee is the director of the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), which oversees the Web's continued development, and is also the founder of the World Wide Web Foundation. His browser was called WorldWideWeb and later renamed Nexus.[5]

In 1991 after the release of WorldWideWeb, Nicola Pellow developed the first cross-platform web browser, Line Mode Browser, which is credited for making the internet accessible to consumers for the first time.[6]

The first commonly available web browser with a graphical user interface was Erwise. The development of Erwise was initiated by Robert Cailliau.

n 1993, browser software was further innovated by Marc Andreessen with the release of Mosaic, "the world's first popular browser",[7] which made the World Wide Web system easy to use and more accessible to the average person. Andreesen's browser sparked the internet boom of the 1990s.[7] The introduction of Mosaic in 1993 – one of the first graphical web browsers – led to an explosion in web use. Andreessen, the leader of the Mosaic team at National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA), soon started his own company, named Netscape, and released the Mosaic-influenced Netscape Navigator in 1994, which quickly became the world's most popular browser, accounting for 90% of all web use at its peak (see usage share of web browsers).
Old 08-21-17, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

That day long phone conversion was annoying. Could be that I hate talking on the phone.

BTW, I wouldn't have thought so, but Cameron looks amazing with the longer, darker hair.
Old 08-21-17, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So how about that gratuitous Blue Man Group product placement. They followed it up with an actual commercial for BMG shortly after it.
Old 08-22-17, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101
BTW, I wouldn't have thought so, but Cameron looks amazing with the longer, darker hair.
Agreed. She never really did anything for me in the previous seasons, but she looked good here.

If they do another time jump this season and Joe has another genius tech idea (which someone will have beat him to the punch obviously) - anyone wanna make a prediction what that product will be? My guess is he'll invent the Blackberry before RIM does.
Old 08-23-17, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
Other than Gordon not wanting to give Bos the money because of the friction it would cause - his mentioning that he's not that rich is kind of surprising. He was rich a few years earlier and now owns/runs this successful company - surely 18k isn't worthy of the shocked expression he gave. I was expecting a much higher number than that.
That figure was way too low for Gordon to just dismiss any idea of lending it out. The show gave us the impression last season that Gordon's worth was in the millions.
Originally Posted by slop101
That day long phone conversion was annoying. Could be that I hate talking on the phone.
It wasn't just you. Building an entire episode around their phone conversation got boring very quickly. I wonder if they had shooting/schedule limitations and couldn't get the two actors together.
Old 08-23-17, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
It wasn't just you. Building an entire episode around their phone conversation got boring very quickly. I wonder if they had shooting/schedule limitations and couldn't get the two actors together.
I'm guessing it was just a way to show the audience that what they have isn't just physical - but something deeper and more meaningful... even after all these years apart. But I agree, it got annoying after a while.
Old 08-26-17, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Good start to the season as I'm glad the time jump is in the early 90's now, better hair styles and better music (even though I'm a child of the 80's.) I like that Gordon/Donna's daughter is involved now as it maybe an interesting family dynamic that plays out. And I'm in love with Kerry Bische more and more each season!
Old 08-26-17, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
Good start to the season as I'm glad the time jump is in the early 90's now, better hair styles and better music (even though I'm a child of the 80's.)
Sting's Bring On The Night CD came out in 1986, which is single handedly enough to make 80's music better than 90's music. Specifically, Kenny Kirkland's (RIP) piano prowess on the first combo-track (
). (For the impatient just skip to 4:25.)

As it relates to this show, the 90's experienced an explosion of overall technology built upon what came before, but it also lost a lot of the charm. In the 80's, you could get a group of 50 people together (hobbyists) coming up with all kinds of idea and not a single person in the group was thinking about monetizing it. And the idea (relative to what was available at the time) were creative and exciting. There was passion for accomplishment over dollars.

I think the show has done a great job of capturing what the 80's were like in the industry (especially things like Comdex, etc.). That includes the successes, failures, and the sometimes seemingly arbitrary factors that determined which was which. I haven't started watching this season yet, but I'd have a hard time believing the 90's will have any of the charm of the early days.
Old 08-28-17, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

This episode drove home how much Donna has changed over the seasons. She went from devoted mother and wife to a bitchy business shark.

I can't wait to see what happens when her daughter's website competes against Donna's firm.
Old 08-29-17, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

I'm enjoying the season in general, but was especially excited to see Haley had a They Might Be Giants poster in her bedroom! She also made a Kids in the Hall reference (I'm squishing your head). So she's a pretty cool kid!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.