Preacher (AMC) -- Season 2 Thread -- Premieres 6/25/17

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-17, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: Preacher (AMC) -- Season 2 Thread -- Premieres 6/25/17

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
There's some stuff in the comic about Jesse's childhood that would have nicely mirrored that final scene with the Saint. Too bad that stuff hasn't been a part of the show so far.
It has been hinted at.

Spoiler:
We got a scene with him staring at a treasure chest or coffin in a fish tank.
Old 08-01-17, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I hadn't been sold on the guy playing Starr in his brief appearances.

After this latest episode, I am very sold.
Old 08-02-17, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Agree, what a great look at Starr. The training was excellent, including his "self-consumation" and approach to shooting at targets.
Old 08-02-17, 05:09 PM

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

is season 1 or even the new one streaming on any of the services?
Old 08-02-17, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
is season 1 or even the new one streaming on any of the services?
Season 1 is on Hulu.
Old 08-06-17, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
Agree, what a great look at Starr. The training was excellent, including his "self-consumation" and approach to shooting at targets.
The training was fucking gold. Damn that was hilarious.
Old 08-09-17, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Seeing Herr Stars training was fantastic. That being said, i am torturing myself watching this show and hoping it gets better. Its really fucking bad. Negga in my eyes will never have a good scene. Her acting is just abysmal, but even Cooper is not doing a particularly great job. The only decent reason to watch is Gilgun as Cassidy, but even that character only has moments to shine. The whole side story with Assface in Hell is booooooorrrrrrrriiiiiinnnnngggggg. And i hate that makeup job they did on him.

I predict this show won't continue on for much longer. Probably get a third season, but doubt it will make it much beyond that.
Old 08-09-17, 09:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 08-09-17, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

The show is becoming tedious again.
Old 08-09-17, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
The show is becoming tedious again.
That last episode sure was. The whole thing with Jessie trying to get something from the DVD was lame. Same with whatever Tulip is supposedly going through. But it's Tulip, so who cares. Only enjoyable part was Cassidy struggling over turning his kid or not, but even that could have been done far better.
Old 08-15-17, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Words cannot express how few craps I give about Tulip and her one-note acting smirk. And she has taken Jesse down with her. Even Cassidy has become a bore. If it wasn't for the white suits (and mainly Herr Starr) the show would have nothing going for it. It's really getting tough to remember why I'm watching this. One more episode of them moping around that stupid dirge of an apartment and I think I'm done. All style and zero substance.
Old 08-16-17, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cleaver
Literally the only good thing i have seen on this show so far in Season 2. I torture myself watching this crap hoping that it might get better....but it never does.
Old 08-16-17, 09:52 AM

The start of this season, as they were escaping from the Saint (up to and including the small soul subplot and the saint being submerged) was good (except for Tulip's husband side-plot. I cannot say enough how few shits i give about tulip).

Anything with Herr Starr has been pretty golden.

Hell subplot - bleh.

Cassidy/Denis - interesting "decision" subplot, but been going on way too long. Maybe now we'll get some traction.

Jesse's quest for God (once they got the DVD) - meh. They seriously spent like an entire episode at a Best Buy equivalent? jesus.

Tulip - NO ONE GIVES A SHIT
Old 08-17-17, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm kind of surprised at the dislike of S02 in this thread.
I think it has been a really good time so far, and a shit-ton of fun.

Just curious why people are sticking with it (9 eps into a 13 ep season) if they dislike it so much?
Old 08-17-17, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Pointyskull

Just curious why people are sticking with it (9 eps into a 13 ep season) if they dislike it so much?
For me, the episodes including the Saint were really good. The 3 were on the move, the show was going somewhere. Much improved over Season 1.

But since the Saint has been gone, the last few episodes have dragged, aside from the Herr Starr stuff.
Old 08-17-17, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The comic book series was, in my opinion, the single greatest of all time. I keep watching this mess of a show because i continually have the hope that some of the comic book greatness gets put on screen. Even if they managed to capture 30% of the greatness of the comic into the TV show it would be better than 9% of the shit on TV. There have been a few small aspects of the show which do feel or look like the comic, however these are few and far between. As a result we have a show that concerns itself with bullshit stories that have been specifically created for the TV show and go nowhere fast. I mean the whole Assface in Hell was an interesting concept, but its totally failed in execution. Its gone nowhere. Anything relating to Tulip is horrible. Just a waste of screen time.

