DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Salvation (CBS) -- Series Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/640625-salvation-cbs-series-thread.html)

Eric F 07-02-17 07:01 PM

Salvation (CBS) -- Series Thread

http://www.cbs.com/shows/salvation/

Thank God for Asteroids. If they didn't exist there wouldn't be enough material to fill up the summer schedule.:lol:

How bad will this one be? Meteor bad? Asteroid bad? Deep Impact bad? Armageddon bad? Oh, I could go on...

PhantomStranger 07-03-17 02:26 PM

re: Salvation (CBS) -- Series Thread

Could this fill the hole left in my heart when Under The Dome went off the air?

Eric F 07-03-17 02:52 PM

re: Salvation (CBS) -- Series Thread

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 13107572)
Could this fill the hole left in my heart when Under The Dome went off the air?

Maybe it it was a crater...

dex14 07-12-17 07:08 AM

Re: Salvation (CBS) -- Series Thread

The new suspense thriller SALVATION premieres Wednesday, July 12 (9:00-10:00 PM, ET/PT). The series centers on tech superstar Darius Tanz (Santiago Cabrera) and MIT grad student Liam Cole (Charlie Rowe), who bring Pentagon official Grace Barrows (Jennifer Finnigan) a staggering discovery - that an asteroid is just six months away from colliding with Earth. SALVATION stars Santiago Cabrera, Jennifer Finnigan, Charlie Rowe, Jacqueline Byers, Rachel Drance, Shazi Raja and Ian Anthony Dale. Liz Kruger, Craig Shapiro, who wrote the script (based on the story by Matt Wheeler), are executive producers along with Alex Kurtzman, Heather Kadin, Peter Lenkov and Stuart Gillard for CBS Television Studios in association with Secret Hideout. Academy Award nominated director Juan Carlos Fresnadillo ("Esposados") will direct and serve as executive producer on the first episode.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Aaron Poole as Lazlo
· Charlie Rowe as Liam
· Dennis Boutsikaris as Malcolm Croft
· Erica Luttrell as Claire Rayburn
· Ian Anthony Dale as Harris Anders
· Jacqueline Byers as Jillian
· Jennifer Finnigan as Grace Darrow
· Rachel Drance as Zoe
· Santiago Cabrera as Darius
· Shazi Raja as Amanda Charles

CREW INFORMATION:
· Alex Kurtzman as EP
· Craig Shapiro as CRTR/EP
· Heather Kadin as EP
· Juan Carlos Fresnadillo as EP/DIR (Pilot)
· Liz Kruger as CRTR/EP
· Matt Wheeler as CRTR
· Peter M. Lenkov as EP
· Stuart Gillard as EP

TomOpus 07-12-17 09:57 AM

I wonder how much of the 6 months will pass per episode. Could be the longest 6 months ever.

Inhumans99 07-13-17 12:30 AM

I just posted a comment under Deadline's review of the show that I am bummed that the negative review makes it sound like took much filler and not enough pay-off in each episode. Bummer, I was hoping this would be more Armageddon or Deep Impact, or any end of earth film, such as 2012, lite. If it is as unengaging as the review makes it out to be I might be one and done, but I will probably stick it out to the end even though I should have bailed. Sigh, I have been seeing the promos for the show for the past 6-8 weeks and was so excited.

Edited to add: 38m in and it is fine, not a holy crap what an awesome first mini series episode, but just good enough that I am feeling like there are worse ways to ultimately kill what will be 8 hours of life on this blue marble. The biggest sin is that it is a bit of a bland start to what should be an intense mini series.

OldDude 07-13-17 10:19 AM

My Tivo ended recording 4-5 minutes early just as Liam and Grace were rejoining Darius in "treehouse" to become heroes. Anything exciting happen after that? I was probably close to final commercial and preview.

Quatermass 07-13-17 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by OldDude (Post 13112851)
My Tivo ended recording 4-5 minutes early just as Liam and Grace were rejoining Darius in "treehouse" to become heroes. Anything exciting happen after that? I was probably close to final commercial and preview.

That was the end as far as I can remember.

I didn't think it was too bad, but I just kind of have a feeling it will be a typical summer "let's see how it goes" show where they fart around for 6 or 8 episodes with nothing much happening until it gets greenlit for a second season, when it will air about 4 episodes before getting pulled off the schedule. Like loaning money to a deadbeat, you know there's never going to be a payoff. I'm not sure I want to invest any time in this.

OldDude 07-13-17 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Quatermass (Post 13112869)
That was the end as far as I can remember.

I didn't think it was too bad, but I just kind of have a feeling it will be a typical summer "let's see how it goes" show where they fart around for 6 or 8 episodes with nothing much happening until it gets greenlit for a second season, when it will air about 4 episodes before getting pulled off the schedule. Like loaning money to a deadbeat, you know there's never going to be a payoff. I'm not sure I want to invest any time in this.

Thanks.

I had same impression. Not great, not terrible. It's summer, I have low standards because everything else is reruns or crappy reality shows.