I am gonna see this out to the end of the season, but unless a miracle occurs in these final episodes, i am done. I don't care to see the Comics shit on any more but this waste of time.
Old 08-17-17, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

This has strayed so far from the source material that they might as well have changed the names and called it something else. Jesse and Tulip have been turned into such unlikeable assholes that you have nobody to root for. The plot is a muddled mess. Arseface in hell (a totally new addition, not from the comics) fell flat on its face/ass. Cassidy have a son is also a new addition that just seems to distract from the plot. The only stuff that works is the Saint and Starr, and that's because they're consistent with the source material. Everything else is just a colossal misfire on every level.
Old 08-17-17, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not a lot going on in TV summer and still holding out hope. There is always a scene or two in most episodes that is really good. But yeah, the majority of it has been a huge disappointment. How many more episodes do we need to see them milling about in the same crappy apartment doing mostly nothing? The Denis thing, Assface in hell, Jesse barely looking for God, and especially Tulip: none of these things are interesting in the least and consume the vast majority of each recent episode.
Old 08-23-17, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Holy shit. Every week I think they can't get more blasphemous, and then they top themselves. The beginning of this episode and then meeting the "current" messiah completely out did themselves though (someone will need to explain how inbreeding can occur if there's no sister/cousin/other family members to reproduce with). It's almost becoming parody of itself.

Having never read the comics, I had no idea people hated this so much. I enjoyed the first season but that the first half of the 2nd season was great. I don't mind Tulip either, although she's definitely been a one note character after the Saint touched her (was hoping she'd snap out of it when the lady lied to her... but no). I'm ready for them to move on to a new place real soon.

Fuck you guys who think Cassidy is boring. I have no idea what you're talking about.
Old 08-23-17, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by Mordred
Holy shit. Every week I think they can't get more blasphemous, and then they top themselves. The beginning of this episode and then meeting the "current" messiah completely out did themselves though (someone will need to explain how inbreeding can occur if there's no sister/cousin/other family members to reproduce with). It's almost becoming parody of itself.
In the comics, it's explained that Jesus' death on the cross was faked and that he went on to marry and have children before being run over and killed by an offal cart.

The Grail collected his children and kept them in captivity for two thousand years, inbreeding them to maintain the purity of the bloodline. By the time the comics took place, there was only one (severely retarded) child from the line still alive after his parents died by suicide, so there was a sense of urgency for the Grail to make its move.

Starr explained, "Son of God or Son of Man, you can't fuck your sister and expect much good to come out of it."
Old 08-23-17, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

40 minutes of Tulip and commercials.
Old 08-25-17, 05:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have the series on record, but not watched the last two episodes. Next time i am bored i will watch them and skip through to the Starr bits and maybe some Cassidy. Anything Tulip is not gettinf watched, so sounds like i can miss an entire episode.
Old 08-31-17, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Mordred

Having never read the comics, I had no idea people hated this so much. I enjoyed the first season but that the first half of the 2nd season was great. I don't mind Tulip either, although she's definitely been a one note character after the Saint touched her (was hoping she'd snap out of it when the lady lied to her... but no). I'm ready for them to move on to a new place real soon.

Fuck you guys who think Cassidy is boring. I have no idea what you're talking about.
I think you and I are in the minority here.
Really enjoying this season....
Old 09-12-17, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

We're done and Herr Starr made that season.
Old 09-12-17, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Agree about Herr Starr, that was the good news. The bad news is that there is no way Tulip stays dead.

The show seems like it should be a lot better than it is, but after this past season I'm not so sure that is actually the case. It's not bad, but that doesn't automatically mean it's good.

The few good parts are heavily weighted down by the much more prevalent boring parts. There are some great lines and flickers of interesting ideas, but despite the subject matter and tone of the show the story is incredibly plodding and dull. It makes it impossible to care about the outcome of any particular situation. As an example, I could have been pleased to see Tulip die, but as I mentioned above I already know there is zero chance she stays that way, so it meant nothing.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.