Inhumans99 07-13-17 01:19 PM

I wish there was more intensity...instead people get killed off left and right and the characters on the show are clueless that this is going down. It was messy...and big reveals like those shown in the Treehouse fell flat for me when they should have elicited a reaction that had me going whoa!

Instead of these shadowy goons whacking the college professor and the pentagon satellite dude, they could have been taken to a black site and interrogated to learn what they know and if they could be of value, really brainy types could be of use in helping to avert a catastrophe, instead I groaned because the writers took the weak sauce path of making them red shirts. The writers should have taken a page from The Core and had a D.J. Qualls type character 'hack the world" to keep info from getting out on the web which probably had you groaning when they did this in The Core, but nonetheless the hacking bits of The Core and Qualls character were definitely enjoyable bits of that film. Heck, a world hack is not as far-fetched as people might think...Russia and North Korea are doing this as we speak.

Anyway, I will stop now seeing as how I put way more thought into this than the actual writers of the show.

PhantomStranger 07-13-17 05:30 PM

Anyone else think CBS is trying to tell us something? This is the second time that CBS is pushing a show about a meteor ending all life on the planet. CBS was also behind the CW's No Tomorrow, which had an identical premise handled in a more romantic fashion. The two shows must share a writer, because they dropped a reference to No Tomorrow in the episode.

Anyway, Salvation wasn't bad by the low standards of network summer fare. You can see the basic formula in place with an Elon Musk-like genius leading a team of disparate people to save the world.

MIT boy falls in love very quickly. I was practically expecting a proposal by the end of the first episode.

Thrush 07-15-17 12:35 AM

It was interesting enough that I will stick around for a while.

SmithsGuy 07-17-17 10:53 AM

We'll give it a try as well. Other than frantic Armageddon-style montages of building rockets, not sure how they plan to fill the summer ... :)

IDrinkMolson 07-20-17 09:39 AM

This is included with Amazon Prime the Sunday after it airs.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073WNY361

Inhumans99 07-20-17 04:14 PM

This is turning out to be one of the biggest disappointments of the summer, it can redeem itself if the last episode is where they show the asteroid crashing into earth and it turns out the show runners saved all of their budget to make all of the destruction look great. Otherwise summer shows like Under The Dome were much more entertaining compared to Salvation.

It is two eps in with only 6 more to go...something interesting/cool has to happen soon or I will have derived more excitement from watching paint dry.

Red Dog 07-20-17 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson (Post 13117126)
This is included with Amazon Prime the Sunday after it airs.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073WNY361

So CBS has their own pay streaming service yet they put this up on Amazon Prime. -rolleyes-

Cellar Door 07-20-17 04:59 PM

This is bad. Terrible writing. Stupid and cheesy, and not in a 'so bad it's good' way. I'm out.

PhantomStranger 07-20-17 05:44 PM

It hasn't gone off the rails into ridiculous territory yet. This is simply paint-by-the-numbers CBS action writing for summer series.

It's watchable if you like the cast. It's not great television, but if you haven't noticed the broadcast networks have all but given up on scripted programs in the summer months. This is about the best we'll get these days from them.

DJariya 07-20-17 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Inhumans99 (Post 13117469)

It is two eps in with only 6 more to go...something interesting/cool has to happen soon or I will have derived more excitement from watching paint dry.

Where did you get that info? Futon Critic says it's a 13 episode season. So 11 more to follow

PhantomStranger 08-19-17 07:57 PM

I know some people gave up on this show fairly quickly but it's remained watchable. I wouldn't mind seeing it come back next year.

It's not particularly similar to CBS's prior summer adventures in idiocy.

resinrats 08-20-17 12:10 PM

With only 5 more episodes to go, they really need to speed things up. Just seems to be meandering around with the whole engine plot. I get the feeling they'll get it up there and the asteroid will be diverted all while the general public is unaware of it. A few small chunks will bounce off the atmosphere, creating the fireballs we saw in ads.

The thing the show is named after has had a whole few minutes of screen time and only lightly talked about.

I guess I was dumb enough to think it could be a cool disaster show.

If the show really had balls, the gravity tractor would fail and the asteroid would hit the planet. News gets out and the shit hits the fan. Darias, Grace, a few other main cast and 150 others would launch in Salvation and watch Earth get hit. The show ends with them setting out for Mars to start the colony. An interesting 2nd season could deal with them arriving at Mars and getting the colony going.

PhantomStranger 08-21-17 01:42 PM

I don't think you are ever going to see them in Salvation for any extended stretch of time. I suspect the asteroid gets diverted but breaks up into pieces, hurtling fragments over the Earth. Causing massive damage, countries get into a war.

randian 09-21-17 11:41 AM

I assume this show is toast as far as renewal is concerned.

PhantomStranger 09-21-17 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by randian (Post 13161470)
I assume this show is toast as far as renewal is concerned.

I actually expect it to come back next summer.

SmithsGuy 09-23-17 12:49 PM

Ok finale except I thought the nukes were hanging in the air for an awful long time (enough for people to run back and forth in Tanz several times?) ... So Season 2 becomes a modern day version of the upcoming 100 season? (X days later people exit the Tanz bunker... )